cycle through n files

I've got a series of operations to do on n excel files
the directory is the same..the names of the files are
0001..0002...0003...0004..until 0067
How can I do that through a macro??

0
rossy77 (25)
4/12/2006 11:15:32 AM
excel 39879 articles. 2 followers. Follow

Hi

I have examples here
http://www.rondebruin.nl/tips.htm

If you need help post back

--
Regards Ron de Bruin
http://www.rondebruin.nl

"Rossella" <rossy77@gmail.com> wrote in message news:1144840532.042950.93010@i39g2000cwa.googlegroups.com...
> I've got a series of operations to do on n excel files
> the directory is the same..the names of the files are
> 0001..0002...0003...0004..until 0067
> How can I do that through a macro??

0
rondebruin (3789)
4/12/2006 11:55:31 AM
the problem is that files are 0001..0002..and so on until 0100.

0
rossy77 (25)
4/12/2006 1:13:22 PM
> the problem is that files are 0001..0002..and so on until 0100.

Why problem ?

The code examples loop through all files in the folder

Wat do you want to do?

--
Regards Ron de Bruin
http://www.rondebruin.nl

"Rossella" <rossy77@gmail.com> wrote in message news:1144847602.064147.25450@i39g2000cwa.googlegroups.com...
> the problem is that files are 0001..0002..and so on until 0100.

0
rondebruin (3789)
4/12/2006 1:23:09 PM
I've got files I don't want to cycle into..

0
rossy77 (25)
4/12/2006 1:44:10 PM
Give more information

Which files not?

--
Regards Ron de Bruin
http://www.rondebruin.nl

"Rossella" <rossy77@gmail.com> wrote in message news:1144849450.661441.219120@v46g2000cwv.googlegroups.com...
> I've got files I don't want to cycle into..

0
rondebruin (3789)
4/12/2006 1:53:52 PM
Files that are not 0001 ..0002 ..

0
rossy77 (25)
4/12/2006 2:07:17 PM
Try this

If the first four characters are numeric it use the file in the loop
It use the folder C:\Data

Sub Example1()
    Dim basebook As Workbook
    Dim mybook As Workbook
    Dim sourceRange As Range
    Dim destrange As Range
    Dim rnum As Long
    Dim SourceRcount As Long
    Dim FNames As String
    Dim MyPath As String
    Dim SaveDriveDir As String

    SaveDriveDir = CurDir
    MyPath = "C:\Data"
    ChDrive MyPath
    ChDir MyPath

    FNames = Dir("*.xls")
    If Len(FNames) = 0 Then
        MsgBox "No files in the Directory"
        ChDrive SaveDriveDir
        ChDir SaveDriveDir
        Exit Sub
    End If

    Application.ScreenUpdating = False
    Set basebook = ThisWorkbook
    basebook.Worksheets(1).Cells.Clear
    'clear all cells on the first sheet
    rnum = 1

    Do While FNames <> ""
        If IsNumeric(Left(FNames, 4)) Then
            Set mybook = Workbooks.Open(FNames)
           'Your code
           MsgBox FNames
            mybook.Close False
        End If

        FNames = Dir()
    Loop
    ChDrive SaveDriveDir
    ChDir SaveDriveDir
    Application.ScreenUpdating = True
End Sub

--
Regards Ron de Bruin
http://www.rondebruin.nl

"Rossella" <rossy77@gmail.com> wrote in message news:1144850837.412243.302760@i39g2000cwa.googlegroups.com...
> Files that are not 0001 ..0002 ..

0
rondebruin (3789)
4/12/2006 2:34:44 PM
thanks..I'll try this at home tonight

0
rossy77 (25)
4/12/2006 2:56:42 PM
is this right?
Sub Prova()
Dim basebook As Workbook
Dim mybook As Workbook
Dim sourcerange As Range
Dim destrange As Range
Dim rnum As Long
Dim sourceRcount As Long
Dim Fnames As String
Dim mypath As String

Dim SaveDrivedir As String
SaveDrivedir = CurDir
mypath = "C:\prova"
ChDrive mypath
ChDir mypath

Fnames = ("*.xls")
If Len(Fnames) = 0 Then
MsgBox "Non ci sono file nella directory"
ChDrive SaveDrivedir
ChDir SaveDrivedir
Exit Sub
End If

Application.ScreenUpdating = False
Set basebook = ThisWorkbook
rnum = 1

Do While Fnames <> ""
If IsNumeric(Left(Fnames, 4)) Then
Selection.Copy
Set mybook = Workbooks.Open(Fnames)
Sheets("Febbraio").Select
    Range("A1").Select
    ActiveSheet.Paste
    Sheets("Gennaio").Select
    Range("A1").Select
    ActiveSheet.Paste
    Sheets("Marzo").Select
    Range("A1").Select
    ActiveSheet.Paste
    Application.CutCopyMode = False
    ActiveWorkbook.Save
    ActiveWindow.Close
    ActiveWorkbook.Save

  MsgBox Fnames
  mybook.Close False
  End If

Fnames = Dir()
Loop
ChDrive SaveDrivedir
ChDir SaveDrivedir
Application.ScreenUpdating = True
End Sub

0
rossy77 (25)
4/13/2006 1:18:39 PM
You want to copy the selection to all workbooks in the folder where the first
four characters are numeric.

Then Try this with a few test files in a folder

see also
http://www.rondebruin.nl/copy4.htm

Sub Prova_test1()
    Dim basebook As Workbook
    Dim mybook As Workbook
    Dim Fnames As String
    Dim mypath As String
    Dim rng As Range
    Dim SaveDrivedir As String

    SaveDrivedir = CurDir
    mypath = "C:\prova"
    ChDrive mypath
    ChDir mypath

    Fnames = ("*.xls")
    If Len(Fnames) = 0 Then
        MsgBox "Non ci sono file nella directory"
        ChDrive SaveDrivedir
        ChDir SaveDrivedir
        Exit Sub
    End If

    Application.ScreenUpdating = False
    Set basebook = ThisWorkbook

    Set rng = Selection

    Do While Fnames <> ""
        If IsNumeric(Left(Fnames, 4)) Then

            Set mybook = Workbooks.Open(Fnames)

            rng.Copy mybook.Sheets("Febbraio").Range("A1")
            rng.Copy mybook.Sheets("Gennaio").Range("A1")
            rng.Copy mybook.Sheets("Marzo").Range("A1")

            mybook.Close True 'save the file

"Rossella" <rossy77@gmail.com> wrote in message news:1144934319.385746.39610@z34g2000cwc.googlegroups.com...
> is this right?
> Sub Prova()
> Dim basebook As Workbook
> Dim mybook As Workbook
> Dim sourcerange As Range
> Dim destrange As Range
> Dim rnum As Long
> Dim sourceRcount As Long
> Dim Fnames As String
> Dim mypath As String
>

> Dim SaveDrivedir As String
> SaveDrivedir = CurDir
> mypath = "C:\prova"
> ChDrive mypath
> ChDir mypath
>
> Fnames = ("*.xls")
> If Len(Fnames) = 0 Then
> MsgBox "Non ci sono file nella directory"
> ChDrive SaveDrivedir
> ChDir SaveDrivedir
> Exit Sub
> End If
>
> Application.ScreenUpdating = False
> Set basebook = ThisWorkbook
> rnum = 1
>
> Do While Fnames <> ""
> If IsNumeric(Left(Fnames, 4)) Then
> Selection.Copy
> Set mybook = Workbooks.Open(Fnames)
> Sheets("Febbraio").Select
>    Range("A1").Select
>    ActiveSheet.Paste
>    Sheets("Gennaio").Select
>    Range("A1").Select
>    ActiveSheet.Paste
>    Sheets("Marzo").Select
>    Range("A1").Select
>    ActiveSheet.Paste
>    Application.CutCopyMode = False
>    ActiveWorkbook.Save
>    ActiveWindow.Close
>    ActiveWorkbook.Save
>
>  MsgBox Fnames
>  mybook.Close False
>  End If
>
> Fnames = Dir()
> Loop
> ChDrive SaveDrivedir
> ChDir SaveDrivedir
> Application.ScreenUpdating = True
> End Sub

0
rondebruin (3789)
4/13/2006 7:34:05 PM
thanks

0
rossy77 (25)
4/14/2006 9:51:48 AM
I got an error message (error 5)
routine call not valid

0
rossy77 (25)
4/14/2006 10:04:11 AM
I not test it and now I see you change the code from my first example

Use this

"Ron de Bruin" <rondebruin@kabelfoon.nl> wrote in message news:OCPu8EzXGHA.4248@TK2MSFTNGP05.phx.gbl...
> You want to copy the selection to all workbooks in the folder where the first
> four characters are numeric.
>
> Then Try this with a few test files in a folder
>
> see also
> http://www.rondebruin.nl/copy4.htm
>

> Sub Prova_test1()
>    Dim basebook As Workbook
>    Dim mybook As Workbook
>    Dim Fnames As String
>    Dim mypath As String
>    Dim rng As Range
>    Dim SaveDrivedir As String
>
>    SaveDrivedir = CurDir
>    mypath = "C:\prova"
>    ChDrive mypath
>    ChDir mypath
>
>    Fnames = ("*.xls")
>    If Len(Fnames) = 0 Then
>        MsgBox "Non ci sono file nella directory"
>        ChDrive SaveDrivedir
>        ChDir SaveDrivedir
>        Exit Sub
>    End If
>
>    Application.ScreenUpdating = False
>    Set basebook = ThisWorkbook
>
>    Set rng = Selection
>
>    Do While Fnames <> ""
>        If IsNumeric(Left(Fnames, 4)) Then
>
>            Set mybook = Workbooks.Open(Fnames)
>
>            rng.Copy mybook.Sheets("Febbraio").Range("A1")
>            rng.Copy mybook.Sheets("Gennaio").Range("A1")
>            rng.Copy mybook.Sheets("Marzo").Range("A1")
>
>            mybook.Close True 'save the file
>        End If
>
>        Fnames = Dir()
>    Loop
>    ChDrive SaveDrivedir
>    ChDir SaveDrivedir
>    Application.ScreenUpdating = True
> End Sub
>

> --
> Regards Ron de Bruin
> http://www.rondebruin.nl
>

> "Rossella" <rossy77@gmail.com> wrote in message news:1144934319.385746.39610@z34g2000cwc.googlegroups.com...
>> is this right?
>> Sub Prova()
>> Dim basebook As Workbook
>> Dim mybook As Workbook
>> Dim sourcerange As Range
>> Dim destrange As Range
>> Dim rnum As Long
>> Dim sourceRcount As Long
>> Dim Fnames As String
>> Dim mypath As String
>>

>> Dim SaveDrivedir As String
>> SaveDrivedir = CurDir
>> mypath = "C:\prova"
>> ChDrive mypath
>> ChDir mypath
>>
>> Fnames = ("*.xls")
>> If Len(Fnames) = 0 Then
>> MsgBox "Non ci sono file nella directory"
> [...]

0
rondebruin (3789)

.oft file?
I get the following message when I try and set up BCM. Your. oft file for message class IPM.contact.BCM.Account has a wrong version. Request version 2.00.3123.0, .oft form version 1.00.1616.00. Where and how do I get the version that I need? Thanks -- Lykurgo Posted from - http://www.officehelp.i Have you checked on Office/Microsoft Update to see if you have the latest SP version for BCM? -- Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook] Post all replies to the group to keep the discussion intact. All unsolicited mail sent to my personal account will be deleted without reading. After furious head sc...

finding all empty excel files in a folder.
have a windows xp directory and in which hundereds of excel fil resides. Some of those files are empty. is there a code any one of yo all have that can search through the entire directory and find al those files and highlight them or move them to another folder. I woul truly appreciate some help here. Thanks. Stasi -- jackm ----------------------------------------------------------------------- jackm1's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=2539 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=38872 Stasi, What does "Empty&qu...

Write XML to object not a file
Still new to .Net so bare with me. Working on a client/server app. But I'm trying to build an XML file on the fly (without writing to a file) using data from my application. This info includes IP address, Port, GUID, etc. I can write to a file with no problem. But I want to output to some kind of object which I can then serialize and send across the wire to the server, which will then de-serialize it and read it. Any any ideas on how I would output the XmlTextWriter to an object so it'll be ready for serialization? thanks You may want to investigate using the XmlSerializer. ...

Not playing some files
I have Vista Home Premium with SP 2 installed WMP is Version 11.0.6002.18111 My player will play some files but not others. The files are either mp3, wma or wav. but the player will play some of the group but not others of the same group. It doesn't seem to distinguish. In other words it seems to take pot luckas to whether it will play a file or not. WMP is the default player Can you help please? On Tue, 23 Mar 2010 02:40:01 -0700, Brian S <Brian S@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: > >I have Vista Home Premium with SP 2 installed > >WMP is...

Cycle
Why cycle (all records) not work on my form I set data entry = Yes The form based on query == Query Criteria is Forms!FormName!ControlName (The ControlName is on the form) We aren't there. We don't know what query you are using. Please post the SQL-statement of your query. Regards Jeff Boyce Microsoft Office/Access MVP "a" <a@a.net> wrote in message news:uRwhikeYIHA.220@TK2MSFTNGP04.phx.gbl... > Why cycle (all records) not work on my form > > I set data entry = Yes > > The form based on query == Query Criteria is > > Forms!FormName!Co...

Excel97 changing XLS file time
On some files Excel97 changes the file time even when I don't save the file - I just open and close the file and the time is updated. Running on Win2k SP3. Any suggestions? Thanks Vaclav Hi Vaclav! This means that you probably have volatile functions in the workbook that get calculated on opening. Here's what Charles Williams says: Some of Excel's functions are obviously volatile: RAND(), NOW(), TODAY() Others are less obviously volatile: OFFSET(), CELL(), INDIRECT(), INFO() (although the CELL("Filename") function is not volatile) Some are volatile in some versi...

"..." in file name path
I remember there was one API function that would make long paths short by inserting "..." in path: c:\program files\...\my.xml but I can't remember func name? Try PathCompactPath(Ex) shell functions. "Petar Popara" <my.fake@mail.net> wrote in message news:%23qRW2%23$6EHA.3596@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl... > > I remember there was one API function that would make long paths short > by inserting "..." in path: > > c:\program files\...\my.xml > > but I can't remember func name? > Try to avoid ever doing thi...

2 Different Application Data Files holding MDBData files
I'm running Small Business Server 2000, which uses MS Exchange 2000, on our one and only server. My main job here is bookkeeper, but they let me play with the server since I have my MCSA. I don't take care of the server like I should because of time constraints. Back in January the Exchange files dismounted. I hurriedly figured out what had happened and got the thing remounted and everyone got their emails. Lots of stuff was lost, but we trudged on. As I am leaving the agency soon, I would like to get the stuff back the way it should be. Apparently the "lost stuff&qu...

xl file
I created an .xl file with multiple sheets once. I made changes to it and merged the two. Now when I open the file a pop-up says this is linked to another workbook, do I want to update the other workbook? The answer will always be No. How do I get rid of this pesky pop-up from asking this question? I'd use Bill Manville's FindLink program: http://www.bmsltd.ie/MVP/Default.htm Then I could decide what to do (convert to values??). De Ward wrote: > > I created an .xl file with multiple sheets once. I made > changes to it and merged the two. Now when I open the &g...

HELP: importing .cvs file intpo Excel 2010
Hi all; I need to import a mis-behaved csv data file into Excel 2010. The cvs file is too large to edit by hand. The csv file produced by the website looks like this: 2010-12-04 00:01:00,48.8,47.2,29.6, ...... 2010-12-04 00:02:00,48.8,47.2,29.6, ...... 2010-12-04 00:03:00,48.8,47.2,29.6, ...... etc. Note the space between the date and time, but commas everwyere else. When I import to Notepad, it looks like this: 2010-12-04 00:01:00,48.8,47.2,29.96,NNW,344,0.0,0.0,94,0.00,RA,,0.00,WeatherDisplay:10.37, 2010-12-04 00:02:00,48.8,47.2,29.96,NNW,344,0.0,0.0,94,0.00,RA,,0.00,WeatherDisplay:10...

Protecting/locking individual cells? + not displaying #N/A on cel
HI, My spreadsheet is using Vookup formulas and I would like to protect the cells with the formulas from others changing them but still alow the oter cells to be free . Such C1 free to place a number that will allow the protected B1 (which has the look up formulae) to have the resulting detail from the look up -locked/protected. ALSO- I have then copied the formulae down to the page and some cells will not have all the time an item in them so now they are showing the #N/A - can this be not displayed? Ta Mike On Sep 10, 8:47=A0am, MikeR-Oz <Mike...@discussions.microsoft.com> w...

"Some files on this volume could not be defragmented."
Here's the message after running Defrag: Defragmentation is complete for: (C:) Some files on this volume could not be defragmented. Please check the defragmentation report for the list of these files. However, the defragmentation report "list" is empty. I've never encountered this before. Is there anything I can or should do to "fix" this defrag process? On Jan 21, 6:53=A0pm, "JD" <ereh...@example.com> wrote: > Here's the message after running Defrag: > Defragmentation is complete for: (C:) > Some files on this volume...

downloading files from http server
hi! i've got following problem: i have to download a .dat file from http server. I'm trying to do this using CHttpFile. When the file has extension like .htm or html evetithing works fine, but when m change the extension to ..dat the program throws exception (place: pFile->SeekToEnd() - i'm doing this to get file size). How to correct this kind error? How about using URLDownloadToFile? Its rather straightforward. -- Ajay Kalra [MVP - VC++] ajaykalra@yahoo.com "menkaur" <menkaur@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:22491173-E754-4958-B181-9E700...

Excel 2007 - Data May Be Lost
I am one of the first people in my organisation to have Office 2007 installed - the majority of other users are still on Office 2003. As a result, I have to keep all my workbooks in Office 2003 format. The problem I have is that the message 'File error: Data my be lost' is frequently displayed when I open one of these workbooks and then several formulae are replaced with '#N/A'. I then have to go through and re-enter all the formulae. It's worth noting that this doesn't happen every time I open a workbook but after it's happened to a particular workbook once it wil...

File Conversion
I have a MS Word Doc made up of a multi page table. How can I import it into Excel w/o converters? Thanks for the assistance. Dewayne, You may find copy/paste a workable way. -- Earl Kiosterud mvpearl omitthisword at verizon period net ------------------------------------------- "Dewayne" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:2a02d01c46606$13acb8a0$a501280a@phx.gbl... > I have a MS Word Doc made up of a multi page table. How > can I import it into Excel w/o converters? > Thanks for the assistance. ...

How do I make a graph with 2-cycle X 3-cycle log-log graph paper?
I need to create a graph that uses 2-cycle by 3-cycle log-log graph paper. I was told that Excel can be used to do this. However, after fiddling around with it for an hour, I have been unable to figure out how to do it. Any suggestions? Charles A. Wilson - The only Excel chart type that supports log-log is the XY (Scatter) chart type. If more "fiddling around" with an XY (Scatter) chart doesn't yield results for you, post again with your problem and your version of Excel. - Mike http://www.MikeMiddleton.com "Charles A. Wilson" <Cha...

exporting .pst file
I would like to export email items in my personal data file to Word or Excel format. When I use the export feature, it does not include the email attachments. Is there a way to export personal folders to include attachments with their corresponding email text? "kathy" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:58c601c3db97$155bfac0$7d02280a@phx.gbl... > I would like to export email items in my personal data > file to Word or Excel format. When I use the export > feature, it does not include the email attachments. Is > there a way to export ...

Load Arabic character from Ansi file #2
Dear All, I am currently devoloping an _Unicode application using vc++ 8. I ask if anyone can help me, because I am using Ansi text files which store Arabic Text. This text can't be inderstood when I load it for example in a richedit. like this string "=C7=E1=E4=C7=D6=E6=D1". Best regards. If you have to use 8-bit text files, use UTF-8 encoding. Then convert the text to UTF-16. <mohamed.mzid@gmail.com> wrote in message news:1148240118.795169.21330@j55g2000cwa.googlegroups.com... Dear All, I am currently devoloping an _Unicode application using vc++ 8. I ask if anyone...

TLB in Chunk file problem
Hi, i create dll using Vb.net and i make it TLB using REGASM tool then i add it to my development dic as LIB, in test mode it is working probably but when i create chunk file ,"Extract from development dic then Auto Chunk " and put the chunk file in GP folder , when i try to test my dll it raise the following error "Unhandled object exception: The system cannot find the file specified." your answers is really appreciated ...

Converting excel to text file
Hi, I want to convert an excel file to a .prn file. Here I need to retain the column width of all the columns in the excel as it is. I could do that by changing the autoformat to None. But the issue is when i try to save it as .prn file, it wraps up the text in the .prn file. the maximum length it goes without wrapping in the notepad is 236 character size. I am not really sure how to convert it to a .prn file retain column width without the wrapping in the text file. any suggestions would be highly appreciated. Thanks, Giri --- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com/ How do y...

Cycle RR problem
I've just run the cycle RR in Project Account for the first time and have found several problems: GP is mixing up client projects on the same RR window Skips RR documents so I've lost my audit trail Doesn't start a new doc for each contract, as specified in the Cycle instruction And a few other things. Has anyone else had these problems? ...

2003: Use checkboxes to select files ??
I have had an unusual request, and am not too strong with VBA. I need to build a form where there will be several files, each preceded with a Checkbox. Whatever checkboxes are checked will cause them to be printed (press a command button after checking the boxes of files to print). These files will be Word documents. [x] One.doc [ ] two.doc [x] three.doc [PRESS TO PRINT] So, the user could select the first and third files, and not the second. The one.doc and three.doc files would print. How do I build the array of selected files and get them to print?? Any help would be appreciated ver...

How do I open .pst files from windows if I am working offline
I am not connected to my network and can't open outlook. I want to open the ..pst file which is located at the following file path: C:\Documents and Settings\rosanna\My Documents\My outlook files It asks me what I want to open it with and I have no idea Rosanna wrote: > I am not connected to my network and can't open outlook. I want to open the > .pst file which is located at the following file path: > > C:\Documents and Settings\rosanna\My Documents\My outlook files > > It asks me what I want to open it with and I have no idea ..pst files are ...

Convert 16 bit files to 32 bit files?
How can I convert 16 bit files to 32 bit files? Evan If you are talking just converting a few files I'd use Notepad. Open the file, change the type, and save it. Tom "Evan" <hurdevan@gmail.com> wrote in message news:1168888174.387049.179300@m58g2000cwm.googlegroups.com... > How can I convert 16 bit files to 32 bit files? > > Evan > Evan wrote: > How can I convert 16 bit files to 32 bit files? > > Evan > Evan: What are 16-bit and 32-bit files? Perhaps you mean 8-bit and 16-bit text files? David Wilkinson ...

Best wa to Read, Write/Create XML-Files
Hello, I have to solve the following task: - create an editor-application in c# to read, modify and create xml-files - .xsd-schema-file is available and can be used Currently, I am thinking of the following way to do the job: - use xsd.exe to create basic c#-classes from xsd.file (modify these classes according to my particular needs) - read xml-file and create according object-hyrarchie with the classes (READ) - serialize the classes to create xml-file (WRITE) Is this a good way to do the job? Do you have better suggestions? Is it necessary to create static classes from the xsd-file (us...