Create Auto Text in Excel?

I want to be able to add the following function
(=RIGHT(CELL("filename",A1),LEN(CELL("filename",A1))-FIND("]",CELL("filename
",A1),1))) into any excel sheet that I'm working on like you can do in Word
with Auto Text insert.

I think I should be able to do this with a macro but I can't figure out how
to do it.

Any help much appreciated.

Cheers

Lee

0
lswain (5)
8/10/2004 5:19:19 PM
excel 39879 articles. 2 followers. Follow

First, you can shorten the formula a bit and reduce the number of
function calls by using

    =MID(CELL("filename",A1),FIND("]",CELL("filename",A1))+1,32)

XL doesn't support autotext, but it does have autocorrect.

Make an autocorrect entry (Tools/Autocorrect), say "shname" and assign
it to your formula. Then, when you want to enter the formula, type in
shname instead.

In article <#PTN#M3fEHA.1644@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl>,
 "Lee" <lswain@hotmail.com> wrote:

> I want to be able to add the following function
> (=RIGHT(CELL("filename",A1),LEN(CELL("filename",A1))-FIND("]",CELL("filename
> ",A1),1))) into any excel sheet that I'm working on like you can do in Word
> with Auto Text insert.
>
> I think I should be able to do this with a macro but I can't figure out how
> to do it.
0
jemcgimpsey (6723)

create a roster

A self Instruction Book On Excel 2003
I am trying to find a text book on excel 2003 that will show me how to use Excel and give me the data to put into the spread sheet. Some of the features I am looking for are, Amortization, Creating Macros and The function and Chart Wizard. If you could please include an ISBN# to locate the text to get me started on Excel 2003. John List of books at Debra Dalgleish's site. Some have CD's attached http://www.contextures.on.ca/xlbooks.html Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP On Tue, 2 Oct 2007 12:57:23 -0700, John <John@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >I am trying to find ...

Task Create - Status

footer in excel #2
What is the easiest way to make a footer in excel that will print ON EVERY PAGE? EXCEL 2000 Page Setup Header/Footer Put your entry in Footer "LED1" <LED1@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:D226F524-7267-48D9-98AE-A1C768B6921E@microsoft.com... : What is the easiest way to make a footer in excel that will print ON EVERY : PAGE? EXCEL 2000 ...

Reference to cell with text is returning #VALUE
I have a cell that references a different cell that that consists of H9:J9 that is formated for and contains text. The referenceing cell shows #VALUE instead of the actual text that is in the cell? Any ideas as to why this is happening? Any help would be appreciated. What does your formula look like? A simple link formula can only reference a single cell. Like this: =H9 You can't reference a range of cells like this: =H9:J9 That is why you're getting the error. -- Biff Microsoft Excel MVP "Jorist" <Jorist@discussions.microsoft.com> ...

ALT-TAB not working with excel 2000
My problem is, as in the subject, that pressing ALT-TAB to switch among the files opened in Excel 2000 doesn't work anymore. I tried to re-install withouth success. I can only use CTRL-TAB because you haven't multiple sessions running (as usual in Excel 2000) but only one task of Excel. So, it's impossible to use ALT-TAB. Unfortunately, CTRL-TAB isn't useful as ALT-TAB because you can't switch from the current worksheet and the last used but you have to pass cyclicly through the files opened... It seems to be related to the fact that the same worksheets had been opened...

FLIPPING TEXT
HOW DO YOU FLIP THE TEXT FOR AN IRON ON TRANSFER TO PRINT CORRECTLY Can your printer do a mirror image? Might try WordArt. Select the text box, copy, paste special as a .wmf, flip... -- Mary Sauer MSFT MVP http://office.microsoft.com/ http://msauer.mvps.org/ news://msnews.microsoft.com "MIA" <MIA@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:EA27CE71-2642-4A76-850C-6EBE2AC31BB1@microsoft.com... > HOW DO YOU FLIP THE TEXT FOR AN IRON ON TRANSFER TO PRINT CORRECTLY On Fri, 10 Feb 2006 18:06:28 +0000, MIA wrote (in article <EA27CE71-2642-4A76-850C-6EBE2AC31BB1@mi...

Auto Send and Receive Not Working
I have a user, my boss, that we setup to POP whether internally or externally. It works when we manually hit the Send and Receive button; however, we would like to have it automatically do this. I setup the Schedule Auto Send and Receive for 2 minutes and it will not work. What could be the problem? RickCass On 29 Apr 2004 12:11, "RickCass" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >I have a user, my boss, that we setup to POP whether internally or >externally. It works when we manually hit the Send and Receive button; >however, we would like to have...

Create external database

Excel Function Problem
Hi, Please consider me an excel newbie! I am trying to find out how to write a function that checks a 7 digit numerical string entered into cell i.e. 7030000 against 50 possible strings. (Im guessing this is a multiple IF statement thing). Once the condition is true it then takes the value from cell J7, adds it to the value in cell D7. The end result being that D7 now contains a value equal to its original value + J7. Any help given would be appreciatted Many Thanks --- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com/ You might look at the SumIF function. It will add values together if...

How to create pie chart with %

excel with another reporting tool?
hi, I have only worked on vba macros where my input and output is both excel. Using macros most of the time it crashes and the end-user is then not comfortable with it. I wanted to go for a better solution. Not sure how go to about it. I was thinking of generating crystal reports. If i use crystal reports how is the format generated. I wanted to its feasibility study. Anyone who has done some work on this please go suggest. Will the end user have the authority to still edit the report. WIll it contain the formulas as we fianlly see in the excel. Please provide any infomartion that...

MIRROR EFECTS, TEXT
H I want to display text as you would view it in a mirror, any one with ideas on how to do this Select the Text Frame, copy it to the clipboard by Ctrl+C Then go to menu EDIT select Paste Special, then select 'Paste as Picture' or 'Paste as device independent Bitmapped image' or 'Paste as Windows Metafile' or something similar to the those, dependent on which version of Publisher you are using. You will now have a picture, and you can just use the horizontal flip - you now have mirror text. -- The US should free all those illegally held prisoners they are torturin...

when form created

Can't open excel documents
When I try to open an excel doc is 'stalls' ... getting stuck on 'virus scan' dialouge at the bottom of the sheet. I can open excel w/o a file and save one, but when I try opening an existing one, Excel simply won't do it and I eventually have to contl.alt.del. it in order to continue. Any ideas? ...

Creating a Brochure

Select items from list and show in text box
I want to be able to select an items from a list I have setup and have them show in a text box (possibly with the aid of a select button). Could someone please explain to me how to do this as I have no idea about Visual Basic and macros don't work? Thanks in advance Jeanette You can create a dropdown list with data validation: http://www.contextures.com/xlDataVal01.html Or, create a combobox on a UserForm: http://www.contextures.com/xlUserForm02.html rosscojet@tiscali.co.uk wrote: > I want to be able to select an items from a list I have setup and have > them show in a ...

how many lines per sheet in excel 2003
ave they increased the number of lines in excel 2003 or is it still 65536 Still, ever heard of 'categorizing'? Danny On Sun, 17 Jul 2005 16:04:01 -0700, Des53 <Des53@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: > ave they increased the number of lines in excel 2003 or is it still 65536 -- Using Opera's revolutionary e-mail client: http://www.opera.com/mail/ Hi Des, Row and column specifications are unchanged in xl2003 (65536 x 256). I have heard no suggestion that these are likely to change any time soon --- Regards, Norman "Des53" <Des53@discus...

similiar upgrade question, on upgrades do contact info auto load, or
do you have to use pst files All data contained in a *.pst file Other than that yr Q is a little hard to follow. "bob" <bob@donotspam> wrote in message news:ex66JE1qEHA.372@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl... > do you have to use pst files > > ...

excel should make it easier to have a 1 to 1 plot area in chart
Sometimes I would like the plot area to have a 1 to 1 ratio, so each little square of the gridlines are a square. ie, the y- axis could be 10, the x- axis could be 10, so the plot area would be square, or the y- axis could go from -10 to 10, with the same x- axis, so the plot area would have twice the y- axis than the x- axis. I think the way microsoft has this place worded is misleading, cause it says "Post your suggestion." I don't mean to put anyone off. ---------------- This post is a suggestion for Microsoft, and Microsoft responds to the suggestions with the most ...