data validation not working on one sheet

Excel 2003

I have a series of cells using a Named Range for a data validation list.
Until yesterday it worked fine.  Now it doesn't work.  The cell, list, range
is all the same.  I've done the Edit/Goto/Special/Data Validation/All and it
highlights the right cells.  I also tried to set up something very simpl:

A1,2,3 have values aa,bb,cc.  I then set up b2 for data validation, list,
and drag the range over a1,2,3.  Error alert is checked.  Click on b2 and no
drop down.  You can key in anything you want.

On all other worksheets data validation works just fine.  Anybody have any
ideas what I can look for here?

thanks - Russ
0
xrbbaker (61)
4/17/2007 5:28:01 PM
excel 39879 articles. 2 followers. Follow

Oh good lord.  Problem closed.  I see that the "=" disappeared prior to the
Range Name in the data validation source.  That will do it.  Sorry.

thx

"xrbbaker" wrote:

> Excel 2003
>
> I have a series of cells using a Named Range for a data validation list.
> Until yesterday it worked fine.  Now it doesn't work.  The cell, list, range
> is all the same.  I've done the Edit/Goto/Special/Data Validation/All and it
> highlights the right cells.  I also tried to set up something very simpl:
>
> A1,2,3 have values aa,bb,cc.  I then set up b2 for data validation, list,
> and drag the range over a1,2,3.  Error alert is checked.  Click on b2 and no
> drop down.  You can key in anything you want.
>
> On all other worksheets data validation works just fine.  Anybody have any
> ideas what I can look for here?
>
> thanks - Russ
0
xrbbaker (61)
4/17/2007 5:42:00 PM
I spoke too soon.  Yes, the "=" was missing from the Source for data
validation.  On my test page that solved the problem.  When I added the "="
to my problem sheet, the problem persists.  I still don't get any drop
down...  Weird.  any ideas?

"xrbbaker" wrote:

> Oh good lord.  Problem closed.  I see that the "=" disappeared prior to the
> Range Name in the data validation source.  That will do it.  Sorry.
>
> thx
>

> "xrbbaker" wrote:
>
> > Excel 2003
> >
> > I have a series of cells using a Named Range for a data validation list.
> > Until yesterday it worked fine.  Now it doesn't work.  The cell, list, range
> > is all the same.  I've done the Edit/Goto/Special/Data Validation/All and it
> > highlights the right cells.  I also tried to set up something very simpl:
> >
> > A1,2,3 have values aa,bb,cc.  I then set up b2 for data validation, list,
> > and drag the range over a1,2,3.  Error alert is checked.  Click on b2 and no
> > drop down.  You can key in anything you want.
> >
> > On all other worksheets data validation works just fine.  Anybody have any
> > ideas what I can look for here?
> >
> > thanks - Russ
0
xrbbaker (61)
4/17/2007 5:46:01 PM
No drop-down on just that one worksheet or just the one cell?

Maybe you have unchecked "in-cell dropdown" for that cell with the DV list.

Gord Dibben  MS Excel MVP

On Tue, 17 Apr 2007 10:46:01 -0700, xrbbaker
<xrbbaker@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>I spoke too soon.  Yes, the "=" was missing from the Source for data
>validation.  On my test page that solved the problem.  When I added the "="
>to my problem sheet, the problem persists.  I still don't get any drop
>down...  Weird.  any ideas?
>

>"xrbbaker" wrote:
>
>> Oh good lord.  Problem closed.  I see that the "=" disappeared prior to the
>> Range Name in the data validation source.  That will do it.  Sorry.
>>
>> thx
>>

>> "xrbbaker" wrote:
>>
>> > Excel 2003
>> >
>> > I have a series of cells using a Named Range for a data validation list.
>> > Until yesterday it worked fine.  Now it doesn't work.  The cell, list, range
>> > is all the same.  I've done the Edit/Goto/Special/Data Validation/All and it
>> > highlights the right cells.  I also tried to set up something very simpl:
>> >
>> > A1,2,3 have values aa,bb,cc.  I then set up b2 for data validation, list,
>> > and drag the range over a1,2,3.  Error alert is checked.  Click on b2 and no
>> > drop down.  You can key in anything you want.
>> >
>> > On all other worksheets data validation works just fine.  Anybody have any
>> > ideas what I can look for here?
>> >
>> > thanks - Russ

0
Gord
4/17/2007 5:56:44 PM
Gord,

Data validation doesn't work in any way, just on this one sheet.  I have in
cell drop down checked.  I try source = named range, or just plain range and
it just doesn't work.  I've created a new cell data validation and it doesn't
work either.  Every other worksheet works fine.

thx

"Gord Dibben" wrote:

> No drop-down on just that one worksheet or just the one cell?
>
> Maybe you have unchecked "in-cell dropdown" for that cell with the DV list.
>

> Gord Dibben  MS Excel MVP
>
> On Tue, 17 Apr 2007 10:46:01 -0700, xrbbaker
> <xrbbaker@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>
> >I spoke too soon.  Yes, the "=" was missing from the Source for data
> >validation.  On my test page that solved the problem.  When I added the "="
> >to my problem sheet, the problem persists.  I still don't get any drop
> >down...  Weird.  any ideas?
> >

> >"xrbbaker" wrote:
> >
> >> Oh good lord.  Problem closed.  I see that the "=" disappeared prior to the
> >> Range Name in the data validation source.  That will do it.  Sorry.
> >>
> >> thx

0
xrbbaker (61)
4/17/2007 6:16:01 PM
I'm not sure where to go from here.

I would suggest Tools>Options>View>Objects>Show all if it were the entire
workbook not showing the arrows, but with just one sheet............??

What happens when you select the cell and Alt + DownArrow?

Check out Debra Dalgleish's site for troubleshooting DV.

http://www.contextures.on.ca/xlDataVal08.html#Freeze

Gord

On Tue, 17 Apr 2007 11:16:01 -0700, xrbbaker
<xrbbaker@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>Gord,
>
>Data validation doesn't work in any way, just on this one sheet.  I have in
>cell drop down checked.  I try source = named range, or just plain range and
>it just doesn't work.  I've created a new cell data validation and it doesn't
>work either.  Every other worksheet works fine.
>
>thx
>
>"Gord Dibben" wrote:
>
>> No drop-down on just that one worksheet or just the one cell?
>>
>> Maybe you have unchecked "in-cell dropdown" for that cell with the DV list.
>>

>> Gord Dibben  MS Excel MVP
>>
>> On Tue, 17 Apr 2007 10:46:01 -0700, xrbbaker
>> <xrbbaker@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>>
>> >I spoke too soon.  Yes, the "=" was missing from the Source for data
>> >validation.  On my test page that solved the problem.  When I added the "="
>> >to my problem sheet, the problem persists.  I still don't get any drop
>> >down...  Weird.  any ideas?

0
Gord
4/17/2007 6:43:06 PM
Gord,

Thanks for hanging with me on this one.  I punted.  Check this out...

If I create a copy of the worksheet, the existing DV fails just like the
original ws.  If I copy the whole ws and paste it onto a new ws, the DV works
just fine.  It was a pain in the butt, but that is what I ended up doing.  I
copied to a new ws and then went about modifying all formulae tha refered to
the ws, Names, etc.

I wonder if a single ws can become corrupt?

Anyway, I'm done with it now.  I've ported the cells and delete the old
problem sheet.  HOPEFULLY I won't see this again, but I have a bad feeling...

thx

"Gord Dibben" wrote:

> I'm not sure where to go from here.
>
> I would suggest Tools>Options>View>Objects>Show all if it were the entire
> workbook not showing the arrows, but with just one sheet............??
>
> What happens when you select the cell and Alt + DownArrow?
>
> Check out Debra Dalgleish's site for troubleshooting DV.
>
> http://www.contextures.on.ca/xlDataVal08.html#Freeze
>

> Gord
>
> On Tue, 17 Apr 2007 11:16:01 -0700, xrbbaker
> <xrbbaker@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>
> >Gord,
> >
> >Data validation doesn't work in any way, just on this one sheet.  I have in
> >cell drop down checked.  I try source = named range, or just plain range and
> >it just doesn't work.  I've created a new cell data validation and it doesn't
> >work either.  Every other worksheet works fine.
> >
> >thx
> >
> >"Gord Dibben" wrote:
> >
> >> No drop-down on just that one worksheet or just the one cell?
> >>
> >> Maybe you have unchecked "in-cell dropdown" for that cell with the DV list.
> >>

> >> Gord Dibben  MS Excel MVP

0
xrbbaker (61)

Calendar Entry, invite one person everyone gets invited.
Hi All I have an issue with a client of ours, Where if they invite a particular single user to a calendar entry as an attendee the invite is sent out to all staff. They are running SBS 2003 Premium with ISA 2000 (not sp1) Check how delegation of the particular user calendar was made: in Outlook: tools > options > delegates and uncheck "Delegate receives copies of meeting-related messages sent to me". Xavier "Fisheye" <support@fisheye.nospam.co.nz> wrote in message news:ekECrO6SGHA.4452@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl... > Hi All > > I have an issue with...

horizontal data to vertical data

storing read only data

Resource Work Load
Hi there Can anyone help? I have a single master plan with a number of different projects in it. The same resources are working on all the projects. In the resource usage view I want see how many days each resource is working on a particular project on a monthly basis. So for example I want to see: HR May June July Joe Bloggs 15d 10d 12d Marketing May June July Joe Bloggs 5d 3d 4d In the Gantt chart view I added a text1 field with the project name and then tried to filter it in the resource usage view but it doesn�t display in the resource usage view Hope this ma...

Two Sites in one Organisation (Exchange 2003)
I have two sites in one Organisation (both are Exchange 2003). When I create new E-mail id in one site other site notable to see it. What I have to do for. Need to create Active director connector? I tried it but its unable to connect other Exchange Serve. If do same thing in Exchange, its able to connect. Can any body help me on this? Have a good day. ADC is only used to synchronize the AD with an Exchange 5.5 directory. If you don't have 5.5, what are you connected the ADC to? You may need to get your terminology straight. In a pure Exchange 2003 environment there is no site ob...

export public folder data?

How to organize data?

This code doesn't work, why?
Create a new MCF project (test_odbc). Using the wizard, add a class to conect to a database in SQL server (CMyDB). The code looks like this: void Ctest_odbcApp::fun1(CRecordset *pRS) { CString csValue; pRS.GetFieldValue(0,csValue); // <- Generates a CDBException. Why? } BOOL Ctest_odbcApp::InitInstance() { CMyDB cDB; CString csValue; try { cDB.Open(); cDB.MoveFirst(); cDB.GetFieldValue(0,csValue);// <- This works fine fun1(&cDB); cDB.Close(); } catch(CDBException *pDBE) { pDBE->ReportError()...

Switchboard Me.FilterOn not working in 2007 Full Version
Thanks for your time, first off! Situation is this: A 2002 database in place for years with a stock Switchboard - no tweaks, nothing out of the ordinary. Compiled FE works fine for 2002 runtime and full version. A User moved to 2007 and the client is not filtering as expected. When User loads into the uncompiled FE they are able to click "Toggle Filter" on the ribbon and the SW works fine. (Of course, the TF button is unavailable in the compiled FE - and this should not be necessary anyway.) Obligatory code insert: Private Sub Form_Open(Cancel As Integer) ' M...

Selecting specific data #2
Hi everyone I have another little problem. I have got a list of 20 items on sheet1, Cells A1 - A20 (numbered 1 - 20) and Cells B1 - B20 are items relating to that number, ie, number 1 = Concrete, number 2 = walls, and so on. Now on sheet 2 I have a table, again cell range A1:B20. I would like to know a formula so that when I enter a number in to column A, the corresponding item to that number appears in column B. ie, if I enter number 8 in Cell A1 on sheet 2, then I would like Floor to appear in Cell B1. Does this make sense? -- Thanks in advance for your help Lee Hi Lee Data range i...

What was your data migration experience for MS CRM 3.0?
Has anyone used DMF 3.0 to migrate data into CRM using its wizards or stored proceedures? What happened and how did you do it? Andy It's a bit unwieldy, but if you follow the documentation closely and do thorough tests it is a helpful tool. You should be prepared to do some extensive data cleansing and search the newsgroups when you hit a roadblock. -- Matt Wittemann, CRM MVP http://icu-mscrm.blogspot.com "Andy" wrote: > Has anyone used DMF 3.0 to migrate data into CRM using its wizards or > stored proceedures? > > What happened and how did you do it? >...

Last Column With Data
How do I check a certain row to find out the last column in the row that has data? Dim myRow as long dim LastCol as long myrow = 1243 with worksheets("SomeSheetnamehere") lastcol = .cells(myrow,.columns.count).end(xltoleft).column end with msgbox LastCol This will break if you've used the last column in that row -- or if you haven't used any cells in that row. Is that a problem? Bishop wrote: > > How do I check a certain row to find out the last column in the row that has > data? -- Dave Peterson This gives a interger...

data file: how to start its application

Why doesnt this work?
I have two sheets. The one called CorpClaims and one called Summary, the latter is where I want the answer. On CorpClaims is a list of data with various headings such as DateofLoss, Amount, DescriptionofLoss etc On Summary is a small table that has Description of Loss down the left in Column A, in row 2 is the applicable month (the input would be 01/08/2009 for August 09 and formatted as Aug 09). Then the value part of the table would be the sum of all amounts that fall under the Description of Loss, (which is defined in column AJ) that fall in a certain month. =SUMIFS(CorpCl...

merging data
I have a master file and 4 workbooks where individuals enter info daily. I need to update the master file workbook at the end of the day with the info from the 4 individual notebooks. How would I merge this data? I tried the "shared workbooks" process but it wouldn't let me do it. Please Help! Since your question is very "general", here's a "general" suggestion: Explore the use of links. Have all WBs open. Right click in a pertinent data cell of one of the 4 WBs, and choose "Copy". Navigate to the appropriate cell in the "Master&quo...

Vertical Data Extraction
Hi, I need to create a chart that is based on changing values. The Values are all stored vertically in a Worksheet called Percentage. The chart sheet contains a selection box where the user can select a specific search and a date and the selected conditions should be searched for and the chart should display results. Basically, when the user selects X in the first list box and Y in the second one, the code should search the Percentage worksheet for all instances of value=x and y and output. column Row Feature1 Feature2 Feature3 2000 0.5 8.3 10 2000 ...

Pie Chart from data
Hi, I am trying to create a pie chart from the below data just to show the percentages of what work orders are maj, med and min. How do I set this up!! Thanks in Advance!!! how can i create a pie char By following the directions within the Chart Wizard. -- Regards, Tushar Mehta, MS MVP -- Excel www.tushar-mehta.com Excel, PowerPoint, and VBA add-ins, tutorials Custom MS Office productivity solutions In article <9265C290-B0B6-4CAD-B909-5EDFCE7DC415@microsoft.com>, anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com says... > how can i create a pie chart > > ...

How to Identify Changes In Two Work Sheets
I have two different dated inventory lists with 3,074 of identical line items. I want to determine the "items" that have "sold units" from two lists since they reflect ending inventory on separate dates. I want to create a new work sheet with those "items" only whose ending units are different from the units on the first ending report. The items are in the Desc 1 column in both work sheets along with their vendor code, size & quantity. Assume worksheet 1 is dated 10-18-06 and worksheet 2 is dated 10-22-06. Worksheet 1: Columns: C = VC (vendor code) , D...

Varying data ranges
Hi, I am preparing a large number of identical reports on Excel fro imported data of varying sizes (e.g. some imported data is 400 row long, some 600, but all have the same number of columns). I hav recorded macros to take the data from its raw form to its complete form in order to releive the repetitive nature of this process, howeve the macro does not take into account the varying sizes of the raw data even when I use the Ctrl+Shft+End command. I am left with a lot o manual 'tidying up' of the reports after the macros have run. I have around 1,800 reports to complete so if ther...

changing data
Please can someone tell me how to do an automatic change all the way down a column. For example, i have a list of applications throughout a spreasheet as follows Approach, Eurosys, Oscar, Pivot_Pro Pivot_Pro, Oscar, Approach, i need to change exery occurance of Pivot_Pro to Pivot (Dual) how will i do this please help? Hi Press <Ctrl><H> In the find box, type in the existing name, in the change to box, type the new name, click on Change All, and its done -- j.kasselman@atlantic.net.remove_2nd_at. Randburg, Gauteng, South Africa "danzelindistress" wrote: &...

Baffled by missing data on printout
I have a bunch of subforms that the user will fill out from a main form. I then save all that data into a local table, then read it back from a report. The report loads the same subforms which reload the data. All that is working fine on screen, and on print preview. Then, when sent to a printer, all te text boxes are blank! What could *possibly* cause this? I switched printers, used a pdf output printer (save to disk in PDF), and with same results. Any ideas? Rick wrote: > I have a bunch of subforms that the user will fill out from a main > form. I then save all t...