Delete unwanted row after merging duplicating cells

I merge cell in col b and now I want to delete duplicate records.

What is the formula if i want to delete unwanted rows e.g

Available file

COL A  COLB
1          John Kim, Capcano Rd , 92821
1          Capcano Rd
1          92821
2         Peter, Mike
3         Mason Ko, 898934, california, Excellent, Yes
3         898934
3        california
3        Excellent
3        Yes
4         Tomorow
5         Welcome, Michael
5         Micael
6         Jonny, Based
6         based

Want to make it like this

COL A  COLB
1          John Kim, Capcano Rd , 92821
2         Peter, Mike
3         Mason Ko, 898934, california, Excellent, Yes
4         Tomorow
5         Welcome, Michael
6         Jonny, Based

Help will be highly appreciated

0
tarone (2)
12/7/2006 5:30:52 AM
excel 39879 articles. 2 followers. Follow

Assuming source data in cols A and B from row1 down

Put in C1:
=IF(A1="","",IF(COUNTIF($A$1:A1,A1)>1,"",ROW()))

Put in D1:
=IF(ROW()>COUNT($C:$C),"",INDEX(A:A,SMALL($C:$C,ROW())))
Copy D1 to E1

Then select C1:E1, copy down to the last row of data in cols A and B.
Cols D and E will return the required results, all neatly bunched at the
top.
--
Max
Singapore
<tarone@gmail.com> wrote in message
>I merge cell in col b and now I want to delete duplicate records.
>

> What is the formula if i want to delete unwanted rows e.g
>
> Available file
>
> COL A  COLB
> 1          John Kim, Capcano Rd , 92821
> 1          Capcano Rd
> 1          92821
> 2         Peter, Mike
> 3         Mason Ko, 898934, california, Excellent, Yes
> 3         898934
> 3        california
> 3        Excellent
> 3        Yes
> 4         Tomorow
> 5         Welcome, Michael
> 5         Micael
> 6         Jonny, Based
> 6         based
>
> Want to make it like this
>
> COL A  COLB
> 1          John Kim, Capcano Rd , 92821
> 2         Peter, Mike
> 3         Mason Ko, 898934, california, Excellent, Yes
> 4         Tomorow
> 5         Welcome, Michael
> 6         Jonny, Based
>
> Help will be highly appreciated

0
demechanik (4694)
12/7/2006 1:33:14 PM
Email received from OP
-------
Date: Fri, 8 Dec 2006 17:22:37 -0800
From: "tarone" ..
To: "Max" <demechanik@yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: Delete unwanted row after merging duplicating cells
thanks for your help.
it saved lot of time
--
Max
Singapore
http://savefile.com/projects/236895
xdemechanik
---

0
demechanik (4694)

Pivot Table row comparison
I'm trying to compare an old customer schedule with their new schedule and highlight the changes with colour or by hiding a row. My pivot table looks like this Prod Sched wk1 wk2 wk3 A old 3 2 3 A new 3 4 3 B old 2 2 2 B new 2 2 2 So in the above example I'd like to colour the cells for wk2- Product A in yellow, and hide the product B rows as there has been no change in demand. Can someone give me some advice about how to do this Thanks for your help Ross How about an alternative??? Your raw data looks kind of like this: Prod Sched wk# qty...

How to Recover Deleted Sent Mail?

Using Popups to select a range of cells.
Hi All I have a small request for help with code. I need a macro to have popups request the first and last cells in a range , and then to select them. Can someone help? Sub test() Dim Rng As Range On Error Resume Next Set Rng = Application.InputBox("Select your range", _ "Mousework", Type:=8) On Error GoTo 0 If Rng Is Nothing Then Exit Sub MsgBox Rng.Address End Sub HTH. Best wishes Harald "Colin Hayes" <Colin@chayes.demon.co.uk> wrote in message news:8mYkILA1YlvLFw7Z@chayes.demon.co.uk... > > Hi All > >...

Cannot delete subreport

Rule for Deleted Items

keying in data in cell
I have a form that has several lines. I want to know without looking at the form when the data will not show on the line. I do not want to wrap the text, but to go to the next row to continue to put in the data. Is there an easy way to do this. Any help will be appreciated. thank you mac ...

I need to show the last number in a rows in the total pending row
I have a column where I list pending cases each month and I need to show the last number in the total pending cell at the bottom of the row. I can use an offset fomula which works if the pending cases begin in row 1. However, I am not able to get it to work if the pending cases begin in rows 4 or 5 as an example. Any suggestion? Rows don't have a bottom.............guess you meant Column. Last number in column A =LOOKUP(99^99,A:A) Last anything in column A =LOOKUP(2,1/(A1:A65535<>""),A1:A65535) Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP On Wed, 28 Jan 2009 16:30:08 -0800, Jen S ...

number of rows #2
I used autoformat so that my rows would alternate colors. But, it added a bunch of empty rows so that the sheet is maxed out and my file is huge. I don't need all those empty rows and I can't find a way to delete them. Any suggestions for how to get rid of the rows, or limit the number of rows on a worksheet? I know I could copy all the data to a new worksheet, but I'd like a better solution. Try this: click on the number of the first empty row, so the whole row is selected. Using the vertical scrollbar, go to the last row on the sheet. Hold down the shift key while you cli...

Adding a comment to a cell.
I have tried adding a comment to a cell, but it does not appear with th little red triangle in the top right corner of the cell commented. The comment is attached, but at first glance there is no such clue tha there is a comment attached. I know the comment is attached because when i click onto the cell commented and right click, it allows me to either edit or delete th comment.. I need the little red triangle to appear when commenting a cell (whe clicked away from the live cell, it seems to dissapear) - view scree shot Attachment filename: comments.jpg Down...

Delete macros

merge cells
how can i merge the info on a large spread sheet quickly without having to do this one cell at a time. I have info in cells A1 thru HH1,A3-HH3,A5-HH5 and so on I need this info to be merged with the cell directly below it In other words I need cell A1 to be merged with A2,B1 with B2....A3 with A4,A5 with A6 ....HH5 with HH6 with our losing the info in the cells, whats the simpliest and fastest way to do this with out having to click on cell, hold shift key, down arrow, merge cell button, right arrow, hold shift key,down arrow key, merge button or format painter on completed a merged...

forcing user input into cells
howdy all... i'm new to doing stuff with excel have a bit of a background in javascript programming what i'm trying to do is force a user to enter something, anything int a specific cell if the user tries to tab past the cell and leave it blank, i want a error to come up, telling them that they have to enter something befor they can continue on with entry into other cells any help would be much appreciated -Thank -- georgi ----------------------------------------------------------------------- georgio's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=164...

Locate a specific row or column
Hi all, Could you tell me how to locate a specific row instead of using Mouse to dray the scroll bar? Clara thank you so much for your help In VBA code, you can use: Range("D100").Activate ' Or Range("D1:D100").Select ' Depending on if you want only one cell highlighted or a range of cells. -- Best wishes, Jim "clara" wrote: > Hi all, > > Could you tell me how to locate a specific row instead of using Mouse to > dray the scroll bar? > > Clara > > thank you so much for your help Hi Clara Have you tried goto in the Ed...

OK to delete Deleted Items folder?

How to delete chart

Delete blank Last page

Having trouble with extra rows at the bottom of the doc
How do I delete the extra rows at the bottom of a doc. I have inherited a document that has 60 rows of data and 3682 rows of empty cells that have the boarder set. When I select and delete them, new ones reappear. I have turned the cell boards off and it still creates empty cells with the boarder. Is there any way to delete these rows? -ken Ken, Are you selecting and then deleting and then saving? HTH, Andy Ken Excel has a habit of retaining "used" cells way beyond where you are currently working. On a worksheet hit CRTL + END to see where you wind up. If far below and...

Deleting an email

Use a cell value as part of a formula
Hi All, I'm trying to use a cell value as part of a vlookup function. The idea is to keep changing the lookup query based on a the contents of a specific cell This is the forumla I'm currently using VLOOKUP($A2,'C:\Matrix0203\07-Feb03\[025-MainPub-ET-1801.XLS]Sheet1'!$A$1:$M$200,2,FALSE) I need a way to replace "025-MainPub-ET-1801.XLS" in the formula based on another cell, where this will be generated (or manually entered). Right now I'm doing a select all, find and replace to achieve this. Any help will be appreciated... Chirag Hi Chirag, You could use ...

excel/word mail merge problem
Hi. I am using excel as a data source for a word mail merge document. The spreadsheet looks fine, but when I merge it, sometimes the number of decimal places in my word document is bizarre. For example, if a value in excel shows as 17.97, in the resulting word document it might appear as 17.9699999999. Does anyone know what might be causing this? I'm using and excel 2002 and word 2002. Thanks in advance for any help. There's an article on the Microsoft web site that might help you: Answer Box: Numbers don't merge right in Word http://office.microsoft.com/en-ca/ass...