Different shape width in different views in Excel 2007??

In Excel 2007, I create a shape in "Normal" view and set its width to
any value (e.g. to 15cm). Now I change to "Page Layout" view and guess
what... the width now shows up as something more than 16cm??!
(The width property as points in VBA changes accordingly.)

Switching to "Page Break View" will result in one more different width
value.

Is this "just" a big bug in Excel 2007 or did I miss something??

I know that the selected default printer or the chosen zoom factor may
have an influence on the shown size of a shape, but these discrepancies
are not that big (so far as I observed).

Any hints on this issue will be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
0
Luca
10/10/2007 7:34:17 AM
excel 39879 articles. 2 followers. Follow

I see what you mean in that the nominal width of a shape changes slightly
when you switch between views.  By nominal width I mean that the width
number that appears in the Drawing Tools contextual tab.  By if I size a
shape to fit exactly in a cell and then switch views the shape still fits
exactly in the cell.  So aside from the number appearing in the width box in
the ribbon what difference does it make?

--
Jim
"Luca Brasi" <leluc@_NOSPAM_gmx.ch> wrote in message
| In Excel 2007, I create a shape in "Normal" view and set its width to
| any value (e.g. to 15cm). Now I change to "Page Layout" view and guess
| what... the width now shows up as something more than 16cm??!
| (The width property as points in VBA changes accordingly.)
|
| Switching to "Page Break View" will result in one more different width
| value.
|
| Is this "just" a big bug in Excel 2007 or did I miss something??
|
| I know that the selected default printer or the chosen zoom factor may
| have an influence on the shown size of a shape, but these discrepancies
| are not that big (so far as I observed).
|
| Any hints on this issue will be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

0
jrrech (1933)
10/10/2007 1:33:22 PM
I completely agree that in most cases no Excel user will bother about
this issue.

 > By if I size a shape to fit exactly in a cell and then switch views
 > the shape still fits exactly in the cell.
But I don't agree to that statement! The bigger the column widths are,
the bigger the discrepancies between column and shape width are. For
testing, set the width of column A in Normal view to almost the paper
size width, create a shape in this column with the same width and switch
to Page Layout view. On my machine the column A will show as more than
1cm wider than the shape.

In my special case we have a workbook that must comply with corporate
design guidelines. Means that shapes (logo image, text boxes,
rectangles, etc) and column widths must be set according the design
definitions.

Most of this is done in VBA code. After having migrated to 2007 this
code didn't produce the expected result anymore. I now adjusted it so
that the normal view is set before any positioning or sizing of elements
on the sheet is done.

But as a user might switch back to Page Layout view, he might think that
there is something wrong with his sheet and start to adjust size and
position by himself. And by doing so he will just screw it up more...

After some more testing I'm even more confused. It seems to me that it
is very important if you create a shape in Normal or in Page Layout
view. In my tests, the shape behaved very differently.

Now I think it would be best to do all layout actions in the new Page
Layout view and never in Normal view.

Jim Rech wrote:
> I see what you mean in that the nominal width of a shape changes slightly
> when you switch between views.  By nominal width I mean that the width
> number that appears in the Drawing Tools contextual tab.  By if I size a
> shape to fit exactly in a cell and then switch views the shape still fits
> exactly in the cell.  So aside from the number appearing in the width box in
> the ribbon what difference does it make?

0
Luca
10/11/2007 8:10:07 AM
Just another short remark:
The conclusion I draw in my last post is definitively wrong!
Whenever you have to exactly layout a worksheet (manually or with VBA)
better do NOT do this in Page Layout view! Always use Normal view as
printing (or the print preview) depends on the Normal view.

Luca Brasi wrote:
> I completely agree that in most cases no Excel user will bother about
> this issue.
>
>  > By if I size a shape to fit exactly in a cell and then switch views
>  > the shape still fits exactly in the cell.
> But I don't agree to that statement! The bigger the column widths are,
> the bigger the discrepancies between column and shape width are. For
> testing, set the width of column A in Normal view to almost the paper
> size width, create a shape in this column with the same width and switch
> to Page Layout view. On my machine the column A will show as more than
> 1cm wider than the shape.
>
> In my special case we have a workbook that must comply with corporate
> design guidelines. Means that shapes (logo image, text boxes,
> rectangles, etc) and column widths must be set according the design
> definitions.
>
> Most of this is done in VBA code. After having migrated to 2007 this
> code didn't produce the expected result anymore. I now adjusted it so
> that the normal view is set before any positioning or sizing of elements
> on the sheet is done.
>
> But as a user might switch back to Page Layout view, he might think that
> there is something wrong with his sheet and start to adjust size and
> position by himself. And by doing so he will just screw it up more...
>
> After some more testing I'm even more confused. It seems to me that it
> is very important if you create a shape in Normal or in Page Layout
> view. In my tests, the shape behaved very differently.
>
> Now I think it would be best to do all layout actions in the new Page
> Layout view and never in Normal view.
>

> Jim Rech wrote:
>> I see what you mean in that the nominal width of a shape changes
>> slightly when you switch between views.  By nominal width I mean that
>> the width number that appears in the Drawing Tools contextual tab.  By
>> if I size a shape to fit exactly in a cell and then switch views the
>> shape still fits exactly in the cell.  So aside from the number
>> appearing in the width box in the ribbon what difference does it make?

0
Luca
10/11/2007 11:18:25 AM
It definitely is screwy.  I inserted a large text that spanned across 3
cells exactly in normal view.  When I switch to Page Layout view the width
did not reach all the way across the third cell.  So I widened it in Page
Layout view to fit the 3 cells and I expected it to be too width in normal
view.  But it wasn't!  It still fit exactly in normal view.  Go figure.
Aside from the 'width' you see in the Drawing Tools width box being
different in the two views it at least looks okay. And it looked okay in
print preview too.

--
| Just another short remark:
| The conclusion I draw in my last post is definitively wrong!
| Whenever you have to exactly layout a worksheet (manually or with VBA)
| better do NOT do this in Page Layout view! Always use Normal view as
| printing (or the print preview) depends on the Normal view.
|

| Luca Brasi wrote:
| > I completely agree that in most cases no Excel user will bother about
| > this issue.
| >
| >  > By if I size a shape to fit exactly in a cell and then switch views
| >  > the shape still fits exactly in the cell.
| > But I don't agree to that statement! The bigger the column widths are,
| > the bigger the discrepancies between column and shape width are. For
| > testing, set the width of column A in Normal view to almost the paper
| > size width, create a shape in this column with the same width and switch
| > to Page Layout view. On my machine the column A will show as more than
| > 1cm wider than the shape.
| >
| > In my special case we have a workbook that must comply with corporate
| > design guidelines. Means that shapes (logo image, text boxes,
| > rectangles, etc) and column widths must be set according the design
| > definitions.
| >
| > Most of this is done in VBA code. After having migrated to 2007 this
| > code didn't produce the expected result anymore. I now adjusted it so
| > that the normal view is set before any positioning or sizing of elements
| > on the sheet is done.
| >
| > But as a user might switch back to Page Layout view, he might think that
| > there is something wrong with his sheet and start to adjust size and
| > position by himself. And by doing so he will just screw it up more...
| >
| > After some more testing I'm even more confused. It seems to me that it
| > is very important if you create a shape in Normal or in Page Layout
| > view. In my tests, the shape behaved very differently.
| >
| > Now I think it would be best to do all layout actions in the new Page
| > Layout view and never in Normal view.
| >

| > Jim Rech wrote:
| >> I see what you mean in that the nominal width of a shape changes
| >> slightly when you switch between views.  By nominal width I mean that
| >> the width number that appears in the Drawing Tools contextual tab.  By
| >> if I size a shape to fit exactly in a cell and then switch views the
| >> shape still fits exactly in the cell.  So aside from the number
| >> appearing in the width box in the ribbon what difference does it make?

0
jrrech (1933)
10/11/2007 1:27:29 PM
It's like in Normal view there's kind of a "hidden space" for shapes
between the columns. If you resize a shape in Page Layout view and don't
  make changes bigger than this hidden space, it don't show up in Normal
view (and in print output).
(I don't know if anyone will understand what I'm writing here, I hardly
can understand it by myself...)

And what's more: If you check the length of text in a (rather wide)
cell, the text is shown in Page Layout view like it is printed. But in
Normal view it is much shorter.
Now that would be a reason to use Page Layout view for properly
designing a worksheet...

Jim Rech wrote:
> It definitely is screwy.  I inserted a large text that spanned across 3
> cells exactly in normal view.  When I switch to Page Layout view the width
> did not reach all the way across the third cell.  So I widened it in Page
> Layout view to fit the 3 cells and I expected it to be too width in normal
> view.  But it wasn't!  It still fit exactly in normal view.  Go figure.
> Aside from the 'width' you see in the Drawing Tools width box being
> different in the two views it at least looks okay. And it looked okay in
> print preview too.

0
Luca

Excell graphs
Hello, I would like to make a grafh with excell but seem to be very lost. :confused: I would like the graph to go horisontal left to right continous(one bar.) Like a time-line. Thanks for any tips -- dammit1 ------------------------------------------------------------------------ dammit1's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=16311 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=278285 By 'time-line', do you mean a gantt chart? http://pubs.logicalexpressions.com/Pub0009/LPMArticle.asp?ID=343 http://peltiertech...

Excel slow to epen with Network Connection
Hi Excel 2003 has recently become very slow to open. Regardless of the workbook / file. I have disabled all Add-In's and cleaned out the temp folder. The slow down appears to be related to having a live network / internet connection. If I disable my connection or pull out my network cable and launch Excel it opens straight away, if I plug it back in or re-enable it it takes 30-45 seconds to open. I have added Excel to the Windows Firewall exception list but it still takes around 15-25 seconds to open a workbook. Any ideas what its doing? I have read somewhere online about it bef...

Pulling data daily from a differently named report everyday
Hello, I have a spreadsheet where I use formulas to pull data from multiple reports on a shared server everyday. What I do is to save those reports under a certain name everyday since the formulas have to have the static report name in them to pull data. (For example, A1 may pull data from c:\reportfolder\reportA, B1 may pull from c: \reportfolder2\reportB, etc). In these report folders our IT group runs a new report in it everyday but of course they change the name of the report every day (to reflect the date) . . so in the reportfolder there will be "reportA-3-12-2009", and "...

Table relationships in Excel?
Hello, I have an excel file exported from SQL server. There are two tables 1. User (columns: id, name, address, etc) 2. Tasks (columns: id, userid, description) Is there a way to display the user NAME insead of the ID in the tasks table? Many thanks in advance! Saturnius You could do a vlookup on the linked field. If id is the same in both tables use a vlookup function "saturnius" wrote: > Hello, > I have an excel file exported from SQL server. There are two tables > 1. User (columns: id, name, address, etc) > 2. Tasks (columns: id, userid, description) > > Is...

How do I go from "Chart View" to "Pivot Table Form" in a Pivot ta.
While in an Excel Pivot table created in Access, I somehow became "stuck" in a bar chart view. I'd like to view my data in "Pivot Table Form" not as a chart. Is there a toggle button or some other way to get back to a Pivot tble form? Thanks If it's an embedded Excel file, there should be sheet tabs along the bottom of the window. You probably had a cell selected in the PivotTable, then clicked the Chart Wizard button, and it inserted a new sheet for the PivotChart. Click on the other sheet tabs, and you should find the pivot table. Jersey Girl wrote: &g...

Customizing multiple views
Greetings all, I was recently tasked with adding an extra column to the views on our leads, and initially found myself having to add the column to each of the seven or so views we were using one view at a time. I then needed to add yet another column, which was again applied to each view in turn. This has left me wondering if perhaps I've been stupid and missed something here, such as a "parent" view which the others inherit from (this appears not to be the case for the "Default Public View"), or some other way of making the same change to several views. Than...

change excel pointer
Hiw can I change the colour of the white excel mouse pointer? Not an Excel question since changing the mouse pointer applies to all apps. Use Start|Control Panel->Mouse; open Pointers tab and make a selection. I hope no one else uses the computer! best wishes -- Bernard V Liengme www.stfx.ca/people/bliengme remove caps from email "sarahc" <sarahc@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:6D8625A7-EBDB-4A1F-B10D-969EE94BAA62@microsoft.com... > Hiw can I change the colour of the white excel mouse pointer? Hi, all; I'm using a different color mouse pointer...

Converting Outlook XP .pst to Outlook 2007 format
I installed Office 2007 over my existing Office XP. I prefer to keep my .pst file in a location that is easily found, I keep it in C:\1data\Outlook. When I try to convert it to the new format it tells me the file is in use, of course it is in use, I have to have Outlook open to convert. How do I get around that? I still wish to keep it in the same location as my two backup programmes, Outlook backup and Datakeeper backup, are pointed there. Thank you How are you trying to convert it? http://www.slipstick.com/outlook/ansi-to-unicode.asp -- Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook] Author, Teac...

How to programme this in excel?
This is what I want to know.. cell B1 & C1 is the cell to enter the duties of two staffs (namely X & Y). B1 is for staff X, C1 is for staff Y. staff can chose any one of duty in B1 & C1 frm a dropdownlist of 10 different duties(like "Break shift", "10 - 6 PM", "10 - 2 PM"..and so on).. We have another cell D1 E1 & F1 where we enter the staff strength in the shop on three intervals of time (say 10 - 2PM, 2 - 6PM, & 6 - 10PM) Assume D1 cell to show the staffs present in the shop during time interval 10 - 2PM, E1 for 2 - 6PM & F...

Different margins on different pages
I am setting up a template for letters at work. The first page of our letterhead has one ste of margins and all subsequent pages will have a different sent of margins. I know that section breaks can be used, but if staff copy and paste text from existing letters into this new template, the section break moves. Is there any way of locking the section break to the page? so the pasted text goes over the top of it? Hi Lilly80, You could setup your document with a 'different first page' layout. That allows the first page to have a different set of margins to the rest o...

Different values for error bars in series
In Excel 2007, how do you put in different error bar values for each data point in a series? So far I am only able to put in one value for all in my bar chart. Hi, See Jon's blog on the subject. http://peltiertech.com/WordPress/error-bars-in-excel-2007/#comments Cheers Andy On 06/04/2010 15:52, wdwind1 wrote: > In Excel 2007, how do you put in different error bar values for each data > point in a series? So far I am only able to put in one value for all in my > bar chart. -- Andy Pope, Microsoft MVP - Excel http://www.andypope.info ...

Excel 2007: No screen refresh
Hello I have a network which around 30 Windows XP pcs, incl. Office 2007 Pro. All updates are installed. Under some circumstance, Excel 2007 will not refresh the screen, for example when Excel was minimized and will maximized. I saw this problem not on all pcs but on some. I did also update the graphic card driver and on one pc I changed also the graphic card. Do you know this problem? Is there a workaround? Kind regards, Martin Schweizer ...

How to add a description to an excel table
Hello, how can I add a decription to an excel table? I want to set a name and a description of a table content. So I know, what data is contained in a table. My workspace contains more than one table. bye Click on any cell in your table(s). Then Insert > Comment -- Gary''s Student "Przemyslaw" wrote: > Hello, > how can I add a decription to an excel table? > I want to set a name and a description of a table content. So I know, what > data is contained in a table. My workspace contains more than one table. > bye ...

"Excel needs to close"
Frequently, when turning my computer on, I will get the error message, "Microsoft Excel for Windows has encountered a problem and needs to close". It has not been left on nor was it used in the previous session of computer use. I am using XP Home. How can I fix it or should I even be concerned? Check to see what is starting up when you boot your computer up. See if anything is in teh startup folder, check using msconfig as well "Ed Mullikin" <edmull2@cox.net> wrote in message news:3om_h.111445$s8.90157@newsfe21.lga... > Frequently, when turning my comp...

Can't save Excel using Save button,
When I try to save an Excel spreadsheet, I get a message saying "GWXL97.xla could not be found. Check spelling of file name and verify that the file location is correct." I have never named any of files by that name and don't know what it refers to. I have to hit the "X" button on the upper right hand corner and wait for it to ask me if I want to save it, then go through the save process. This happens even if I try to save changes to an existing excel document This may help... xl: close button is dimmed after groupwise is installed http://support.microsoft.com...

Unable to open embedded word document from Excel
Hi, I have Excel 2003 (SP3) installed on my computer. In an Excel file, I inserted a word object (created from file, display as icon) and the insertion worked fine. When I try to open my word document from Excel, nothing happens. No error message and the file doesn't open. It is like if my file icon is simply a draw. When I open the same Excel file with another computer(Excel 2003), I can open my word embedded object easily. In fact, I can insert Excel or txt object in Word document without any problem but everything I insert in Excel doesn't work (word, txt, et...

A Different CRM for GP
Hello, We are pondering the idea of implementing MS Dynamics CRM. However, I am curious whether anyone else has had success in integrating a different CRM product with GP 10.0. It's not that we don't like the MS product; I just like to ensure I have covered all bases. Our partner does not have any other recommendations as they have not worked with any other CRM applications. Any information would be greatly apprecaited. Thank you, -- Jessie GoldMine is a good product, very mature, and easier to maintain table structures. There are links to GP but I cannot remember the fir...

Copying spinners for each cell in Excel 2003?
I have an inventory tracking sheet that keeps track of my inventory. I've added in a spinner control to increase/decrease a value in a certain cell. In my worksheet, the value is located in column E, and the spinner control is in column F. I have about 200 spinners to add, and need to fill down the links to it's adjacent cell. I found something related to checkboxes, but how do I adapt it for the spinner control? The first value is in E3, and the first spinner is in F3. Create 200 spiners in F3:F203 and link to E3:E203 Sub add_spinners_and_links() Dim myRng As Range Dim Spnr...

2 users access calendar online with different rights
hi user A wants to give user B permission to see, add and edit entries in calendar online http://www.exchangedomain.ch/usersname/kalender/ user B is able to see, but not to add or edit entries at the moment in outlook itself its working. user B can open the folder calendar of user A and make entries and change entries what have to be done that this is possible also with web access exchange ? thankx mike schwarz On Thu, 26 Oct 2006 14:09:29 +0200, "Mike Schwarz" <ctek@ctek.ch> wrote: >hi > >user A wants to give user B permission to see, add and edit entries in &...

character spacing Excel 2003
How does one get all numbers in a column to have set spacing instead of proportional spacing? I remember setting proportional or fixed back in the days of DOS, and haven't used it since and I'm unable to find it in Microsofts online help for either Excel or Word (2003). Try using a fixed width font like Courier or Courier New. -- Biff Microsoft Excel MVP "Joe" <JOsterheim@gmail.com> wrote in message news:nfvtf3t6lq188pkavtqadelnas3a5i28be@4ax.com... > How does one get all numbers in a column to have set spacing instead > of proportional spacing? I remember...

Same column, different cell width at different row
I have tried inserting a break and split, didn't work. I just want to separate the top half of a page with the bottom half so I can apply different cell width on the same column. Or how would I be able to do this? Same column but different cell width. Thanks! Glenn You can't do that. -- Cordially, Chip Pearson Microsoft MVP - Excel Pearson Software Consulting, LLC www.cpearson.com "Glenn Chung" <GlennChung@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:20746997-9D99-4684-A352-120370D27036@microsoft.com... >I have tried inserting a break and split, di...

Outlook 2007 mail templates
I have som old html mail templates i used in office 2003, i can't figure out how i use them in office 2007, how do i install them into office 2007? html stationery or outlook template format? -- Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook] Author, Teach Yourself Outlook 2003 in 24 Hours Need Help with Common Tasks? http://www.outlook-tips.net/beginner/ Outlook 2007: http://www.slipstick.com/outlook/ol2007/ Outlook Tips by email: dailytips-subscribe-request@lists.outlooktips.net Outlook Tips: http://www.outlook-tips.net/ Outlook & Exchange Solutions Center: http://www.slipstick.com Subscribe to ...

Fixed Assets
When using the Fixed Asset module, I am finding some small differences when compared to the Depreciation calculated by the External Accountants for tax purposes. Client would like to match exactly to the amounts calculated by external accounts. What is the best way to fix this issue? thanks, -- Patti Need more info Patti. What are the depreciation methods/settings that are creating the differences? Does this occur on every asset or just some? Frank Hamelly MCP-GP, MCT, MVP East Coast Dynamics www.eastcoast-dynamics.com get your gptip42today at www.gp2themax.blogs...

Outlook 2007 asking for Trusted Sites?
Each time my user opens Outlook 2007, a small box pops up saying "The current webpage is trying to open a site in your Trusted sites list. Do you want to allow this? current site: go.microsoft.com trsuted site: www.usa.gov After he clicks "OK" twice, Outlook opens fine. Very annoying...what's causing this? Thanks! ...

Selecting the correct records for mailing labels based on SQL Server view
I need to print some mailing labels. I work with an adp Access frontend and a SQL Server backend. The problem is this: I need to print address labels for all the people whose birthday falls within a given month. So far I have a SQL Server view that generates the names, addresses, and birthday months (e.g. 1, 2, 3, ...) for the people I need to send mail to. I have a report for the labels that is based on this view and includes the name and address. I have a form that brings up the label report in preview mode. On this form I have a combo box that allows the user to specify the birthday month...