Curious Database Query Question

When creating a "New Database Query" from another Excel workbook, when you
get to the "Select Workbook" dialog, there is a small checkbox labelled
"Read Only".

According to the help file, it has this to say:
"To prohibit updates to this file, select the Read Only check box."

I don't understand why this is an issue.  In my understanding, database
query is a one-way transfer of data from the external source to your excel
workbook...if you edit the data in your workbook, that *doesn't* change the
data back in the external source...right?

Am I wrong?  What am I missing here?

Lisa B.
excel 39879 articles. 2 followers. Follow

CRM Database migration to a CRM database
We have a CRM database that is broken, We would like to export all of the data from our CRM database to a new CRM Database. Anyone have a easy or explainable way to do this. Thank you Ouch...... I'd look into "Scribe" software. You might have to have a new system up and ready (ie fresh CRM install), and then migrate the data over using Scribe. -Gary "Stephen Crocker" <Stephen Crocker@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:09A232A0-75C0-431C-9B97-A6D956232E20@microsoft.com... > We have a CRM database that is broken, We would like to export al...

Passing info into a text field when doing the update query
Hello, I want a text boxt pop up in order to pass the information . The pop up will say : Notes taken by: I want it to do in one go This is my update query: INSERT INTO Catatan ( NO_URTANGT, TGLCATATAN, WKTCATAT, Subject, Notes ) SELECT a.NO_URTANGT, a.TGLCATATAN, a.WKTCATAT, a.Subject, a.Notes FROM [C:\Churchdata\Churchdataconso\BkEnd\Hahomion_be.mdb].Catatan AS a; Thanks for any help. -- Frank Situmorang Separate field for NotesBy: INSERT INTO Catatan ( NO_URTANGT, TGLCATATAN, WKTCATAT, Subject, Notes, NotesBy ) SELECT a.NO_URTANGT, a.TGLCATATAN, a.WKTCATAT, a.Sub...

vlookup and Access Database Table
Can vlookup be used to get a result from an Access Database Table? Thanks. The vlookup function itself is an Excel function and as such can only retrieve data from an excel sheet. However you may be able to use the import external data menu option in the Data menu to retrieve your data from the access database, pull it into your excel workbook and then use the vlookup function. I never tried this myself, but maybe the idea can be applied. -- Jeroen van Nieuwkerk "finster26" wrote: > Can vlookup be used to get a result from an Access Database Table? > > Thanks....

Question about deletiong email
Hi all: I am little confused about the deletion of email. Here are the scenarios: 1. I have received a email ( outlook email) . I promote it as a CRM email, I open the browser version and i can see it. Now if I delete the from Outlook, what will happen to CRM email? will it still be in the history? 2. I have received a email ( outlook email) . I promote it as a CRM email, I open the browser version and i can see it. Now if I delete the from CRM (Browser), what will happen to Outlook email?should it still be there? 3. I receive a CRM email ( client replies back to my CRM email).Now if I ...

General database question
Could someone please give me some input... I need to create a database of my clients....Probably not going to hav more than a couple of thousand entries in a lifetime... However, there are many featuers that I would like to track about eac client first name last name address city state zip phone cell email birthdate spouse name spouse birthdate kids names kids birthdates and a few other fields Is it easier to do this in access rather than excel....the only proble is I know excel much easier than I know access... thanks for any advice.. Jos -- jhahe ---------------------------------...

Outlook question #4
A program is trying to automatically send e-mail on your behalf. Do you want to allow this? If this is unexpected, it may be a virus and you should choose "no". Is there a way to disable this box? The program won't complete with the box waiting for an answer Thanks Ping - You should click "No" if you are not expecting a program that you are using to access Outlook. This box is designed to prevent the spread of email-bound viruses. See this URL: http://www.slipstick.com/outlook/esecup.htm for ideas on how to deal w/ this in your environment. "Ping&q...

compact database at run time
hi How can i compact my access database programmatically .. In MSDN they gave a code like #import "C:\PROGRAM FILES\COMMON FILES\System\ado\Msado15.DLL" #import "C:\PROGRAM FILES\COMMON FILES\System\ado\MSJRO.DLL" no_namespace try { IJetEnginePtr jet(__uuidof(JetEngine)); jet->CompactDatabase( "Provider=Microsoft.Jet.OLEDB.4.0;Data Source=d:\\nwind2.mdb", "Provider=Microsoft.Jet.OLEDB.4.0;Data Source=d:\\abbc.mdb;" \ "Jet OLEDB:Engine Type=4"); } catch(_com_error &e) { ::MessageBox(NULL, (LPCTSTR)e.De...

IIf Statement in Query Criteria 12-11-09
I have the following code in a query: SELECT qryPointsWithDropOffDates.EMPLOYEEID, qryPointsWithDropOffDates.SSN, qryPointsWithDropOffDates.NAME, qryDisciplineNoticesReprint.LASTINCIDENTDATE, qryPointsWithDropOffDates.INCIDENTDATE, qryPointsWithDropOffDates.TYPESHORT, qryPointsWithDropOffDates.POINTVALUE FROM qryDisciplineNoticesReprint INNER JOIN qryPointsWithDropOffDates ON qryDisciplineNoticesReprint.SSN=qryPointsWithDropOffDates.SSN WHERE (((qryPointsWithDropOffDates.INCIDENTDATE) Between [qryDisciplineNoticesReprint.CALCDATE] And [qryDisciplineNoticesReprint.LASTINCIDENTD...

Average If Question #2
We are trying to average the numbers in one column only if they equal any or all of 6 different numbers from a different column (7474, 7921, 8612, 9011, 3945, 2209). We are using this formula, but it seems to be giving us slightly different numbers than if we just pulled the numbers together through sorting and took the average. =AVERAGE(IF(B1:B9={7474, 7921, 8612, 9011, 3945, 2209},C1:C9,FALSE)) Try: =AVERAGE(IF(B1:B9={7474,7921,8612,9011,3945,2209},C1:C9)) Array-entered, meaning press ctrl + shift + enter. HTH Jason Atlanta, GA >-----Original Message----- >We are trying to ...

Navigation Bar Question
When I first started using AC2007 I was having issues with the Navigation Bar not showing the number of records. Either the record number wasn't displayed or the number of records wasn't being displayed. So I abandoned it and used a Text box to show the number of records. Out of curiosity I changed the property of the form's Navigation Buttons to Yes. The Nav Bar seems to be working correctly now! I have upgraded to the SP1 and was wondering if this issue was addressed in SP1. Thanks, James If you want to track down what was fixed in SP1, see: http://support.microsoft.com/?k...

Monitor a staging database
Data is being recieved as XML packages, and the data parsed into staging tables in DatabaseA. We are working on DatabaseB. Once the data is in DatabaseA, we need to somehow grab that data and populate our tables. A way to do this would be to maybe store a 'LastTransactionId' in our database, and every now and again, check DatabaseA for new rows. If there are... maybe store the 'LastTransactionId' into a 'FromId' field, and then the lastest Id in DatabaseA into a 'ToId'... then suck the data with transactions within (and including) FromId to ToId, into ou...

Remove BP tables from Dynamics database
I have a client who is currently running GP 8. I will be upgrading them to GP 10. Back when GP 8 was installed they installed but never used BP. So now the Dynamics database has BP tables in it. I want to completely remove all the BP 2.5 tables so that when I come along to install BP for GP 10 it does not run into any of those old useless BP tables. What is the best way to remove all of the old BP tables? The article 862544 in CustomerSource below includes scripts that should remove the BP SQL objects How to remove Business Portal 2.x https://mbs.microsoft.com/knowledgebase/KbDisplay....

Grab a value from a label to put for critera for attached query
Let me give a little background of table/query structure. I have a query that pulls jobs due Today-now() whose frequency is for today. I have table with the following fields. Job#, Location(ie.what Plant & Floor), Room(ie. mens washroom, storage room, etc.), job Desc., Frequency, est. time, resp.. This table ties in to create a query with another table - Cleaning(when the jobs are actually carried out) Cleaningid, Date Done, Who did the job) and grabs the other fields from the other table. Here goes what I need to get: The people on the floor will have a MAP of the floor ( Form)...

Excel question #6
I have a data set with 538 rows. There's a column of values that if they're less than 4.18, I want to replace it with 0, above 5.76 replace it with 2, and in between replace it with 1. How can I do this without manually typing each one? I googled this and got some info that looked like I'd have to type up some code, but it seems that there should be an easier way. Any help is appreciated - thanks! I'd insert a new column to the right of this column. Then use a formula: =if(a1<4.18,0,if(a1<=5.76,1,2)) or if there could be text: =if(isnumber(a1),if(a1<4.18,0,i...

How to query a dupe.
I have a table with Product_ID and Part_Number I want to find which (if any) Part_Number's have more then 1 Product_ID assigned. I was thinking I could manage this with a relatively simple query but I have had no success. Any suggestions? SELECT product_ID FROM tableName GROUP BY product_ID HAVING COUNT(*) >1 Hoping it may help, Vanderghast, Access MVP "Merlin" <Robert.Cordani@us.schneider-electric.com> wrote in message news:1195070034.168282.273960@57g2000hsv.googlegroups.com... >I have a table with Product_ID and Part_Number > > I want to find which...

Curious about syntax
Hi, I'm curious about some syntax I'm seeing in an object someone wrote used to paginate through a collection. It's all straightforward to me except the last method: System.Collections.IEnumerator System.Collections.IEnumerable.GetEnumerator() { return this.GetEnumerator(); } I'm confused about that System.Collections.IEnumerable.GetEnumerator() definition when the pagination object already defines a GetEnumerator function. Since you can't have an overloaded method if only the return types differ, I'm confused by the voodoo going on her...

Created database set security now won't let me in
I have created a rather simple database. I set up user and group security. I was in Access for hours yesterday with no problem. This morning I try to get in and it says I do not have permissions to contact administrator or creator to give permissions. Is there a way to get in and remove the security settings I placed so I don't have this issue? On Jan 16, 10:18=A0am, p-rat <osupr...@yahoo.com> wrote: > I have created a rather simple database. I set up user and group > security. I was in Access for hours yesterday with no problem. This > morning I try to get in and it says I...

Another Multi-Select question
I am really new to VBA but have been using Access for a while, although I am bit rusty as I haven't used it consistently lately... My question...I would like to use a multi select list box on a form, which I have made so that it LOOKS correct, but I can't make it actually store the data in the underlying table. I am pretty sure I will need to write code to do it, but I am not sure if this is really the solution I am looking for... I need the user to be able to select categories, and then create a report that lists every business that is using that category. So for example... ...

Backup of databases
Is it enough to backup only HQ database or do we have to backup individual store database? If a certain store database goes down, can we restore that store database by exporting it from HQ? If yes, please tell how to do it. Thanks. Raymond Raymond, While I think it can be done, you should be backing up both and having multiple copies of each. -- = "Raymond Cheok" <raymondcheok@fareastflora.com> wrote in message news:BFE451F9.141C7%raymondcheok@fareastflora.com... > Is it enough to backup only HQ database or do we have to backup individual > store database? If a c...

query vs forms
A query looks very similar to a form in datasheet view. Is it possible to call a form from a query if you click on a certain field - or is this only possible using a form. Is is possible to check if a one of two checkboxes has been ticked (say male or female) in a record just by entering the data in a query using some sort of table validation - I know that you can do some limited required field validation. Just wanted to know if this was at all possible because at the moment I am doing all data entry through select queries and it seems to be working Ok, but need to know whether its really nec...

Operation must use an updateable query
When I run an update query within Microsoft Access 2007, the following error message appears: 'Operation must use an updateable query'. Background: The update query is part of a tool with an Access 2007 front end. The tool contains several links to tables containing the underlying data. These tables used to be in another Access 2007 database but I am in the process of moving the underlying data from Access 2007 to SQL Server 2005. So far I have recreated the tables in SQL Server 2005 and redirected the links to the equivalent SQL tables. I am logged into Windows as a user ...

I want to build a database
I would likr to build a database where i can access my movies alphebetically to get number locations to my movies Start by putting your Column headers in row 1. In cell A1 put ItemNumber In cell B1 put MovieTitle In cell C1 put LeadingActor In cell D1 put LeadingActress In cell E1 put CATEGORY In cell F1 put LOCATION In cells G1, etc, put any other Identifications you wish Then just fill in the rows below, but save the file frequently so as not to lose time invested in entering data if something goes wrong. hth Vaya con Dios, Chuck, CABGx3 "Bill" wrote: > I would likr to...

Query/subquery in form
I have a form with a query listed in a "list" box. The query has a sub-query with a linked field. When I run the query by itself, the "+" shows up and I can "drill down". When I run the form, the "+" will not show up on the form. Can you not have this option on a form? Thanks Try DataSheet view for the subform. -- Build a little, test a little. "Warman" wrote: > I have a form with a query listed in a "list" box. The query has a sub-query > with a linked field. When I run the query by itself, the "...

Curious and Curiouser
Using Exchange 2003, Server 2000, Symantec Mail Security for Exchange with all filters removed for our domain. Have approx. 1500 users, most use OWA for mail. Increasingly, users cannot access Office attachments and we all use Office. It seems to happen with mail generated from some systems more than others, but its random: it dosen't happen every time. I have tried to research, but don't know where to look anymore. Any help is appreciated, Mary G. Do you see these missing items in the symantec quarenteen? (assuming it's set up and the rule relavent is set to send ...

Collation Change on CRM Database
My company is running CRM 4.0 on SQL 2005. The default collation on the server is SQL_Latin1_General_CP1_CI_AS and the CRM Config database is also SQL_Latin1_General_CP1_CI_AS but the CRM database instance was set up with Latin1_General_CI_AS. My life as a database developer would be simpler if all collations were the same...what bad things would happen if CRM is changed to SQL_Latin1_General_CP1_CI_AS? ...