creating help info for user defined function

I have some custom functions written, and would like to provide a little
note on the function variable input box that explains what the function does
(the same as microsofts functions have tips).  Can anyone help with doing
this?

0
Joe
6/4/2005 8:47:32 AM
excel 39879 articles. 2 followers. Follow

    Hi Joe,

    I sometime use a very basic form of help, Next to where you want to make
the help. Create a graphic box using the drawing toolbar. Then turn this box
into a hyperlink (Just link it to where the box is. Then in the hyperlink
properties there is a button called screen tip ! Here enter you help text
and then when people move the mouse over it they will have a screen tip.

    Cheers,

    Wayne

"Joe Carroll" <joeInsertTheAtcarroll-acoustics.net.au> wrote in message
>I have some custom functions written, and would like to provide a little
>note on the function variable input box that explains what the function
>does (the same as microsofts functions have tips).  Can anyone help with
>doing this?

0
wayne.alex (20)
6/4/2005 1:37:32 PM
This won't work like the tips, but it will work if you use the function wizard.

Tools|macro|macros...
type in the name of your function
(you won't be able to select it from the displayed list)

Click the Options button
There's a small textbox where you can type in a short description for that
function.
Click the ok button
then click the cancel button (to dismiss that dialog)

And it could be very helpful if you use nice names for the parms that are being
passed to the function.  This would help if the user hits ctrl-shift-a while
entering the formula.

ps.  You can use ctrl-a to see the function wizard instead of using the mouse
and clicking on that fx button.

--

Dave Peterson
0

"Dave Peterson" <ec35720@netscapeXSPAM.com> wrote in message
> This won't work like the tips, but it will work if you use the function
> wizard.
>
> Tools|macro|macros...
> type in the name of your function
> (you won't be able to select it from the displayed list)
>
> Click the Options button
> There's a small textbox where you can type in a short description for that
> function.
> Click the ok button
> then click the cancel button (to dismiss that dialog)
>
> And it could be very helpful if you use nice names for the parms that are
> being
> passed to the function.  This would help if the user hits ctrl-shift-a
> while
> entering the formula.
>
> ps.  You can use ctrl-a to see the function wizard instead of using the
> mouse
> and clicking on that fx button.
>
> Joe Carroll wrote:
>>
>> I have some custom functions written, and would like to provide a little
>> note on the function variable input box that explains what the function
>> does
>> (the same as microsofts functions have tips).  Can anyone help with doing
>> this?
>
> --
>
> Dave Peterson

0
Joe

Help with macro #6
Good evening: Is it possible to insert a formula in the below listed MACRO. [Column D is always a date. I need Column F to display a date 14 days greater] Thanks in advance John Sub EnterGrievance() ' ' EnterGrievance Macro ' Macro recorded 2/25/2008 by John Donadio ' ' Keyboard Shortcut: Ctrl+c 'Range("A12").Select Dim FromRng As Range Dim ToRng As Range With Worksheets("Data Sheet") Set FromRng = .Range("A12:M12") End With With Worksheets("Grievance Log") Set ToRn...

Public Folder store issue
I dont ask a question relating to this earlier with no response. I overwrote our public folder store database with an old backup from another server, yes stupid i know please only make helpful comments on what to do next, Our mailbox store appears to still be running perfectly everyone can access their email and send/receive fine. I assume the best thing to do next is to either recreate a public store, as the one which i overwrote will not start, obviously, or, if possible, rollback the public store to the stage it was at 2 days ago(i dont have a backup and there wasn't anything im...

create a roster

how to call drawitem() function in ower draw Clistbox
Another question about ower-draw listbox: I created an ower-draw Listbox and override the drawitem(LPDRAWITEMSTRUCT lpDrawItemStruct) function. Is there any way to refresh the listbox by calling DrawItem(LPDRAWITEMSTRUCT lpDrawItemStruct) after the user click on a button? Thanks, Eileen > Another question about ower-draw listbox: I created an ower-draw > Listbox and override the drawitem(LPDRAWITEMSTRUCT lpDrawItemStruct) > function. Is there any way to refresh the listbox by calling > DrawItem(LPDRAWITEMSTRUCT lpDrawItemStruct) after the user click on a > button? > Ca...

How do I include more Help options for really inexperienced users?
Things like on the forms (beside each label), how can i include a question mark symbol that, when the mouse hovers over it, shows the format needed for the data that should be input? e.g. contact number - 028 90 000000 You can easily do this with the Control Tip Text property. Open your form in design view and select the control which you want to show the format for. Open properties and go to the Other tab. Type in your example format in the Control Tip Text property. Steve santus@penn.com "laura" <laura@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:57...

Task Create - Status

HELP MEEE
I have aproblem I have .csv from my p900 and another .csv from my out look...I want to merge these two file and get one consolidated contact details!!. My Problem is in p900.csv it's lists on first name basis and in outlook.csv it lists on company..I can't seems to get one haevest file with unique data You help is really appreciated Your description of your problem is too "generic" for me to be able to offer specific do-this-do-that help, but once you import the files into Excel, the data can be manipulated and re-arranged to give you the commonality you need........The...

Help! Trying to consolidate...
Okay, I have a spreadsheet with 52000 rows and 4 columns. In the first column, the same value is often listed. Example... No. Qty 302 18 0.87 15.66 302 5 0.87 4.35 302 10 0.87 8.7 303 11 0.7962 8.7582 303 20 0.7962 15.924 303 22 0.7962 17.5164 303 29 0.7962 23.0898 303 86 0.7962 68.4732 What I want to do is combine the No. and Qty columns, so that I only have one cell "303" but totalling the quanities listed. Can someone help? Have I made any sense? :) Thanks in advance - ------------------------------------------------ ~~ Message posted from http://www.ExcelTip....

Create external database

How to create pie chart with %

Help with sending emails
I can not send emails, I keep getting the error message below. I have aol and am using the aol incomming and outgoing settings. Any help would be appreciated. The message could not be sent. The authentication setting might not be correct for your outgoing e-mail [SMTP] server. For help solving this problem, go to Help, search for "Troubleshoot Windows Mail", and read the "I'm having problems sending e-mail" section. If you need help determining the proper server settings, please contact your e-mail service provider. The rejected e-mail address was '...

when form created

SQL help needed please
greetings gurus I am having trouble with the syntax of a query I'm trying to write. Here is the situation, simpified to its essence: C:/DB/A.mdb has tblNames with relevant fields CustID, CustName, CustEMail. C:/DB/B.mdb has the same table and fields. C:/DB/C.mdb also has the same table and fields. Many of the names appear in 2 or 3 of the databases, but most names appear in only one of the three databases. Here's what I am trying to do (so far without success)... I want the values of CustID, CustName, CustEMail that are in A.mdb UNION the values of CustID, Cus...

similiar upgrade question, on upgrades do contact info auto load, or
do you have to use pst files All data contained in a *.pst file Other than that yr Q is a little hard to follow. "bob" <bob@donotspam> wrote in message news:ex66JE1qEHA.372@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl... > do you have to use pst files > > ...

Creating a Brochure

HELP! Need Access DB to show realtime changes in different location
Hi Guys, I was wondering about how access refreshes it's data within forms and it seems that it doesn't. If i have a form open in one location on a network and update fields on the form the changes are not shown on the form opened in another location. (I.e. if 2 users are in the same form at the same time and one adds a new record the other users form will not show this change). Is there anyway that Access can be setup to show real-time changes over multiple locations? Preferably without having to do a manual refresh by clicking a button or something. All i want to do is show change...

need opposite of MODE function in Excel
How do I find the number that occurs LEAST frequently in a range of numbers? This is the exact opposite of the MODE function, which finds the most common occurrence. For example, a column of numbers contains; 2 4 5 2 4 2 MODE will return "2" as the most commonj occurrence. I want to know that "5" is the least common occurence. Obviously, my column contains many more numbers so it's not easily to simply visualize and count them. Is there a way to do this in Excel? Thanks. Hi Kevin, You can do that with the Frequency function. data freq bins 2 0 1 ...

OWA and Domain\User Name Logon
Something strange happened to the logon requirements when logging onto OWA... Initially when I configured OWA the user was required to use his or her domain with their username when logging onto OWA. Now, the domain portion before the user name is no longer required. Although more convenient for the user to logon this way, I'd like to see the logon requirements as they were with the domain portion of the logon required. I am wondering what could have happened to change this feature. Any ideas? How would one change it back? Thanks in advance. Raymond- If somebody put a \ in the default...

How to create Access macro shortcut