default cell format

Is there a way to set a "global" cell format such that when I enter a
date, it's automatically set to the format I like to have, without
having to re-format every cell?

0
talismana (59)
12/26/2007 4:00:38 PM
excel 39880 articles. 2 followers. Follow

I'm not familiar with the newest versions of Excel, but I expect the
process is similar to EXCEL97 with which I'm familiar.

Construct a spread sheet with the desired format and save it in the
Template directory as  "CustomDate.xlt"  On my machine, Microsoft's
installation program placed those templates in the directory:
"C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Templates"

Subsequently, when you request that Excel open a new workbook, a dialog
window will pop up that will allow you to select the standard format or
your CustomDate format.

namsilat wrote:
> Is there a way to set a "global" cell format such that when I enter a
> date, it's automatically set to the format I like to have, without
> having to re-format every cell?

0
ps144nyc (65)

workplace default pane default tab
Hi, Strange as it may seem, some users cannot find "Default tab" and "Default pane" to customize in the General tab of the Workplace (either in Client or Web Access). Even those who already used it, do no find it anymore. How can this be achieved (customization / programming)? Thanks a lot. ...

'ignore' cells in calculating?
I'm new to Excel. I have a simple column of numbers I'm summing. Is there a way I can flag selected cells in this column for Excel to ignore in its calculation? I'd occasionally like to sum ~all~ the cells in the column, but at other times to sum only those I've not flagged as 'ignore'. Thanks. You could set up a column beside your current column which would contain TRUE or FALSE (either manually entered, or using a formula). Then use the SUMIF function. For example if you had this situation, and used =SUMIF (B1:B7,TRUE,A1:A7) the result would be 57. A ...

Hello How to add an additional email domain and make it default for Exchange 2007? Thanks! Look up: New-RecipientDomain Get-EMailAddressPolicy New-EMailAddressPolicy Set-EMailAddressPolicy -- Ed Crowley MVP "There are seldom good technological solutions to behavioral problems." .. "Ronald" <2omikk@gmail.com> wrote in message news:uOf%23x$$nKHA.5520@TK2MSFTNGP05.phx.gbl... > Hello > > How to add an additional email domain and make it default for Exchange > 2007? > > Thanks! > We have a dedicated group for SBS...

Changing a cell color....
Hi, Can someone help me how can I change a cell color using the"IF" command??? Thank you, Shaul On Mon, 27 Oct 2003 22:27:56 +0200, Shaul <bagaz@netvision.net.il> wrote= : > Hi, > Can someone help me how can I change a cell color using the"IF" = > command??? Under the Format menu, pick Conditional Formatting. -- = Dave dvt at psu dot edu ...

Conditional Formatting problem
I want to know if I can conditionally format cells in a column of data which end with a full stop - i.e if this is a column of data I want to be able to highlight... blue. - highlight Yellow red. - highlight black brown green. - highlight Any ideas????? select the cells, and then use CF with Formula Is and a formula of =RIGHT(A1,1)="." format as required. This assumes the data is column A, starting in A1 -- HTH RP (remove nothere from the email address if mailing direct) "Cumbo" <Cumbo@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:90E332D7-CFA0...

VBA code to hightlight range of cells based on the value of another adjacent cell
All, I'd like to know if it is possible to make a VBA code for exel that highlights a range of cells based on the value of a particular cell. Sample data: ALPHA Street Low High City Zip SEQ A Ahasta 1 98 SOUTH SAN FRANCISCO 94080 200 A Aherwood 2401 2499 SOUTH SAN FRANCISCO 94080 190 B Blyline Dr 2601 2899 SOUTH SAN FRANCISCO 94080 475 B Bouthcliff 100 215 SOUTH SAN FRANCISCO 94080 140 C Couthcliff 217 398 SOUTH SAN FRANCISCO 94080 150 C Ctamford 2600 2698 SOUTH SAN FRANCISCO 94080 170 C Cetein 3900 3998 SOUTH SAN FRANCISCO 94080 160 D Dummit 1 98 SOUTH SAN FRANCISCO 94080 190 D D...

Need a macro to insert text in a cell that already has text.Excel
I want a macro that will allow me insert text in a cell where I have placed my curser. Sounds easy. Hope it is. Help! Sharon Sub PlaceText() ActiveCell.Value = "ABCD" End Sub if you mean you are editing a text string in a cell and you want to insert text within the text string, then there is no direct support for that. For any practical application, macros do not run when you are in edit mode. Try copying the text string to add by selecting just the text and doing Ctrl+c now where your cursor is in the cell where you want it added, do Ctrl+v -- Regards, Tom Ogilvy "go...

Form defaults
Hi, I have a button on a form that disables and rearranges controls. I think I went into design view it it pressed and that control arrangement became the default. I cannot change it back though. I tried clicking the button twice and everything goes back to how it should be in form view. Then when I go to design mode everything goes to the wrong defaults. I hope that makes sense. Thanks for your help. ...

Column format when merging Excel data to Word labels
I have a four column Excel spreadsheet which I have Mail Merged into Word to create labels. One of the columns in Excel contains a list of four digit numbers. Some of those numbers begin with a zero. When I have merged the data into Word labels, the four digit numbers starting with a zero have the zero missing. I have tried all sorts of number formats in Excel but can't get the zeros to stay there when merged to Word. Can anyone help???? I'm using Office 2003. There's an article on the Microsoft web site that might help you: Answer Box: Numbers don't merge right in Wo...

Default Catagory
Is ther a way in Outlook 2002 and 2003 to set a default catagory to all new Calendar items when they are created i.e. "Work" and then add any others you require? Also can you add a catogory to all the existing items in the calendar again "Work" in one go without destorying any existing catogories? Thanks Shane ...

Format Painter APPENDS Conditional Formatting
Hi, I've this annoying problem in Excel 2007 that doesn't exist in 2003. When I use Format Painter, it is appending conditional formatting rules to the cell rather than over-writing them. How do I stop this behavior? -- Thanks, Bob I can confirm that in XL 2007 the Format Painter does append conditional formats Not sure how you can override this but will report it to MS -- Bernard V Liengme Microsoft Excel MVP www.stfx.ca/people/bliengme remove caps from email "Bob" <86c6c2e6-2146512712@news.postalias> wrote in message news:B97B5489-7309-4914-876E-3644ABF03...

Losing cell content when copying and pasting
When I copy multiple cells, and then do a paste, the contents of some cells not involved with the copy and paste action are lost. Any ideas? What do you mean by 'not involved'? If you select, say, 12 cells (3 rows and 4 cols) and paste it on D1 then cells in the range D1:G3 will be overwritten with the source cells... Also if formulae are involved then you may see unintended (by you) impact... "tomprochaska" wrote: > When I copy multiple cells, and then do a paste, the contents of some cells > not involved with the copy and paste action are lost. Any ideas? IF ...

Change default outlook calendar
I just went from outlook 2002 to outlook 2003 pro. I now have a default calendar that I would like to delete because of all of its errors (duplicates, etc.) and replace it with a clean copy of an alternative calendar. How? David <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: > I just went from outlook 2002 to outlook 2003 pro. > > I now have a default calendar that I would like to delete > because of all of its errors (duplicates, etc.) and > replace it with a clean copy of an alternative calendar. > How? Create a new PST and set it to be your default delivery locat...

Change default font and size for comments?
Does anyone know how to do the above? Many thanks Anita Hi Anita! Right-click on the desktop > Properties Appearance tab > Item dropdown, select Tooltip Choose a font Size, click OK You'll see that you can change the font and colour as well. -- Regards Norman Harker MVP (Excel) Sydney, Australia njharker@optusnet.com.au To change the default font size (this will also change the settings for tooltips in Excel and other programs): Right-click on the desktop, and choose Properties On the Appearance tab, click Advanced. From the Item dropdown, choose Tooltip Choose a font ...

End Cells
I am trying to reduce the file size of a file I am creating. It is currently at 3.6MB, with about 10 worksheets. I posted earlier and someone recommended hitting Ctrl-End on my sheets to see where it was that Excel thought the end of the data was. I did this with a few of the workbooks and the end appears to be out in the middle of nowhere. They then recommended that I delete all the columns and rows past my actual data and then save the file. I tried this but when I hit Ctrl-End on those sheets it still takes me way past my data ranges. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks i...

Tabbing to specified cells
I would like to set up a worksheet so that when I open it I can tab to specific cells. Is there anyway of doing this? Thanks See earlier post. -- HTH Bob Phillips ... looking out across Poole Harbour to the Purbecks (remove nothere from the email address if mailing direct) "sho" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:64c901c47554$39e94cb0$a301280a@phx.gbl... > I would like to set up a worksheet so that when I open it > I can tab to specific cells. Is there anyway of doing this? > > Thanks sho To TAB to desired cells....... 1. U...

Reducing The Account Format
Is there a tool that allows you to reduce the number of segments you have allocated to you COA in a company and consolidate the accounts? I have a client that has 5 segments and wants to reduce it down to 3. They have posted transactions. Will PST or the product from Corporate Renaissance do this? I know they can increase it... How would you reduce it? Would you be removing separators or remoing two segments? For example: AA-BB-CC-DD-EE to AABB-CCDD-EE or AA-BB-CC- DD-EE to AA-BB-CC? >-----Original Message----- >Is there a tool that allows you to reduce the number of segment...

Footer defaults
I use a consistent protocol for footers on my reports but would like those footers to exist in every file I create. Is there some way to make them the default? -- Joe S. Hi create a new workbook with this footer and save this as a template (*.xlt file) -- Regards Frank Kabel Frankfurt, Germany "Joe S." <JoeS@discussions.microsoft.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag news:4D12465C-3586-4F79-A000-19AB582C456C@microsoft.com... > I use a consistent protocol for footers on my reports but would like those > footers to exist in every file I create. Is there some way to make them th...

reference sheet tab name in a cell
I want to add the name of the tab in a cell on my worksheet Take a look at http://www.mcgimpsey.com/excel/formulae/cell_function.html In article <7633BADA-2219-4710-9ADC-189E46BEAA33@microsoft.com>, "wendyvan" <wendyvan@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: > I want to add the name of the tab in a cell on my worksheet ...

Default organization not default
Hey, I changed my default organization of CRM. However when opening the default server URL. Still the old default organization is opened. Resetting IIS, clearing the Internet Explorer cache en even rebooting the server does not help. Does someone have more ideas?? Thx. Mirella try to disable the other organization and keep the only one . access it with default and post us if you get the error. ------ Aamir http://danishmscrm.blogspot.com/ I disabled all the organizations except the one I that needs to be de default. Opening CRM with the default URL the following error is displa...

Copying Conditional formatting 01-25-10
I am trying to copy conditional formatting for specific cells from one row and past them to another. I cannot use the format painter because I need to retain the existing visible format. How can I copy and paste just the conditional rules? Which version of EXCEL? "gibbylynn" wrote: > I am trying to copy conditional formatting for specific cells from one row > and past them to another. I cannot use the format painter because I need to > retain the existing visible format. How can I copy and paste just the > conditional rules? IN EXCEL 2007 if you ...

email default
I set up my outlook as my email default (the same as in outlook 2000). The difference in 2007 is that whenever I sign on to outlook, it totally empties my aol mail box. With 2000, I got my mail but it also stayed in aol. How can I change this? Change the Advanced tab on your Account Properties to leave the messages on the server. -- Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook] Post all replies to the group to keep the discussion intact. All unsolicited mail sent to my personal account will be deleted without reading. "Fran" <Fran@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:...

Linking cells
I'm trying to set up a worksheet where I can type something into one cell, and the information automatically shows up in another cell that I designate. I tried using functions, but I get different results. Basically, I want the designated cell to be blank until something is entered in the source cell. I was able link the cells by using "=" and "+" and setting the cell format to "General". However, I get a "0" in the designated cell when nothing is entered in the source cell. Is there a better way? Thanks in advance! -- careyc --------------...

default mail programme
Email Client: pop how do i make entourage my default email programme. See my answer in your other thread. On 30/04/2010 14:01, Digs@officeformac.com wrote: > Email Client: pop how do i make entourage my default email programme. -- Michel Bintener Microsoft MVP (Macintosh) *** Please always reply to the newsgroup. *** ...

Setting the default contact list for Outlook 2007
When I create an email message, and click on "To" to search my contact list, by default it always goes to the Global Address List. Is there a way to make my Contact List the default? "brenda" <brenda@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:FED962FD-27E7-42BA-B0CE-FEA9256DDEC4@microsoft.com... > When I create an email message, and click on "To" to search my contact > list, > by default it always goes to the Global Address List. Is there a way to > make my Contact List the default? When that Address Book window opens, click Tool...