Date format changes

Every so often the date format for all open worksheets are changed from yyyy 
to yy for no apparent reason.  This can be resolved by closing down and 
re-starting Excel so it's no worse than an irritation.

Does anyone know why this should happen please?

Regards.

Bill Ridgeway 


0
Bill
4/2/2008 3:19:08 PM
excel 39879 articles. 2 followers. Follow

5 Replies
525 Views

Similar Articles

[PageSpeed] 49

I'm not sure why restarting excel would help, but there are some date formats
that are picked up from the user's short date format.

If you look at:
format|cells|number tab|Date category, you'll see some types that are preceded
with an asterisk.

When you click on one of those types, you'll see this at the bottom of the
dialog (at least in xl2003):

Date formats display date and time serial numbers as date values.  Except for
items that have an asterisk (*), applied formats do not switch date orders with
the operating system.

This really doesn't explain why the displayed format would change just by
restarting excel, though.  Maybe there's more going on????

Bill Ridgeway wrote:
> 
> Every so often the date format for all open worksheets are changed from yyyy
> to yy for no apparent reason.  This can be resolved by closing down and
> re-starting Excel so it's no worse than an irritation.
> 
> Does anyone know why this should happen please?
> 
> Regards.
> 
> Bill Ridgeway

-- 

Dave Peterson
0
petersod (12004)
4/2/2008 4:27:37 PM
No, it's not that.  As I said, every so often the date format for all open 
worksheets are changed from yyyy to yy for no apparent reason.  I'll just be 
working away and , hey presto, the date format changes!  The date format in 
Control Panel is OK and has not been changed / does not change, just the 
date format in open files.  (I've not tried to open another file to see what 
happens but I suspect it would be in the short format).  Closing down and 
re-starting Excel resolves the issue.  It is just an inconvenience when it 
happens that I would like to know, if possible, the cause so it can be 
stopped.

Thanks.

Bill Ridgeway

"Dave Peterson" <petersod@verizonXSPAM.net> wrote in message 
news:47F3B3F9.65E92B0C@verizonXSPAM.net...
> I'm not sure why restarting excel would help, but there are some date 
> formats
> that are picked up from the user's short date format.
>
> If you look at:
> format|cells|number tab|Date category, you'll see some types that are 
> preceded
> with an asterisk.
>
> When you click on one of those types, you'll see this at the bottom of the
> dialog (at least in xl2003):
>
> Date formats display date and time serial numbers as date values.  Except 
> for
> items that have an asterisk (*), applied formats do not switch date orders 
> with
> the operating system.
>
> This really doesn't explain why the displayed format would change just by
> restarting excel, though.  Maybe there's more going on????
>
> Bill Ridgeway wrote:
>>
>> Every so often the date format for all open worksheets are changed from 
>> yyyy
>> to yy for no apparent reason.  This can be resolved by closing down and
>> re-starting Excel so it's no worse than an irritation.
>>
>> Does anyone know why this should happen please?
>>
>> Regards.
>>
>> Bill Ridgeway
>
> -- 
>
> Dave Peterson 


0
Bill
4/3/2008 8:04:25 AM
I don't have another guess.

Good luck.

Bill Ridgeway wrote:
> 
> No, it's not that.  As I said, every so often the date format for all open
> worksheets are changed from yyyy to yy for no apparent reason.  I'll just be
> working away and , hey presto, the date format changes!  The date format in
> Control Panel is OK and has not been changed / does not change, just the
> date format in open files.  (I've not tried to open another file to see what
> happens but I suspect it would be in the short format).  Closing down and
> re-starting Excel resolves the issue.  It is just an inconvenience when it
> happens that I would like to know, if possible, the cause so it can be
> stopped.
> 
> Thanks.
> 
> Bill Ridgeway
> 
> "Dave Peterson" <petersod@verizonXSPAM.net> wrote in message
> news:47F3B3F9.65E92B0C@verizonXSPAM.net...
> > I'm not sure why restarting excel would help, but there are some date
> > formats
> > that are picked up from the user's short date format.
> >
> > If you look at:
> > format|cells|number tab|Date category, you'll see some types that are
> > preceded
> > with an asterisk.
> >
> > When you click on one of those types, you'll see this at the bottom of the
> > dialog (at least in xl2003):
> >
> > Date formats display date and time serial numbers as date values.  Except
> > for
> > items that have an asterisk (*), applied formats do not switch date orders
> > with
> > the operating system.
> >
> > This really doesn't explain why the displayed format would change just by
> > restarting excel, though.  Maybe there's more going on????
> >
> > Bill Ridgeway wrote:
> >>
> >> Every so often the date format for all open worksheets are changed from
> >> yyyy
> >> to yy for no apparent reason.  This can be resolved by closing down and
> >> re-starting Excel so it's no worse than an irritation.
> >>
> >> Does anyone know why this should happen please?
> >>
> >> Regards.
> >>
> >> Bill Ridgeway
> >
> > --
> >
> > Dave Peterson

-- 

Dave Peterson
0
petersod (12004)
4/3/2008 11:31:39 AM
Thanks Dave,

Working on the reasoning that a computer will only do (exactly) what it is 
told to do there must be a reason for this (or any) weird action.  It does 
not have a mind of its own (despite what we may think).  This is probably 
best put down to 'just one of those unexplainable things that happen'.

Regards.

Bill Ridgeway
"Dave Peterson" <petersod@verizonXSPAM.net> wrote in message 
news:47F4C01B.ECDFE730@verizonXSPAM.net...
>I don't have another guess.
>
> Good luck.
>
> Bill Ridgeway wrote:
>>
>> No, it's not that.  As I said, every so often the date format for all 
>> open
>> worksheets are changed from yyyy to yy for no apparent reason.  I'll just 
>> be
>> working away and , hey presto, the date format changes!  The date format 
>> in
>> Control Panel is OK and has not been changed / does not change, just the
>> date format in open files.  (I've not tried to open another file to see 
>> what
>> happens but I suspect it would be in the short format).  Closing down and
>> re-starting Excel resolves the issue.  It is just an inconvenience when 
>> it
>> happens that I would like to know, if possible, the cause so it can be
>> stopped.
>>
>> Thanks.
>>
>> Bill Ridgeway
>>
>> "Dave Peterson" <petersod@verizonXSPAM.net> wrote in message
>> news:47F3B3F9.65E92B0C@verizonXSPAM.net...
>> > I'm not sure why restarting excel would help, but there are some date
>> > formats
>> > that are picked up from the user's short date format.
>> >
>> > If you look at:
>> > format|cells|number tab|Date category, you'll see some types that are
>> > preceded
>> > with an asterisk.
>> >
>> > When you click on one of those types, you'll see this at the bottom of 
>> > the
>> > dialog (at least in xl2003):
>> >
>> > Date formats display date and time serial numbers as date values. 
>> > Except
>> > for
>> > items that have an asterisk (*), applied formats do not switch date 
>> > orders
>> > with
>> > the operating system.
>> >
>> > This really doesn't explain why the displayed format would change just 
>> > by
>> > restarting excel, though.  Maybe there's more going on????
>> >
>> > Bill Ridgeway wrote:
>> >>
>> >> Every so often the date format for all open worksheets are changed 
>> >> from
>> >> yyyy
>> >> to yy for no apparent reason.  This can be resolved by closing down 
>> >> and
>> >> re-starting Excel so it's no worse than an irritation.
>> >>
>> >> Does anyone know why this should happen please?
>> >>
>> >> Regards.
>> >>
>> >> Bill Ridgeway
>> >
>> > --
>> >
>> > Dave Peterson
>
> -- 
>
> Dave Peterson 


0
Bill
4/3/2008 4:41:44 PM
And that works??? <vbg>

Bill Ridgeway wrote:
> 
> Thanks Dave,
> 
> Working on the reasoning that a computer will only do (exactly) what it is
> told to do there must be a reason for this (or any) weird action.  It does
> not have a mind of its own (despite what we may think).  This is probably
> best put down to 'just one of those unexplainable things that happen'.
> 
> Regards.
> 
> Bill Ridgeway
> "Dave Peterson" <petersod@verizonXSPAM.net> wrote in message
> news:47F4C01B.ECDFE730@verizonXSPAM.net...
> >I don't have another guess.
> >
> > Good luck.
> >
> > Bill Ridgeway wrote:
> >>
> >> No, it's not that.  As I said, every so often the date format for all
> >> open
> >> worksheets are changed from yyyy to yy for no apparent reason.  I'll just
> >> be
> >> working away and , hey presto, the date format changes!  The date format
> >> in
> >> Control Panel is OK and has not been changed / does not change, just the
> >> date format in open files.  (I've not tried to open another file to see
> >> what
> >> happens but I suspect it would be in the short format).  Closing down and
> >> re-starting Excel resolves the issue.  It is just an inconvenience when
> >> it
> >> happens that I would like to know, if possible, the cause so it can be
> >> stopped.
> >>
> >> Thanks.
> >>
> >> Bill Ridgeway
> >>
> >> "Dave Peterson" <petersod@verizonXSPAM.net> wrote in message
> >> news:47F3B3F9.65E92B0C@verizonXSPAM.net...
> >> > I'm not sure why restarting excel would help, but there are some date
> >> > formats
> >> > that are picked up from the user's short date format.
> >> >
> >> > If you look at:
> >> > format|cells|number tab|Date category, you'll see some types that are
> >> > preceded
> >> > with an asterisk.
> >> >
> >> > When you click on one of those types, you'll see this at the bottom of
> >> > the
> >> > dialog (at least in xl2003):
> >> >
> >> > Date formats display date and time serial numbers as date values.
> >> > Except
> >> > for
> >> > items that have an asterisk (*), applied formats do not switch date
> >> > orders
> >> > with
> >> > the operating system.
> >> >
> >> > This really doesn't explain why the displayed format would change just
> >> > by
> >> > restarting excel, though.  Maybe there's more going on????
> >> >
> >> > Bill Ridgeway wrote:
> >> >>
> >> >> Every so often the date format for all open worksheets are changed
> >> >> from
> >> >> yyyy
> >> >> to yy for no apparent reason.  This can be resolved by closing down
> >> >> and
> >> >> re-starting Excel so it's no worse than an irritation.
> >> >>
> >> >> Does anyone know why this should happen please?
> >> >>
> >> >> Regards.
> >> >>
> >> >> Bill Ridgeway
> >> >
> >> > --
> >> >
> >> > Dave Peterson
> >
> > --
> >
> > Dave Peterson

-- 

Dave Peterson
0
petersod (12004)
4/3/2008 4:54:05 PM
Reply:

Similar Artilces:

filter by date and action
I have a table with three columns: Name Date Action Fred Today this Fred Today this Fred Today that Wilma Today this I want to sort by name and by date, but only if 'this' was done more than once on the same day, and not if 'that' was done on the same day,They have to perform this more than once, and they cannot have performed that on the same day. If not in excel, mssql maybe? Thanks, Harry On Aug 18, 1:53=A0pm, Harry <hamac...@gmail.com> wrote: > I have a table with three co...

Calculate Years/Months Between Dates and then Average
We are using the formula =DATEDIF(A1,NOW(),"y") & "." & DATEDIF(A1,NOW(),"ym") to calculate the years and months from an employee hire date. Is there an easy way to average the years and months for a group of employees with the results of that formula? You could use: =AVERAGE(A1:A10*1) Array-entered, meaning press ctrl-shift-enter. But you could also just change your current formula to: =1*(DATEDIF(A1,NOW(),"y") & "." & DATEDIF(A1,NOW(),"ym")) Then just use: =AVERAGE(A1:A10) which is *not* array-entered. ...

Transaction Date VS Business Date
Our accounting department needs/wants to have all RMS SO reporting by business date opposed to transaction date. Usually these are the same unless you have sales and batches that close after midnight. For our store I would like to set 3 a.m. as the business day closing time. So when I run any type of reports I would like to get the information for a business date (range) starting at 3 a.m. till 3 a.m. the next day. I guess I could accomplish this by subtracting 3 hours from all the transaction (date and) times but I would have to do this for every single report which would be a lot of ...

IF Function Format -- Microsoft Query
I am attempting to pull data from SQL data table into Excel for pivot table. Field_1 is a value; always positive. Field_2 is a text flag; either "C" or"D". Depending on the flag in Field_2; Field_1 is either positive or negative. What is the format of the entry in Microsoft Query so that a Field_3 can accurately be calculated? In Excel I would entry =if(Field_2="D",Field_1,-Field_1). In Access, the function would be IIF(Field_2="D",Field_1,-Field_1) Unfortunately I have no idea whether it will work with your SQL data. If that fails, you can a...

Post Dated Checks
I had to prepare some post dated checks and we did not have fiscal periods set up yet to match the dates of the checks. Currently the check batches are waiting to be posted. What is the best way to handle post dated checks? If I create new fiscal years to match these dates, I will end up having 4 Open years. Is this the only way to do it? You can manage post dated checks in Microsoft Dynamics GP with the Payment Document Management module available on the Feature Pack 1 DVD image. For more info, take a look at MVP Mohammad Daoud's post on the subject at: https://communit...

How to do a conditional format for multi cells
Lets say based on a value in A5 I would like to change the text format for cells d5:g5 (four columns), what would be the best procedure to do this, can it be done using conditional format if each cell d5,e5,f5,g5 or is there another way. By that do I input a conditional format for each cell d5,e5,f5,g5 (if A5> "xx" then <format>. A big Thank You for all the help. dave Yes, highlight the four cells and apply your conditional format to them all. You will need to use $A$5 as the reference. Pete Hi Pete, This did not work for me. For the "value" I have =$...

unwanted slide layout changes when using copy and paste with equat
Hello: I have Office 2003, and I frequently use Microsoft Equation 3.0 for mathematical equations that I need. Often, I need to copy-and-paste an exisiting equation multiple times. However, when I try to paste a copy of an equation, the slide layout changes. For instance, if I start with a "title, text, and content" slide, then the act of pasting an equation turns that slide into a "title, text, and 2 content" slide. Worse, all of my graphics and whatnot on the slide are now all pushed over to one side of the slide and I have to go move them all back ...

Remove "Date: Yesterday" or "Date: Monday" from Outlook Inbox?
Outlook mail inbox now has headers that tell you what day the the email was sent. I find this visually annoying. Each emailalready has the time and day it was sent. I don't need the daily titles in the midst of the list of emails. How do I make them go away? I think you are talking about OL 2003 & the Arrange in Groups setting. Change it in View, Arrange by, uncheck Show in Groups. "silky" wrote: > Outlook mail inbox now has headers that tell you what day the the email was > sent. I find this visually annoying. Each emailalready has the time and day >...

strange date format problem
Hi, I downloaded some data on excel using Bloomberg. One column has dates and the other has numbers. Dates appear as 01/01/1980 format which I want in Jan-80 format. I have changed the format cell properties but it still appears as 01/01/1980. I have to goto individual cell and press F2 <enter> so see the effect. Dont know why? I cant even copy paste format after that .... TIA/amag I am not sure, but is your workbook set to Auto-Recalculate? Try pushing <F9> to do a manual re-calculation, see if that changes the formats. If it does, go to Tools (on the menu bar), Options, Ca...

changing case #2
Hi, is there any way I can change the letter case in Excel. I know thi can be done in word by going to format and change case, but am unsur how to do it in EXcel. I simply want to change everything to capital letters. Please let me know, thank you very much for your help. Sheeta -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com Hi Sheetal There is a function =UPPER(A1) but if you want to change all the cells then use a macro See this webpages http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/excel/proper.htm Or http://www.cpearson.com/excel/case.htm Here is a Macro for changing text cells in the select...

Changing default "thread priority" of some kernel services
Hello, Are there way to change priority level of some kernel services? For example: Print Spooler to use Low Priority but LanManServer to use High Priority Level . In the past in Windows NT it was by adding registry DWORD value "ThreadPriority" under desired service ...

how to save fixed format text file
I have an Excel file which is 269 characters wide. I need to save this file in fixed format but experience line wrap when using the PRN file type. Anyone have an answer to my problem? You might have to use a macro to get the result you want. See if Chip Pearson's text export macro does it: http://www.cpearson.com/excel/imptext.htm -- Jim Rech Excel MVP You have a few choices (try against a copy of your worksheet): I'd either concatenate the cell values into another column: =LEFT(A1&REPT(" ",20),20) & LEFT(B1&REPT(" ",10),10) & TEXT(C1,&...

How to sort by name then date?
I would like to look through all the emails to a particular person. If I click on the "To" column I can see all the emails to a particular person (actually there is a problem with that which I will mention next) but they seem to be in random order. Is there a way to have them sorted by date? (i.e. by name first, then by date). Actually, sorting on the "To" column does not get all the emails sent to a given email address. Because Outlook uses the "display as" field. It will often give different "display as" names to the same email address. C...

Concatenate including a date so that the date appears as a date
When I try to join the contents of several cells, one of which is a date and time obtained from =now(), the date and time part appears as a number. How can I make it appear as a date and time? I have tried changing the cell formats - probably there is a combination that works but I haven't found it. I also tried copying the original date cell to another cell and changing the latter cell's format and concatenating using that latter cell, but still no success. Use the TEXT function. For example, =TEXT(NOW(),"mmmm d, yyyy") would give January 6, 2010 "dd...

if statement with dates #2
I would like to have a statement like: IF(a1>0,1/1/2004) with 1/1/2004 beint a date. EXCEL is interpreting 1/1/2004 as an arithmetic statement and giving me the result of the arithemtic. I could put in the numeric offste for the date and write IF(a1>0,37987), formatting the cell as a date, but this seems awkward. What else can I do? TIA, Sanford ...

Comment print format
Hello, I am trying to change the text that says Cell: Comment: when I print my Comments at the end of my form. Is this text embedded by Microsoft? Thanks, Bob Hi Bob have a look at this thread http://tinyurl.com/3xq6h Frank GT40 wrote: > Hello, > I am trying to change the text that says Cell: Comment: > when I print my Comments at the end of my form. Is this > text embedded by Microsoft? > Thanks, > Bob Frank OP wants the printed comments to not show the Cell:A1 Comment:whatever The codes at your URL just change the on-sheet comment format, but the printed ...

Underlined formatting comments in Word 2003
Some days ago I got some good tips from readers in this forum, re unwanted red colored, underlined, formatting comments in plain documents. Comments which I printed, but somehow have lost. These comments have now popped up in some other document. When I am inside this document, it seems as if I really managed to get rid of the formatting comments. Then I save the document in normal way, then exit from Word 2003. Next when I open up the same document, those underlined comments come up again. Feel like a little swearing !! -- ___________ Knut Willy Double-click TR...

Counting Dates?
=COUNTIF(A1:A100,"<" & NOW()) This works good for specific cells. I have a similar question. How would I do the same thing given that: 1) You only have a starting date 2) Your only wanting to count work days (in this case 4 day/wk) up to NOW() Thank you for all your help. Aviator On Thu, 6 Jan 2005 12:53:03 -0800, "Aviator" <Aviator@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >=COUNTIF(A1:A100,"<" & NOW()) > >This works good for specific cells. I have a similar question. > >How would I do the same thing given that: >1) You only ha...

http://crm/reportserver
CRM and SRS Reportserver changes Previously I could access SRS reports from http://crm/reportserver by clicking the reports title as a hyperlink, we recently did an upgrade to 4.0 in our development environment and now I cannot open the reports from the http://crm/reportserver link I can only see them, furthermore the Report Title isn't the hyperlink anymore it appears to be a report GUID. The reorts do open up fro the http://crm/reports link fine. What is wrong, how can I fix this? Why did this change and how can I access reports using their http://crm/reportserver link? Finally foun...

Count Unique Cells, within a date range (dates stored in separate column).
Hello All: I am attempting to create a formula that will count the number of unique cells (alpha-numeric) in an entire column (no set length, so ex: "$B:$B"). This count will be based on a date range (Between 2 dates). The dates are stored in another column (Ex: "$A:$A"). The following is an example of the cells. Dates PO_Num 1/2/2010 A123456 1/3/2010 B453453 2/2/2010 A123456 3/4/2010 C2342F3K 4/3/2010 123456 I would like to know a formula that can count the number of different PO's based on a given date range. Please help me if you...

Same format using =
I have a cell (let's say A1), that is formatted with a fill color, a specific font, and a specific font color. I have another cell (A5) that has the formula =A1. How can A5 have the same formatting as A1 and not only its value ? thnks Stabilo, Select A1 Edit-Copy Select A5 Edid-Paste Special-Formats-OK Hope this helps Pete "stabilo" wrote: > I have a cell (let's say A1), that is formatted with a fill color, a specific > font, and a specific font color. I have another cell (A5) that has the > formula =A1. How can A5 have the same formatting as A1 and no...

Losing formating going from Word 2002 to Outlook 2002
I have been driving myself crazy trying to figure out why I am losing m formating when try to send a newsletter in word using outlook 2002 fro within word. When the email is received, the formating is all messed up. I tried to save the document as a web page and then send it but it i still received messed up. The newsletter is four columns wide, has text and graphics and wa saved and sent as all three different types (RTF, HTML and a norma word docutment) and still not luck. Can any one offer any advise ----------------------------------------------- ~~ Message posted from http://www.Exc...

An expression for dates from and to
I am trying to create an expression to select items from a date field falling from a certain date to a certain date. I am obviously missing something in my expression. The field name is DateComplete. How can I set up this expression to pull date from a certain date to a certain date? -- Ronnie Hi Ronnie, An example of the SQL would be: SELECT * FROM [TABLE NAME] WHERE DateComplete Between #1/1/2006# And #1/1/2007# ; On May 23, 3:52 pm, Ronnie <Ron...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: > I am trying to create an expression to select items from a date field falling > from a...

Formating pivot table cells.
Hello, I'm having problems with preserving format of a pivot table. That's how it happens: - I clear all the filters - change e.g. font size of the first column - apply one of the filters - the format changes but it looks like these are random changes - one cell has one format, the other has different, one cell is alligned to the left, the other not and so on. I tried to apply "preserve format after update" (it may sound different, it's just my translation from polish) function but it both cases formating looks random. I'd like to set my format and I want this for...

Returning only MAX(date) not all dates
I want to be able to list the most current date an item is checked out. As I was working through the query I used max as an aggregate function but I still can't get the simple result I want. I'd rather list the fields I have chosen and somehow select just the most current checkout date. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Here is my query: SELECT tblTerritory.TerritoryID, [TerritoryName] & " " & [TerritoryDescription] AS Description, tblTerritory.TerritoryTypeID, tblTerritoryType.TerritoryType, Max(tblTerritoryCheckout.DateCheckedOut) AS Checked...