detect a filled out cell

Hi,

I would like to check a column.
If a cell has text, i want to increase a counter.
could it be done using SUMIF ?

something like SUMIF(Page1!A:A;cell <>"";total=total+1)

i don't want to use VBA
thanks,
Alain

0
no.valid (6)
1/15/2004 9:29:39 AM
excel 39879 articles. 2 followers. Follow

Hi Alain,

=COUNTIF(A:A,"<>")

It will count all non-empty cells, also numbers

--

Kind Regards,

Niek Otten

Microsoft MVP - Excel

"Alain R." <no.valid@email.com> wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> I would like to check a column.
> If a cell has text, i want to increase a counter.
> could it be done using SUMIF ?
>
> something like SUMIF(Page1!A:A;cell <>"";total=total+1)
>
> i don't want to use VBA
> thanks,
> Alain

0
nicolaus (2022)

MultiWorkbook Change Event Detection / Spell Checker
Excel 2003 or 2007. Looking to be able to force spell checking whenever any cell content is is changed. I've been successful on a single workbooks by adding Spell Check execution on Worksheet_Change. I'm hoping to take this one step further - make it an 'Add-In' so the check will run for any workbook. It looks like the Worksheet_Change event only triggers for the host workbook so an 'Add-in' will not do the job. Any suggestions to force spell checking on a change for any workbook/worksheet I modifiy? TIA, - Pat The way I would go about this i...

How to detect changes in a column?
If I have a table with sales forecast data (columns) like Customer, Amount and Status, what would be the best way to track changes in this table so I can compare my forecast week after week? -- inomata ------------------------------------------------------------------------ inomata's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=18938 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=493571 ...

Shrink Cells
Hi all, If I have a range of cells, say 4 x 4, can i shrink each cell data to smaller range of cells, say 3 x 3/2 x 2? Thanks -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com kaon wrote: > Hi all, > > If I have a range of cells, say 4 x 4, can i shrink each cell data to > a smaller range of cells, say 3 x 3/2 x 2? I really, really don't understand what you mean. Please give an example. -- To top-post is human, to bottom-post and snip is sublime. One try .. Suppose the 4 x 4 range is A1:D4 Select A1:D4 and click Copy Click on a cell outside of the range, say on A7 ...

Cell border format.
When I say no border for a cell I still see a light grey line in some places at the cell border. What is that and how do I get rid of it? Thanks, Mike Mike I suspect it's the grid lines. Select Tools | Options | View tab and unselect Grid lines Regards Trevor "Mike Klick" <mike@grayce.net> wrote in message news:OAKAzrv9DHA.1504@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl... > When I say no border for a cell I still see a light grey line in some places > at the cell border. What is that and how do I get rid of it? > > Thanks, > > Mike > > You can also add a bu...

detect and repair
my outlook 2002 had some hyperlink problems which were corrected when i used the 'detect and repair' option in help. now i have lost my addresses and all the e-mail that was in my inbox. How do i recover these items? Check this page for all you need to know: http://www.slipstick.com/config/backup.htm -- Aloha, -Ben- Ben M. Schorr, OneNote-MVP http://home.hawaii.rr.com/schorr **I apologize but I am unable to respond to direct requests for assistance. Please post questions and replies here in the newsgroup. Mahalo! "Mark Conner" <mdconner@prodigy.net> wrote ...

Duplicate detection detecting inactive records?
Is there any way to configure duplicate detection to not look at inactive records? I can't find any way to set this on the rules. Thank you! ...

count
What formula do I need to count a range where the cells contain a formula. The cell range formula returns a text value. example: A1:A10 contain a formula that will return a text result A11 contains a formula to return the number of cells that have a result in in A1:A10 Any formulas I have tried count the formulas also. Assume that you are having value in A Column Like this.. A Column ABC DEF 5646 ZYX 65466 Try this formula in B1 cell for finding the Text Values from A1:A5. =COUNTA(A1:A5)-COUNT(A1:A5) =COUNTA(A1:A5) will count the Total number cells which is ...

Different Fill Area on Simple Bar
Windows XP Professional Office 2000 I have a simple bar graph that shows the number of times a specific "reason code" is used and only the top ten reason codes are shown on the graph. Now, any reason code can fall into one of two different buckets. I've been tasked with altering my graphs to not only show the number of occurrences for each reason code, but to change the fill area of the bars based on bucket assignment. I will leave one bucket property as default, but would like to change any reason code bar that falls into the second bucket to a different pattern. I...

Text formatting in cells
Hi, I am working with cells that are formatted as Text and set to wrap. However, when I enter text that wraps to multiple lines, and I move focus off of that cell, all that appears there are ##################### characters. Has anyone seen this? If so, what causes this? And how does one fix this? Thanks in advance, Tom You have a couple of replies to your other post. (One of them is try setting the format to General) Tom wrote: > > Hi, > > I am working with cells that are formatted as Text and > set to wrap. However, when I enter text that wraps to > multiple li...

How to Detect and prevent CD burn
HI, How can i stop to CD burn of any file from my system to CD.How to detect the event of CD burn and how can i stop CD burn.Basically i want to secure my file from CD burn. plz reply soon. regds vinay sheel vinays@aditi.com Vinay wrote: > HI, > How can i stop to CD burn of any file from my system to CD.How to detect the > event of CD burn and how can i stop CD burn.Basically i want to secure my > file from CD burn. You can restrict access to a file only to a certain users through NT/win200 access privileges. You can encrypt a file and therefore restrict access to a file on...

Is there a quick shortcut to swap the data in two cells?
I'm working with large address spreadsheets that have some of the address data reversed. I cut one cell and paste to an empty cell then cut and paste the other cell in the cell that I just cut from. Then I cut the first one I moved and paste it where the second one was. Is there a shortcut to just swap the two? Thanks. Earl B. Hi Earl, - Select either of the two cells - Point at the black border - <Shift>-drag this cell to the other side of the neighbouring cell (You'll see a T-bar moving over tour sheet) Frans "eburris" <eburris@discussions.microsoft.com>...

cell wrapping
I have used page setup to fit an large table onto an A3 sheet. The cells are the right size but I cannot get the font to fill the cells. The font is tiny and difficult to read. How can I increase the size of the font on a page? --- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com/ Click on the top left corner of the page (between the A and the one) i should highlight the whole page. right click in the highlighted area, Format cells - Alignment - uncheck "Shrink to fit" - OK That should work Jennifer baldrik123 wrote: > *I have used page setup to fit an large table onto ...

My Computer not detecting my external harddrive
I have a IDE hard drive with USB casing and connected to my USB port. The problem is the hard drive partitions are not shown up in My computer. But My Computer->Manage->Storage->Disk management shows the hard drive with 3 partitions and all the three are healthy.I know there are a few bad sectors. I am sure I have not made any changes in registry that prevents drives from being shown. Please help me. Do the partitions have drive letters assigned? karthikaravind wrote: > I have a IDE hard drive with USB casing and connected to my USB port. > The problem is the ha...

unable to fill out template
I downloaded a estimate template and opened in word 2007, changed the personal info but I want to fill out the form but it will not let me. please help I am new to microsoft word. Thanks, Ryan From where did you get the template? -- Hope this helps. Please reply to the newsgroup unless you wish to avail yourself of my services on a paid consulting basis. Doug Robbins - Word MVP, originally posted via msnews.microsoft.com "rhinolink" <rhinolink@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:B81F489E-7ADD-4C0B-B47D-24BAC7053F67@microsoft.com... > I...

making all formulas appear in the cells instead of values
Hi all, How do I make all the existing formulas in a worksheet appear on it, instead of the resulting values? I opened a worksheet that have looks this way, but I don't know how it was done. Thanks in advance, Alejandro I found it out! tools/options/view/formulas Thx! -- Alejandro Caballero Aste Ministerio de Econom�a y Finanzas Direcci�n General de Asuntos de Econom�a Internacional, Competencia e Inversi�n Privada Tlf 311-5930 Axo 3536 ecaballero@mef.gob.pe "Alejandro Caballero Aste" <ecaballero@mef.gob.pe> wrote in message news:%23qJrSVgVHHA.4796@TK2MSFTNGP05...

Copy cell to a new cell #2
In Column B I have certain values which start with GB2 e.g GB2-02210. I would to like to copy these values and paste it in another cell. I would like to do this with only values which start with GB2. Many thanks -- Message posted via http://www.officekb.com I would use Data>Filter>Autofilter and use custom>begins with... -- HTH Nick Hodge Microsoft MVP - Excel Southampton, England www.nickhodge.co.uk nick_hodgeTAKETHISOUT@zen.co.uk.ANDTHIS "mohd21uk via OfficeKB.com" <u20517@uwe> wrote in message news:5ede27c5beb13@uwe... > In Column B I have certain values ...

Create static text from cell reference

cell format problems
Hi, Using Excel 2002. I am having trouble finding the right cell format to paste a number into that I get off of normal html web page. The problem is that I lose the leading zeros The number may be like this 0083045 so I cut and then past and what I get is 83045 I have tried many cell formatting styles and it doesn't work. Thanks, - Jeff Atom -------------------------------------------------------------- Hi Jeff, One way is format the cell as custom 0000000 HTH Martin Thanks, I did that, but it worked one way and not the other Did work put in number 0083045 whi...

Fill a 15 Characters Data with Zeros
I am getting nuts with this.... I have an amount in A1: 108.203 And I need to fill A2 that must be 15 characters with the value of A1 and the remain characters before the first number (1) must be fill with Zeros. E.I.: The result must be: A2= 00000000108.203 Is there a way to do it? Thanks in advance for your help. Maybe... =text(a1,rept("0",11)&".000") Is the number of decimal places always 3? ileanardz wrote: > > I am getting nuts with this.... > > I have an amount in A1: 108.203 > > And I need to fill A2 that m...

How to Select Multiple Cells Conforming to A Certain Criteria Automatically?
Dear all, I have a big table containing a lot of data in my worksheet. Within a particular column, I want to select cells whose row numbers form an arithmetic progression with a common difference 8(e.g. G6, G14, G22, ...). At the moment, I can only perform this task by selecting the cells individually while pressing "Ctrl", however, due to the large number of data in the table, this work is very tedious. Does anyone know if there is an automatic way to select these cells? Thank you. Best wishes, Alex, This code can do the job for you. Sub SelectCells() Dim rng1 As Range ...

GUID is not detected by server .& cannot go offline...SFO.
why is the server not detecting the GUID attached to the subject line of email...what could be the problem... Also i am not able to go offline ..I get an error Domain canot be contacted or does not exist... Any sugestions... Thanks a million. ...

Macro: How to create a new excefile
Hey guys You have given me a helping hand on severel occassions, and I hope you will do it again. In my excel-file (exmpl): UserWorkBook.xls the UserID is specified in cell A1 - Exmpl cellvalue A1 is "USER001" When updating this UserWorkBook.xls I want the macro to create a backup file - named as USER001BACKUP.xls and savet into a given folder - expml: USERBACKUP. The macro only copys all values and formats from [UserWorkBook.xls]Sheet1! into this backup-file. If the file USER001BACKUP.xls allready exists - this earlier versjon should be deleted before saving the new one - or just ...

How to store relative cell values in variables & check it
I wish to know how to store the relative cell reference in a variable that can be checked while designing a macro in MSOffice 2003. Hi, Like this r = Range("A1").Address(0, 0) change to zeroes to 1's for different address types -- Mike When competing hypotheses are otherwise equal, adopt the hypothesis that introduces the fewest assumptions while still sufficiently answering the question. "B Subramanian Raman [Bala]" wrote: > I wish to know how to store the relative cell reference in a variable that > can be checked while designing...

auto fill numbering
I'm using access 2000 and I'm wondering if it's possible to do something like excel does. What I'm looking to do is to be able to highlight a few serial numbers that have already been put into the table and just drag down so that they numbers will continue withhout having to type them all. I can't use Auto number because the serial numbers will repeat themselves when I change part numbers. Any suggestions?? thank you No, you can't do that in Access. You can add records programmatically though. See the MakeData() function here: http://allenbrowne.com/ser-3...

Surpressing plot of blank cells
I'm creating a line chart plot using Excel 2007. The data range for plot lines contains some blank cells. These blank cells get plotted as zero points. How do I change this behavior to plot only points that have values and to leave the blank cells unplotted? I appreciate your help, -John Hi, If they are truly blank then check the plot empty cells setting via. Select Data > Hidden and Empty cells. If the Cells in fact contain formula then use NA() instead of "". This will suppress the data marker but will not break the line. Alternatively use Autofilter to hide un...