Counting specific text in two columns.

I have two columns (a and B) which contain the following:-

Column A:-

Not_Chased, Regret, Stockist, Ordered, Chased, Pending, Lost, Opp_Log

Column B:-

List of countries (e.g. China, U.K. Netherlands, Germany, Spain, Italy,
Czech).

I would like to produce a matrix as following showing say Not-Chased for all
the individual countries, Regret for all countries, Stockist for all
countries… (see below)

	China	Czech	France	Germany	India	Grand Totals
LOST
Not_Chased
OPP_LOG
ORDERED
PENDING
REGRET
STOCKIST
Total

Any assistance given will be appreciated.
0
Pank (119)
8/10/2009 11:12:02 AM
excel 39879 articles. 2 followers. Follow

Assume your current data is in Sheet1. Set up another sheet in the way
you have shown, with countries in B1, C1, D1 etc, and LOST in A2,
Not_Chased in A3 etc. Put this formula in B2:

=3DSUMPRODUCT((Sheet1!$A$1:$A$100=3D$A2)*(Sheet1!$B$1:$B$100=3DB$1))

Adjust the range to suit how much data you have on Sheet1, then copy
this formula across and down as required. You might like to apply
conditional formatting to these cells such that if the cell contents
are zero then use a white foreground colour, so that zeros are not
shown.

Hope this helps.

Pete

On Aug 10, 12:12=A0pm, Pank <P...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
> I have two columns (a and B) which contain the following:-
>
> Column A:-
>
> Not_Chased, Regret, Stockist, Ordered, Chased, Pending, Lost, Opp_Log
>
> Column B:-
>
> List of countries (e.g. China, U.K. Netherlands, Germany, Spain, Italy,
> Czech).
>
> I would like to produce a matrix as following showing say Not-Chased for =
all
> the individual countries, Regret for all countries, Stockist for all
> countries=85 (see below)
>
> =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 China =A0 Czech =A0 France =A0Germany India =A0 Grand Tot=
als
> LOST =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =
=A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0
> Not_Chased =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =
=A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0
> OPP_LOG =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =
=A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0
> ORDERED =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =
=A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0
> PENDING =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =
=A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0
> REGRET =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =
=A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0
> STOCKIST =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =
=A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0
> Total
>
> Any assistance given will be appreciated.

0
pashurst (2576)
8/10/2009 12:20:31 PM
You may want to look into a pivottable.  If your data is laid out nicely
(and it sounds like it is), you could get some very nice summary reports pretty
quickly.

Here are a few links:

Debra Dalgleish's pictures at Jon Peltier's site:
http://peltiertech.com/Excel/Pivots/pivottables.htm
And Debra's own site:

John Walkenbach also has some at:
http://j-walk.com/ss/excel/files/general.htm
(look for Tony Gwynn's Hit Database)

Chip Pearson keeps Harald Staff's notes at:

MS has some at (xl2000 and xl2002):
http://office.microsoft.com/downloads/2000/XCrtPiv.aspx
http://office.microsoft.com/assistance/2002/articles/xlconPT101.aspx

--

Dave Peterson
0

Firstly many thanks for taking the time to help me.

I have tried Pete UK's solution and unfortunately all the figures displayed
in the matrix are 0. The only things that I have changed in the formula is
the range to be 5000 as opposed to 100 and the start range to start in A2 B2.

Any ideas whay 0's are returned rather than the actual numbers for the
appropriate criteria?

Your assistance is appreciated.

"Dave Peterson" wrote:

> You may want to look into a pivottable.  If your data is laid out nicely
> (and it sounds like it is), you could get some very nice summary reports pretty
> quickly.
>
> Here are a few links:
>
> Debra Dalgleish's pictures at Jon Peltier's site:
> http://peltiertech.com/Excel/Pivots/pivottables.htm
> And Debra's own site:
> http://www.contextures.com/xlPivot01.html
>
> John Walkenbach also has some at:
> http://j-walk.com/ss/excel/files/general.htm
> (look for Tony Gwynn's Hit Database)
>
> Chip Pearson keeps Harald Staff's notes at:
> http://www.cpearson.com/excel/pivots.htm
>
> MS has some at (xl2000 and xl2002):
> http://office.microsoft.com/downloads/2000/XCrtPiv.aspx
> http://office.microsoft.com/assistance/2002/articles/xlconPT101.aspx
>
> Pank wrote:
> >
> > I have two columns (a and B) which contain the following:-
> >
> > Column A:-
> >
> > Not_Chased, Regret, Stockist, Ordered, Chased, Pending, Lost, Opp_Log
> >
> > Column B:-
> >
> > List of countries (e.g. China, U.K. Netherlands, Germany, Spain, Italy,
> > Czech).
> >
> > I would like to produce a matrix as following showing say Not-Chased for all
> > the individual countries, Regret for all countries, Stockist for all
> > countries… (see below)
> >
> >         China   Czech   France  Germany India   Grand Totals
> > LOST
> > Not_Chased
> > OPP_LOG
> > ORDERED
> > PENDING
> > REGRET
> > STOCKIST
> > Total
> >
> > Any assistance given will be appreciated.
>
> --
>
> Dave Peterson

0
Pank (119)
8/10/2009 5:38:01 PM
Pete Uk,

Sort the displaying 0 problem by looking at the formula and worked out that
because I had transposed differently (i.e. column A was countries and rows
were Status) 0's were returned. Changed the formulae and all is well.

Once again many thanks to both you and Dave.

"Pank" wrote:

> Pete UK and Dave Peterson,
>
> Firstly many thanks for taking the time to help me.
>
> I have tried Pete UK's solution and unfortunately all the figures displayed
> in the matrix are 0. The only things that I have changed in the formula is
> the range to be 5000 as opposed to 100 and the start range to start in A2 B2.
>
> Any ideas whay 0's are returned rather than the actual numbers for the
> appropriate criteria?
>
> Your assistance is appreciated.
>
> "Dave Peterson" wrote:
>
> > You may want to look into a pivottable.  If your data is laid out nicely
> > (and it sounds like it is), you could get some very nice summary reports pretty
> > quickly.
> >
> > Here are a few links:
> >
> > Debra Dalgleish's pictures at Jon Peltier's site:
> > http://peltiertech.com/Excel/Pivots/pivottables.htm
> > And Debra's own site:
> > http://www.contextures.com/xlPivot01.html
> >
> > John Walkenbach also has some at:
> > http://j-walk.com/ss/excel/files/general.htm
> > (look for Tony Gwynn's Hit Database)
> >
> > Chip Pearson keeps Harald Staff's notes at:
> > http://www.cpearson.com/excel/pivots.htm
> >
> > MS has some at (xl2000 and xl2002):
> > http://office.microsoft.com/downloads/2000/XCrtPiv.aspx
> > http://office.microsoft.com/assistance/2002/articles/xlconPT101.aspx
> >
> > Pank wrote:
> > >
> > > I have two columns (a and B) which contain the following:-
> > >
> > > Column A:-
> > >
> > > Not_Chased, Regret, Stockist, Ordered, Chased, Pending, Lost, Opp_Log
> > >
> > > Column B:-
> > >
> > > List of countries (e.g. China, U.K. Netherlands, Germany, Spain, Italy,
> > > Czech).
> > >
> > > I would like to produce a matrix as following showing say Not-Chased for all
> > > the individual countries, Regret for all countries, Stockist for all
> > > countries… (see below)
> > >
> > >         China   Czech   France  Germany India   Grand Totals
> > > LOST
> > > Not_Chased
> > > OPP_LOG
> > > ORDERED
> > > PENDING
> > > REGRET
> > > STOCKIST
> > > Total
> > >
> > > Any assistance given will be appreciated.
> >
> > --
> >
> > Dave Peterson

0
Pank (119)
8/10/2009 6:05:01 PM
You're welcome - glad you managed to suss it out.

Pete

On Aug 10, 7:05=A0pm, Pank <P...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
> Pete Uk,
>
> Sort the displaying 0 problem by looking at the formula and worked out th=
at
> because I had transposed differently (i.e. column A was countries and row=
> were Status) 0's were returned. Changed the formulae and all is well.
>
> Once again many thanks to both you and Dave.
>

> "Pank" wrote:
> > Pete UK and Dave Peterson,
>
> > Firstly many thanks for taking the time to help me.
>
> > I have tried Pete UK's solution and unfortunately all the figures displ=
ayed
> > in the matrix are 0. The only things that I have changed in the formula=
 is
> > the range to be 5000 as opposed to 100 and the start range to start in =
A2 B2.

> > Any ideas whay 0's are returned rather than the actual numbers for the
> > appropriate criteria?
>
> > Your assistance is appreciated.
>
> > "Dave Peterson" wrote:
>
> > > You may want to look into a pivottable. =A0If your data is laid out n=
icely
> > > (and it sounds like it is), you could get some very nice summary repo=
rts pretty
> > > quickly.
>
> > > Here are a few links:
>
> > > Debra Dalgleish's pictures at Jon Peltier's site:
> > >http://peltiertech.com/Excel/Pivots/pivottables.htm
> > > And Debra's own site:
> > >http://www.contextures.com/xlPivot01.html
>
> > > John Walkenbach also has some at:
> > >http://j-walk.com/ss/excel/files/general.htm
> > > (look for Tony Gwynn's Hit Database)
>
> > > Chip Pearson keeps Harald Staff's notes at:
> > >http://www.cpearson.com/excel/pivots.htm
>
> > > MS has some at (xl2000 and xl2002):
> > >http://office.microsoft.com/downloads/2000/XCrtPiv.aspx
> > >http://office.microsoft.com/assistance/2002/articles/xlconPT101.aspx

> > > --
>
> > > Dave Peterson- Hide quoted text -

pashurst (2576)

Pivot table and counting.

Cycle Counting

Import text file from MS Word into MS Publisher.
I have created a text file in Word and a photo file in Publisher and would like to merge the two. When I imported Word, it seemed to be totally separate from the Publisher document - 7 pages of Word and 8 pages of photos. I want the Word pages to precede the Publisher pages. How is this done? >-----Original Message----- >I have created a text file in Word and a photo file in Publisher and would >like to merge the two. When I imported Word, it seemed to be totally >separate from the Publisher document - 7 pages of Word and 8 pages of photos. > >I want the Word pages ...

Two stacked bars
Hi. I would like to create a stacked bar chart that actually has two stacked bars for each "X" category. Series 1 is in b3 through b7 Series 2 is in c3 through c7 Series 3 is in d3 through d7 Series 4 is in e3 through e7 I would like to stack series 1 and 2 together and series 3 and 4 together. Is there a way to do this? Thanks, Mike. As answered in microsoft.public.excel.misc: If you stagger your data, you can create side-by-side stacked columns. Jon Peltier has links to instructions on his web site: http://peltiertech.com/Excel/ChartsHowTo/ClusterStack.html Mike D. wr...

Adding Text to Charts
I have created a chart in Excel that tracks one of the stock indexes. I have been able to point arrows to specific days and add text so I know what was the reason the stock index was up or down on that day. However, as my chart expands the arrows and text are no longer associated with those day I initially intended it for. Is there any way in Excel to associate text with specific day and have it attached so that if the chart grows or shrinks it will always be associated with that particular day. Thanks Hi Roy, The trick is to group the graphic element and the chart. When adding a graph...

Count

Openning Grouped Columns in Protected Sheets
We want to put such a protection to the sheet that, the protection will not prevent the user from openning grouped columns. This is possible only through a macro, for example: Sub a() With Sheet1 .EnableOutlining = True .Protect , True, True, True, True End With End Sub This setting does not get saved with the workbook, so it must be reset by running this macro each time the workbook is opened. -- Jim Rech Excel MVP ...

sharing pst between two profiles, possible?
Hi, I'm trying to setup two outlook profiles and would like to share the same pst so my users don't have to download the same messages twice, as they are now. Does anyone know how to do this? On Nov 14, 12:36 pm, Mike B <Mike B...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: > Hi, > I'm trying to setup two outlook profiles and would like to share the same > pst so my users don't have to download the same messages twice, as they are > now. Does anyone know how to do this? As long as it's not being opened at the same time, I think you can just point the pst data...

configure text box
I recently upgraded to Publisher 2003. I can't find how to configure text boxes to overlap each other and keep the text in the same position. In my old version, there was a "check" box in the format text box to allow for this. I've tried different wrapping options in 2003, but can't figure it out. You never have been able to do this in any version of Publisher. You are dreaming about a Text Box - never existed. You either have to place one Text Frame on the Background (Ctrl+M) or convert one to a graphic. -- "If you don't know where you are going, any road...

Line count

Simple...Update Text Box in Chart
Hello, I have a chart in an MS Excel worksheet and I would like to change the value/caption of a textbox( Text Box 20). I have only been able to change the title of the chart with the following: With MyChart.Workbooks(1).Worksheets("Chart").ChartObjects(1).Chart .HasTitle = True .ChartTitle.Text = "Summary of Report" & date() 'Add Today's Date End With Do I have to reference the chart or do I have to reference the textbox itself? Hi, If the shape is actual embedded in the chart object then something like, ActiveChart.Shapes(&quo...

Text to Columns 06-01-10
Hi. I have a column where I have names and surnames. I want to put name in one column and surname in anoter column. In order to do this, I use Text to Columns, but I have the following issue: if the cell contains for example Juan Pérez, it works ok, but when the cell contains Juan De los Santos, it assumes there are three surnames, and then put me one word in each column. This is the result, with the example mentioned: A B C D Juan Pérez Juan De los Santos How can I indicate that...

Disappearing text
When I paste some text from a web page into Word 2007, I can edit the text but it does not print. It does not appear in print preview either. However I can read it in Word. I notice the text has underlining. What gives? Sounds as if the text is formatted as hidden. Select it and clear the "Hidden" option in the Font dialog box (Ctrl+D). If you see a filled box (instead of a check mark), just click the option twice to turn it off. (The filled box indicates different settings in the selection; for example, some text may be hidden while other text is not.) -- Stefan B...

double-click in between two rows or two columns
How to avoid cursor jumping around to different positions when I double-click in between two rows or two column ? Thanks Hi This is a feature of Excel! When you double click the border of the selected cell, the cursor will go to the edge of the contiguous data on the sheet. It's very useful for jumping to the start/end of data. I don't know of a way to disable it. -- Andy. "Ben" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:bf5d01c4382c$a19b1bf0$a601280a@phx.gbl... > How to avoid cursor jumping around to different positions > when I double-c...

Counting sales

Column Forumulas
I'm sure this is simple, but i suck with excel. Okay, I want to mulitply column A by column B and paste the product into column C. For example, A2 x B2 = C2, but for say, 100 rows without having to do it by hand. -- GuitarFingers ------------------------------------------------------------------------ GuitarFingers's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=34737 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=544964 Select the 100 cells in C, starting at C2 In the formula bar, enter =A2*B2 Use Ctrl-Enter to enter the formula...

How to size static text box?
I've got a relatively simple dialog that includes some static text along the border containing a mini-help message. On my two systems here with Win2K and WinXP at both 1200x1024 and 1600x1200 resolution the text displays fine. At another location with both WinNT4.0 at 1024x768 and Win2K at 1200x1024 part of the text is cut off because the box is too small for it. It's possible, I think, that the problem isn't the resolution of the displays but the size of the "standard text" font, but I don't want to start changing a dozen different desktop fonts until I find which ...

COUNT ? need formula
Hi, I want to track the results of my teams sales performance. I record if it is a sale, no sale, cancelled etc in column M. I thought I'd be able to use the COUNT function/formula to be able to search for all the SALES in column M and place the result in a cell ( column O )but I can't work it out. Any ideas? Damian Hi! Try this: =COUNTIF(M1:M100,"sale") Biff "Diamond Jones" <kwanzaNOSPAM@optusnet.com.au> wrote in message news:43a0e897$0$17704$afc38c87@news.optusnet.com.au... > Hi, > > I want to track the results of my teams sales perf...

Pasting text from Word 2008 into dreamweaver
It doesn't work. This is a major problem and jams my workflow. Yes I can drag text from word to DW or I can paste in code view but this kills all formatting. This makes 2008 a definite no no for purchase as far as I am concerned and I am sure many other people.<br> <br> K <kokney@officeformac.com> wrote: > It doesn't work. This is a major problem and jams my workflow. I remember other people posting about this in the group. As I remember it, Office places multiple formats fo the text in the clipboard and it's up to DW to decide which one to take. Apparentl...

How to retrieve value from specific cell value?
Does anyone have any suggestions on how to retrieve value from specific cell value with specific worksheet? I would like to create a if-statement within macro, If specific cell within specific worksheet = 1 then process following code End If Does anyone have any suggestions? Thanks in advance for any suggestions Eric hi If Sheets("sheet1").Range("A1") = 1 Then MsgBox "run code" Else MsgBox "skip code" End If regards FSt1 "Eric" wrote: > Does anyone have any suggestions on how to retrieve value from specific cell &...

disappearing text
Version: 2008 I am working on a word Project Gallery and one page in the doc. has text that is not recognized in the toolbox and it disappears as I scroll down the doc. I can't seem to locate it to edit or wrap around a graphic. I need help ASAP because i have have it done by monday. help please. bob What do you mean "working on a word Project Gallery"? The Project Gallery is a setup of starter templates. Are you working on a set of starter templates, or are you writing a document based on one of those templates? What do you mean "text not recognised"? ...

Count Function
I am creating a report for the number of pupils being collected at a certain collection time e.g. 14:00hr and 15:00hrs using the formula =Count([Child Last Name]) in the collection time footer However when i try to count the overall number of pupils in the footer using the same formula, 'Error' appears on screen? Thanks There are potentially a dozen footer sections in a report. Which one is giving you a problem? What is the name of the control? What is the exact formula? -- Duane Hookom Microsoft Access MVP "ELo" wrote: > I am creating a r...