Date-Time Calculations

I need to create a little spreadsheet to calculate dates for drug
tests.

The two inputs are (1) the date & time when the test was taken and (2)
the time period that the test covers. The output is the date when the
test coverage starts.

That's simple except that the units vary. Some tests are good for
hours and others for days. One test can detect alcohol usage for 80
hours. Another can detect drug use for 90 days.

If the test duration units are hours, something like this will work:

        A                        B                           C   D   E
1   7/08/08 9:15 am    Timestamp when test was taken
2                80    Test duration (hours)
3   5/05/08 1:15 am    Timestamp when test coverage begins

A1 & A3 are formatted as date & time.

The formula in A3 is "=B3-(B4/24)".

I would appreciate suggestions for a way to put a value in A2 that can
be in hours or days and maybe in months.

My alternative would be to create two tables in the same spreadsheet:
one for hours and one for days.

Thanks
excel 39879 articles. 2 followers. Follow

On Mon, 14 Jul 2008 10:57:56 -0700, Three Lefts
<spamtrap@spamtrap.invalid> wrote:

>I need to create a little spreadsheet to calculate dates for drug
>tests.
>
>The two inputs are (1) the date & time when the test was taken and (2)
>the time period that the test covers. The output is the date when the
>test coverage starts.
>
>That's simple except that the units vary. Some tests are good for
>hours and others for days. One test can detect alcohol usage for 80
>hours. Another can detect drug use for 90 days.
>
>If the test duration units are hours, something like this will work:
>
>        A                        B                           C   D   E
>1   7/08/08 9:15 am    Timestamp when test was taken
>2                80    Test duration (hours)
>3   5/05/08 1:15 am    Timestamp when test coverage begins
>
>A1 & A3 are formatted as date & time.
>
>The formula in A3 is "=B3-(B4/24)".
>
>I would appreciate suggestions for a way to put a value in A2 that can
>be in hours or days and maybe in months.
>
>My alternative would be to create two tables in the same spreadsheet:
>one for hours and one for days.
>
>Thanks

After a bit of experimenting, I came up with a nested IF statement to
handle hours and days:

  =IF(C6="Hours",B6/24,IF(C6="Days",B6,"Invalid"))

I have the value in B6 and the units in C6.

This formula is in B7 and converts the B6 value to days.

If I want to add months, I can add one more level of nested IFs.

It seems to work. It does require that I spell Hours and Days
correctly.

Is there a better way?

Is there an easy way to turn C6 into some sort of lookup cell that
will only accept certain values (like a lookup field in Access) and
then assign a corresponding value to the cell?

I could then define 2 values: Hours (=1/24) and Days (=1).
If you used LOWER(LEFT(C6,1)) as your comparator then you would only
need to check for "h" (hours), "d" (days), "m" (months) etc, so it
would not matter if you entered hrs, hours, Hours, HOURS, hour etc.

If you want to restrict the user to a pre-set list of acceptable
values, then use Data | Validation on the cell. Here's a good
reference source:

Hope this helps.

Pete

On Jul 14, 8:22=A0pm, Three Lefts <spamt...@spamtrap.invalid> wrote:
> On Mon, 14 Jul 2008 10:57:56 -0700, Three Lefts
>

> <spamt...@spamtrap.invalid> wrote:
> >I need to create a little spreadsheet to calculate dates for drug
> >tests.
>
> >The two inputs are (1) the date & time when the test was taken and (2)
> >the time period that the test covers. The output is the date when the
> >test coverage starts.
>
> >That's simple except that the units vary. Some tests are good for
> >hours and others for days. One test can detect alcohol usage for 80
> >hours. Another can detect drug use for 90 days.
>
> >If the test duration units are hours, something like this will work:
>
> > =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0A =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0B =A0 =
=A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 C =A0 D =A0 E
> >1 =A0 7/08/08 9:15 am =A0 =A0Timestamp when test was taken
> >2 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A080 =A0 =A0Test duration (hours)
> >3 =A0 5/05/08 1:15 am =A0 =A0Timestamp when test coverage begins
>
> >A1 & A3 are formatted as date & time.
>
> >The formula in A3 is "=3DB3-(B4/24)".
>
> >I would appreciate suggestions for a way to put a value in A2 that can
> >be in hours or days and maybe in months.
>
> >My alternative would be to create two tables in the same spreadsheet:
> >one for hours and one for days.
>
> >Thanks
>
> After a bit of experimenting, I came up with a nested IF statement to
> handle hours and days:
>
> =A0 =3DIF(C6=3D"Hours",B6/24,IF(C6=3D"Days",B6,"Invalid"))
>
> I have the value in B6 and the units in C6.
>
> This formula is in B7 and converts the B6 value to days.
>
> If I want to add months, I can add one more level of nested IFs.
>
> It seems to work. It does require that I spell Hours and Days
> correctly.
>
> Is there a better way?
>
> Is there an easy way to turn C6 into some sort of lookup cell that
> will only accept certain values (like a lookup field in Access) and
> then assign a corresponding value to the cell?
>
> I could then define 2 values: Hours (=3D1/24) and Days (=3D1).- Hide quot=
ed text -

pashurst (2576)
7/14/2008 8:52:49 PM
On Mon, 14 Jul 2008 13:52:49 -0700 (PDT), Pete_UK
<pashurst@auditel.net> wrote:

>If you used LOWER(LEFT(C6,1)) as your comparator then you would only
>need to check for "h" (hours), "d" (days), "m" (months) etc, so it
>would not matter if you entered hrs, hours, Hours, HOURS, hour etc.
>
>If you want to restrict the user to a pre-set list of acceptable
>values, then use Data | Validation on the cell. Here's a good
>reference source:
>
>http://www.contextures.com/xlDataVal01.html

Thanks for the tip & the link.

Do you know why the data validation feature requires a range
specification for numeric data? It seems to me that it would be useful
to be able to limit a cell to any whole number. That is, in addition
to the current options (between, not between, greater than, etc.), I
would think that "Any" would be a useful option.
You could use Custom with a formula of

=IF(ISNUMBER(G1),IF(G1=INT(G1),TRUE))

where G1 is the DV cell

--
__________________________________
HTH

Bob

"Three Lefts" <spamtrap@spamtrap.invalid> wrote in message
> On Mon, 14 Jul 2008 13:52:49 -0700 (PDT), Pete_UK
> <pashurst@auditel.net> wrote:
>
>>If you used LOWER(LEFT(C6,1)) as your comparator then you would only
>>need to check for "h" (hours), "d" (days), "m" (months) etc, so it
>>would not matter if you entered hrs, hours, Hours, HOURS, hour etc.
>>
>>If you want to restrict the user to a pre-set list of acceptable
>>values, then use Data | Validation on the cell. Here's a good
>>reference source:
>>
>>http://www.contextures.com/xlDataVal01.html
>
> Thanks for the tip & the link.
>
> Do you know why the data validation feature requires a range
> specification for numeric data? It seems to me that it would be useful
> to be able to limit a cell to any whole number. That is, in addition
> to the current options (between, not between, greater than, etc.), I
> would think that "Any" would be a useful option.

0
BobNGs (423)

filter by date and action

House account limits, and another Run time error
I need unlimited $$ accounts for in house charges that are tender types, not for customers that we create for mailorders and such. These house charges are meant for other departments within our company. Ideas? Run time error '-2147467259(80004005)'. [DBNETLIB][connetionWrite (wrapperWrite()).] General newtork error. Check your network documentation. ---what could this mean??--- You'd want to be careful of accounting ramifications, but you can do this: 1. Set up a new account type, say "InHouse". (Database > Account Types > New -- settings within may not...

time cell Highlight
how do i make a time cell that is behind Real time of less than minutes be highlighted i know how to use conditional formating but i dont know how to inpu information in time ie: A1= Real time 17:35 B1=17:33 B2=17:25 B3=17:18 in this case i need cell B1 to be highlighted which is behing Real tim (A1) of less than 5 minutes............ -- Pivotren ----------------------------------------------------------------------- Pivotrend's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=406 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=27255 Hi u...

Formula displays does not calculate
Hello: I just typed a formula in a cell and it displays =A4+J13 (the same formula calculates fine in a different cell), instead of claculating the value. Both A4 and J13 contain numeric data. I try Ctrl+~ to toggle and chk if full formula mode was ON? but that did not help either. I also tried looking for feedback through the formula evaluation utility in Excel, no help there either, it says cell being evaluated contains a constant? Your help is appreciated Hi Neil, Perhaps the cell is formatted as text? --- Regards, Norman "Neil Bhandar" <Neil Bhandar@discussions.mic...

Transaction Date VS Business Date

Calculate Column
Word 2007 I have a very simple chart in Word and I would like to make the last cell calculate the total of the above cells, as you can in Excel. To make the calculation Just insert the sum formula in the last cell of your chart. You should be able to access the "sum" button on the toolbar if you are working in charts. If it is a table that you're working with just click on the last cell, select "Table" and then select "formula." "Canon" wrote: > Word 2007 > I have a very simple chart in Word and I would like to make the last c...

Post Dated Checks

Calculated Fields 04-18-07
We're helping someone with a relatively basic requirement for CRM, but they've thrown two awkward ones into the mix. The first of which is a desire to use some custom fields on an entity which are then automatically totalled. e.g. when they do a quote each item on the quote (free entry) has a custom field for the cost to the organisation of providing the service. On the main quote screen/report they need these to be totalled, in the same way that the built-in sell-price fields are. Is this possible without reaching for Visual Studio? I've had a look through a pile of...

Run-time error for objects deletion
Hi, I have made a list of option button. When I select a particular option, the excel should identify and delete the previous object names starting with "onstrfr". However, when it identifies the correct obj name "onstrfr", the obj.Delete gives "Run-time error '1004': Application-defined or object-defined error". I'll be grateful if someone can help me to solve this problem. Loy === FROM Sheet1======= Private Sub on3wdgtrfroption_Click() Call Sheet2.Deleteonstrfr Call Sheet2.OnshoreTrfr(myValue, 2) End Sub ===From Sh...

strange date format problem

How to sort by name then date?

if statement with dates #2

Counting Dates?

An expression for dates from and to

An uneven time-increment
Dear all, If in a spreadsheet you have years 1985, 1986, 1987, 1988, 1989, 1990, 2050 with associated data for each year, how do you produce a line graph of this without 2050 being positioned at the same interval on the x-axis as the difference between the other years? To clarify, because the difference between 2050 and 1990 is greater than the difference between the previous years (all 1), how do get Excel to represent this on the x-axis of a line graph? Thanks for your help, Steve -- smurray444 ------------------------------------------------------------------------ smurray444's Pr...

How do you calculate interest expense on bonds?
Using Excel office on XP. Issued $1mill of 11% 20 year bonds, issued 4-1-04 and paying interest on a yearly bases on 3-31. Need to calculate interest expense for fiscal year ended 9-30-04 assuming a premium of $80,000 amoritized on a streight line bases. Hi, Try having a look at the =PRICE function in help. If this isn't exactly what you need then it should point you in the right direction. HTH, David Jessop "Sprout" wrote: > Using Excel office on XP. Issued $1mill of 11% 20 year bonds, issued 4-1-04 > and paying interest on a yearly bases on 3-31. Need to ...

Returning only MAX(date) not all dates
I want to be able to list the most current date an item is checked out. As I was working through the query I used max as an aggregate function but I still can't get the simple result I want. I'd rather list the fields I have chosen and somehow select just the most current checkout date. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Here is my query: SELECT tblTerritory.TerritoryID, [TerritoryName] & " " & [TerritoryDescription] AS Description, tblTerritory.TerritoryTypeID, tblTerritoryType.TerritoryType, Max(tblTerritoryCheckout.DateCheckedOut) AS Checked...

How is your intrect calculated on this loan
I am setting up my Mortgage loan on MS-Money 2003 and this question has come up with only three options. My interest in calculated on the 1st of every month not any of these options. Is there any way I can do this as all my figures keep calculating wrong using the options given. "Based on date payment is due" should work for you, unless the due date is different than the first of the month. -- Will you sponsor me in the Tour de Cure? http://main.diabetes.org/site/TR?pg=personal&fr_id=1058&px=1626087 "Charles" <cennor@optusnet.com.au> wrote in message ...

System Date
Can anyone help me on how to force the system date to a member field of "Date" type? I could not find any help on msdn that comes with visual c++. Any hint or help will be appreciated. Thanks, Behrouzk Are you just trying to get the current date. You can use CTime::GetCurrentTime() or COleDateTime::GetCurrentTime() Tom "Behrouzk" <Behrouzk@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:D8FA4B6B-73CE-4058-B50C-C9BEBAB67E68@microsoft.com... > Can anyone help me on how to force the system date to a member field of > "Date" type? I could not fi...

Conditional Formatting
Hi, I have a spreadsheet that is for tracking work. I would like to have conditional formatting so that if the date in column E is between todays date and 4 weeks away then make it blue, if it is a date that is after 4 weeks away then make it yellow but if it is in the past make it red. Can this be done with conditional formatting or does it need vba? Also it would be nice if the whole row changes colour even if just the condition is on the date which is in column E - but if that can't be done then just the cell is fine. Thanks Assume the dates start in E2, select all dates w...

Hook at print time. Hook #1
I have a hook running a print time. The problem I am having is my hook needs to have the transaction saved first before the hook runs and the only time I can see that happening before printing is the before print hook #1. The problem I am having is the hook is supposed to update the transaction just updated and then print and the XML receipt file is supposed to use some of the information just saved. It seems that even though this hook is supposed to be before print time that it is actually formulating the XML file and getting the receipt ready before the hook is ran. Does anyone ...