date/time formatting

I download a csv report from a web based program.  Everything works great
but the date comes through as "Jul 21 2009 1:51pm". I do not need the time
in my report. I have tried reformatting the cells, tried to copy to a new
file with the cells already formatted to "7/21/09", opening the cell format
using the F2 key and deleting the time (time will still not be formatted
correctly). The only way I get get just the time is to retype every cell.
What am I doing wrong?

I am using Excel 2002 SP3

TIA,

Cindy

0
cconover1 (65)
8/3/2009 3:00:27 PM
excel 39879 articles. 2 followers. Follow

When data is downloaded from the web, a lot of "other" characters can "come
along for the ride", corrupting the data as XL recognizable.

You never know exactly what you're getting.

Try something like this, with date in A1:

=Text(A1,"mm/dd/yy")

OR

=Text(Date(year(A1),month(A1),Day(A1)),"mm/dd/yy")

Post back if these don't work.
--

HTH,

RD

"Cindy Conover" <cconover@kwnospamtrucklease.com> wrote in message
I download a csv report from a web based program.  Everything works great
but the date comes through as "Jul 21 2009 1:51pm". I do not need the time
in my report. I have tried reformatting the cells, tried to copy to a new
file with the cells already formatted to "7/21/09", opening the cell format
using the F2 key and deleting the time (time will still not be formatted
correctly). The only way I get get just the time is to retype every cell.
What am I doing wrong?

I am using Excel 2002 SP3

TIA,

Cindy

0
ragdyer1 (4060)
8/3/2009 3:48:20 PM
RD,

This first formula still has the time in the cell
The second one give me an #value error

Cindy

"RagDyeR" <ragdyer@cutoutmsn.com> wrote in message
> When data is downloaded from the web, a lot of "other" characters can
> "come
> along for the ride", corrupting the data as XL recognizable.
>
> You never know exactly what you're getting.
>
> Try something like this, with date in A1:
>
> =Text(A1,"mm/dd/yy")
>
> OR
>
> =Text(Date(year(A1),month(A1),Day(A1)),"mm/dd/yy")
>
> Post back if these don't work.
> --
>
> HTH,
>
> RD
>

> "Cindy Conover" <cconover@kwnospamtrucklease.com> wrote in message
> I download a csv report from a web based program.  Everything works great
> but the date comes through as "Jul 21 2009 1:51pm". I do not need the time
> in my report. I have tried reformatting the cells, tried to copy to a new
> file with the cells already formatted to "7/21/09", opening the cell
> format
> using the F2 key and deleting the time (time will still not be formatted
> correctly). The only way I get get just the time is to retype every cell.
> What am I doing wrong?
>
> I am using Excel 2002 SP3
>
> TIA,
>
> Cindy

0
cconover1 (65)
8/3/2009 5:52:55 PM
"Cindy Conover" <cconover@kwnospamtrucklease.com> wrote:
> the date comes through as "Jul 21 2009 1:51pm".
> I do not need the time in my report.

Try:

=--(LEFT(A1,6)&","&MID(A1,7,5))

formatted as Date.

I think you are saying that the cell has the text "Jul 21 2009 1:51pm".
Excel does not recognize that as date/time because of the missing comma
after 21 and the missing space before "pm".  So TEXT(A1,"mm/dd/yyyy") simply
returns the same string; and --TEXT(...) and DATE(YEAR(A1),...) return a
#VALUE error for the same reason.

The formula above not only returns a recognizable date string, but it also
converts it to a "serial number", the internal form of dates.  If you prefer
just the text, omit the "--" and redundant parentheses.  For that matter,
perhaps you want simply LEFT(A1,11).

Caveat emptor:  The formulas above assume that days of the month less than
10 are represented as, for example, "Jul  1".  Note the extra space before
the digit.  If that is not true for your situation, post back for a more
complicated, but viable solution.

>I download a csv report from a web based program.  Everything works great
>but the date comes through as "Jul 21 2009 1:51pm". I do not need the time
>in my report. I have tried reformatting the cells, tried to copy to a new
>file with the cells already formatted to "7/21/09", opening the cell format
>using the F2 key and deleting the time (time will still not be formatted
>correctly). The only way I get get just the time is to retype every cell.
>What am I doing wrong?
>
> I am using Excel 2002 SP3
>
> TIA,
>
> Cindy

0
joeu2004 (766)
8/3/2009 6:23:49 PM
Thank you so much that worked perfect.
RD thank you also for your help

Cindy

"JoeU2004" <joeu2004@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> "Cindy Conover" <cconover@kwnospamtrucklease.com> wrote:
>> the date comes through as "Jul 21 2009 1:51pm".
>> I do not need the time in my report.
>
> Try:
>
> =--(LEFT(A1,6)&","&MID(A1,7,5))
>
> formatted as Date.
>
> I think you are saying that the cell has the text "Jul 21 2009 1:51pm".
> Excel does not recognize that as date/time because of the missing comma
> after 21 and the missing space before "pm".  So TEXT(A1,"mm/dd/yyyy")
> simply returns the same string; and --TEXT(...) and DATE(YEAR(A1),...)
> return a #VALUE error for the same reason.
>
> The formula above not only returns a recognizable date string, but it also
> converts it to a "serial number", the internal form of dates.  If you
> prefer just the text, omit the "--" and redundant parentheses.  For that
> matter, perhaps you want simply LEFT(A1,11).
>
> Caveat emptor:  The formulas above assume that days of the month less than
> 10 are represented as, for example, "Jul  1".  Note the extra space before
> the digit.  If that is not true for your situation, post back for a more
> complicated, but viable solution.

0
cconover1 (65)

filter by date and action

House account limits, and another Run time error
I need unlimited $$ accounts for in house charges that are tender types, not for customers that we create for mailorders and such. These house charges are meant for other departments within our company. Ideas? Run time error '-2147467259(80004005)'. [DBNETLIB][connetionWrite (wrapperWrite()).] General newtork error. Check your network documentation. ---what could this mean??--- You'd want to be careful of accounting ramifications, but you can do this: 1. Set up a new account type, say "InHouse". (Database > Account Types > New -- settings within may not...

time cell Highlight
how do i make a time cell that is behind Real time of less than minutes be highlighted i know how to use conditional formating but i dont know how to inpu information in time ie: A1= Real time 17:35 B1=17:33 B2=17:25 B3=17:18 in this case i need cell B1 to be highlighted which is behing Real tim (A1) of less than 5 minutes............ -- Pivotren ----------------------------------------------------------------------- Pivotrend's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=406 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=27255 Hi u...

Transaction Date VS Business Date

How to do a conditional format for multi cells
Lets say based on a value in A5 I would like to change the text format for cells d5:g5 (four columns), what would be the best procedure to do this, can it be done using conditional format if each cell d5,e5,f5,g5 or is there another way. By that do I input a conditional format for each cell d5,e5,f5,g5 (if A5> "xx" then <format>. A big Thank You for all the help. dave Yes, highlight the four cells and apply your conditional format to them all. You will need to use $A$5 as the reference. Pete Hi Pete, This did not work for me. For the "value" I have =$...

Post Dated Checks

Run-time error for objects deletion
Hi, I have made a list of option button. When I select a particular option, the excel should identify and delete the previous object names starting with "onstrfr". However, when it identifies the correct obj name "onstrfr", the obj.Delete gives "Run-time error '1004': Application-defined or object-defined error". I'll be grateful if someone can help me to solve this problem. Loy === FROM Sheet1======= Private Sub on3wdgtrfroption_Click() Call Sheet2.Deleteonstrfr Call Sheet2.OnshoreTrfr(myValue, 2) End Sub ===From Sh...

how to save fixed format text file
I have an Excel file which is 269 characters wide. I need to save this file in fixed format but experience line wrap when using the PRN file type. Anyone have an answer to my problem? You might have to use a macro to get the result you want. See if Chip Pearson's text export macro does it: http://www.cpearson.com/excel/imptext.htm -- Jim Rech Excel MVP You have a few choices (try against a copy of your worksheet): I'd either concatenate the cell values into another column: =LEFT(A1&REPT(" ",20),20) & LEFT(B1&REPT(" ",10),10) & TEXT(C1,&...

strange date format problem

How to sort by name then date?

Comment print format
Hello, I am trying to change the text that says Cell: Comment: when I print my Comments at the end of my form. Is this text embedded by Microsoft? Thanks, Bob Hi Bob have a look at this thread http://tinyurl.com/3xq6h Frank GT40 wrote: > Hello, > I am trying to change the text that says Cell: Comment: > when I print my Comments at the end of my form. Is this > text embedded by Microsoft? > Thanks, > Bob Frank OP wants the printed comments to not show the Cell:A1 Comment:whatever The codes at your URL just change the on-sheet comment format, but the printed ...

if statement with dates #2

Counting Dates?

An expression for dates from and to

An uneven time-increment
Dear all, If in a spreadsheet you have years 1985, 1986, 1987, 1988, 1989, 1990, 2050 with associated data for each year, how do you produce a line graph of this without 2050 being positioned at the same interval on the x-axis as the difference between the other years? To clarify, because the difference between 2050 and 1990 is greater than the difference between the previous years (all 1), how do get Excel to represent this on the x-axis of a line graph? Thanks for your help, Steve -- smurray444 ------------------------------------------------------------------------ smurray444's Pr...

Returning only MAX(date) not all dates
I want to be able to list the most current date an item is checked out. As I was working through the query I used max as an aggregate function but I still can't get the simple result I want. I'd rather list the fields I have chosen and somehow select just the most current checkout date. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Here is my query: SELECT tblTerritory.TerritoryID, [TerritoryName] & " " & [TerritoryDescription] AS Description, tblTerritory.TerritoryTypeID, tblTerritoryType.TerritoryType, Max(tblTerritoryCheckout.DateCheckedOut) AS Checked...

System Date
Can anyone help me on how to force the system date to a member field of "Date" type? I could not find any help on msdn that comes with visual c++. Any hint or help will be appreciated. Thanks, Behrouzk Are you just trying to get the current date. You can use CTime::GetCurrentTime() or COleDateTime::GetCurrentTime() Tom "Behrouzk" <Behrouzk@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:D8FA4B6B-73CE-4058-B50C-C9BEBAB67E68@microsoft.com... > Can anyone help me on how to force the system date to a member field of > "Date" type? I could not fi...

Conditional Formatting
Hi, I have a spreadsheet that is for tracking work. I would like to have conditional formatting so that if the date in column E is between todays date and 4 weeks away then make it blue, if it is a date that is after 4 weeks away then make it yellow but if it is in the past make it red. Can this be done with conditional formatting or does it need vba? Also it would be nice if the whole row changes colour even if just the condition is on the date which is in column E - but if that can't be done then just the cell is fine. Thanks Assume the dates start in E2, select all dates w...

OutLook Clinet screw up mail format after promoted to CRM
Hi, If we use "CRM outlook client for SALES"to promote a normal e-mail to CRM activity, all carriage return will get lost and content jam together in that CRM e-mail. Are there anybody experienced this before, How could we solve this problem. Thank you very much. Regards, Raymond .. Raymond, I've been promoting emails for months. Haven't run into this problem with Inbox email or Sent Items email. Jared "Raymond" <xin421@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:bef001c3ecc7$805c1030$a501280a@phx.gbl... > Hi, > > If we use "CRM outlook client ...

Hook at print time. Hook #1
I have a hook running a print time. The problem I am having is my hook needs to have the transaction saved first before the hook runs and the only time I can see that happening before printing is the before print hook #1. The problem I am having is the hook is supposed to update the transaction just updated and then print and the XML receipt file is supposed to use some of the information just saved. It seems that even though this hook is supposed to be before print time that it is actually formulating the XML file and getting the receipt ready before the hook is ran. Does anyone ...

Help! I don't know how to do a time series graph with Excel 2007!
Hello all! I am taking a statistics course this semester and I have learned how computer illiterate I am in regards to using Excel! I have to make a time series graph; in column A I put ages 1-14, and in column B I put in average heights for each age in inches. My problem is when I go to "Insert" and do "line chart", all the charts have 2 lines and I have no idea how to get all the data on one line. My teacher gave me step by step instructions but it was for the Excel 2003 program and I have Excel 2007 which is totally different. Any help would be appreciated!! Pam O...