Counting misc object in cells

Hi,

hoping someone can shed some light on this.

I want to sum a column that contains the following symbol "�".

The following formula does not work.

=COUNTA(C5:C35, "�"), where "�" would count for 1, and an unfilled cell
equals 0.

Help appreciated.

regards, Nik

--
Ntisch
Ntisch's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=5791

excel 39879 articles. 2 followers. Follow

HI Nik

Try:

=COUNTIF(C5:C35,"�")

Regards
Shau

--
Shaun
ShaunM's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=1861

Thanks Shaun - works a treat.

--
Ntisch
Ntisch's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=5791
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=497774

Cell formating in Excel?
Is there a way to have a scroll bar in a single cell? No. -- Best Regards, Luke M "pmarina" <pmarina@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:5D25B665-B7B8-477D-AAF8-80A347FFA0DD@microsoft.com... > Is there a way to have a scroll bar in a single cell? ...

Excel-how (find/replace) for multifmat cells w/o changing fmat
For a client, i need to be able to find and replace words in cells with 2 formats. But when you replace them,it changes the format of the whole cell, and not just what you changed. Is there any way to work around this without changing the format after all of the find and replaces? Saved from a previous post, but this one has some wordwrap problems fixed: I think you'd have to keep track of each character's font attributes. This works very slowly, but works: Option Explicit Option Compare Text Type myCharacter myChar As String myLen As Long myName As String myFo...

Pivot table and counting.

Cycle Counting

Set RN = Range(Cells(2, 1), Cells(r, 1)) error
What wrong with this. It create error. How can I improve to get rid the error? Set RN = Range(Cells(2, 1), Cells(r, 1)) Thanks Daniel Hi Daniel, Too much missing information - has r been declared and what data type is it and what value does it have. What property of the range are you trying to store in the variable RN? What type of variable is RN and has it been declared. -- Thanks, Shane Devenshire "Daniel" wrote: > What wrong with this. It create error. How can I improve to get rid the > error? > > Set RN = Range(Cells(2, 1), Cells(r, 1)) > &...

SQL 2008 Loop through objects and set permissions
Hi I am developing a new SQL 2008 db for a client and they will be using it for basic functions while I continue to develop it. I am using names for the objects that tell me which users / roles are allowed to execute, select, read etc but it can take a lot of time to set the permissions - and it is easy to forget to do it. I would like to create a stored proc which would loop through each set of objects (ie the tables, views and SPs) and set their permissions according to my naming rules (eg SPs with names beginning AP - - grant execute to role1, read to role2). Can anyone get me star...

Combining multiple cell values with "hard" carriage return separating each
Hello, I have several values in separate cells that I would like to combine into a single cell with a carriage return (Alt-Enter) separating each value. I basically want to take a column of values and turn it into a text file with the values each on their own line. I learned that Chr(10) is a line feed. (A1 =) 'line one text (A2 =) 'line two text What I want is for A3 to contain: (A3 =) line one text line two ext That is, I want the values of A1 and A2 combined as if I typed them in and separated them with Alt-Enter. I tried a direct formula in the destination cell: ...

Object does not support this function????????
I have a report off of a crosstab_query that picks dates from a table to match with names in another table. The query works, the report works...to an extent. I read here in another post how to change the forecolor and backcolor w/VBS. On my computer at home it works. On my computer at work, I get the error above. I have kept the db's in Access2k because of the different versions of Access on my Network. I use both Access2k and Access2007 at home and work. Help Please this report is critical to our certification to continue to be open(treatment facility). I forgot to put my co...

To keep in just one cell all values related to a monthly rate
I have to update in a monthly basis a currency rate. I know that there is a function, formula (or something like that) to link a month descripton to a number. e.g. September09 1,325 October09 2,235 November09 1,258 I would like to select correspondent month and the cell be updated with the value. Data Validation dropdown list for choosing the month combined with a lookup table and VLOOKUP function. For help on creating data validation dropdown lists see Debra Dalgleish's site. http://www.contextures.on.ca/xlDataVal01.html For help on VLOOKUP to populat...

Runtime Error 1004: Application-defined or object-defined error
Hello: Any idea what's causing this error? I have run this before with different scenario, but it now fails. It was written by others. Thankyou, Mary :confused: ' -- if buildable, process for partial constraints If isBuildable Then minBuildable = 100 Set partialConstraints = New Collection ' -- look for the primary (most restrictive) constraint on thi polygon, ' -- count the total number of constraints For Each cons In constraints If wsLoad.Cells(rLoad, cConstraints(cons.Index)) = "1" Then ERROR HERE If cons.PrimaryBuildable < minBuildable Then min...

Can I limit a cell to 2 characters?
Is there a way in Excel to limit the number of characters in a cell? Thanks Frank By checking the length of the cell =LEN(A1)=2 in your custom validation. Look for Data Validation on Debra Dalgleish's site. --- HTH, David McRitchie, Microsoft MVP - Excel [site changed Nov. 2001] My Excel Pages: http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/excel/excel.htm Search Page: http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/excel/search.htm "Frankc" <Frankc@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:842747F1-1792-4BB5-B3CE-707C7CC5F88F@microsoft.com... > Is there a way in Excel to lim...

format cells #4
hi. how can i set by default the cell formatting to 'general' or 'number' or even 'text'? i mean i dont want excel to correct let's say: 1.5 to 01.may or 9/12 to 09.dec. is this possible? thanks. (i have some programs which export data to excel and instead of numbers in excel appear dates and i can't set the cell format before the data is exported) -- notrace2004 ------------------------------------------------------------------------ notrace2004's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=34817 View this thread: http://www....

Count

change highlight color on active cells
How do I change the active highlight color of an active cell. Louis Only though VBA. Private Sub Worksheet_SelectionChange(ByVal Target As Excel.Range) Static OldCell As Range If Not OldCell Is Nothing Then OldCell.Interior.ColorIndex = xlColorIndexNone End If Target.Interior.ColorIndex = 6 'yellow Set OldCell = Target End Sub This is sheet event code. Right-click on the sheet tab and "View Code". Copy and paste into that module. Chip Pearson has a great add-in named Rowliner.xla that will make the highlighting available for all sheets and workbooks. The code above w...

Newbie question / plug in a value for a cell based on a range for that value
Hey guys, New to Excel so sorry if this explanation isn't the clearest in terms of correct terminology. In one section of my spreadsheet I have a list of percentage values associated with numbers 1-20. For example #10 is listed with the percentage value of 38.4% in the cell next to it (O14 and P14). In another section of the spreadsheet I have a quick formula that I'd like to use these %'s based on what number (1-20) is entered. In my spreadsheet the % I want to use for this #10 is listed in P14 (38.4%). What can I plug into my formula so when I enter "10" is kno...

Transferring Misc Amount from Sales Order to Invoice
We have a sales order that's been transferred to several invoices so far. Before we transfer it to the next invoice, we want to change the amount of the Miscellaneous field so that this new Miscellaneous amount appears on the next invoice. However, we get "The miscellaneous amount has been transferred and can't be changed". Is there any way around this? Or, must we enter the Misc amount after the invoice has been created? No way around it. You will need to change the amount on the invoice. Best regards, -- MG.- Mariano Gomez, MIS, MCP, PMP Maximum Global Business...

Formatting cells in Excel with Ascending/Descending order
I am trying to insert a drop down asceding/descending arrow in the cell of the excel document. When you click on the arrow which is a small box on the right side of the cell, it will organize all figures/data in that column and you can choose between ascending/descending, or how you want to organize it. Thank you -- Andrew ...

Line count

Counting sales

How to format in a cell that has both text and a formula
I have a cell with this formula ="James Cedric V. Sebua ("& ((TODAY()-B14)/365) & ")" The display is this James Cedric V. Sebua (5.55890410958904) And I want it to be this: James Cedric V. Sebua (5) Thanks Dave Hi Dave, Try: ="James Cedric V. Sebua ("& INT((TODAY()-B14)/365) & ")" -- Cheers macropod [Microsoft MVP - Word] "Dave" <dave@accessdatapros> wrote in message news:EA033D26-48C7-4D91-8855-621A76C8367D@microsoft.com... >I have a cell with this formula > > > =&...

how do I lock an object position in Publisher?
Put it on the background (Master Page) ctrl+m. -- Mary Sauer MSFT MVP http://office.microsoft.com/ http://msauer.mvps.org/ news://msnews.microsoft.com "babbs" <babbs@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:866F03CD-6D9A-4092-9798-26405826BBE8@microsoft.com... > ...

How to retrieve value from specific cell value?
Does anyone have any suggestions on how to retrieve value from specific cell value with specific worksheet? I would like to create a if-statement within macro, If specific cell within specific worksheet = 1 then process following code End If Does anyone have any suggestions? Thanks in advance for any suggestions Eric hi If Sheets("sheet1").Range("A1") = 1 Then MsgBox "run code" Else MsgBox "skip code" End If regards FSt1 "Eric" wrote: > Does anyone have any suggestions on how to retrieve value from specific cell &...