Date-orientated update of cells in different spreadsheets

Dear Excel experts!

Hope I am right here...

 I would like to create a customer-orientated & task daily checklist.
Basically, I want to have a single spreadsheet (spreadsheet1) and worksheet
(worksheet1) with customer names along the left (1 per row) and tasks along
the top (1 per column) which I update on a daily basis. Once the task has
been performed for a customer, a value will be written in the appropriate
field i.e. for customer1, the task1 result "passed" would be typed into B2,
however, for customer2, task1 might have "failed" which would be typed into
C2.

I would then like this value "passed" or "failed" (or other value) input
automatically written to another customer-oriented speadsheet
(speadsheet_cust1). This value needs to be written in the correct
spreadsheet (determined by the name of the customer in spreadsheet1) and
appropriate date-orientated field depending on the day & month the task was
actually performed in the original worksheet.

If this can be done, I can quickly fill out a daily checklist, the results
of which are automatically written to their respective
customer-spreadsheets, which I could open to see the results of tasks on a
daily / monthly basis. For this 'destination' customer-orientated
spreadsheet, my thoughts were a new spreadsheet per customer (named
spreadsheet_cust1, spreadsheet_cust2...) and separate worksheets per month
(worksheet_jan, worksheet_feb...), with days of the month along the left (1
day per row) and task along the top (1 per column).

Finally, I don't mind if the original checklist spreadsheet1 requires input
for the month (i.e. value 10 for October) and day (value 12 for the 12th) -
if this is automatic, even better. From these values, perhaps the correct
customer speadsheet's worksheet cell position could be determined?

Is this possible and do I make any sense at all? I am new to Excel and have
little function or programming experience - go easy on me! Thanks for your
comments or tips...

0
buckie (2)
10/12/2005 1:16:36 PM
excel 39879 articles. 2 followers. Follow

Excel is for wimps.

use a database for this project.

0
aaron.kempf (776)
10/12/2005 3:13:35 PM
buckie,

Do yourself a favor, and use a database (within Excel). Set up the database
on a single sheet with four columns, headed as:

Date
Customer Name
Task
Status

Enter your data points by filling out one row per data point. Then you can
use autofilter to show the data by day, month, year, customer, task, or
status, etc... simply by using different filters.

You could use data validation on the Customer Name, task, and status fields,
and that would make you life a whole lot easier.

If you have any questions, post back.

HTH,
Bernie
MS Excel MVP

"omb" <buckie@eversys.de> wrote in message
> Dear Excel experts!
>
> Hope I am right here...
>
> I would like to create a customer-orientated & task daily checklist.
> Basically, I want to have a single spreadsheet (spreadsheet1) and
> worksheet (worksheet1) with customer names along the left (1 per row) and
> tasks along the top (1 per column) which I update on a daily basis. Once
> the task has been performed for a customer, a value will be written in the
> appropriate field i.e. for customer1, the task1 result "passed" would be
> typed into B2, however, for customer2, task1 might have "failed" which
> would be typed into C2.
>
> I would then like this value "passed" or "failed" (or other value) input
> automatically written to another customer-oriented speadsheet
> (speadsheet_cust1). This value needs to be written in the correct
> spreadsheet (determined by the name of the customer in spreadsheet1) and
> appropriate date-orientated field depending on the day & month the task
> was actually performed in the original worksheet.
>
> If this can be done, I can quickly fill out a daily checklist, the results
> of which are automatically written to their respective
> customer-spreadsheets, which I could open to see the results of tasks on a
> daily / monthly basis. For this 'destination' customer-orientated
> spreadsheet, my thoughts were a new spreadsheet per customer (named
> spreadsheet_cust1, spreadsheet_cust2...) and separate worksheets per month
> (worksheet_jan, worksheet_feb...), with days of the month along the left
> (1 day per row) and task along the top (1 per column).
>
> Finally, I don't mind if the original checklist spreadsheet1 requires
> input for the month (i.e. value 10 for October) and day (value 12 for the
> 12th) - if this is automatic, even better. From these values, perhaps the
> correct customer speadsheet's worksheet cell position could be determined?
>
> Is this possible and do I make any sense at all? I am new to Excel and
> have little function or programming experience - go easy on me! Thanks for
> your comments or tips...

0
Bernie
10/12/2005 7:39:54 PM
listen fucknut

excel isn't a database; it shouldn't ever be used for reporting on
database information.

there are better tools for that.

since 95% of VB applications consume information out of a database; I
have decided to help to inform you that Excel is a dead-end street..
Learn ACCESS

little script kiddie shit

0
aaron.kempf (776)

filter by date and action

time cell Highlight
how do i make a time cell that is behind Real time of less than minutes be highlighted i know how to use conditional formating but i dont know how to inpu information in time ie: A1= Real time 17:35 B1=17:33 B2=17:25 B3=17:18 in this case i need cell B1 to be highlighted which is behing Real tim (A1) of less than 5 minutes............ -- Pivotren ----------------------------------------------------------------------- Pivotrend's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=406 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=27255 Hi u...

Transaction Date VS Business Date

LF displays as square box in cell
I have some cells with text where the LF (line feed) displays as a square box. Searching the web for this scenario suggests that turning on Word Wrap should eliminate this display but it does not in my case. Also, not all LFs in the cell display as a square box and one of my co- workers does not see the behaviour when he opens the file on his PC (another co-worker does see the problem). The text has been downloaded from a SQL query and I'm using Excel 2007/ WinXP. Any suggestions on how to clean up the view of the cells with this text? On Thu, 17 Feb 2011 08:20:38 -0800 (PST), John <...

Post Dated Checks

truncating data within a cell for an entire column
Hi, I have a numeric value in a cell that is followed by a space and then three alphanumeric characters e.g., -24 dBm. How can I delete the alphanumeric chracters and preserve the nummeric charaters so that I can apply the average function to the entire column? Thanks, vlapi vlapi wrote: > Hi, > I have a numeric value in a cell that is followed by a space and then three > alphanumeric characters e.g., -24 dBm. How can I delete the alphanumeric > chracters and preserve the nummeric charaters so that I can apply the average > function to the entire column? > Thanks, >...

How to do a conditional format for multi cells
Lets say based on a value in A5 I would like to change the text format for cells d5:g5 (four columns), what would be the best procedure to do this, can it be done using conditional format if each cell d5,e5,f5,g5 or is there another way. By that do I input a conditional format for each cell d5,e5,f5,g5 (if A5> "xx" then <format>. A big Thank You for all the help. dave Yes, highlight the four cells and apply your conditional format to them all. You will need to use $A$5 as the reference. Pete Hi Pete, This did not work for me. For the "value" I have =$...

Navigating to Referenced Cell
I run Excel 2002 with SP-2. I finally discovered how to move to a referenced cell ( Control +[ ). I saw somebody else do it with a simple double click of a cell that had a reference in it. Mine, however, doesn't work that way (is there a way to make the double click method work?). The real question is this: After I get to a referenced cell with Control +[ is there a way to QUICKLY get back to where I started? Jeannine I'm surprised you didn't try the obvious: <Ctrl> <]> BTW, double click should work if you; <Tools> <Options> *UNCHECK* "Edit Di...

strange date format problem

Rename tab on cell event
Looking for code that would simply, on the fly, depending what was entered in a cell at anytime, any amount of times, the tab name would be renamed to what the cell contents are. I have seen some pretty elaborate ways of renaming tabs. I am new at Excel and any help would be appreciated. Thanks! Hi, Right click your sheet tab, view code and paste this in then every tiome A1 is changed to a 'legal' worksheet name the sheet will be renamed. Private Sub Worksheet_Change(ByVal Target As Range) On Error GoTo enditall ActiveSheet.Name = Range("A1").Value enditall: End Sub ...

How to sort by name then date?

Excel 2003 - VBA
How do I check a cell to see if there is a #N/A or #REF in a VBA routine? Craig Use the IsError() function with a cell reference inside the parentheses, such as IsError(Range("A1")) Cell Error Values You can insert a cell error value into a cell or test the value of a cell for an error value by using the CVErr function. The cell error values can be one of the following XlCVError constants. Constant Error number Cell error value xlErrDiv0 2007 #DIV/0! xlErrNA 2042 #N/A xlErrName 2029 #NAME? xlErrNull 2000 #NULL! xlErrNum 2036 #NUM! xlE...

Downloading windows updates
I am trying to download windows updates. Initially it asked me to download Active X Control which I did, but then didn't proceed to enable me to download windows updates. Whenever I go to the windows update page again, it asks me to download Active X Control by clicking on the information bar, but there is no longer an information bar. I also do not get an error message. How do I download the latest windows update now? golucky8 wrote: > I am trying to download windows updates. Initially it asked me to > download Active X Control which I did, but then didn't proc...

Display The Cell Of The Maximum Value.
DISPLAY THE CELL OF THE MAXIMUM VALUE. Hi again. I have values in a2, b2, c2. i want d2 to display the value of the highest cell out of a2, b2 or c2 e.g a2=10, b2=15, c2=99 -> d2=99 a2=80, b2=1, c2=1 -> d2=8 -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com One way: D2: =MAX(A2:C2) In article <sokevin.1942t6@excelforum-nospam.com>, sokevin <<sokevin.1942t6@excelforum-nospam.com>> wrote: > DISPLAY THE CELL OF THE MAXIMUM VALUE. > > > Hi again. > > I have values in > > > a2, b2, c2. > > > i want d2 to displa...

if statement with dates #2

Counting Dates?

An expression for dates from and to

updating a reg_binary registry value
I can update a string in the registry. But Im in a situation where I have to take a string, convert it to a byte[], and update a reg_binary in the registry, and so far my research and testing have been pretty frustrating. What is the simplest/most effect way to convert the string to a byte, and can I just use the SetValue to make the update, like I do with the string registry data type? Any help would be appreciated!. ...

Returning only MAX(date) not all dates
I want to be able to list the most current date an item is checked out. As I was working through the query I used max as an aggregate function but I still can't get the simple result I want. I'd rather list the fields I have chosen and somehow select just the most current checkout date. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Here is my query: SELECT tblTerritory.TerritoryID, [TerritoryName] & " " & [TerritoryDescription] AS Description, tblTerritory.TerritoryTypeID, tblTerritoryType.TerritoryType, Max(tblTerritoryCheckout.DateCheckedOut) AS Checked...

System Date
Can anyone help me on how to force the system date to a member field of "Date" type? I could not find any help on msdn that comes with visual c++. Any hint or help will be appreciated. Thanks, Behrouzk Are you just trying to get the current date. You can use CTime::GetCurrentTime() or COleDateTime::GetCurrentTime() Tom "Behrouzk" <Behrouzk@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:D8FA4B6B-73CE-4058-B50C-C9BEBAB67E68@microsoft.com... > Can anyone help me on how to force the system date to a member field of > "Date" type? I could not fi...

Dexterity: "Errors while resolving the Index file. Update Cancel..
Using Microsoft VisualSafe 6.0 for source code control. I am upgrading from GP 9.0 to GP 10.0 and also the Dexterity 9.0 to Dexterity 10.0. I have setup the source control correctly and am trying to pull from the repository to the new GP 10.0 dictionary to develope. But I am getting a "Errors while resolving the Index file. Update canceled. Dictionary left unchanged." Also about a dozen warning on these new 3rd party global procedures and functions that the GP dictionary now has. Please advise on how to fix this and why are these globals resource ID are 22000+? First time u...