Create rows from a lookup

Hi all,
I have 2 worksheets containing data that I need to combine, by creating rows
WS1 has product data in the range of:
Product_ID     Name       price         Options_Ref
1                  Product 1    10.00       18
2                  Product 2    15.00       25
3                  Product 3    5.00         18
4                  Product 4    20.00       7

WS2 has the option list data such as:
Options_Ref       Option_Description
7                       Red
7                       Blue
18                     12"
18                     14"
18                     16"
25                     White
25                     Black
25                     Grey
25                     Cream
25                     Red

What I need is to create a new worksheet that will create rows for each
option, by looking up the data. Some products use the same options so would
need to lookup,so for example:
Product_ID     Name       price         Options_Ref       Option_Description
1                  Product 1    10.00       18                     12"
1                  Product 1    10.00       18                     14"
1                  Product 1    10.00       18                     16"
2                  Product 2    15.00       25                     White
2                  Product 2    15.00       25                     Black
2                  Product 2    15.00       25                     Grey
2                  Product 2    15.00       25                     Cream
2                  Product 2    15.00       25                     Red
3                  Product 3    5.00       18                     12"
3                  Product 3    5.00       18                     14"
3                  Product 3    5.00       18                     16"

I hope I have explained my needs OK, hope somebody can help me
0
Richard853 (481)
11/13/2006 8:57:01 PM
excel 39879 articles. 2 followers. Follow

This procedure repeats a row a given, variable amount of times,
using reverse Pivot Table.
Assume your data and headers are arranged like this, starting at A1

Prod_ID  Prod_NM  Price  Opt_Ref  Prod_ID2
1  Prod1  10  18  1  0  0  12"  14"  16"  0  0  0  0  0
2  Prod2  15  25  2  0  0  0  0  0  Wt  Blk  Gry  Crm  Red
3  Prod3  5  18  3  0  0  12"  14"  16"  0  0  0  0  0
4  Prod4  20  7  4  Rd  Bu  0  0  0  0  0  0  0  0

Opt_ref2  Opt_des2
7		Rd
7		Bu
18		12"
18		14"
18		16"
25		Wt
25		Blk
25		Gry
25		Crm
25		Red

Notice that column E is a repeat of A.
In F2:O2 enter this array formula:
=TRANSPOSE(IF(Opt_ref2=D2,Opt_des2,0))
and fill down.
Use reverse Pivot Table on E1:O5. See:
http://j-walk.com/ss/excel/usertips/tip068.htm
In the resulting Row/Column/Value table, insert 2 more blank Columns
and delete zeros with
Edit > Go To > Special > Constants > Numbers
(or Logicals if ,0 is omitted in the above formula)
Delete > Shift up > Entire Row
Fill the first row of the 3 blank columns with this array formula
with this format:
=VLOOKUP(......,A2:D5,{2,3,4})
and fill down.

Many thanks for your reply Herbert.
I have been trying your suggestion & have been unable to get it working.
I am having trouble with the IF statement in the TRANSPOSE formula.
In your reply you have referred to Opt_ref2 & Opt_des2, I know what these
are referring to but in excel do I need to declare the cell range inplace of
these ie A1:A7 etc or are they variable that the data range needs declaring
in?

Many thanks
Richard

"Herbert Seidenberg" wrote:

> This procedure repeats a row a given, variable amount of times,
> using reverse Pivot Table.
> Assume your data and headers are arranged like this, starting at A1
>
> Prod_ID  Prod_NM  Price  Opt_Ref  Prod_ID2
> 1  Prod1  10  18  1  0  0  12"  14"  16"  0  0  0  0  0
> 2  Prod2  15  25  2  0  0  0  0  0  Wt  Blk  Gry  Crm  Red
> 3  Prod3  5  18  3  0  0  12"  14"  16"  0  0  0  0  0
> 4  Prod4  20  7  4  Rd  Bu  0  0  0  0  0  0  0  0
>
> Opt_ref2  Opt_des2
> 7		Rd
> 7		Bu
> 18		12"
> 18		14"
> 18		16"
> 25		Wt
> 25		Blk
> 25		Gry
> 25		Crm
> 25		Red
>
> Notice that column E is a repeat of A.
> In F2:O2 enter this array formula:
> =TRANSPOSE(IF(Opt_ref2=D2,Opt_des2,0))
> and fill down.
> Use reverse Pivot Table on E1:O5. See:
> http://j-walk.com/ss/excel/usertips/tip068.htm
> In the resulting Row/Column/Value table, insert 2 more blank Columns
> and delete zeros with
> Edit > Go To > Special > Constants > Numbers
> (or Logicals if ,0 is omitted in the above formula)
> Delete > Shift up > Entire Row
> Fill the first row of the 3 blank columns with this array formula
> with this format:
> =VLOOKUP(......,A2:D5,{2,3,4})
> and fill down.

0
Richard853 (481)
11/17/2006 3:35:02 PM
In my example Opt_ref2 and Opt_des2 are the arbitrary names
for the ranges A7:A16 and B7:B16
So if you did not name these ranges with
Insert > Name > Create > Top Row
then you could have written the formula this way:
=TRANSPOSE(IF($A$7:$A$16=D2,$B$7:$B$16,0))
To me, the first way is easier to read, is independent of
the data location you chose and you don't have to worry
about absolute and relative references.
Select F2:O2 (10 cells, the number of cells in Opt_ref2),
type the formula and hit Ctrl+Shift+Enter instead of just Enter.
Experiment with my setup before you tackle yours.

create a roster

Attach Rows with Row Data
I am trying to sort by Data/Time in a Column, but if I sort by Date/Time, Just that changes, the other columns don't change with it. How can I either LOCK or ATTACH the Rpw data together so when I sort, Everything changes, not just the Date/Time? Thanks Mike Miller Hi just select the entire data range (all columns) prior to sorting your data -- Regards Frank Kabel Frankfurt, Germany "Admiral_Kirk_1" <Admiral_Kirk_1@discussions.microsoft.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag news:BAFA6FEE-04C3-4AFB-9FA6-CFF7A41224C9@microsoft.com... > I am trying to sort by Data/Time in a ...

changing row height
Is it possible to change the row height within the same sheet of some rows without it affecting the other rows? -- A fledgling at 64 hi yes it is. are you having trouble of any kind?? to set a row....on the menu bar>format>row>row height set the height to what you want. you may have to experiment. once set to the desired height and you need to set other rows to the same height, select the other row and hit the f4 key. this is the repeat action key. the set the height of the select row to the same height as the last row. if you need to have different heights then you ...

Copying a row and pasting the same below it with just formulas
Hi all, I have 3 buttons in the same worksheet to copy a row and insert the same below it. I have this macro running for 3 different places. See my code below. The problem is: 1) I want just the formulas/formatting to be pasted, and not the constants. 2) And more importantly, if I use Button 1, then a row is added below row 15 and the rows move down and so for Button 2, row 36 is different now as it has moved down, if you understand? How do I keep it fixed that it always copies row 36 even if a row is added above and the rows move down. Same for Button 3. Private Sub Comm...

Inserting rows with Data, Formula's and Validation
Hi all, I posted this twice earlier today, but it hasn't appeared so if it triple post please forgive! I have a spreadsheet that starting at row 18 contains the following information A18=M$2 B18= Datavalidation indirect ($M$2) C18=IF(B18="No More Options",VLOOKUP($B18,INDIRECT(CONCATENATE($M$2,"_info")),1,FALSE),IF(B19<2,VLOOKUP($B18,INDIRECT(CONCATENATE($M$2,"_info")),1,FALSE),CONCATENATE(B19," x ",VLOOKUP($B18,INDIRECT(CONCATENATE($M$2,"_info")),1,FALSE)))) E18=IF(ISERROR(VLOOKUP($B18,INDIRECT(CONCATENATE($M$2,"_info"))...

Task Create - Status

Create external database

How to create pie chart with %

when form created

Creating a Brochure

How to create Access macro shortcut

How do you print an Excel worksheet to show the rows and columns?
I'm new to Excel, and trying to print a document that will show the rows and columns, rather than just the information. How do I do this? In Excel 97 (later versions will, I assume, be similar) click File - Page Setup. Then select the "Sheet" tab and in the box labelled "Print" will be a checkbox labelled "Gridlines". Check that and print it. Peter "Michaelangelo" <Michaelangelo@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:A635EBC2-AB49-45D8-803D-5C2E91ACDDAC@microsoft.com... > I'm new to Excel, and trying to print a document th...

Creating an ad book

Access unable to create an MDE

create a database from which bibliography an be created
How do I create a database from which a bibliography can be added to the end of a Word document? I used the program RefManager, but that is too expensive for me to update. Does Word 2003 have such a program? Thanks Not natively. Have you checked your academic institution? They might have campus licenses which students can use at home. You could give Zotero a spin (www.zotero.org). Personally, I don't like it, but that's just me. Word 2007 comes with referencing capabilities, but they are limited in functionality. Anything special you want, you would have to add i...

Error creating activities from Cases
Hi I have an out of the box SBS 2003 CRM Setup I have installed Rollup1 and the new help files Under about MS CRM it has CRM 3.0 (3.0.5300.0) When we try and create activies from within a case, we get the following to errors in the event log We can create the activities just fromthe main web client menu ok The same thing happens in the outlook client (OL 2003, Exchange 2003) I found some links to verabose stuff, but they all applied to the have MS CRM setup on multiple server. We have tried it with and without Outlook open Anyhelp appreciated Event Type: Error Event Source: MSC...

Create multiple owner fields?
Is it possibel to create multiple owner fields in a form. We need to track the users who is working with an account. I know only own owner field is supported, but is it poosible to have one owner field and custom fields using the lookup dialog to map more users? // Mats Have you looked at creating a custom entity. Then have a Many to One relationship to user and a Many to One relationship to Account. "Langer" wrote: > > > Is it possibel to create multiple owner fields in a form. We need to > track the users who is working with an account. I know only own o...

How do I change the number of columns and rows in a worksheet
How do I change the width and length of a worksheet. I need a worksheet with more colums and less rows You can't change number of rows and columns. Excel have 65536 rows, and 256 columns. For most calculations it is far enough. You can hide columns and rows, but you can go above this limitations. "SteveK" <SteveK@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:94694EDB-50AE-46A4-9371-FF1450AEC095@microsoft.com... > How do I change the width and length of a worksheet. I need a worksheet > with > more colums and less rows You upgrade to Excel 12 when it...