Creating a copy of a sheet and naming it

Being a newbie to VBA could I please have some advice .

What I am trying to do is write a macro to select the active sheet and
create a copy of it but then I would like an input message to ask me
what to name the sheet so that I am presented with an exact copy
(including macro buttons) but with a name of my choice.  I have tried a
myriad of combinations but do not seem able to get it to work

This macro must be able to work with any selected sheet in the workbook

Any help would be appreciated

Brian
Scotland

excel 39879 articles. 2 followers. Follow

Brian,

SheetName = InputBox("Enter desired name for copy of active sheet")
activesheet.Copy After:=ActiveSheet
ActiveSheet.Name = SheetName

It will copy the selected sheet and put it sheet after the selected sheet.
It won't check that the name entered already exists in a sheet, which will
cause an error.

As a starter, you can start the macro recorder (Tools - Macro - Record new
macro), do the biz, stop the recorder, then modify the code as needed.

--
Earl Kiosterud
www.smokeylake.com
<brian.jermain@googlemail.com> wrote in message
> Being a newbie to VBA could I please have some advice .
>
> What I am trying to do is write a macro to select the active sheet and
> create a copy of it but then I would like an input message to ask me
> what to name the sheet so that I am presented with an exact copy
> (including macro buttons) but with a name of my choice.  I have tried a
> myriad of combinations but do not seem able to get it to work
>
> This macro must be able to work with any selected sheet in the workbook
>
> Any help would be appreciated
>
> Brian
> Scotland

0
someone798 (944)
11/3/2006 8:27:00 PM
Earl

Thank you very much - you make it look so easy

Much appreciated

Brian

create a roster

Removing duplicate records with long names in Excel 2007
Greetings, This is probably a very simple question, sorry. I have annual lists of company names and am trying to make a report of changes in the lists; companies added and companies dropped. The problem is that the names in the register are long and have lots of abbreviations which might differ from year to year; one extra dot, a space missing etc., thus, making the records for the same company differ from year to year. Now, how can I filter two lists to remove the same records? Is there a function to do that? Generally, for the same company, the first two words in the name r...

SQL Server 2005 Rename Instance Name
Is it possible to rename SQL Server 2005 instance name without creating a new instance within SQL Server? Please help me with this issue. Joe K. Joe K. (JoeK@discussions.microsoft.com) writes: > Is it possible to rename SQL Server 2005 instance name without creating a > new instance within SQL Server? This looks promising: http://www.google.se/#hl=sv&source=hp&q=rename+instance+sql+server+2005&btnG=Google-s%C3%B6kning&meta=&aq=0&oq=rename+instance+&fp=29d270bf3c638d82 -- Erland Sommarskog, SQL Server MVP, esquel@sommarskog.se Links...

Copying a row and pasting the same below it with just formulas
Hi all, I have 3 buttons in the same worksheet to copy a row and insert the same below it. I have this macro running for 3 different places. See my code below. The problem is: 1) I want just the formulas/formatting to be pasted, and not the constants. 2) And more importantly, if I use Button 1, then a row is added below row 15 and the rows move down and so for Button 2, row 36 is different now as it has moved down, if you understand? How do I keep it fixed that it always copies row 36 even if a row is added above and the rows move down. Same for Button 3. Private Sub Comm...

Task Create - Status

Create external database

How to create pie chart with %

how do I copy a range to a new sheet
Now that I this group solved my problem of flagging dates of my club members as "expired", how would I automatically copy all of the members that are expired to a new worksheet so I can use this for a mail merge? I would need to check the condition of the expired column, YES or NO, then copy the yes's name and address columns only to a new page. TIA Why not just add that column and when you use mailmerge, just include the records with that flag set the way you need? If you really want to copy the rows, you could apply Data|Filter|Autofilter and filter to show just those mem...

when form created

how many lines per sheet in excel 2003
ave they increased the number of lines in excel 2003 or is it still 65536 Still, ever heard of 'categorizing'? Danny On Sun, 17 Jul 2005 16:04:01 -0700, Des53 <Des53@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: > ave they increased the number of lines in excel 2003 or is it still 65536 -- Using Opera's revolutionary e-mail client: http://www.opera.com/mail/ Hi Des, Row and column specifications are unchanged in xl2003 (65536 x 256). I have heard no suggestion that these are likely to change any time soon --- Regards, Norman "Des53" <Des53@discus...

Creating a Brochure

OWA and Domain\User Name Logon
Something strange happened to the logon requirements when logging onto OWA... Initially when I configured OWA the user was required to use his or her domain with their username when logging onto OWA. Now, the domain portion before the user name is no longer required. Although more convenient for the user to logon this way, I'd like to see the logon requirements as they were with the domain portion of the logon required. I am wondering what could have happened to change this feature. Any ideas? How would one change it back? Thanks in advance. Raymond- If somebody put a \ in the default...

Enabling Macro But Hiding Sheets
I have created a simple macro that basically when a button is clicked i takes you to a certain page in the workbook. Is it possible to hide this page for different users. But when a use with the correct password comes he can click the button and he will b taken to the hidden page. Is it posible to do something like this along those line -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com It's possible, and if you search the archives: http://google.com/advanced_group_search?q=group:*excel* you'll find many ways to do this. You should know, however, that none of the methods will ...

How to create Access macro shortcut

Multiple tables output to multiple sheets in single excel workbook
Hi all, Been a while since I've done any access dev, and I can't for the life of me remember how to do this. I have 3 tables I need to export to Excel, preferably in one workbook as separate sheets. Using OutputTo simply overwrite the file, and I seem to recall using transfertext to accomplish this, but it says the file is read-only after the first table is output. Do I need to create an export spec? If so, how do I go about this? Or is this simply not going to happen without using the Office library reference and all that jazz? TIA, SusanV Thanks Tom - I'll give it a ...

moving records from one sheet to other
Hi I have 1400 records in one sheet. i want is as a read only sheet. now i need a selection cell and a push button for each and every record. when the shared users select their name from the selection cell then click one of the push button then the appropriate record should move to the sheet which is for that particular user. i have 15 sheets for every individual.can u plz help me out. i'm very new to excel. knight Hopefully this will help you some. This code would be attached to a single button - what it does is see if the currently active cell is in the proper column (with na...

Password Protect-- Read Only Copy
Hi, We have a few excel files that several people use at the same time. Is there any way to make sure that only one designated person can open the orginal copies and the others forced to use a Read Only Copy? Besides relying on humans to close out if they open the original copy etc. :) Thanks, Ben Ben, The second and subsequent users who open the workbook should be in Read-Only automatically, unless you've shared the workbook (Tools - Share workbook). You might need to get with the network people about this. -- Earl Kiosterud mvpearl omitthisword at verizon period net ----------...

Selecting column D automatically when you leave the sheet
I have an xl2003 workbook with several worksheets. Some sheet contain tables, or instructions, etc. Most of the sheets are identical templates i create as i need them. On these templates sheets, which are named 1, 2, 3, etc., I would like to, when i leave the sheet, I would like for the activecell.column to be column D. That is, when i leave the sheet, column D of the current row is selected. I have tried several ways to accomploish this, with no success. Thanks, Tosno You can use an Event macro to Select column D in the worksheet when the sheet gets deactivated: Private Sub Worksheet_Deac...