Creating a drop down like menu for row of cells?

I have a bit of a problem with an excel worksheet that I have going, th
whole sheet is about 450 rows with various bits of input data, an
sub-totals for various sections calculated throughout it.

In order to reduce the size and make it a little bit easier to navigat
through, I am wondering if there is anyway to make rows drop down, lik
say with an arrow to the side that a user can click on to have a grou
of cells drop down, that way I can only have sub totals and su
headings showing. Is this possible to do and how?

I've tired searching through help but can't find anything, and don'
want to use the hide feature because it just makes it too complicate
and I can see people missing out on data if they aren't paying clos
attention to the row numbers. And the whole aim of what I am doing i
putting all the data a user has to input on the one worksheet wit
subsequent sheets calculating and presenting results so I want to kee
all the cells that require input on the one sheet.

Any help would be great if anyone can tell me a way around this

--
the_O
the_OM's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=2392

excel 39879 articles. 2 followers. Follow

Have you tried using the following ?
select the rows to 'group'

click on

DATA
Group and Outline
Group

then select 'by rows'

this will put a + sign in the column next to the row number indicating
that some rows are hidden and therefore clicking on it will display all
those rows.

Hope that helps
Mark

--
Loxley
Loxley's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=23927

Take a look at Data>Group and Outline, then post back if you have mor
questions.

Regards,
Ro

--
Ron Coderr
Ron Coderre's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=2141

If your data is grouped nicely and it's sorted by that grouping, you could use
Data|Subtotals
Then you could use the outlining symbols to the left to hide/show the rows you
want.

You may have to remove the subtotals you've added manually and use the ones that
Data|Subtotal inserted.

the_OM wrote:

> I have a bit of a problem with an excel worksheet that I have going, the
> whole sheet is about 450 rows with various bits of input data, and
> sub-totals for various sections calculated throughout it.
>
> In order to reduce the size and make it a little bit easier to navigate
> through, I am wondering if there is anyway to make rows drop down, like
> say with an arrow to the side that a user can click on to have a group
> of cells drop down, that way I can only have sub totals and sub
> headings showing. Is this possible to do and how?
>
> I've tired searching through help but can't find anything, and don't
> want to use the hide feature because it just makes it too complicated
> and I can see people missing out on data if they aren't paying close
> attention to the row numbers. And the whole aim of what I am doing is
> putting all the data a user has to input on the one worksheet with
> subsequent sheets calculating and presenting results so I want to keep
> all the cells that require input on the one sheet.
>
> Any help would be great if anyone can tell me a way around this.
>
> --
> the_OM
> the_OM's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=23928
> View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=375619

--

Dave Peterson
0

changing row height
Is it possible to change the row height within the same sheet of some rows without it affecting the other rows? -- A fledgling at 64 hi yes it is. are you having trouble of any kind?? to set a row....on the menu bar>format>row>row height set the height to what you want. you may have to experiment. once set to the desired height and you need to set other rows to the same height, select the other row and hit the f4 key. this is the repeat action key. the set the height of the select row to the same height as the last row. if you need to have different heights then you ...

Attach Rows with Row Data
I am trying to sort by Data/Time in a Column, but if I sort by Date/Time, Just that changes, the other columns don't change with it. How can I either LOCK or ATTACH the Rpw data together so when I sort, Everything changes, not just the Date/Time? Thanks Mike Miller Hi just select the entire data range (all columns) prior to sorting your data -- Regards Frank Kabel Frankfurt, Germany "Admiral_Kirk_1" <Admiral_Kirk_1@discussions.microsoft.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag news:BAFA6FEE-04C3-4AFB-9FA6-CFF7A41224C9@microsoft.com... > I am trying to sort by Data/Time in a ...

create a roster

Drop down calendar menus disappear
This is a bizarre problem which I thought must be due to some sort of corruption on my hard drive. However, using Google to check back on this group and the other outlook group I've seen the same problem noted six times over the past couple of years, from users of both Outlook 2002 and 2003. I use 2003 and I don't recall that I had the problem with 2002. I run Win XP Pro. The problem: This occurs when I try to enter dates in the calendar, task list or birthdays section (contacts). You try to select a date to enter a task, or enter a date for someone's birthday - you click on the ...

Inserting rows with Data, Formula's and Validation
Hi all, I posted this twice earlier today, but it hasn't appeared so if it triple post please forgive! I have a spreadsheet that starting at row 18 contains the following information A18=M$2 B18= Datavalidation indirect ($M$2) C18=IF(B18="No More Options",VLOOKUP($B18,INDIRECT(CONCATENATE($M$2,"_info")),1,FALSE),IF(B19<2,VLOOKUP($B18,INDIRECT(CONCATENATE($M$2,"_info")),1,FALSE),CONCATENATE(B19," x ",VLOOKUP($B18,INDIRECT(CONCATENATE($M$2,"_info")),1,FALSE)))) E18=IF(ISERROR(VLOOKUP($B18,INDIRECT(CONCATENATE($M$2,"_info"))...

Reference to cell with text is returning #VALUE
I have a cell that references a different cell that that consists of H9:J9 that is formated for and contains text. The referenceing cell shows #VALUE instead of the actual text that is in the cell? Any ideas as to why this is happening? Any help would be appreciated. What does your formula look like? A simple link formula can only reference a single cell. Like this: =H9 You can't reference a range of cells like this: =H9:J9 That is why you're getting the error. -- Biff Microsoft Excel MVP "Jorist" <Jorist@discussions.microsoft.com> ...

Task Create - Status

Bug with cell merging in tables using Applescript

Drag Drop problem inCListCtrl
Hello , I have a owner drawn list view which displays the thumbnail images of image files along with other related information like destination of file and file properties. I am trying to drop drop the images in the list view but the following takes place : CreateDragImage returns me a CImageList pointer which is not null , when i do a GetImageInfo using the CImageList pointer the IMAGEINFO structure contains NULL values.Also BeginDrag returns FALSE. What am i doing wrong, please do help me. Thanks in Advance example: www.codeguru.com/Cpp/controls/ listview/dragdrop/article.php/c941/ &quo...

Drop Down Menu #2
In Word I'm able to attach a calendar as a drop down menu...then a person who clicks on that drop down menu will see the calendar and then can click a date which will be seen in the cell. Would you like to something similar in Excel? See Ron de Bruin's site for instructions on using a Calendar Control on a worksheet. http://www.rondebruin.nl/calendar.htm Also note the section for calling the calendar from a Toolbar button. Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP On Tue, 5 May 2009 14:24:15 -0700, Marlas <Marlas@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >In Word I'm able to attach a c...

Create external database

How to create pie chart with %

How do I turn on drag and drop in MS Word 2007?
It seems that drag and drop has stopped working..... I have no clue why. There are instructions on how to turn drag and drop on/off for MS Word 2003, but I can't find the directions on how to do this for Word 2007. I'd like to turn this back on. Can anyone help? Click on the the Office Button (top/left) and at the bottom of that window click on Word Options. In that window choose Advanced. Drag and Drop is the third choice down. (That said... it doesn't always work even when you have selected it. Sigh) The problem could have to do with the Symbols dialog box. When you...

Stagnant cell for counting filtered data
I want to keep one cell that houses the count of the data depending on how it is filtered and that cell remain visible despite how it is filtered. I can't get the formula =COUNT(C9,C1:C100) to work or get it to stay visible if I change the filter. Place the formula in row 1 that contains your titles...........assuming you have these. =SUBTOTAL(2,C2:C100) the 2, means count If you don't have titles in row 1, place the formula after a blank row below your data. Note: you use COUNT in your original. COUNT only counts numerics. Maybe you want COUNTA which would be =SUBTOT...

Conditional data validation drop downs
Good afternoon, I want to set up drop down's that bring up criteria to be selected based on a previous data drop down selection, i.e. let's say column A has drop downs consisting of various areas within a building, i.e. Ceiling Void, Roof, Ceiling, Floor etc. Based on what is selected in A1 the drop down criteria in B1 should relate only to what could apply to the selection in A1. I.e. If Ceiling Void is selected in A1 then the user should only be allowed to select, for example, from Fire Break, Pipe Lagging, Fire Break, Feature Panels etc in B1. If however 'Roof&#...

when form created

Creating a Brochure

How do you print an Excel worksheet to show the rows and columns?
I'm new to Excel, and trying to print a document that will show the rows and columns, rather than just the information. How do I do this? In Excel 97 (later versions will, I assume, be similar) click File - Page Setup. Then select the "Sheet" tab and in the box labelled "Print" will be a checkbox labelled "Gridlines". Check that and print it. Peter "Michaelangelo" <Michaelangelo@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:A635EBC2-AB49-45D8-803D-5C2E91ACDDAC@microsoft.com... > I'm new to Excel, and trying to print a document th...

How to create Access macro shortcut

How do I get the 2nd Mode in a range of cells
I want to attain the 2nd, 3rd, 4th, etc. most frequent number in a range of cells. Using the Mode function I can receive the most frequent but how do I get the 2nd, 3rd, 4th,etc. from the same range. Thanks. Hi assuming your list of numbers is in A1:A10 try the following formulas: B1: = MODE($A$1:$A$10) B2: (array entered with CTRL+SHIFT+ENTER) = MODE(IF(COUNTIF($B$1:B1,$A$1:$A$10)=0,$A$1:$A$10+{0,0})) -- Regards Frank Kabel Frankfurt, Germany anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com wrote: > I want to attain the 2nd, 3rd, 4th, etc. most frequent > number in a range of...