decimal formatting

Is there a way to format cells so that the decimal digits only show if
value other than zero?  For instance, if I entered "65" in a cell, i
would show up simply as 65, no decimal point showing.  If I changed i
to "65.5"- same cell - then the .5 would show, without having t
physically change the setting.  On calculators, it's called floatin
decimal.  I checked Help, but didn't see anything like this.  Am
missing something???  Thanks for any help

--
amyenoc
amyenoch's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=2333

excel 39879 articles. 2 followers. Follow

Try the default format called General

--
Regards,

Peo Sjoblom

(No private emails please)

"amyenoch" <amyenoch.1qliya_1118718300.5888@excelforum-nospam.com> wrote in
message news:amyenoch.1qliya_1118718300.5888@excelforum-nospam.com...

> Is there a way to format cells so that the decimal digits only show if a
> value other than zero?  For instance, if I entered "65" in a cell, it
> would show up simply as 65, no decimal point showing.  If I changed it
> to "65.5"- same cell - then the .5 would show, without having to
> physically change the setting.  On calculators, it's called floating
> decimal.  I checked Help, but didn't see anything like this.  Am I
> missing something???  Thanks for any help.
>

> --
> amyenoch
> amyenoch's Profile:
> http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=23337
> View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=378855

0
terre081 (3244)
6/14/2005 3:23:40 AM
Got it - thanks!   I knew it had to be something simple!  Duh

--
amyenoc
amyenoch's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=2333
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=37885

help to conditional formatting from Lebans
Hi to everyone, I was tring to apply a conditional formatting to my "subform in datasheet view", more exactly I was finding a way to Highlighting the Current Row of this form. So I went to Lebans's web-site and I downloaded this example: http://www.lebans.com/conditionalformatting.htm (A2KConditionalFormatting.zip ) I imported to mydb the cls:clsConditionalFormattingDataSheetView and I followed the instruction in it (at least I hope so), every seem to work properly but the select row does not change in red! Could someone give to me a hand to understand where I am making mistake...

Reduce currency decimals
Hi, Is there any tool which will reduce the currency decimals on our Great Plains system. We want to reduce our system currency decimals. Thank you. KT I'm not sure if this is what you mean, but there's Tools >> Utilities >> Inventory >> Change Decimal Places This utility can change the decimal places for items. I don't know of any system-wide change for decimal places. Eleni "KT" wrote: > Hi, > > Is there any tool which will reduce the currency decimals on our Great > Plains system. We want to reduce our system currency decimals....

Footer Date Format #2
Hi Is it possible to change the format of Date in the Header/ Foote Say, from the default M/D/YYYY to DD/MMM/YYY Than Sachin Hi AFAIK not directly possible. But you may use the following macro (put it in your workbook module - not in a standard module): Private Sub Workbook_BeforePrint(Cancel As Boolean) Dim wkSht As Worksheet For Each wkSht In Me.Worksheets With wkSht.PageSetup .CenterFooter = Format(date,"DD/MMM/YYYY") End With Next wkSht End Sub -- Regards Frank Kabel Frankfurt, Germany Sachin wrote: > Hi! > > Is it possible to change the...

format of go to cells
using excel 2007, using find-go to special formulas, the shading on the formula cells is the lightest blue and very difficult to see. Can I change this fill color format? charlie Unfortunately I don't think you can. There have been a lot of complaints about shading of cells in XL2007. -- Regards Roger Govier "Charlie Woll" <cwoll@citlink.net> wrote in message news:eiB2opYcIHA.3572@TK2MSFTNGP02.phx.gbl... > using excel 2007, using find-go to special formulas, the shading on the > formula cells is the lightest blue and very difficult to see. Can I > cha...

Styles and Formatting
Hi, I've created my own styles and formats under my normal word document that I'm happy with. However, when I open up someone else's word document, their own formats remain and I no longer see the formats I've saved. How can I remove their formatting from my styles and formatting task pane and have the file use my own formats? Styles are a document property. If the other user used styles with the same names as yours, you can attach your Normal.dot and check the box for "Automatically update document styles," but this is perverting the intent of the us...

Sending a mail .doc, others see all formatting.
Version: 2004 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.4 (Tiger) When I send a word doc to colleagues they can see all the formatting and editing. I cant see it on my screen nor when I print it out. How can I stoop this? Thanks ...

SOP NonInventory Unit Cost 6 Decimal Places
Is there any simple way to increase the currency decimal places to greater than the current highest value of 5? Thanx Scott, I don't believe there is any easy or even moderately difficult way to do this, as the field types used to store amounts in GP only go up to 5 decimal places. -- Victoria Yudin Dynamics GP MVP Flexible Solutions - home of GP Reports http://www.flex-solutions.com/gpreports.html blog: http://www.victoriayudin.com "Scott Rutledge" <sersoar@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:E102B81B-8555-400E-843C-240C58794294@microsoft.com... > Is there any...

decimal problem
Hi all I a very strange effect when using different decimal settings and calculating some values: DECLARE @Decimal1 decimal(5, 2) DECLARE @Decimal2 decimal(30, 2) SET @Decimal1 = 0.2 SET @Decimal2 = 0.2 SELECT (CONVERT(decimal(15, 15), 0.000000000322900) * (1 - @Decimal1)) SELECT (CONVERT(decimal(15, 15), 0.000000000322900) * (1 - @Decimal2)) The first result is correct (0.00000000025832000), the second is wrong, why ??? Thanks for any comments Best regards Frank Uray Hi Frank This is what happens when you multiple these precision&scales Precision 15 + 3...

Lookup formats
Hi, This may be a long shot, but... As well as the value being looked up from a look up table, is i possible for the format of the "looked up" cell to be carried across? eg. a1 contains the formula =vlookup(b1,c1:d100,2) The values in column d in the lookup table are colour-coded. Can th lookup function be made to include this colour coding? Thanks fre -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com An alternative may be to use conditional formatting, based on the answe given. Not sure if it helps. Li -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com Hi a formula can...

Received forwarded message format
Hello, I am using Outlook 2007 (part of Office 2007 SP2). I sometimes receive messages from others where I cannot see the left most upper portion of the message. I assume this is some kind of formatting issue. Is there anything I can do to resolve this issue short of going into the message and editing it, tabbing the hidden portions to the right? -- Thanks, Bob "BBran" <bbran@nowhere.com> wrote in message news:eOO$MvABKHA.2604@TK2MSFTNGP03.phx.gbl... > I am using Outlook 2007 (part of Office 2007 SP2). I sometimes receive > messages from others where I cannot se...

Converting from a String to a Date Format
I currently have a large table (1.4+ records) with date information that is currently stored as a string. The field does not have any date part seperators (e.g., / or - ). For example, October 1, 2001 is stored as 09012001. I have figured out how to convert where there are date part seperators (e.g., DateValue function) but I can't seem to figure it how when there are no seperators. Any idea if this can be done easily. Currently I break out all of the component parts of the date, convert them to numerical, and then make them into a date field with the DateSerial function. T...

Decimal
In a laboratory test we do the temperature has to be reported to the nearest 0.5�C. Can anyone let me know how to format it so that when the result is a whole number, it leaves the decimal point out? eg 22�C or 22.5�C (not 22.�C or 22.0�C) Alan "Alan Cocks" <alandrob@netspace.net.au> wrote in message news:btlqhd$19fi$1@otis.netspace.net.au... > In a laboratory test we do the temperature has to be reported to the > nearest 0.5�C. > Can anyone let me know how to format it so that when the result is a whole > number, it leaves the decimal point out? &g...

Can the Date Format be Changed
Is there a way to change the date format in MS Money 2004? Regards, Kevin Quite easily, just change the date format in Control Panel and Money should use it/. -- Glyn Simpson, Microsoft MVP - Money Check http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=fh;EN-GB;mny for UK tips and fixes for MS Money. To send Microsoft your wishes or suggestions, use http://register.microsoft.com/mswish/suggestion.asp or email mnyukwsh@microsoft.com especially if it's a UK specific wish. I do not respond to any unsolicited email regarding Money "Kevin" <Lundquisk001@hawaii.rr.com> wrot...

formating data
After importing banking information in the format "20041126000001", I want the end result to be of the format "mm/dd/yyyy". The first 8 digits will be used for this, the remainder may be deleted. Thank you for your help. Hi use the following formula in a helper column: =--TEXT(--LEFT(A1,6),"0000-00-00")) and format this cell as date -- Regards Frank Kabel Frankfurt, Germany "MLH" <MLH@discussions.microsoft.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag news:C6D314D5-E894-470E-AB88-77570078633D@microsoft.com... > After importing banking information in the f...

VBA code and decimals
I have some VBA code as this: rrows=lastrow/4 if lastrow is 138 then rrows should be 34.5 but I always get 34(no decimal) How do I fix that Thanks I just did this and got 34.5 Sub lastrowdecimal() lastrow = 138 rrows = lastrow / 4 MsgBox rrows End Sub -- Don Guillett SalesAid Software dguillett1@austin.rr.com "pcor" <pcor@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:F21838BC-42AA-48A3-9B0C-D2139287A187@microsoft.com... >I have some VBA code as this: > rrows=lastrow/4 > > if lastrow is 138 then rrows should be 34.5 but I always get 34(no > decimal) >...

Formatting Problem
Hi I run Excel 2k I have a column of numbers going from 001 through to 700 The numbers have been formatted as custom 000 so as to accomodate the numbers 001 through to 099. They all look as they should on the worksheet. I use this column of data in a pivit table. I found that the numbers 001 & 002 show up in the pivot table as 1 & 2. I looked in the worksheet and noticed that when I select the cell (A1) with the number 001, the edit bar shows it as 1. This also applies for the cell A2 where the number on the worksheet is 002 but in the edit bar it shows as 2. All the other n...

Currency and the number of decimal places
I have an application which has neen running for a number of years, firstly on Access2000 then XP and now on Access 2003. It uses many currency fields for invoicing , credit notes etc. Each field which is of currency type has the decimal property set to 2. Up until recently the ATB balanced fine but lately it has been a few cents out. The reason is that some amounts have been put in with 3 decimal places and some calculations (eg GST of 10% of $398.68 returning to the GST field a value of $39.868) returning 3 decimal places. I guess with the calculations, I can code to make sure only ...

How do I retain formatting?
The following line of code will copy data from one sheet (Wbs) to another (Wbd): Wbd.Range("C" & lngNewRow).Value = wbS.Range("E" & lngRowNo) How can I adapt the above to retain the formatting from the source sheet? -- Traa Dy Liooar Jock The default property for a range is Value, so your statement is only assigning one value to another cell's value. If you use the range's Copy method, then you bring everything about the cell over. Give this a try... wbS.Range("E" & lngRowNo).Copy Wbd.Range("C" & lngNew...

format painter
Hi, I hope the Excel mavens can help with this minor but galling problem. I have Excel 2003 running on Windows 2000. If I use the format painter to copy the format from cell 1 to cell 2 (e.g., change of font) it works as expected. But if I later want to alter the format in cell 2 to boldusing the bold button, it does not alter the format. The italic or underline buttons work as expected! But I can go to the full format menu and use the font format setting (e.g., bold) and get the cell 2 format changed to bold. If I use the full format menu to format a cell I can use the bold but...

No decimals?
Hello! Is it possible to stop Money (2005) from using decimal places in the base currency? I am using a currency that uses only integers and no cents (because cents are almost worthless), and invoices amounts usually get some cents due to sales tax calculations, Is it possible to get rid of them? I find this very annoying since cents accumulate over several transactions, and end up with an slightly unreal balance... Thanks! Keiv Hi, It was possible in older version (pobably until 2001). You had to change the Windows's regional settings in the control panel before a new file creatio...

Incorrect Date Formats
Hello, When I enter a date like 03/24/06 I am getting a strange number "38976" instead of the date. I have checked the format of the cell and it is correct. It will appear correctly when I click on the cell. Using Office XP (for now). Thanks! tools|options|view|uncheck formulas Mark wrote: > > Hello, > > When I enter a date like 03/24/06 I am getting a strange number "38976" > instead of the date. I have checked the format of the cell and it is > correct. It will appear correctly when I click on the cell. Using Office > XP (for now). > ...

Decimal number to percentage formula (newbie question)
I've got a column full of numbers like 0.5, 1.0, etc. I need them to look like 0.500%. I figured out how to format the cells so that 0.5 looks like 0.500, but when I change the cell format to percentage, it makes 0.500 into 50.000%. So I figured out how to make a formula that divides 0.500 by 100 (=R1C6/100), resulting in 0.005, which I can format to a percentage and get 0.500%. Where I'm stumped is in applying that formula to the entire column. Instead of =R1C6/100, I want my formula to say =all rowsC6/100. How do I tell it {allrows}? Thanks for putting up with a newbie Ken Benson ...

Can I change a date with no format (20051111) to date format?
Can I change a date with no format ex: 20051111 to a date format ex: 11/11/2005? As long as you have 2 digits for months and days, select the column, do data>text to columns, click next twice, under column data format select date and then select YMD assuming that is the order of the original. Then it will retrun a date based on your regional setting so if in US you should get MDY -- Regards, Peo Sjoblom "Rose" <Rose@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:339D3237-0358-422C-A029-711F0D7FE602@microsoft.com... > Can I change a date with no format ex: 20051...

Additional Conditional Formatting Question
I have a budget with a master worksheet and each month as a separat worksheet all within one workbook. As I posted before: I am trying to get a buget with carryover overages or underages i.e. B2= budgeted amount C2= actual spent D2= overage or underage The Formula Posted by Max worked wonderfully D2: =IF(OR(ISBLANK(C2),C2<=0),"",B2-C2) I copied this into each month's D2 cell and dragged it down to all th cells in that column so the formula would be copied to all of the item in the budget Now what I am trying to do is to keep a running total on the maste sheet in F2 where...

Don't lose my decimals!
I have a int field and a decimal field (which however contains only numeric values) I need to divide this fields: SELECT field1/CONVERT(INT,field2) The operation is Ok, but I don't get decimal. I tried even SELECT CONVERT(FLOAT,field1/CONVERT(INT,field2)) but it's the same. How do I get decimals? And I want to get only two. Thanks. Luciano "Luciano (DOC)" <lucianodoc@luciano.doc> ha scritto nel messaggio news:4b9a83b3$0$1110$4fafbaef@reader2.news.tin.it... >I have a int field and a decimal field I mean a varchar field. L. Data typ...