Default Column width for .csv files

Is there a way to set the default column width and/or font size when opening
..csv files in Excel?  I have a couple of columns that are not quite wide
enough when opening a .csv file and I don't want to have to manually widen
column.

Can this also be done in the ActiveX "Microsoft Office Spreadsheet" used in
OWC?

--
Here to help and not to hinder.
excel 39880 articles. 2 followers. Follow

Any Ideas here?
--
Do you think what you see or see what you think?

"NetNathan" wrote:

> Is there a way to set the default column width and/or font size when opening
> .csv files in Excel?  I have a couple of columns that are not quite wide
> enough when opening a .csv file and I don't want to have to manually widen
> column.
>
> Can this also be done in the ActiveX "Microsoft Office Spreadsheet" used in
> OWC?
>
> --
> Here to help and not to hinder.
Macro.

NetNathan wrote:

> Any Ideas here?

0
birelan (531)

Data Validation Lookup List from Another File
Hi, Without duplicating the cell contents in the current spreadsheet (call it Template), is there anyway to have a dropdown list of items (starting in cell T38 and going down to T45) from another file ([Price_List.xls]License_Only!C2 to C whatever row which will change). Then, when the item is selected from the list in T38, lookup the cell to the left in row D of Price_List.xls and put it in S38. The reason I don't want to duplicate the cell contents in the current spreadsheet is because the file will be way too large to deal with. I hope that explains it well enough Thanks for any he...

Hello How to add an additional email domain and make it default for Exchange 2007? Thanks! Look up: New-RecipientDomain Get-EMailAddressPolicy New-EMailAddressPolicy Set-EMailAddressPolicy -- Ed Crowley MVP "There are seldom good technological solutions to behavioral problems." .. "Ronald" <2omikk@gmail.com> wrote in message news:uOf%23x$$nKHA.5520@TK2MSFTNGP05.phx.gbl... > Hello > > How to add an additional email domain and make it default for Exchange > 2007? > > Thanks! > We have a dedicated group for SBS...

open a prior publisher file
I need immediate help on how to open a prior version of publisher in the publisher 6.0. Do you have a current version of Publisher? Can your sender convert the file to another format? A PDF? If you don't have Publisher I will convert it to a PDF if you send it my way. mary-sauer at columbus dot rr dot com -- Mary Sauer MSFT MVP http://office.microsoft.com/ http://msauer.mvps.org/ news://msnews.microsoft.com "mbrooks" <mbrooks@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:D3CEA1A7-F301-43B8-9424-27BC774E9C22@microsoft.com... >I need immediate help on how to open...

PowerPoint 2007 not playing sound files
Hi please can you help. When I link sound files to PowerPoint 2007 it shows them as being there but they do not play unless I embed them. I have tried everything, the only way I can get it to work is to package as CD and start from there, this seems to defeat the object. Please can anyone help before I pull all my hair out. Regards Steve Try putting the files into the same folder as you presentation and reinserting them to see if that makes a difference. I'm assuming .WAV files as they are the only sound files that are embedded. -- Michael Koerner MS MVP - Power...

workplace default pane default tab
Hi, Strange as it may seem, some users cannot find "Default tab" and "Default pane" to customize in the General tab of the Workplace (either in Client or Web Access). Even those who already used it, do no find it anymore. How can this be achieved (customization / programming)? Thanks a lot. ...

O/T XMI Files
This post is not a C++ or MFC question, but I know most of the readers of this group will be able to help us out here. We are updating an interpreter DLL in our application and are looking for some sample files. Our Project Estimation tool imports XMI (UML) data from CASE tools such as Enterprise Architect, Rational Rose/XDE, Select etc. However we do not have licenses for all of the (many, many) CASE tools - we only use and have licenses for Enterprise Architect. Our product is complementary to CASE tools and does not compete with the CASE tools. We are approaching many tool vendors&#...

How do I name the column headings ie. Address
I would like to create a database of names and addresses. I'm unable to find out how to label the column headings ie. Name, Address, Town etc. You can't directly, but you could put headings in Row 1 and turn off Excel's column Headings, Tools>Options>View, Row and Column headers. -- HTH Bob (there's no email, no snail mail, but somewhere should be gmail in my addy) "Lyric35" <Lyric35@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:443AD86B-E599-4FFF-B733-A432EDC44959@microsoft.com... >I would like to create a database of names and addresses. I...

Form defaults
Hi, I have a button on a form that disables and rearranges controls. I think I went into design view it it pressed and that control arrangement became the default. I cannot change it back though. I tried clicking the button twice and everything goes back to how it should be in form view. Then when I go to design mode everything goes to the wrong defaults. I hope that makes sense. Thanks for your help. ...

Ordering columns.
Dear all, I have the following problem: I have a column of data several thousands cells long with values (let's call that D1), indexed by another column (let's call that I1). I want to perform a division operation of the values in that column by the values in another column of values (call that D2), which is indexed in the same way by another column (let's call that I2). But I want to do this operation only for equivalent index codes (le's say, divide the vale indexed as I1=0001 in D1 by the value indexed as I2=0001 in D2). Nevertheless, the index is not necessarily co...

How can I find the common names in two columns of names?
I have two columns of names. I want to find if there are any common names in these two columns, and if there are I want to figure out which ones are common. The only solution I could think of so far is using the find function in Excel by entering each name individually from the second column and searching them in the first column. It works, but considering the fact that I have more than 250 names in the second column and 990 names in the first one, I just wanted to know if there is a simpler way. I also have the SSN of these individuals as separate columns, in case I might need nume...

Default Catagory
Is ther a way in Outlook 2002 and 2003 to set a default catagory to all new Calendar items when they are created i.e. "Work" and then add any others you require? Also can you add a catogory to all the existing items in the calendar again "Work" in one go without destorying any existing catogories? Thanks Shane ...

Column format when merging Excel data to Word labels
I have a four column Excel spreadsheet which I have Mail Merged into Word to create labels. One of the columns in Excel contains a list of four digit numbers. Some of those numbers begin with a zero. When I have merged the data into Word labels, the four digit numbers starting with a zero have the zero missing. I have tried all sorts of number formats in Excel but can't get the zeros to stay there when merged to Word. Can anyone help???? I'm using Office 2003. There's an article on the Microsoft web site that might help you: Answer Box: Numbers don't merge right in Wo...

Sumproduct a column where 2 adj text columns contain same value
Hi, I'm using a sumproduct formula to ascertain the number of times that a value between 0 and 1 occurs in column A (range A3:A26), where the adjacent cell in column B (B3:B26) contains either "Smith", "Draper" or "Jones": =SUMPRODUCT((A3:A26>0.00)*(A3:A26<1.01)*(B3:B26={"Smith","Draper","Jones"})) This formula works fine and details the number of entries where the value in column A is between 0 and 1, and the name in the adjacent column B cell is Smith Draper or Jones. What I need to do is the same SUMPRODUCT of 0-1...

Change default outlook calendar
I just went from outlook 2002 to outlook 2003 pro. I now have a default calendar that I would like to delete because of all of its errors (duplicates, etc.) and replace it with a clean copy of an alternative calendar. How? David <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: > I just went from outlook 2002 to outlook 2003 pro. > > I now have a default calendar that I would like to delete > because of all of its errors (duplicates, etc.) and > replace it with a clean copy of an alternative calendar. > How? Create a new PST and set it to be your default delivery locat...

Column format
I'm trying to create a letterhead that prints the Advisory Board members on the left side (1.5" column) and keeps the second column free for text, but every time I create two columns, it goes into newsletter format and spreads the names of the Advisory Board over both columns. Is there some way to keep that text in the first column? See the "More complex letterhead" example at http://sbarnhill.mvps.org/WordFAQs/Letterhead.htm and http://sbarnhill.mvps.org/WordFAQs/AnchorToHeader.htm. -- Suzanne S. Barnhill Microsoft MVP (Word) Words into Type Fairhope,...

Retrieve File Names in Directories
Can anyone tell me how or if it is possible to start at a particular directory and drill down to all subdirectories and get the names of files and the associated paths of each? I was thinking you can do this with the File System Object within Excel VBA?? If anyone could point me to good web site that covers this, it would be appreciated. I basically want to start at one directory and follow all paths until no more directories. So drill both down and accross. Hopefully I am explaining correctly. Hi SharonM, What do you want to do with them after you get them? Dan At a...

auto-saving emails as files on the network
Does outlook have the capability to save incoming/outgoing emails to a standard file structure on a server. eg. I have a directory for clients and the next level down is client a, client b etc. If I receive a mail from client a, when I open it, I would like it to auto save to d:\client\clienta\correspondence. Any ideas? ...

Shared
My spreadsheet is shared for multi-user. The user will open the fil through intranet webpage. After editing, and try to save the file, a message pop up said" Thi file is locked, try the command again later". Does anyone know why this is happening? Thanks -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com ...

Change default font and size for comments?
Does anyone know how to do the above? Many thanks Anita Hi Anita! Right-click on the desktop > Properties Appearance tab > Item dropdown, select Tooltip Choose a font Size, click OK You'll see that you can change the font and colour as well. -- Regards Norman Harker MVP (Excel) Sydney, Australia njharker@optusnet.com.au To change the default font size (this will also change the settings for tooltips in Excel and other programs): Right-click on the desktop, and choose Properties On the Appearance tab, click Advanced. From the Item dropdown, choose Tooltip Choose a font ...

how do you total columns that are not adjacent
how do you total columns that are not adjacent but in the same row? I saw this previous post but cannot figure it out: "I want to add up, the first is at G4, the next is N4, then U4 etc etc... until the last cell is BCZ4. So, every interval space of 6 cells. The values are all in the same row. reply: Try this =SUMPRODUCT((MOD((COLUMN(G4:BCZ4)-COLUMN($F$4)),7)=1)*(G4:BCZ4))" I would like to: begin with the amount in D7 subtract amount in E7 add amount in H7 provide answer in I7 is this possible? if so, how...

Conversion of .wks files to Excel
Is there a way to convert spreadsheets created using Microsoft Works for use in Microsoft Excel 2002. The .wks files are on a CD and were created on a Windows ME system which is no longer usable, so I do not know what version of WORKS was used. I am running Microsoft Excel 2002 on a Windows XP system. Hi a repost from Ken Wright to convert MS Works files: ----- Generally you would normally open the file in WORKS and then save it down as a file that Excel can read. .xlr is a native Excel format, or .txt, ..csv, dbaseIV are all formats it can read. You can also find a converter here ...

I can not open my exsisting files in publisher
Just recently publisher stops responding when I try to open an existing file. Perhaps the following will explain & resolve your issue: Problems in Windows Explorer or the Windows shell after you install security update MS06-015 http://support.microsoft.com/kb/918165 Easy Fix: Visit http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_tweaks.htm and scroll down to Item No. 383 "Hewlett-Packard's Share-to-Web software - Fix (MS06-015)" to download a registry fix. Note: You may need to temporarily disable your antivirus program in order to safely run the scripted fix. Also, review the fo...

Column styles doesn't appear on the worksheet
Hello, one of my customers has changed the windows xp designs to its own. From this moment excel doesn't show the font color and the background color of a cell in the worksheet. Only in the print preview you can see the color settings of the cells. I'm not shure if this problem belongs to the changing of the windows xp designs, but from this moment it did occur. This occurs on new excel-documents and on existing ones. With another user account on the same machine the problem doesn't occur. I have reinstalled Office 2003 and even deleted user registry entries for Office...

Footer defaults
I use a consistent protocol for footers on my reports but would like those footers to exist in every file I create. Is there some way to make them the default? -- Joe S. Hi create a new workbook with this footer and save this as a template (*.xlt file) -- Regards Frank Kabel Frankfurt, Germany "Joe S." <JoeS@discussions.microsoft.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag news:4D12465C-3586-4F79-A000-19AB582C456C@microsoft.com... > I use a consistent protocol for footers on my reports but would like those > footers to exist in every file I create. Is there some way to make them th...

Check if Excel file is already open
I need to check if an Excel file is already open. How do i do this? thank u Hi Look at this: Sub Test() If Not IsWbOpen("Book1.xls") then Workbooks.Open("Book1.xls") End If End Sub Function IsWbOpen(WbName As String) As Boolean For Each wb In Application.Workbooks If wb.Name = WbName Then IsWbOpen = True Exit For End If Next End Function Regards, Per "Robert Crandal" <nobody@gmail.com> skrev i meddelelsen news:SpEZm.119911$gg6.52009@newsfe25.iad... >I need to check if an Excel file is alr...