Creating a bigger list in Data Validation

Hi all,

Is Data Validation limited in terms of the items you can create for the drop
down list. I am creating a shopping list and would like to enter in all my
grocerie items, but there are too many. Any work around solutions?

excel 39879 articles. 2 followers. Follow

Hi Shezageek,

By default the length is limited to 8 items.

See Debra Dalgleish's workaround suggestion at

http://www.contextures.com/xlDataVal08.html#Font

---
Regards,
Norman

"shezageek" <notavailable@domain.com> wrote in message
> Hi all,
>
> Is Data Validation limited in terms of the items you can create for the
> drop down list. I am creating a shopping list and would like to enter in
> all my grocerie items, but there are too many. Any work around solutions?

0
normanjones (1047)
1/13/2005 4:08:33 AM
Thanks Norman!

"Norman Jones" <normanjones@whereforartthou.com> wrote in message
> Hi Shezageek,
>
> By default the length is limited to 8 items.
>
> See Debra Dalgleish's workaround suggestion at
>
> http://www.contextures.com/xlDataVal08.html#Font
>
> ---
> Regards,
> Norman
>

> "shezageek" <notavailable@domain.com> wrote in message
>> Hi all,
>>
>> Is Data Validation limited in terms of the items you can create for the
>> drop down list. I am creating a shopping list and would like to enter in
>> all my grocerie items, but there are too many. Any work around solutions?

How many are your grocery items? There is a scroll down arrow that you can
use, if you mean the number visible every time you click the dropdown
it is 8, however you can put approx 32000 items in a list that can be
selected and you have to do some major shopping to reach that
A combobox from the control toolbox toolbar can have many more items visible
at one time

--
Regards,

Peo Sjoblom

"shezageek" <notavailable@domain.com> wrote in message
> Hi all,
>
> Is Data Validation limited in terms of the items you can create for the
> drop down list. I am creating a shopping list and would like to enter in
> all my grocerie items, but there are too many. Any work around solutions?

0
terre081 (3244)
1/13/2005 4:17:52 AM
Norman, geek,

Just thought I'd mention.  In Excel 2002, the Data Validation list doesn't
seem to be limited to 8 items.  If the list is larger than 8 items, it uses
a scroll bar.  I just made a validation list of 40 items.

--
Earl Kiosterud

"Norman Jones" <normanjones@whereforartthou.com> wrote in message
> Hi Shezageek,
>
> By default the length is limited to 8 items.
>
> See Debra Dalgleish's workaround suggestion at
>
> http://www.contextures.com/xlDataVal08.html#Font
>
> ---
> Regards,
> Norman
>

> "shezageek" <notavailable@domain.com> wrote in message
>> Hi all,
>>
>> Is Data Validation limited in terms of the items you can create for the
>> drop down list. I am creating a shopping list and would like to enter in
>> all my grocerie items, but there are too many. Any work around solutions?

0
nothanks4548 (968)
1/13/2005 3:31:59 PM
It's approx 32000 items that can be used in a list

Regards,

Peo Sjoblom

"Earl Kiosterud" wrote:

> Norman, geek,
>
> Just thought I'd mention.  In Excel 2002, the Data Validation list doesn't
> seem to be limited to 8 items.  If the list is larger than 8 items, it uses
> a scroll bar.  I just made a validation list of 40 items.
>
> --
> Earl Kiosterud
> mvpearl omitthisword at verizon period net
>
> "Norman Jones" <normanjones@whereforartthou.com> wrote in message
> > Hi Shezageek,
> >
> > By default the length is limited to 8 items.
> >
> > See Debra Dalgleish's workaround suggestion at
> >
> > http://www.contextures.com/xlDataVal08.html#Font
> >
> > ---
> > Regards,
> > Norman
> >

> > "shezageek" <notavailable@domain.com> wrote in message
> >> Hi all,
> >>
> >> Is Data Validation limited in terms of the items you can create for the
> >> drop down list. I am creating a shopping list and would like to enter in
> >> all my grocerie items, but there are too many. Any work around solutions?

0
PeoSjoblom (789)
1/13/2005 4:01:05 PM
"Earl Kiosterud" <nothanks@nospam.com> wrote in message
> Norman, geek,
>
> Just thought I'd mention.  In Excel 2002, the Data Validation list doesn't
> seem to be limited to 8 items.  If the list is larger than 8 items, it
> uses a scroll bar.  I just made a validation list of 40 items.
>
> --
> Earl Kiosterud
> mvpearl omitthisword at verizon period net

Hi Earl,

Thank you, you are quite correct..

I intended to refer to the display length rather than a maximum usage limit
but failed to add a clarifying qualification.

---
Regards,
Norman

0
normanjones (1047)
1/13/2005 6:33:45 PM
"Peo Sjoblom" <PeoSjoblom@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> It's approx 32000 items that can be used in a list

Hi Peo,

Thank you.

---
Regards,
Norman

0
normanjones (1047)
1/13/2005 6:33:55 PM
Hi Shezageek,

As Earl's adjacent post indicates, the 8 items does not represent  a limit
to the number of items which can be used in a a data validation list .That,
as Peo points out, is 32k.

A data validation  dropdown displays an extended validation list,  8 lines
at a time, amd provides a scroll bar to scroll through the extended list.

In the link which I gave you, Debra Dalgleish demonstrates a workaround to
display more than 8 items at a time.

I hope that my initial reponse did not mislead you.

---

> Thanks Norman!
>

> "Norman Jones" <normanjones@whereforartthou.com> wrote in message
>> Hi Shezageek,
>>
>> By default the length is limited to 8 items.
>>
>> See Debra Dalgleish's workaround suggestion at
>>
>> http://www.contextures.com/xlDataVal08.html#Font
>>
>> ---
>> Regards,
>> Norman
>>

>> "shezageek" <notavailable@domain.com> wrote in message
>>> Hi all,
>>>
>>> Is Data Validation limited in terms of the items you can create for the
>>> drop down list. I am creating a shopping list and would like to enter in
>>> all my grocerie items, but there are too many. Any work around
>>> solutions?

0
normanjones (1047)
1/13/2005 7:03:41 PM
Norman,

Then will increasing the column width work?

--
Earl Kiosterud

> "Earl Kiosterud" <nothanks@nospam.com> wrote in message
>> Norman, geek,
>>
>> Just thought I'd mention.  In Excel 2002, the Data Validation list
>> doesn't seem to be limited to 8 items.  If the list is larger than 8
>> items, it uses a scroll bar.  I just made a validation list of 40 items.
>>
>> --
>> Earl Kiosterud
>> mvpearl omitthisword at verizon period net
>

> Hi Earl,
>
> Thank you, you are quite correct..
>
> I intended to refer to the display length rather than a maximum usage
> limit but failed to add a clarifying qualification.
>
> ---
> Regards,
> Norman

0
nothanks4548 (968)
1/13/2005 9:14:49 PM
Hi Earl,

> Then will increasing the column width work?

Thank you for your reply.

Presumably I am missing something - perhaps you could elaborate?

---
Regards,
Norman

> Norman,
>
> Then will increasing the column width work?
>
> --
> Earl Kiosterud
> mvpearl omitthisword at verizon period net
>
> "Norman Jones" <normanjones@whereforartthou.com> wrote in message
>> "Earl Kiosterud" <nothanks@nospam.com> wrote in message
>>> Norman, geek,
>>>
>>> Just thought I'd mention.  In Excel 2002, the Data Validation list
>>> doesn't seem to be limited to 8 items.  If the list is larger than 8
>>> items, it uses a scroll bar.  I just made a validation list of 40 items.
>>>
>>> --
>>> Earl Kiosterud
>>> mvpearl omitthisword at verizon period net
>>

>> Hi Earl,
>>
>> Thank you, you are quite correct..
>>
>> I intended to refer to the display length rather than a maximum usage
>> limit but failed to add a clarifying qualification.
>>
>> ---
>> Regards,
>> Norman

0
normanjones (1047)
1/13/2005 10:43:31 PM
No problem Norman...I actually figured that out once I got in there and
realized this. No harm done. Thanks and best regards.

> Hi Shezageek,
>
> As Earl's adjacent post indicates, the 8 items does not represent  a limit
> to the number of items which can be used in a a data validation list
> .That,
> as Peo points out, is 32k.
>
> A data validation  dropdown displays an extended validation list,  8 lines
> at a time, amd provides a scroll bar to scroll through the extended list.
>
> In the link which I gave you, Debra Dalgleish demonstrates a workaround to
> display more than 8 items at a time.
>
> I hope that my initial reponse did not mislead you.
>
> ---
> Regards,
> Norman
>

> "shezageek" <notavailable@domain.com> wrote in message
>> Thanks Norman!
>>

>> "Norman Jones" <normanjones@whereforartthou.com> wrote in message
>>> Hi Shezageek,
>>>
>>> By default the length is limited to 8 items.
>>>
>>> See Debra Dalgleish's workaround suggestion at
>>>
>>> http://www.contextures.com/xlDataVal08.html#Font
>>>
>>> ---
>>> Regards,
>>> Norman
>>>

>>> "shezageek" <notavailable@domain.com> wrote in message

Thanks Earl,
yes, I discovered!!! Joy. and Thanks for your assistance

"Earl Kiosterud" <nothanks@nospam.com> wrote in message
> Norman, geek,
>
> Just thought I'd mention.  In Excel 2002, the Data Validation list doesn't
> seem to be limited to 8 items.  If the list is larger than 8 items, it
> uses a scroll bar.  I just made a validation list of 40 items.
>
> --
> Earl Kiosterud
> mvpearl omitthisword at verizon period net
>
> "Norman Jones" <normanjones@whereforartthou.com> wrote in message
>> Hi Shezageek,
>>
>> By default the length is limited to 8 items.
>>
>> See Debra Dalgleish's workaround suggestion at
>>
>> http://www.contextures.com/xlDataVal08.html#Font
>>
>> ---
>> Regards,
>> Norman
>>

>> "shezageek" <notavailable@domain.com> wrote in message
>>> Hi all,
>>>
>>> Is Data Validation limited in terms of the items you can create for the
>>> drop down list. I am creating a shopping list and would like to enter in
>>> all my grocerie items, but there are too many. Any work around
>>> solutions?

create a roster

Attach Rows with Row Data
I am trying to sort by Data/Time in a Column, but if I sort by Date/Time, Just that changes, the other columns don't change with it. How can I either LOCK or ATTACH the Rpw data together so when I sort, Everything changes, not just the Date/Time? Thanks Mike Miller Hi just select the entire data range (all columns) prior to sorting your data -- Regards Frank Kabel Frankfurt, Germany "Admiral_Kirk_1" <Admiral_Kirk_1@discussions.microsoft.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag news:BAFA6FEE-04C3-4AFB-9FA6-CFF7A41224C9@microsoft.com... > I am trying to sort by Data/Time in a ...

Default Price Lists
Hi Does ayone have advise on what the best practice is with regards to creating a default price list in a situation where all pricing will be user provided? I would greatly appreciate any suggestions or advice. Many Thanks I need to do the same thing. It's driving me nuts trying to get around it! If anyone can help, that'd be great. Mark Braithwaite wrote: > Hi > > Does ayone have advise on what the best practice is with regards to creating > a default price list in a situation where all pricing will be user provided? > > I would greatly appreciate any suggesti...

Print Autocomplete list
I am using Outlook 2003 and have been unable to find out any way of viewing and printing a copy of all of the entries in the Autocomplete list. Is this possible? A reference to a helpfull article or tutorial would be appreciated. TIA There's this tool which may help: http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/outlook_nk2_autocomplete.html "KiwiBrian" <briantoz@ihug.co.nz> wrote in message news:h99lja$fdl$1@lust.ihug.co.nz... > I am using Outlook 2003 and have been unable to find out any way of > viewing and printing a copy of all of the entries in the Autocomplete > lis...

Task Create - Status

Inserting rows with Data, Formula's and Validation
Hi all, I posted this twice earlier today, but it hasn't appeared so if it triple post please forgive! I have a spreadsheet that starting at row 18 contains the following information A18=M$2 B18= Datavalidation indirect ($M$2) C18=IF(B18="No More Options",VLOOKUP($B18,INDIRECT(CONCATENATE($M$2,"_info")),1,FALSE),IF(B19<2,VLOOKUP($B18,INDIRECT(CONCATENATE($M$2,"_info")),1,FALSE),CONCATENATE(B19," x ",VLOOKUP($B18,INDIRECT(CONCATENATE($M$2,"_info")),1,FALSE)))) E18=IF(ISERROR(VLOOKUP($B18,INDIRECT(CONCATENATE($M$2,"_info"))...

Distribution List Max Number of Recipients
Does anyone know what the maximum number of recipients allowed in a distribution list is in Exchange 5.5 Thanks. "L. Wagoner" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >Does anyone know what the maximum number of recipients allowed in a distribution list is in Exchange 5.5? It's somewhere in the vicinity of 5,000. -- Rich Matheisen MCSE+I, Exchange MVP MS Exchange FAQ at http://www.swinc.com/resource/exch_faq.htm ...

Create external database

How to create pie chart with %

Getting data from Several Work Books
Dear all, After some advis here, I have several workbooks all with different names but in the same directory I.E. Excel1.xls Excel2.xls Excel3.xls Excel4.xls In each of the above I want to get out the value for say A2. And put it in a totals.xls in the same directory. I started to do it and I got this as my value .. ='[Excel1.xls]Expense Report'!$R$20 <-------- This returned the correct value. When i opened the document again it asked if i wanted to "update" the workboog ... whick i did want to have the updated info, the pro...

Stagnant cell for counting filtered data
I want to keep one cell that houses the count of the data depending on how it is filtered and that cell remain visible despite how it is filtered. I can't get the formula =COUNT(C9,C1:C100) to work or get it to stay visible if I change the filter. Place the formula in row 1 that contains your titles...........assuming you have these. =SUBTOTAL(2,C2:C100) the 2, means count If you don't have titles in row 1, place the formula after a blank row below your data. Note: you use COUNT in your original. COUNT only counts numerics. Maybe you want COUNTA which would be =SUBTOT...

Web query financial data into chart
Via a web query I import the Euro/Dollar exchange rate during e.g. 2.00 pm to 5.00 pm in a cell of an Excel sheet with a refresh rate of 1 minute. I like to plot this rate versus time over this period. How can I realize that? regards, Louis -- loconel ------------------------------------------------------------------------ loconel's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=33481 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=532821 You would have to use a macro to store the info on a sheet with a automatic defined name for the gra...

when form created

Creating a Brochure

Select items from list and show in text box
I want to be able to select an items from a list I have setup and have them show in a text box (possibly with the aid of a select button). Could someone please explain to me how to do this as I have no idea about Visual Basic and macros don't work? Thanks in advance Jeanette You can create a dropdown list with data validation: http://www.contextures.com/xlDataVal01.html Or, create a combobox on a UserForm: http://www.contextures.com/xlUserForm02.html rosscojet@tiscali.co.uk wrote: > I want to be able to select an items from a list I have setup and have > them show in a ...

changing the message list in outlook 2003
i just upgraded from office 2000 to 2003. in the message look in outlook, it separates the messages by date. is there any way to turn this off, so i just have a long list of messages? Right click on the header in the message list, uncheck "show in groups." --� Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook] Post all replies to the group to keep the discussion intact. Due to the SWEN virus, all mail sent to my personal account will be deleted without reading. After searching google.groups.com and finding no answer, Lee Benningfield asked: | i just upgraded from office 2000 to 2003. in the mess...

How to create Access macro shortcut

EDI ( Electronic Data Interchange)
I need to know the Working of EDI in RMS.Brief answer will be highly appreciated. -- With Regards Junaid Idrees Associate Project Manager Enterprise Business Solutions 4th Floor mehdi towers,shahra-e-faisal karachi,Pakistan. 092-021-4392536 ...

Excel Data List
I have a large database in an Excel spreadsheet with subtotal formula below. When I used the Data - List function to sort through th database, a few things happened to the underlying subtotal data: 1. When I click out of the list, the cells in columns below the lis become blank. 2. The subtotals that are referenced by formulas in other sheets stil feed out as though the data were extant, though the cells appea blank. Why does the underlying data only show up when the active cell is i the defined list? How can I fix it? Thanks, Rya -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com I fi...