Dates changed on Copy Cell

I am now using Excel 2007 and keep finding that the year in the date is
changed when I copy from one cell to another in another spreadsheet.
I start with 9/12/2008 17:00 (formated as a custom format) and it is copied
in as 10/12/2012 17:00 (same format).

Can anyone help?
Thanks Jim
0
Jim8980 (510)
10/20/2008 12:44:02 PM
excel 39879 articles. 2 followers. Follow

> changed when I copy from one cell to another in another spreadsheet.

I assume that you mean Workbook not Worksheet in the same Workbook.

You have the second Workbook set to the 1904 date system.

--
HTH

Sandy
and the crowning place of kings

sandymann2@mailinator.com

"Jim" <Jim@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I am now using Excel 2007 and keep finding that the year in the date is
> changed when I copy from one cell to another in another spreadsheet.
> I start with 9/12/2008 17:00 (formated as a custom format) and it is
> copied
> in as 10/12/2012 17:00 (same format).
>
> Can anyone help?
> Thanks Jim

0
sandymann2 (1054)
10/20/2008 12:48:19 PM
Sandy
Thanks - the second spreadsheet came from a Mac now I have looked at Excel
help!! Explains it - well sort of!
Jim

"Sandy Mann" wrote:

> > changed when I copy from one cell to another in another spreadsheet.
>
> I assume that you mean Workbook not Worksheet in the same Workbook.
>
> You have the second Workbook set to the 1904 date system.
>
> --
> HTH
>
> Sandy
> In Perth, the ancient capital of Scotland
> and the crowning place of kings
>
> sandymann2@mailinator.com
> Replace @mailinator.com with @tiscali.co.uk
>

> "Jim" <Jim@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >I am now using Excel 2007 and keep finding that the year in the date is
> > changed when I copy from one cell to another in another spreadsheet.
> > I start with 9/12/2008 17:00 (formated as a custom format) and it is
> > copied
> > in as 10/12/2012 17:00 (same format).
> >
> > Can anyone help?
> > Thanks Jim

0
Jim8980 (510)
10/20/2008 12:58:42 PM
Hi,

Here is the rest of the explanation -
On the Mac the standard date system used to be the 1904 date system, on the
PC it runs from 1900 by default.  This is an Excel setting, so any files
moved from a computer in one system to one in the other system will be off by
4+ years.

Reason: Lotus 1-2-3 made a mistake regarding Leap year 1900 which caused all
dates to be in error by 1 day.  To avoid this issue and maintain compatibilty
with 1-2-3 Excel on the PC followed Lotus and left the error, but on the Mac
where there was initially no compatibility issue they just skipped over the
leap year date and started their calendar in 1904.

Solution:  Put both computers on the same date system.  If necessary you can
add a fixed number of days (or subtract) from all the dates manually.

-----------
Thanks,
Shane Devenshire

"Jim" wrote:

> Sandy
> Thanks - the second spreadsheet came from a Mac now I have looked at Excel
> help!! Explains it - well sort of!
> Jim
>
> "Sandy Mann" wrote:
>
> > > changed when I copy from one cell to another in another spreadsheet.
> >
> > I assume that you mean Workbook not Worksheet in the same Workbook.
> >
> > You have the second Workbook set to the 1904 date system.
> >
> > --
> > HTH
> >
> > Sandy
> > In Perth, the ancient capital of Scotland
> > and the crowning place of kings
> >
> > sandymann2@mailinator.com
> > Replace @mailinator.com with @tiscali.co.uk
> >

> > "Jim" <Jim@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > >I am now using Excel 2007 and keep finding that the year in the date is
> > > changed when I copy from one cell to another in another spreadsheet.
> > > I start with 9/12/2008 17:00 (formated as a custom format) and it is
> > > copied
> > > in as 10/12/2012 17:00 (same format).
> > >
> > > Can anyone help?
> > > Thanks Jim

>If necessary you can
> add a fixed number of days (or subtract) from all the dates manually.

Type 1462 into any empty cell in the workbook.

Copy the contents by selecting the cell and pressing CTRL+C.

Select the cell that contains the date you want to update.

Excel 2007 only:
On the Home tab, in the Clipboard group, click Paste, click Paste Special, select Add (or Subtract depending on which workbook you
are pasting to), and then click OK.

-or-

Excel 97, Excel 2000, Excel 2002, and Excel 2003 only:
On the Edit menu, click Paste Special, click Add (or Subtract depending on which workbook you are pasting to), and then click OK

--

Regards Ron de Bruin
http://www.rondebruin.nl/tips.htm

"ShaneDevenshire" <ShaneDevenshire@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> Here is the rest of the explanation -
> On the Mac the standard date system used to be the 1904 date system, on the
> PC it runs from 1900 by default.  This is an Excel setting, so any files
> moved from a computer in one system to one in the other system will be off by
> 4+ years.
>
> Reason: Lotus 1-2-3 made a mistake regarding Leap year 1900 which caused all
> dates to be in error by 1 day.  To avoid this issue and maintain compatibilty
> with 1-2-3 Excel on the PC followed Lotus and left the error, but on the Mac
> where there was initially no compatibility issue they just skipped over the
> leap year date and started their calendar in 1904.
>
> Solution:  Put both computers on the same date system.  If necessary you can
> add a fixed number of days (or subtract) from all the dates manually.
>
> -----------
> If this helps, please click the Yes button.
> --
> Thanks,
> Shane Devenshire
>

> "Jim" wrote:
>
>> Sandy
>> Thanks - the second spreadsheet came from a Mac now I have looked at Excel
>> help!! Explains it - well sort of!
>> Jim

>> > I assume that you mean Workbook not Worksheet in the same Workbook.
>> >
>> > You have the second Workbook set to the 1904 date system.
>> >
>> > --
>> > HTH
>> >
>> > Sandy
>> > In Perth, the ancient capital of Scotland
>> > and the crowning place of kings
>> >
>> > sandymann2@mailinator.com
>> > Replace @mailinator.com with @tiscali.co.uk
>> >

>> > "Jim" <Jim@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

0
rondebruin (3789)
10/20/2008 4:53:10 PM
How do you put the computer (I am using a Mac that needs to transfer files
with PC's at the office) on a different date system?  Where is this located?
Is this for the whole computer, or just Excel?  Thank you.

"Ron de Bruin" wrote:

> >If necessary you can
> > add a fixed number of days (or subtract) from all the dates manually.
>

> Type 1462 into any empty cell in the workbook.
>
> Copy the contents by selecting the cell and pressing CTRL+C.
>
> Select the cell that contains the date you want to update.
>
> Excel 2007 only:
> On the Home tab, in the Clipboard group, click Paste, click Paste Special, select Add (or Subtract depending on which workbook you
> are pasting to), and then click OK.
>
> -or-
>
> Excel 97, Excel 2000, Excel 2002, and Excel 2003 only:
> On the Edit menu, click Paste Special, click Add (or Subtract depending on which workbook you are pasting to), and then click OK
>

> --
>
> Regards Ron de Bruin
> http://www.rondebruin.nl/tips.htm
>

> "ShaneDevenshire" <ShaneDevenshire@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Hi,
> >
> > Here is the rest of the explanation -
> > On the Mac the standard date system used to be the 1904 date system, on the
> > PC it runs from 1900 by default.  This is an Excel setting, so any files
> > moved from a computer in one system to one in the other system will be off by
> > 4+ years.
> >
> > Reason: Lotus 1-2-3 made a mistake regarding Leap year 1900 which caused all
> > dates to be in error by 1 day.  To avoid this issue and maintain compatibilty
> > with 1-2-3 Excel on the PC followed Lotus and left the error, but on the Mac
> > where there was initially no compatibility issue they just skipped over the
> > leap year date and started their calendar in 1904.
> >
> > Solution:  Put both computers on the same date system.  If necessary you can
> > add a fixed number of days (or subtract) from all the dates manually.
> >
> > -----------
> > If this helps, please click the Yes button.
> > --
> > Thanks,
> > Shane Devenshire
> >

> > "Jim" wrote:
> >
> >> Sandy
> >> Thanks - the second spreadsheet came from a Mac now I have looked at Excel
> >> help!! Explains it - well sort of!
> >> Jim

0
clinhart (1)
11/20/2008 7:25:01 PM
Hi clinhart

It is a Excel setting and in Excel for Windows you can change it in Tools>Options
On the Calculation Tab you can change it.
In Excel 2007:  Office Button>excel Options....Advanced

No idea where it is on a Mac or if it is possible to change on a Mac

--

"clinhart" <clinhart@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:2E9BDF0A-E033-4697-AD37-562CB66FB70C@microsoft.com...
> How do you put the computer (I am using a Mac that needs to transfer files
> with PC's at the office) on a different date system?  Where is this located?
> Is this for the whole computer, or just Excel?  Thank you.
>
> "Ron de Bruin" wrote:
>
>> >If necessary you can
>> > add a fixed number of days (or subtract) from all the dates manually.
>>

>> Type 1462 into any empty cell in the workbook.
>>
>> Copy the contents by selecting the cell and pressing CTRL+C.
>>
>> Select the cell that contains the date you want to update.
>>
>> Excel 2007 only:
>> On the Home tab, in the Clipboard group, click Paste, click Paste Special, select Add (or Subtract depending on which workbook
>> you
>> are pasting to), and then click OK.
>>
>> -or-
>>
>> Excel 97, Excel 2000, Excel 2002, and Excel 2003 only:
>> On the Edit menu, click Paste Special, click Add (or Subtract depending on which workbook you are pasting to), and then click OK
>>

>> --
>>
>> Regards Ron de Bruin
>> http://www.rondebruin.nl/tips.htm
>>

>> "ShaneDevenshire" <ShaneDevenshire@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > Hi,
>> >
>> > Here is the rest of the explanation -
>> > On the Mac the standard date system used to be the 1904 date system, on the
>> > PC it runs from 1900 by default.  This is an Excel setting, so any files
>> > moved from a computer in one system to one in the other system will be off by
>> > 4+ years.
>> >
>> > Reason: Lotus 1-2-3 made a mistake regarding Leap year 1900 which caused all
>> > dates to be in error by 1 day.  To avoid this issue and maintain compatibilty
>> > with 1-2-3 Excel on the PC followed Lotus and left the error, but on the Mac
>> > where there was initially no compatibility issue they just skipped over the
>> > leap year date and started their calendar in 1904.
>> >
>> > Solution:  Put both computers on the same date system.  If necessary you can
>> > add a fixed number of days (or subtract) from all the dates manually.
>> >
>> > -----------
>> > If this helps, please click the Yes button.
>> > --
>> > Thanks,
>> > Shane Devenshire

0
rondebruin (3789)

filter by date and action

time cell Highlight
how do i make a time cell that is behind Real time of less than minutes be highlighted i know how to use conditional formating but i dont know how to inpu information in time ie: A1= Real time 17:35 B1=17:33 B2=17:25 B3=17:18 in this case i need cell B1 to be highlighted which is behing Real tim (A1) of less than 5 minutes............ -- Pivotren ----------------------------------------------------------------------- Pivotrend's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=406 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=27255 Hi u...

LF displays as square box in cell
I have some cells with text where the LF (line feed) displays as a square box. Searching the web for this scenario suggests that turning on Word Wrap should eliminate this display but it does not in my case. Also, not all LFs in the cell display as a square box and one of my co- workers does not see the behaviour when he opens the file on his PC (another co-worker does see the problem). The text has been downloaded from a SQL query and I'm using Excel 2007/ WinXP. Any suggestions on how to clean up the view of the cells with this text? On Thu, 17 Feb 2011 08:20:38 -0800 (PST), John <...

Transaction Date VS Business Date

truncating data within a cell for an entire column
Hi, I have a numeric value in a cell that is followed by a space and then three alphanumeric characters e.g., -24 dBm. How can I delete the alphanumeric chracters and preserve the nummeric charaters so that I can apply the average function to the entire column? Thanks, vlapi vlapi wrote: > Hi, > I have a numeric value in a cell that is followed by a space and then three > alphanumeric characters e.g., -24 dBm. How can I delete the alphanumeric > chracters and preserve the nummeric charaters so that I can apply the average > function to the entire column? > Thanks, >...

Post Dated Checks

Navigating to Referenced Cell
I run Excel 2002 with SP-2. I finally discovered how to move to a referenced cell ( Control +[ ). I saw somebody else do it with a simple double click of a cell that had a reference in it. Mine, however, doesn't work that way (is there a way to make the double click method work?). The real question is this: After I get to a referenced cell with Control +[ is there a way to QUICKLY get back to where I started? Jeannine I'm surprised you didn't try the obvious: <Ctrl> <]> BTW, double click should work if you; <Tools> <Options> *UNCHECK* "Edit Di...

unwanted slide layout changes when using copy and paste with equat
Hello: I have Office 2003, and I frequently use Microsoft Equation 3.0 for mathematical equations that I need. Often, I need to copy-and-paste an exisiting equation multiple times. However, when I try to paste a copy of an equation, the slide layout changes. For instance, if I start with a "title, text, and content" slide, then the act of pasting an equation turns that slide into a "title, text, and 2 content" slide. Worse, all of my graphics and whatnot on the slide are now all pushed over to one side of the slide and I have to go move them all back ...

changing case #2
Hi, is there any way I can change the letter case in Excel. I know thi can be done in word by going to format and change case, but am unsur how to do it in EXcel. I simply want to change everything to capital letters. Please let me know, thank you very much for your help. Sheeta -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com Hi Sheetal There is a function =UPPER(A1) but if you want to change all the cells then use a macro See this webpages http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/excel/proper.htm Or http://www.cpearson.com/excel/case.htm Here is a Macro for changing text cells in the select...

strange date format problem

Changing default "thread priority" of some kernel services
Hello, Are there way to change priority level of some kernel services? For example: Print Spooler to use Low Priority but LanManServer to use High Priority Level . In the past in Windows NT it was by adding registry DWORD value "ThreadPriority" under desired service ...

How to sort by name then date?

Exmerge as brick copy utility
Hi! I'm using Exmerge to make pst files containing data from all mailboxes on our Exchange 2003 server. It works quite well. However the pst files continually grow because new items are added (DataImportMethod = 1) but deleted items are not removed. Is the only way to remove the deleted items from the pst files to delete the files and then run exmerge again? It takes quite long to use this option... Thanks in advance Morten On Mon, 8 Nov 2004 09:54:00 +0100, "Morten" <morten_skovgaard@hotmail.com> wrote: >Hi! > >I'm using Exmerge to make pst files ...

if statement with dates #2

Counting Dates?

http://crm/reportserver
CRM and SRS Reportserver changes Previously I could access SRS reports from http://crm/reportserver by clicking the reports title as a hyperlink, we recently did an upgrade to 4.0 in our development environment and now I cannot open the reports from the http://crm/reportserver link I can only see them, furthermore the Report Title isn't the hyperlink anymore it appears to be a report GUID. The reorts do open up fro the http://crm/reports link fine. What is wrong, how can I fix this? Why did this change and how can I access reports using their http://crm/reportserver link? Finally foun...

An expression for dates from and to

copying text into XL & text to columns
Hi, I have a large text file that I'm wanting to convert to a table. I was hoping to simply paste it into Excel & then split the fields using Text to Columns. The problem I'm having is - when I paste the data in, instead of putting it all into one column (thus allowing me to use Text to Columns), it pastes it across 9 columns, with no actual logic to how the fields have been delimited compared to the original file. Is there any way I can force it to paste how I need it - into just one column. Any help greatly appreciated.......Regards, Jason Have you tried to open it...

Change Header of mail in outlook
Hello, Excuse for my very bad englis. I want to change the header of mail for grouping the mail in my outllook windows Somme mail are "Patric DES_DUB@xxx.com" another mails are "Patric DES DUB@xxx.com", another "DES DUB Patric@xxx.com" or "DES_DUB Patric@xxx.com" but it'a same personne. When Oulook group the mail by the sender, it finds four sender but it's the same. Ths is why, i want make some programm to change in a email objet the sender to have the same. Thank's ...

Returning only MAX(date) not all dates
I want to be able to list the most current date an item is checked out. As I was working through the query I used max as an aggregate function but I still can't get the simple result I want. I'd rather list the fields I have chosen and somehow select just the most current checkout date. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Here is my query: SELECT tblTerritory.TerritoryID, [TerritoryName] & " " & [TerritoryDescription] AS Description, tblTerritory.TerritoryTypeID, tblTerritoryType.TerritoryType, Max(tblTerritoryCheckout.DateCheckedOut) AS Checked...

System Date
Can anyone help me on how to force the system date to a member field of "Date" type? I could not find any help on msdn that comes with visual c++. Any hint or help will be appreciated. Thanks, Behrouzk Are you just trying to get the current date. You can use CTime::GetCurrentTime() or COleDateTime::GetCurrentTime() Tom "Behrouzk" <Behrouzk@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:D8FA4B6B-73CE-4058-B50C-C9BEBAB67E68@microsoft.com... > Can anyone help me on how to force the system date to a member field of > "Date" type? I could not fi...