Deleting or cancelling large amount of data in excel

Got the following problem apparently easy but it's driving me crazy.
I've a large file (c40mb) containing large matrices full of datas and
formulas (ie thousands of rows / approx 100 columns)
Whenever I try to delete the content (or clear content) of one of this
large matrices excel takes ages to do it.

I have tried (note: calculation is switched to manual):
- clear all
- clear content
- delete columns
- copy and paste special as value and then delete but when I paste it
takes ages

always the same story: minutes to do it.

PLEASE HELP. I'M STUCK
Giovanni

0
giorus (1)
9/13/2006 1:42:18 PM
excel 39880 articles. 0 followers. Follow

HI

Do you have any event driven macros in the worksheet?
If so, in the immediate window of the VBE type
Application.EnableEvents = False     and press Enter

Then carry out your deletions or clearing.

When you have finished go back to the VBE and type.
Application.EnableEvents = True     and press Enter

--
Regards

Roger Govier

"giorus" <giorus@gmail.com> wrote in message
> Got the following problem apparently easy but it's driving me crazy.
> I've a large file (c40mb) containing large matrices full of datas and
> formulas (ie thousands of rows / approx 100 columns)
> Whenever I try to delete the content (or clear content) of one of this
> large matrices excel takes ages to do it.
>
> I have tried (note: calculation is switched to manual):
> - clear all
> - clear content
> - delete columns
> - copy and paste special as value and then delete but when I paste it
> takes ages
>
> always the same story: minutes to do it.
>
> PLEASE HELP. I'M STUCK
> Giovanni

0
roger5293 (1126)
9/13/2006 3:43:34 PM
try hilighting 1 colum at a time and delete that it might be a bit time
consuming but it will eventually clear the sheet
or you could run a macro to clear several rows at a time

try this , but it will only delete if there are no cells protected/ hidden
the macro will delete 20 rows at a time, and loops 10 times deleting a max
of 1000 rows
(if you find this soloution works or you have to amended it please post it
to the group for all to see - thanks)

Sub DELROWS()
'
' DELROWS Macro
'
    myNum = 10                  ' you can change this value but not to high
    counter = 0

    Do While myNum > counter
        myNum = myNum
       counter = counter + 1
'
    Rows("1:20").Select        ' selects top 20 rows you can change this
value also
    Selection.Delete Shift:=xlUp
 Loop
End Sub

"giorus" <giorus@gmail.com> wrote in message
> Got the following problem apparently easy but it's driving me crazy.
> I've a large file (c40mb) containing large matrices full of datas and
> formulas (ie thousands of rows / approx 100 columns)
> Whenever I try to delete the content (or clear content) of one of this
> large matrices excel takes ages to do it.
>
> I have tried (note: calculation is switched to manual):
> - clear all
> - clear content
> - delete columns
> - copy and paste special as value and then delete but when I paste it
> takes ages
>
> always the same story: minutes to do it.
>
> PLEASE HELP. I'M STUCK
> Giovanni

0
Fennis (13)

How to Recover Deleted Sent Mail?

How to open Excel sheet with more than 64000 lines
I am using Office 2002, and have received Excel files with greater than 64000 line items. Is there a way , or an update, with Excel 2002 to open files this large? You need to upgrade to Excel 2007. "mgoehring" wrote: > I am using Office 2002, and have received Excel files with greater than 64000 > line items. Is there a way , or an update, with Excel 2002 to open files this > large? Yes, but not more than 65536. For that you would need Excel 2007. -- David Biddulph "mgoehring" <mgoehring@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message ne...

Cannot delete subreport

keying in data in cell
I have a form that has several lines. I want to know without looking at the form when the data will not show on the line. I do not want to wrap the text, but to go to the next row to continue to put in the data. Is there an easy way to do this. Any help will be appreciated. thank you mac ...

Rule for Deleted Items

Can't see pictures in Excel / Word
When I open Excel or Word documents with pictures in them I can't see them. Also when I copy / paste a picture into a document I only see the picture border and a small box with a red cross in it. The only way to see those pictures is in Web page preview or going into bitmap image object and selecting edit, but when done the image is gone again. In options / view / picture placeholders is unchecked, drawings is checked. Kr, Peter So can you see the pictures in Publisher? Have you checked out your graphics card driver? Read the third FAQ here. It is Publisher specific but it is rel...

What to do to improve this:Outlook is retrieving data from the Microsoft Exchange Server server_name.
Out2002, Exch2000SP3. Users at times complain that they are getting those pop up messages Outlook is retrieving data from the Microsoft Exchange Server server_name. I just want to confirm that if I install a global catalog on the site where users are getting this, that should improve the situation right ? Is the message below generated only when the Outlook client "takes too long" to retrieve data from the GC ? Something else that could cause that behavior ? On Mon, 18 Oct 2004 10:40:57 -0700, "Marlon Brown" <marlon_brown@hotmail.com> wrote: >Out2002, Exc...

Manipulating Pivot Table Data Fields
Hi all, Have a question regarding the Data Field in pivot tables. I have a number of rows that have repeating values. What I want in the Data Field (Sum) is a count of DISTINCT values in the column. ie: FR065817 \ FR065817 |----> counted as one FR065817 / FR066154 \___> counted as one FR066154 / FR066158 -----> counted as one FR066159 \___> counted as one FR066159 / However I need all the data in the table as I'm using other columns for different fields in the pivot table. Is there a way to do this? If I have to split the table somehow, I'm willing to do...

Question about Exch2k3 SP2 75gb data store limits
I am about to roll out Exchange 2003 SP2 in a fresh environment, and was curious about what the 75GB limits on the databases encompasses. Since Exchange 2003 Standard supports up to four databases, does this mean I can have four individual 75 GB databases running under Exchange 2003 Standard, or does it mean the total of all four databases can't exceed 75 GB, therefore requiring Exchange 2003 Enterprise? Not sure where you obtained that information from - Exchange Server 2003 Standard does not support 4 databases. You can have 2 - one Mailbox Store and one Public Folder Store. ht...

how can I export data by VBA and specify type of delimitor
I want to export data from excel by VBA and specify to use ',' as delimitor. but I can only export a file rename to .csv. but when I open it, it still a excel file, but not a text file. How can I do it? Million thanks. You could (temporarily???) change your windows list separator: Windows start button|Settings|control panel regional and language Settings Options applet. regional Options tab|customize button List separator near the bottom of the dialog. Or you could use a macro. You could borrow some code from one of these sites: Chip Pearson's: http://www.cpearson.com/excel/...

Default Data Form
I have a basic worksheet for which I like to use the default data entr form. In other words it benefits from using a form but is just no worth a lot of custom form making. However while I do have an auto_open macro that moves to the first ne row in the range after all existing records, and then ends o ShowDataForm. But the default form always opens on the first record i the list. Is there a simple way to make the default form open on the row of th active cell, , instead of at the top of the list ? Thanks. Doug Lon -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com Maybe something li...

Unable To Read Certain fields in Linked Excel Sheet to Access
I am using Acc 2003, but Acc 2007 should work the same (I think). I have linked an excel spreadsheet into my Access database. Almost all of the fields are available and can be read. There are a few fields that I can see in Access, but its in Excel. These fields were using a VLookUp function in excel to get the value from another excel worksheet. Also the linked excel sheet has fields that I believe should be text (in Access), but its was set to be a number. I am unable to change this. Is there a way to resolve this issue for me ??? I also assume that if I was to rea...

Using c# object in Excel VBA
Hi All I have writen an COM Object in C# to use it in Excel. This Object has a Function that delivers a List of Users from a Database. My problem is now that I get the List of Users but it is not posible to get one of the Properties of the User. But when I create a new Object with Set user = CreateObject("GuptaIntferface.UserVOCom") I can see all Properties of this object. My Question is now how can I tell VBA now that the objects in the List are the UserVOCOM Objects? thx for help Michael I'm kind of stabbing the dark on this one as I've never worked with a C...

Delete macros

Transfer of data #2
I have a database of information in excel and need a formula for compiling totals and transferring it to the main worksheet page. Basically it is a payment tracker - I put in todays date, account number, payment amount, etc and hit submit - it then sends this info onto the next worksheet page (the database). On the main page I have weekly, and monthly totals. I need it to update the weekly monthly totals based on the actual week and month - not last 7 days or last 30 days. How can i do this? Ultimately what it needs to do is go to the second page and grab all the info for the curren...

OK to delete Deleted Items folder?

How to delete chart

selecting data from a database
I'll try my best to explain what i I want to do.... I have a databse that contains a list of times recorded by athletes over various distances. I would like ot be able to run a macro that compiles a report by selecting personal best times by athletes name for the various distances. the database is continually added to, athletes times are constantly updated so refencing specific cells is not feasible. I currently sort the database by name, distance, best time for that distance so I can see an athletes history but need a method to extract the best times for each discipl...

Delete blank Last page

Data amalgamation
I have a table of data, including columns for date, a code indicatin data source, and various analysis under headings. As follows: Date Source A B C 1/1/01 X 2 4 8 15/3/01 X 3 5 7 16/6/02 Y 12 1 9 I want a summary table that is driven by a (variable) date range amalgamating data by source and A,B,C. As follows: X Y Z Pre 30/6/01 - A 5 0 0 - B 9 0 0 - C 15 0 0 Post 30/6/01 - A ...

Deleting an email