Creating a list in a cell

Hello.

This is my first message to this group.

I just want to create a cell whose content is restricted to the items
or values in a list. The list would be static, and it wouldn't be a
problem to fill the list by hand, as it is not expected to contain
much many items.

The user then could go to the cell and simply select one of the values
in the list, by means of a drop down control or similar.

Is there any standard option in Excel to do that? I tried something
called "lists", but it doesn't work as I would like.

Thank you very much in advance!!

--
Vicent
0

Hi Vincent

Select the desired cell, then goto Data > Validation > Allow : select
"List" > Source : Enter the items seperated by comma > OK

You can also enter the items in an unused column in the sheet and then
in source you should enter the range containing the list.

Hopes it helps.

Regards,
Per

On Nov 19, 12:05=A0pm, Vicent Giner <vgi...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello.
>
> This is my first message to this group.
>
> I just want to create a cell whose content is restricted to the items
> or values in a list. The list would be static, and it wouldn't be a
> problem to fill the list by hand, as it is not expected to contain
> much many items.
>
> The user then could go to the cell and simply select one of the values
> in the list, by means of a drop down control or similar.
>
> Is there any standard option in Excel to do that? I tried something
> called "lists", but it doesn't work as I would like.
>
> Thank you very much in advance!!
>
> --
> Vicent

Hello Vicente!!
Press F1 in excel when you get the excel help copy this "Create a drop-
down list from a range of cells" and paste it, this will take you step
by step how to do what are you looking for:
Pantera!!
0
jd64361 (2)
11/20/2008 11:17:52 PM
Hi Vicent

Have a look at Data... Validation... and select List from the Allow options.

HTH
Best rgds
Chris Lav

"Vicent Giner" <vginer@gmail.com> wrote in message
> Hello.
>
> This is my first message to this group.
>
> I just want to create a cell whose content is restricted to the items
> or values in a list. The list would be static, and it wouldn't be a
> problem to fill the list by hand, as it is not expected to contain
> much many items.
>
> The user then could go to the cell and simply select one of the values
> in the list, by means of a drop down control or similar.
>
> Is there any standard option in Excel to do that? I tried something
> called "lists", but it doesn't work as I would like.
>
> Thank you very much in advance!!
>
> --
> Vicent

create a roster

Default Price Lists
Hi Does ayone have advise on what the best practice is with regards to creating a default price list in a situation where all pricing will be user provided? I would greatly appreciate any suggestions or advice. Many Thanks I need to do the same thing. It's driving me nuts trying to get around it! If anyone can help, that'd be great. Mark Braithwaite wrote: > Hi > > Does ayone have advise on what the best practice is with regards to creating > a default price list in a situation where all pricing will be user provided? > > I would greatly appreciate any suggesti...

Reference to cell with text is returning #VALUE
I have a cell that references a different cell that that consists of H9:J9 that is formated for and contains text. The referenceing cell shows #VALUE instead of the actual text that is in the cell? Any ideas as to why this is happening? Any help would be appreciated. What does your formula look like? A simple link formula can only reference a single cell. Like this: =H9 You can't reference a range of cells like this: =H9:J9 That is why you're getting the error. -- Biff Microsoft Excel MVP "Jorist" <Jorist@discussions.microsoft.com> ...

Print Autocomplete list
I am using Outlook 2003 and have been unable to find out any way of viewing and printing a copy of all of the entries in the Autocomplete list. Is this possible? A reference to a helpfull article or tutorial would be appreciated. TIA There's this tool which may help: http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/outlook_nk2_autocomplete.html "KiwiBrian" <briantoz@ihug.co.nz> wrote in message news:h99lja$fdl$1@lust.ihug.co.nz... > I am using Outlook 2003 and have been unable to find out any way of > viewing and printing a copy of all of the entries in the Autocomplete > lis...

Task Create - Status

Distribution List Max Number of Recipients
Does anyone know what the maximum number of recipients allowed in a distribution list is in Exchange 5.5 Thanks. "L. Wagoner" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >Does anyone know what the maximum number of recipients allowed in a distribution list is in Exchange 5.5? It's somewhere in the vicinity of 5,000. -- Rich Matheisen MCSE+I, Exchange MVP MS Exchange FAQ at http://www.swinc.com/resource/exch_faq.htm ...

Bug with cell merging in tables using Applescript

Create external database

How to create pie chart with %

Stagnant cell for counting filtered data
I want to keep one cell that houses the count of the data depending on how it is filtered and that cell remain visible despite how it is filtered. I can't get the formula =COUNT(C9,C1:C100) to work or get it to stay visible if I change the filter. Place the formula in row 1 that contains your titles...........assuming you have these. =SUBTOTAL(2,C2:C100) the 2, means count If you don't have titles in row 1, place the formula after a blank row below your data. Note: you use COUNT in your original. COUNT only counts numerics. Maybe you want COUNTA which would be =SUBTOT...

when form created

Creating a Brochure

Select items from list and show in text box
I want to be able to select an items from a list I have setup and have them show in a text box (possibly with the aid of a select button). Could someone please explain to me how to do this as I have no idea about Visual Basic and macros don't work? Thanks in advance Jeanette You can create a dropdown list with data validation: http://www.contextures.com/xlDataVal01.html Or, create a combobox on a UserForm: http://www.contextures.com/xlUserForm02.html rosscojet@tiscali.co.uk wrote: > I want to be able to select an items from a list I have setup and have > them show in a ...

changing the message list in outlook 2003
i just upgraded from office 2000 to 2003. in the message look in outlook, it separates the messages by date. is there any way to turn this off, so i just have a long list of messages? Right click on the header in the message list, uncheck "show in groups." --� Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook] Post all replies to the group to keep the discussion intact. Due to the SWEN virus, all mail sent to my personal account will be deleted without reading. After searching google.groups.com and finding no answer, Lee Benningfield asked: | i just upgraded from office 2000 to 2003. in the mess...

How to create Access macro shortcut

How do I get the 2nd Mode in a range of cells
I want to attain the 2nd, 3rd, 4th, etc. most frequent number in a range of cells. Using the Mode function I can receive the most frequent but how do I get the 2nd, 3rd, 4th,etc. from the same range. Thanks. Hi assuming your list of numbers is in A1:A10 try the following formulas: B1: = MODE($A$1:$A$10) B2: (array entered with CTRL+SHIFT+ENTER) = MODE(IF(COUNTIF($B$1:B1,$A$1:$A$10)=0,$A$1:$A$10+{0,0})) -- Regards Frank Kabel Frankfurt, Germany anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com wrote: > I want to attain the 2nd, 3rd, 4th, etc. most frequent > number in a range of...

Excel Data List
I have a large database in an Excel spreadsheet with subtotal formula below. When I used the Data - List function to sort through th database, a few things happened to the underlying subtotal data: 1. When I click out of the list, the cells in columns below the lis become blank. 2. The subtotals that are referenced by formulas in other sheets stil feed out as though the data were extant, though the cells appea blank. Why does the underlying data only show up when the active cell is i the defined list? How can I fix it? Thanks, Rya -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com I fi...

Creating an ad book