Decimal to Minutes

Is there a format or formula to convert a decimal to time?  An example would
be .5 would be 30 (minutes), .75 would be 45 (minutes), etc.  The Workbook
is relatively large so any method would have to easily apply to thousands of
numbers, versus simply manually converting one cell at a time.

Regards,

Gary

0
allge (63)
8/16/2007 1:01:43 AM
excel 39879 articles. 2 followers. Follow

It's easier than you think Gary, since 1 is one day in Excel which is 24
hours, so one hour is 1/24

just divide by 24

=A1/24

where A1 holds 0.5

then the important thing is to format the cell with the formula as either
hh:mm:ss or [hh}mm:ss  (the latter allows for displaying more than 24 hours)

Same goes for the other way around if you have Excel time format and wants
to calculate  an amount using an hourly rate

=A1*24*hourly_rate

here it is equally important to format result as currency or number

--

Regards,

Peo Sjoblom

"Gary" <allge@cox.net> wrote in message
> Is there a format or formula to convert a decimal to time?  An example
> would be .5 would be 30 (minutes), .75 would be 45 (minutes), etc.  The
> Workbook is relatively large so any method would have to easily apply to
> thousands of numbers, versus simply manually converting one cell at a
> time.
>

> Regards,
>
> Gary

0
terre081 (3244)
8/16/2007 2:05:07 AM
Assuming your decimal time is in column A and begins with A1,
custom format column B as [h]:mm
and then in B1 enter  =A1/24

..5 should then show as 0:30,  1.75 as 1:45, and so on.

If you want your  time to show as 0h 30m and 1h 45m instead,
then custom format  column B as [h]"h"" "mm"m"

--
Alan

"Gary" <allge@cox.net> wrote in message
> Is there a format or formula to convert a decimal to time?  An example
> would be .5 would be 30 (minutes), .75 would be 45 (minutes), etc.  The
> Workbook is relatively large so any method would have to easily apply to
> thousands of numbers, versus simply manually converting one cell at a
> time.
>

> Regards,
>
> Gary

I think that  [hh}mm:ss in your reply below must be a typo.
Perhaps you meant to write [hh]:mm:ss  ??
--
Alan

"Peo Sjoblom" <terre08@mvps.org> wrote in message
> It's easier than you think Gary, since 1 is one day in Excel which is 24
> hours, so one hour is 1/24
>
> just divide by 24
>
> =A1/24
>
> where A1 holds 0.5
>
> then the important thing is to format the cell with the formula as either
> hh:mm:ss or [hh}mm:ss  (the latter allows for displaying more than 24
> hours)
>
> Same goes for the other way around if you have Excel time format and wants
> to calculate  an amount using an hourly rate
>
> =A1*24*hourly_rate
>
> here it is equally important to format result as currency or number
>

> --
>
> Regards,
>
> Peo Sjoblom
>

> "Gary" <allge@cox.net> wrote in message
>> Is there a format or formula to convert a decimal to time?  An example
>> would be .5 would be 30 (minutes), .75 would be 45 (minutes), etc.  The
>> Workbook is relatively large so any method would have to easily apply to
>> thousands of numbers, versus simply manually converting one cell at a
>> time.
>>

>> Regards,
>>
>> Gary

Works great,
Thanks Peo...

"Peo Sjoblom" <terre08@mvps.org> wrote in message
> It's easier than you think Gary, since 1 is one day in Excel which is 24
> hours, so one hour is 1/24
>
> just divide by 24
>
> =A1/24
>
> where A1 holds 0.5
>
> then the important thing is to format the cell with the formula as either
> hh:mm:ss or [hh}mm:ss  (the latter allows for displaying more than 24
> hours)
>
> Same goes for the other way around if you have Excel time format and wants
> to calculate  an amount using an hourly rate
>
> =A1*24*hourly_rate
>
> here it is equally important to format result as currency or number
>

> --
>
> Regards,
>
> Peo Sjoblom
>

> "Gary" <allge@cox.net> wrote in message
>> Is there a format or formula to convert a decimal to time?  An example
>> would be .5 would be 30 (minutes), .75 would be 45 (minutes), etc.  The
>> Workbook is relatively large so any method would have to easily apply to
>> thousands of numbers, versus simply manually converting one cell at a
>> time.
>>

>> Regards,
>>
>> Gary

0
allge (63)
8/16/2007 3:25:30 AM
Obviously

Peo

"*alan*" <in_flagrante@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>I think that  [hh}mm:ss in your reply below must be a typo.
> Perhaps you meant to write [hh]:mm:ss  ??
> --
> Alan
>

> "Peo Sjoblom" <terre08@mvps.org> wrote in message
>> It's easier than you think Gary, since 1 is one day in Excel which is 24
>> hours, so one hour is 1/24
>>
>> just divide by 24
>>
>> =A1/24
>>
>> where A1 holds 0.5
>>
>> then the important thing is to format the cell with the formula as either
>> hh:mm:ss or [hh}mm:ss  (the latter allows for displaying more than 24
>> hours)
>>
>> Same goes for the other way around if you have Excel time format and
>> wants to calculate  an amount using an hourly rate
>>
>> =A1*24*hourly_rate
>>
>> here it is equally important to format result as currency or number
>>

>> --
>>
>> Regards,
>>
>> Peo Sjoblom
>>

>> "Gary" <allge@cox.net> wrote in message
>>> Is there a format or formula to convert a decimal to time?  An example
>>> would be .5 would be 30 (minutes), .75 would be 45 (minutes), etc.  The
>>> Workbook is relatively large so any method would have to easily apply to
>>> thousands of numbers, versus simply manually converting one cell at a
>>> time.
>>>

>>> Regards,
>>>
>>> Gary

0
terre081 (3244)
8/16/2007 3:26:48 PM
It depends on what format you want the results. If you simply want .5 to
become 30 then multiply by 60.

However, if you want .5 to be formatted in minutes then it is .5 divided by
24 and then you have to format the cell to minutes.

To apply a multiplication or division to multiple cells, enter a value in
any spare cell and copy it. Select the range where you want it applied and
Paste Special and select Multiply or Divide etc. This operation ignores text
in the paste to selection.

Tip: Make a backup of your workbook before applying these operations.

Regards,

OssieMac

"Gary" wrote:

> Is there a format or formula to convert a decimal to time?  An example would
> be .5 would be 30 (minutes), .75 would be 45 (minutes), etc.  The Workbook
> is relatively large so any method would have to easily apply to thousands of
> numbers, versus simply manually converting one cell at a time.
>

> Regards,
>
> Gary

0
OssieMac (238)

SOP NonInventory Unit Cost 6 Decimal Places
Is there any simple way to increase the currency decimal places to greater than the current highest value of 5? Thanx Scott, I don't believe there is any easy or even moderately difficult way to do this, as the field types used to store amounts in GP only go up to 5 decimal places. -- Victoria Yudin Dynamics GP MVP Flexible Solutions - home of GP Reports http://www.flex-solutions.com/gpreports.html blog: http://www.victoriayudin.com "Scott Rutledge" <sersoar@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:E102B81B-8555-400E-843C-240C58794294@microsoft.com... > Is there any...

Reduce currency decimals
Hi, Is there any tool which will reduce the currency decimals on our Great Plains system. We want to reduce our system currency decimals. Thank you. KT I'm not sure if this is what you mean, but there's Tools >> Utilities >> Inventory >> Change Decimal Places This utility can change the decimal places for items. I don't know of any system-wide change for decimal places. Eleni "KT" wrote: > Hi, > > Is there any tool which will reduce the currency decimals on our Great > Plains system. We want to reduce our system currency decimals....

decimal problem
Hi all I a very strange effect when using different decimal settings and calculating some values: DECLARE @Decimal1 decimal(5, 2) DECLARE @Decimal2 decimal(30, 2) SET @Decimal1 = 0.2 SET @Decimal2 = 0.2 SELECT (CONVERT(decimal(15, 15), 0.000000000322900) * (1 - @Decimal1)) SELECT (CONVERT(decimal(15, 15), 0.000000000322900) * (1 - @Decimal2)) The first result is correct (0.00000000025832000), the second is wrong, why ??? Thanks for any comments Best regards Frank Uray Hi Frank This is what happens when you multiple these precision&scales Precision 15 + 3...

Decimal
In a laboratory test we do the temperature has to be reported to the nearest 0.5�C. Can anyone let me know how to format it so that when the result is a whole number, it leaves the decimal point out? eg 22�C or 22.5�C (not 22.�C or 22.0�C) Alan "Alan Cocks" <alandrob@netspace.net.au> wrote in message news:btlqhd$19fi$1@otis.netspace.net.au... > In a laboratory test we do the temperature has to be reported to the > nearest 0.5�C. > Can anyone let me know how to format it so that when the result is a whole > number, it leaves the decimal point out? &g...

VBA code and decimals
I have some VBA code as this: rrows=lastrow/4 if lastrow is 138 then rrows should be 34.5 but I always get 34(no decimal) How do I fix that Thanks I just did this and got 34.5 Sub lastrowdecimal() lastrow = 138 rrows = lastrow / 4 MsgBox rrows End Sub -- Don Guillett SalesAid Software dguillett1@austin.rr.com "pcor" <pcor@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:F21838BC-42AA-48A3-9B0C-D2139287A187@microsoft.com... >I have some VBA code as this: > rrows=lastrow/4 > > if lastrow is 138 then rrows should be 34.5 but I always get 34(no > decimal) >...

converting minutes to hours
Hello everyone...again Having trouble with the last formula I need for this worksheet. This one is a bit tricky. If the user enters in a whole number in cellA, say 1 (which equals 5 minutes), cellB has to display based on cellA, the value in hours(in decimal form). so if a user enters in 6 in cellA, cellB would display .5 hours. This is possible, right? Any help or suggestions would be apprecaited Mike Hi try the following in B1 =TIME(0,A1*5,0) and format the cell B1 as 'Time' or enter the formula =(A1*5)/(24*60) and also format as 'Time' -- Regards Frank Kabel Frankfu...

Currency and the number of decimal places
I have an application which has neen running for a number of years, firstly on Access2000 then XP and now on Access 2003. It uses many currency fields for invoicing , credit notes etc. Each field which is of currency type has the decimal property set to 2. Up until recently the ATB balanced fine but lately it has been a few cents out. The reason is that some amounts have been put in with 3 decimal places and some calculations (eg GST of 10% of $398.68 returning to the GST field a value of $39.868) returning 3 decimal places. I guess with the calculations, I can code to make sure only ...

No decimals?
Hello! Is it possible to stop Money (2005) from using decimal places in the base currency? I am using a currency that uses only integers and no cents (because cents are almost worthless), and invoices amounts usually get some cents due to sales tax calculations, Is it possible to get rid of them? I find this very annoying since cents accumulate over several transactions, and end up with an slightly unreal balance... Thanks! Keiv Hi, It was possible in older version (pobably until 2001). You had to change the Windows's regional settings in the control panel before a new file creatio...

Decimal number to percentage formula (newbie question)
I've got a column full of numbers like 0.5, 1.0, etc. I need them to look like 0.500%. I figured out how to format the cells so that 0.5 looks like 0.500, but when I change the cell format to percentage, it makes 0.500 into 50.000%. So I figured out how to make a formula that divides 0.500 by 100 (=R1C6/100), resulting in 0.005, which I can format to a percentage and get 0.500%. Where I'm stumped is in applying that formula to the entire column. Instead of =R1C6/100, I want my formula to say =all rowsC6/100. How do I tell it {allrows}? Thanks for putting up with a newbie Ken Benson ...

European vs American decimals
I have transferred a chart with statistics from an American Website to my Dutch version of Excel 2003. All the statistics are stated in the American format (with a period as the decimal sign): example = 8.6 I am not able to make formulas because Excel doesn't seem to recognize the period (.) as a decimal sign. (all my equations get the answer 0) I would like to know how to change the period into a comma(the Dutch decimal sign), so that I can use the formula function. or I would like to know how to make Excel recognize the Amerian format to use the formula function. Thank you H...

Count digits before decimals and after decimals
Dear expert, Would like to count the digits before decimals and after decimals. For example, 111975.35 should be 6 digits before decimals and 2 digits after decimals 12456.25 should be 5 and 2 2478.24 should be 4 and 2 248.37 should be 3 and 2 Using LEN does not help. Can you help please? Hi, Why doesn't LEN help. try these =LEN(INT(A1)) and for the decimal portion =IF(ISERROR(FIND(".",A1)),0,LEN(A1)-FIND(".",A1)) -- Mike When competing hypotheses are otherwise equal, adopt the hypothesis that introduces the fewest assumptions while...

Don't lose my decimals!
I have a int field and a decimal field (which however contains only numeric values) I need to divide this fields: SELECT field1/CONVERT(INT,field2) The operation is Ok, but I don't get decimal. I tried even SELECT CONVERT(FLOAT,field1/CONVERT(INT,field2)) but it's the same. How do I get decimals? And I want to get only two. Thanks. Luciano "Luciano (DOC)" <lucianodoc@luciano.doc> ha scritto nel messaggio news:4b9a83b3$0$1110$4fafbaef@reader2.news.tin.it... >I have a int field and a decimal field I mean a varchar field. L. Data typ...

decimal separator?
Hi, I'm using web quiries to obtain data from web pages. Some of the sites use ',' as a desimal separator others use '.'. I'm from Finland so I'd like to use ',' as decimal separator. Is there a way to format those U.S.-format('.') numbers to Finnish-format(',') without changing the setting for the whole progmam/operating system?? Thank you, Jimmy format the cells where you will paste as text paste in the data format the cells a general do edit=>Replace Replace what . replace with , -- Regards, Tom Ogilvy Jimmy <jj_22_jj@yahoo...

Number Format
I have a system that records attribute data. An Engineer enters a specification range for the values and an integer value for the desired number of decimal places to display. I have the following formula in my report's record source Round([Act_Value], Nz([Dec_Place],0)) This works to limit the number of decimals, but doesn't "set" the display. For example [Act_value] = 0.5 [Dec_place] = 3 The above formula will diplay 0.5. I want it to display 05.00. Is there a way to do this? Any help will be appreciated. Use the format function Format(Round([Act_Value],...

Qty Decimals
Hi Out There, Does anyone know if there is a way to set a part to 4 decimals, but to show 0 decimal places on the PO & SOP Screens and printouts? We would like to have the option of 4 decimals for Bills of Materials, but we don't want the orders and PO's to show 4.0000 because it forces the data entry to add a perios in order to make it a whole number. (We've been having issues with that) Thank you! You can do this with Modifier/VBA. If you don't find a better way and want to pursue this route let me know and I will help. ...

format and decimals in control text
Hi format and decimals in a text box do not seem to work as expected. I can set format to general number or leave it blank and decimals to 0 or 1, makes no difference, I get 1 decimal in some text boxes and no decimals in others. the decimals are not rounded off either, they can be .3 or .9. does anyone know why and how to deal with this problem? regards LP wrote: >format and decimals in a text box do not seem to work as expected. >I can set format to general number or leave it blank and decimals to 0 or 1, >makes no difference, I get 1 decimal in some text boxes and no decimals...

Degrees Minutes Decimal Minutes to Decimal Degrees.
Hi All, I have got a worksheet with cells like: E174 36.992 I need to get that into decimal degrees like E174.61653 Is there a way to do this with a forumla? I start with find, left, right functions, but I ended up parenthesis hell. Cheers -Al "Al" <bigal.nz@gmail.com> wrote: > I have got a worksheet with cells like: > E174 36.992 > I need to get that into decimal degrees like > E174.61653 One way: =LEFT(A1,FIND(" ",A1)-1) & TEXT(RIGHT(A1,LEN(A1)-FIND(" ",A1))/60,".00000") ----- original messa...

number of quantity decimals
Hello: Other than perhaps rounding issues, are there any problems with having quantity decimals for some items in inventory being 5, some being 4, and some being 3? childofthe1980s If it works for your parts and pricing, it works for GP. I frequently have some parts with 5 decimals and others with 2 -- Richard L. Whaley Author / Consultant / MVP 2006-2008 Documentation for Software Users Get our Free Tips and Tricks Newsletter and check out our books at http://www.AccoladePublications.com "childofthe1980s" wrote: > Hello: > > Other than perhaps rounding issue...

Decimals
Hi , I have a pedantic client who when he exports the report to excel does not want to see two decimal places . I have set it to N0 and P0 , but alas no luck , any suggestions ? Regards Malcolm ...

converting Minutes & Seconds into seconds
When my time is 10 minutes and 50 seconds how can I convert the time into seconds? Depends upon how the 10 mins 50 secs is entered. I have 00:10:50 in A1 In B1 enter =A1*86400 I have 10:50:00 in A1 In B1 I enter =A1*1440 Format as General.........returns 650 Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP On Fri, 11 Dec 2009 10:46:01 -0800, Joe <Joe@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >When my time is 10 minutes and 50 seconds how can I convert the time into >seconds? ...

Preserve decimal 0 in function bar
Hi, my problem is to show decimal in bar function when decimal is 0 If i write "=3,00+2,70" excel write "=3+2,7". How can i say excel to don't truncate 0? A workaround is to write function like this: ="3,00"+"2,70" ....but i don't like it. There is another solutions? Thanks!!!! If you mean you want to change what you see in the cell, you do that with formatting. Set the number of decimal places to 2. If you mean you want to change what is displayed in the formula bar, I don't think that is possible. On Fri, 09 Sep 2005 14:56:49 GMT, ...

Decimal alignment
Version: 2008 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.6 (Snow Leopard) How do I align decimals in a word document? I know it has something to do with setting tabs, but I can't seem to get it right when I tried to figure it out myself! Thanks so much. Why are you trying to "figure it out" for yourself?... That's what Help is for :-) See the topic: Set tab stops Regards |:>) Bob Jones [MVP] Office:Mac On 2/7/10 6:37 PM, in article 59bb26da.-1@webcrossing.JaKIaxP2ac0, "brielle78@officeformac.com" <brielle78@officeformac.com> wrote: > Version: ...

decimal
Hi. How do you enter 400. into Excel? The important part is to leav the decimal place after the second zero. I've done everythin imaginable but the decimal always get erased after I hit enter. Than you -- oshirot ----------------------------------------------------------------------- oshiroty's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=1473 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=26352 Format the cell for TEXT before typing the 400. or type a leading apostrophe, like '400. The apostrophe will not show up in the cell...

Two digit number with one decimal, or three digit number
I would like to have one decimal point in a number, unless the number is 100 in order to fit the columns in a table. So, three digits for whatever number I type in, and if it is two digits, to have a decimal. 95.6 45.2 80.0 100 - NOT 100.0 123 - NOT 123.0 Thanks! Custom Format: [<100]0.0;0 "Cass1930" wrote: > I would like to have one decimal point in a number, unless the number is 100 > in order to fit the columns in a table. So, three digits for whatever number > I type in, and if it is two digits, to have a decimal. > > 95.6 &g...

Item Decimal Qtys and Currency
We have a few inventory items that were set up with DECPLQTY and DECPLCUR set up with values exceeding 1 and 3. Is this something easily changed? We have a third party that manages our Dynamics stuff but if it's a quick and easy fix I'd consider doing it myself. Any information is greatly appreciated. Thanks! DECPLQTY is easy to change. DECPLCUR can require a little more work to change if you have price lists already set for the items. Changing the DECPLCUR will delete any price lists you have set and they'll have to be recreated. To access the functionality to change ...