Current Year to display in text

Is there a way to get the current year to display in a title if there is
other text with it?

For example:
I have a sheet with the following text in it: 2011 Benefit Time

I'm looking for a way have just the year update itself at the change of
the new year so when someone opens a blank form in 2012, it will read
2012 Benefit Time

Again, the title is all in once cell with it centered. I would rather
not place the date in the cell by itself. Is there a way to insert just
a date prior to text inside a cell? Or Is there an insert date option
like in MS word?
0
stoojz3 (14)
6/23/2011 6:49:25 PM
excel 39879 articles. 2 followers. Follow

Hi Gadgetman,

Am Thu, 23 Jun 2011 14:49:25 -0400 schrieb Gadgetman:

> I'm looking for a way have just the year update itself at the change of
> the new year so when someone opens a blank form in 2012, it will read
> 2012 Benefit Time

try this:
=YEAR(TODAY())&" Benefit Time"

Regards
Claus Busch
--
Win XP PRof SP2 / Vista Ultimate SP2
Office 2003 SP2 /2007 Ultimate SP2

In article <iu020r$s55$1@news.albasani.net>,
 Claus Busch <claus_busch@t-online.de> wrote:

> Hi Gadgetman,
>
> Am Thu, 23 Jun 2011 14:49:25 -0400 schrieb Gadgetman:
>
> > I'm looking for a way have just the year update itself at the change of
> > the new year so when someone opens a blank form in 2012, it will read
> > 2012 Benefit Time
>
> try this:
> =YEAR(TODAY())&" Benefit Time"
>

> Regards
> Claus Busch
0
stoojz3 (14)
6/23/2011 7:07:16 PM
>> WORKED! Thank you very much.

I think it might be a mistake to do this with a formula. While the year is
correct right now, next year if you look at the document, the year will be
wrong (it will say it is 2012 when it is not), but there will be no
indication of that. Really, how difficult is it to hard-code the four digit
year into your text constant?

Rick Rothstein (MVP - Excel)

Rick Rothstein used his keyboard to write :
>>> WORKED! Thank you very much.
>
> I think it might be a mistake to do this with a formula. While the year is
> correct right now, next year if you look at the document, the year will be
> wrong (it will say it is 2012 when it is not), but there will be no
> indication of that. Really, how difficult is it to hard-code the four digit
> year into your text constant?
>
> Rick Rothstein (MVP - Excel)

Exactly! I enter the current year for the workbook into a defined name
(global scope) cell ("ThisYear") as a constant and ref that in all
cellssheets that use it.

  Example:
  In the cell using the year:  =ThisYear&" Benefit Time"

--
Garry

gs3102 (378)
6/23/2011 8:44:38 PM
"cellssheets"
  should read
  "cells/sheets"

--
Garry

gs3102 (378)

HELP RE: DISPLAY CHECK NUMBER ON PAYEE REPORT WITH
How do I get a historic payment reoport for a specific payee including check number, date, amount, and payee name? ie: "Car Loan Payment history for the period 1/1/01 thru today" Payee: Check # : Date: Amount: (and perhaps a running total or a final total) I think I have tried all the built in reports and can't find one to do this or modify existing to do this. I see this information in the "view payee details" window, listed in the format I require but when I select PRINT all that prints is the bar graph that is also displayed on this page. I ca...

Using text boxes and command buttons to search
hi i am using excel 2000, i have a few columns but the main ones are: Christian Name Surname Employee Number i want to have a text box or combo box at the sheet for each serach, they will only be, Surname and employee number, when i typ in for example bloggs into the surname text box and click the command button "next" i want it to find every entry in the surname column matching the word bloggs, and the same with employee number? but i have no idea how? i have created the text box and button but dont know what to do with them? is this the best way? this is...

changing Length of cell contents (text)
Hi, how can I chang the Length of cell contents (text). Roy Please explain more what you mean by that -- Regards Ron de Bruin (Win XP Pro SP-1 XL2002 SP-2) www.rondebruin.nl "Roy Meron" <Roy.Meron@Sanmina-sci.com> wrote in message news:0cd901c3828b$23999a80$a001280a@phx.gbl... > Hi, > how can I chang the Length of cell contents (text). > > Roy ...

Display Alerts property in MFC
Hi, I am writing an Excel automation program using C++ and MFC. I am setting several properties for the Application class and most are working. However, the DisplayAlerts property is giving me an error. If I step through in the debugger, it works fine. But when I run it, I get the message "Unable to set the Display Alerts property of the Application class". Any ideas??? Here is a code snipet: //Then get the worksheet's application. app = wb.GetApplication(); app.SetDisplayFormulaBar(FALSE); // Works Fine app.SetDisplayAlerts(FALSE); //Gives error message T...

Popup Text Visio 2000
Hello, I am trying to create a popup note on a flowchart and cannot find the Note shape referenced in the Help file. What am I missing? thanks for your support! Never mind. I found that a popup can be made by using Insert, Comments. thanks "~KO" wrote: > Hello, I am trying to create a popup note on a flowchart and cannot find the > Note shape referenced in the Help file. What am I missing? thanks for your > support! ...

How do I replace the last entire word in text cells?
I understand the REPLACE command but it seems restricted to characters or bytes. I this case, I want to replace the last word in all cells but the word is always different (ie. varying number of characters). Thanks in advance! Array entered (CTRL+SHIFT+ENTER), this will work: =LEFT(A1,LEN(A1)-MATCH(" ",MID(A1,LEN(A1)-ROW(INDIRECT("1:"&LEN(A1)))+1,1),0)) Change the reference to A1 to which ever cell you want. -- Regards, Dave "George" wrote: > I understand the REPLACE command but it seems restricted to characters or > bytes. I this case, I wan...

How do I display the "&" in the footer?
Our company name contains the "&" but I cannot get it to appear when I type it in the custom footer. IE: Shoes & Socks Inc. appears as "Shoes Socks Inc. We have Office 200 & Office XP and it happens in both versions of Excel. Hi Que_66! Use: Shoes && Socks Inc. -- Regards Norman Harker MVP (Excel) Sydney, Australia njharker@optusnet.com.au Excel and Word Function Lists (Classifications, Syntax and Arguments) available free to good homes. "Que_66" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:9B40E2F6-A8B5-4F04-84AA-6A6C1B16A...

How to convert normal/inactive URL text into active ones
In my spreadsheet, in column L, I have about 15,000 rows of non-active links e.g. http://www.site1.com http://www.site2.com http://www.site3.com : I want to convert all of these 15,000 'non-active links' rows into active links, one painful way is to select each row and hit the 'Enter' key to turn the row into an active link, but 15,000 rows arre too many, how to do this the easy way? I'd just use another column with a formula like: =hyperlink(a1) and drag down (maybe hide that original column) raider wrote: > > In my spreadsheet, in column L, I have about 15,...

Data conversion: Text to Numeric to Support Averaging
I have a mix of grades (academic achievement) in numeric (98, 86, etc.) and text (A, B+, etc.) format that I need to average for a final grade. While I can use LOOKUP variants to display the text as numeric, I have yet to figure out how to manipulate the text so it can be AVERAGEd with the numeric data. I am not totally new to Excel; however, I figured there are smarter folks in the community that may have already wrestled this issue into a solution. Congratulations! Please share your results...thank you! You'll need to first create a helper column. Assuming you have a looku...

Outlook 2003 email and preview pane text size
Is there any way to control the size of text for people reading non-plain-text incoming email messages -- either through the reading pane or by opening the messages? Some text comes in so small people are having a terrible time reading it. Thanks! There is a setting in tools, options, mail format, font to force your settings to override stationery settings. you can also right click on the gray border of the reading pane and change the font size - it uses the size set in IE by default. -- Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook] Author, Teach Yourself Outlook 2003 in 24 Hours Coauthor, OneNote ...

Splitting out a wrapped text entry
Hello, I have a column of over 600 addresses, and they are entered as follows: 1 Luke Road Luke Town Luke City Lukeshire LU1 1KE When unwrapped, it obviously just looks like one long sentence with squares where the (ALT+Enter)'s were. My issue is that I would like to split each line of the address out into adjacent columns. Any help would be gratefully received, and save me a few hours of manually typing in commas so that I can TTC it! -- Thanks Luke Luke if every address is in 5 lines than you can do the following: A B C D...

Properties Won't Display
Not sure what I have done, but when I try to open the properties for any item in my database nothing happens. I am using Access 2007. Thanks jutlaux, Wee bit more information... Are you in Design Mode? What hapens when you try to open the Properties window, error message? What items are you trying to open the Properties window for? Because not all items have a Properties window. -- Gina Whipp "I feel I have been denied critical, need to know, information!" - Tremors II http://www.regina-whipp.com/index_files/TipList.htm "jutlaux" <jut...

How to get Outlook to obey my PLAIN TEXT preference?
I have outlook set to use plain text format and that works when creating an email. However, when I get HTML formatted emails, it still displays as HTML formatted and hitting reply tries to reply in HTML format. I then have to click on OPTIONS and PLAIN TEXT which does convert it back to plain text, but then I loose my quoting brackets (>) Is there any way to get Outlook to force everything into plain text mode? -Darrel darrel, you wrote on Fri, 8 Aug 2008 08:10:23 -0500: > Is there any way to get Outlook to force everything into plain text mode? Which Outlook version are yo...

YEAR END CLOSING
I TRIED TO RUN YEAR END AND GREAT PLAINS TELLS ME THAT 2004 HAS ALREDY BEEN CLOSED HOW IS THIS POSSIBLE IF I HAVE NOT MANALLY CLOSED IT YET IT CAN I RUN IT A SECOND TIME? HELP. -- DJohnson Maybe the year was closed twice by accident. The year- end closing instructions state to click close the year only once, even if it appears to have stopped processing. If 2004 was closed, try posting a test transaction in to an income statement account and see if the print of the transaction shows the retained earnings adjustment. >-----Original Message----- >I TRIED TO RUN YEAR END AND GRE...

How to set default delimiter for text files...
Hello, Database produces output files as text delimited files with CSV extension. Problem is that different versions of ms excel has different default delimiter: comma or semicolon. How to configure ms-excel: default field separator (delimiter), to be the same on all workstations opening these files ? Open must be full automatic - just by clicking CSV file in the explorer, users are not a gurus.. Thanks and regards, GG On Thu, 8 Jul 2004 13:33:21 +0200, "GG" <iksio1@no_spam.gazeta.pl> wrote: >Hello, > >Database produces output files as text delimited files with C...

weird text symbols
When inserting bullets, my text is changed to symbols...help! You didn't give us a lot to go on, but my first guess is that the style that is applied to bulleted text (possibly List Paragraph) is formatted as a symbol font (Wingdings, Webdings, Symbol, etc.). Check the style, and if it's a strange font, modify the style to use your standard font. If that isn't it, post back with more information (what version of Word, how you're applying bullets, etc.). "EMAW 2010" wrote: > When inserting bullets, my text is changed to symbols...help! ...

how to select text on slide to appear in order audience responds
If you have 1-7 bullets or lines of text in one slide and you want it select the bullet/line as your audience responses - how do you do that? From my earlier posting:- PowerPoint 2007 Take the following actions:- 1. Launch PowerPoint. 2. Blank Presentation opens. 3. Home tab / Slides group / click on drop down arrow to the right of New Slide / click on Title and Content / slide number 2 should get added to the Presentation. 4. In slide 2 click to the right of:- Click to add text Add 4 bullet points calling them:- Point 1 Point 2 Point 3 Point 4 ...

Make a text file from Excel workbook
Is it possible to create a formatted text file from Excel work book? By stating "formatted", I mean that the output file should be having a pagewise report header, column headings etc. Like those reports which we generate using COBOL, Dbase etc. Regards, Ramana Murthy Hi not supported as build-in function. Why not create a PDF file? -- Regards Frank Kabel Frankfurt, Germany "Ramana Murthy" <murthyavr@hotmail.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag news:u4jbIwO8EHA.824@TK2MSFTNGP11.phx.gbl... > Is it possible to create a formatted text file from Excel work book? > &...

How do I add an active URL to a 2007 MS Word form text field?
How do I add an active URL to a 2007 MS Word form text field? -- jmac The short answer is that you don't. These are 'text' fields. What exactly are you trying to achieve? -- <>>< ><<> ><<> <>>< ><<> <>>< <>><<> Graham Mayor - Word MVP My web site www.gmayor.com Word MVP web site http://word.mvps.org <>>< ><<> ><<> <>>< ><<> <>>< <>><<> jmac wrote: > How do I add an active URL t...

Display of Date in Linked Cell
I have a spreadsheet I'm using as a summary of other sheets in the same book. I have linked cells formatted for dates. Even though there are no dates yet in the cells of the other sheets, the summary sheet shows 1/1/1900. Is there any way to set it up to show a date only when there is one in the linked cell? -- Thanks your receiving cell doesnt have to be formatted as date,but it will show 0 if there is no date in the sending cell.Try =if(<sending cell>="","",<sending cell>) in your receiving cell -- paul remove nospam for email addy! "Nut...

Calculating number of Saturday's in a Year
Hi - How can I calculate the number of Saturday's between two dates (sa 4/1/2005 and 3/31/2006)? Thanks! Eric -- ecurn ----------------------------------------------------------------------- ecurns's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=2975 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=49467 Assume your first date is in A1 (4/1/2005) and your second date is in A2 (3/31/2006), use the following formula (Note, this is an array formula so confirm it with CTRL+SHIFT+ENTER). =SUM(--(WEEKDAY(A1+ROW(INDIRECT("1:"&a...

How to make an Arabic display in my exe
A friend of mine is developing a program for golbalization, his boss asked him to make his software interface with Arabic language.But he can't shift his interface between English with Arabic,so he ask me. But I also can't it.Could you give me a hand? In article <Ohicqt6xDHA.2500@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl>, "question" <me@mycompany.com> wrote: > A friend of mine is developing a program for golbalization, his boss >asked him to make his software interface with Arabic language.But he can't >shift his interface between English with Arabic,so ...

Convert text to number
Any one know how to convert text to number, thanks eg: 1000 (text) to 1000 (number) You can go to <format <cell <number tab and select (number insteadof text) OR You can copy and special paste the value. >-----Original Message----- >Any one know how to convert text to number, thanks > >eg: 1000 (text) to 1000 (number) >. > Copy an empty cell. Select range of data. Paste Special>Add>OK>esc. Gord Dibben Excel MVP - XL97 SR2 & XL2002 On Thu, 24 Jul 2003 10:53:09 -0700, "DW" <kw_02169@yahoo.com> wrote: >Any one know how to con...

Appending Only New Data to a current Table
Hi, I have a query that appends data to a table. This works fine however I only want new records that have been collected to be appended - at the moment it keeps appending thousands of records every time the query is run. I do remember reading something about this but I have lost documentation on it. If anyone could point me in the right direction I would be most grateful. Cheers, GLT. You might consider posting the SQL of the append query (MENU View SQL). Also, tell us how one identifies NEW records in the source. By date range, by matching fields between the source table and the...

Input text message (dialog box) for data validation
Hello all: This may sound idiotic to some, but I've already been wasting too much time with this option, and am looking for some guru insight. I am trying to input text into the Data Validation Text Box that looks something like this: ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Q3) Was this a prospective or retrospective analysis or study documenting the effects of XYZ that compared and reported the data in the Marketing Strategy Program? a) Yes b) No c) This appears to be a concise comparison, but ot...