Data\Validation

I have a cell in excel that has a Validation list, and the list is a
sum of other cells so the values change based on what is entered in
other cells. my question is, is it possible to have the cell update by
itself.
Example I have completed entering data in the cells and then I go and
select an option from the validation list then I go back and change
some data that I entered originally, at this point is it possible that
the validation option that I had selected can be updated automatically
instead of me going back and selecting it again.
Thanks.
0
marc747 (8)
12/27/2007 5:18:15 PM
excel 39879 articles. 2 followers. Follow

You may be able to update the selections with programming. There's a
sample file here:

Under Data Validation, look for 'DV0022 - Update Validation Selections'

--
Debra Dalgleish
Contextures

0
dsd1 (5911)
12/27/2007 5:26:08 PM
Thanks, I checked and tried very good, except one thing the validation
list gets the data from a source that it has SUM formulas so when I
tried it did not work, any ideas what I can do to make it work.
Basically I have 3 cells (M1:M3) this cells have formulas and I have
one cell that is the validation list to select one option. thanks
0
marc747 (8)

MSN Online Data?
I’m not happy that my financial information is uploaded to the msn/money web site. How can I prevent this? I have no need for my private data to be scattered around the universe. The only online functionality I want is the ability to download my credit card transactions. assuming you are using 2005 go to tools then settings. You will see an option called Access you money data on the web. It should lead you through the process. Personaly if i were you i would also unlink my ms passport under file and password manager. "skiingj" <skiingj@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote...

Regression
In Excel 2003, I used the Data Analysis Toolkit to perform a linear regression. Does anyone know how I see the variance of each datapoint away from the line of best fit? Tools - data analysis - regression (i dont know if there is an option in this process that will display the data i am looking for) Thanks. WA - The Regression tool has a checkbox for Residuals, in which case it provides Residuals (difference between actual Y and predicted/fitted Y) for each data point. - Mike http://www.MikeMiddleton.com "WA" <WA@discussions.microsoft.com> wrot...

Formatting of Data Labels in Histograms
I have used histograms extensively in MS2003 but have encountered a broblem using MS2007. I have a spreadsheet that shows dollar amounts of contracts being awarded during certain months over a three year period. Some months more than one contract is awarded, others have one or none. Therefore, my histogram is a stacked column type. My X-axis shows months and my Y-axis dollars. The problem I am encountering is with the data labels which I put centered on the column. The dollar amounts show correctly but for some reason there is a zero at each interval of the X-axis, even for months...

Plotting Data
Hi, how can I plot the analysis data in the document class, in its related view class. Is it possible to make plots like in MATLAB (surface plots,mesh plots of a matrix)??? ...

can excel use automatic carraige returns? and send/recieve data via com port?
Hi I need to design a sheet that is of a set size i.e 20 rows by 20 columns I'm inputting the data with a barcode scanner (via serial port) I need the cursor to automatically go to a new line and start of line once the top line is full of data. I have spent hours reading help and searching the net but to no success can someone please help me here? I also have an even harder problem and that is - can excel send a "?" chr via a com port and then input the response ( a weight in KG) back into a cell? its a set of scales for animals Thanks in advance OK I worked out the 1st part...

Form will not allow data entry 01-30-08
Today my database which has been working fine for 10 years quit working. I have tabbed controls of which some are subforms. All of the subforms work fine, but the tab-control pages will not allow any data entry and no error is given. I checked to make sure that the page properties and field properties are not locked. I can enter data directly into the backend of this database. Why would this happen to only tab controls and not subforms. I suspect this is a problem of the back end as prior front ends (that have not been used for months) do not allow the changes also. Any suggestions....

Data Validation copy and paste bug
I'm not sure if this is a bug or the incorrect use of a custom data validation formula. I'm trying to check to see if more than one value of "X" has been placed into a range of cells. Here is the custom data validation formula I am using: =IF(COUNTIF(B5:D5,"X") > 1,0,1) Everything seems to work fine until I attempt to copy and paste a character into one of the cells in the range...validation does not trigger. The other instance when validation doesn't trigger is when I start adding the "X" to the last cell in the range and go backwards. Any sugge...

Coupons Validation
Is it possible to create a coupon that is only used for specific item? In this case, Cashier needs to do some validation on the coupon before it could be used to pay for any item. Thanks in Advance ...

change the display data format cell already contain data as date
In Excel sheet a column contains datas as like 19.12.2008 this column contains"General" format. Now I want to change and display above as date format like 12/19/2008 Hi May this can help press ctrl and F then click replace and Type FIND WHAT . in Replace with type / then click replace all "Harun" wrote: > In Excel sheet a column contains datas as like 19.12.2008 this column > contains"General" format. Now I want to change and display above as date > format like 12/19/2008 You can use the 'Convert Text to Columns Wizard to ...

collect data from the same row in multiple spreadsheets
I have 140 employees with a separate workbook for each.The workbooks contains their by-weekly timesheets. Each workbook has 26 sheets (one for each pay period). I need to start a workbook that will contain the total line for each employee (line 37). For instance, The first sheet in each workbook in named "july 3". I need to collect line 37 from each July 3 sheet (total 140 lines) and have them show in the new workbook on the "july 3" sheet. I have to do this 26 times to complete the new workbook. Does anyone know of a shortcut? Hi Jeannine > of a shortcut? ...

Can excel data be encrypted?
I have Employee numbers that I want to encrypt so the employees cant be identified. Can this be done in excel and how? Thank you. "Confused" wrote: > I have Employee numbers that I want to encrypt > so the employees cant be identified. Can this be > done in excel and how? Almost anything can be done "in Excel" if you are willing to program in VBA ;-). There might be good free or for-payment solutions available. I don't know. For my own purposes, I wrote my own macros that encode/decode using a fairly simple algorithm based on a user-input ...

Xml data bound to Datagridview -> Add datarow via XmlElement
Greetings, I have a datagridview bound to a datatable created from an xmlfile on one form. Another form appends to the xml file using the code below. To refresh the datagridview on the other form I simply re-set the datasource to the newly saved xmldocument. However, is it possible to use the XmlQuoteEl.outerxml as it includes all the information which equates to a datarow to add it to the datatable (datagridview datasource)? XmlElement isn't an acceptble parameter in any read/write xml methods, but thought re-loading the whole file again is overkill. Hope this ma...

How to retrieve source data from data plots only?
Hi, I would appreciate any help on this. Basically, I have got some plots in Excel from my colleague. He had deleted all the source data used to generate those plots since he only cares about the plots. However, the source data is what I really need. I know by clicking on each data point in a plot, you can view the value of that data point. But is there a way to retrieve all the source data at once? There are simply too many data points in a plot for me to do this one by one. Thanks, Fang I have found a macro for doing this. I am posting the link here in case someone runs into the same p...

Import Data into same cell
Hi, I need to import data from 5 different spreadsheets into the same cell. For example, I have one spread sheet that says test1 , Test2, and Test3 spread over 9 colums and 200 rows in random places. Copy and pasting them into the master document is easy, but for the next spread sheet, I have Yes, No and Maybe. I have to import that data into the same cell as the test1 test2 and test3 cells without overwriting the existing data. Is there a way to do this? I would hate to manually input this data, it would take for ever. Thanks in advance. Hi not sure what you mean by "import...

Data Collector Sets Not Collecting Data
When I create a new data collector set from performance monitor, everything seems to go well. The DCS is created and when I export the DCS to an .xml template, all the counters are there. The DCS Starts, but won't collect any data. Even if I create the DCS manually and add counters manually, it still doesn't seem to do anything. I have made sure it's running with credentials of a perf log user group member (and an administrator). The output file that's created is around 300 KB. It just holds no data. When I used the 'export' choice against the DCS, I get a...

Modify Code to format entire row of data
I had the following VBA that I use to format my reports: Option Explicit Sub boldFillRangeIfCBoldOrBNull() Dim i As Integer For i = 1 To 1000 If Cells(i, "c").Font.Bold = True Then Range(Cells(i, "a"), Cells(i, "O")).Font.Bold = True Range(Cells(i, "a"), Cells(i, "O")).Interior.ColorIndex = 15 End If If Cells(i, "B") = "" Then Range(Cells(i, "A"), Cells(i, "O")).Interior.ColorIndex = 19 End If Next i Reporting need have ch...

Recovering data #2
I have been working on a certain document for quite some time now, and the other day I accidentally saved over it. Is there ANY way to find that document? I really need help. On 10/27/09 6:48 PM, in article 59b7f755.-1@webcrossing.caR9absDaxw, "Btherainbow@officeformac.com" <Btherainbow@officeformac.com> wrote: > I have been working on a certain document for quite some time now, and the > other day I accidentally saved over it. Is there ANY way to find that > document? I really need help. If you have Time Machine this is an excellent way to recover a previous versio...

Data Entry With Drop down Keypad
When you enter dollar amounts in MS Money you can type it in the box or use a drop-down calculator key pad to enter the number. Does the same thing exist for Excel? No, you can't add a calculator like in Money, you can add a calculator to the menu but it is a shortcut to the built in windows calculator and you must use ctrl + c to copy and then ctrl + v to paste into excel To get the calculator do tool>customize and then commands, select tools in the left pane and scroll down until you see a calculator with the name "custom", drag it to the menu -- Regards, Peo Sjobl...

Data base size discrepancy
I have two identical data bases; the same two tables, the same 28 fields per record, the same number (1675875) of records, the same queries and all the data is numerical (double). However, one data base is 530MB and the other is 1808MB! The second one takes much longer to load as well. I can find no reason for this. Can anyone suggest things I might take a look at? see other response -- Dorian "Give someone a fish and they eat for a day; teach someone to fish and they eat for a lifetime". "Susan L" wrote: > I have two identical data bases; the ...

horizontal data to vertical data

Troubleshooting Data Import from Excel File
Hello all! I am trying to determine why my data import into excel 2002 is not working correctly. I have multiple Excel sheets that I am going to have feeding into one primary one. One sheet I have imported correctly; although its formatting got shot to hell in the process, it is still usable and workable. However, I run into problems with a second sheet. When I do the data import from the other excel file, I can see the titles for both columns and rows, but no numerical data. This happens with another worksheet from the same workbook. In the excel workbook that I am trying to import fro...

GetPivot Data
Hi All, In a spreadsheet i am using the getpivotdata formula, and the pivot valuesare stored in separate files. Eg: GETPIVOTDATA("Sum of Total$",[wk21sd.xls]Pivot!$A$3,"Name",$A7) Now my problem is the file name changes every week i.e. wk21sd will become wk22sd. i am unable to change the week name in the formula. i tried using offset which gives me the desired week name but the getpivotdata still does not give any value in result. Please help. Thanks, Navin Why can't you change the week name in the formula? navin wrote: > Hi All, > > In a spreadsheet ...

Comparing Data Need to Include & Exclude #2

Data Migration Framework
Hi, we're running into issues migrating data via DMF if the records belong to inactive users. I can't imagine we would be expected to buy enough licenses for both active and inactive users, so I think we just might be missing something. Can anyone provide insight on how DMF handles inactive users' records? Thanks! I believe the documentation for the DMF states that all records being imported into CRM need to belong to active users or the migration will fail. -- Matt Wittemann http://icu-mscrm.blogspot.com "Chris S" wrote: > Hi, we're running into issue...

collecting data using email in a Access table
I am collecting a group's information(name, phone number and three paragraphs describing their hobby). I want to send an email to all the group recipients which allows them to enter the information(name, phone number and three paragraphs describing their hobby) and update it in a Access table stored on my machine. One way I can do this if all recipients have Outlook 2007 is using the email create facility of Access 2007 which is described at http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=618891E8-7145-44C8-9E40-82218B1E8DF7&displaylang=en This creates a ...