COUNTIF (?) on two criteria

I have a spreadsheet that logs work activities and records team
members' completion of project units.

Column B records team member names.  Column C has project unit status -
'pending', 'beta' or 'completed'.

It's easy to set up a formula to count how many units are allocated to
each team member - =COUNTIF(B1:B1000,"Joe").  But what I need to do is
set up formulas to count how many units Joe has completed, or has
pending or at beta, and this means assessing data in both columns -
which COUNTIF won't do.

This doesn't strike me as an especially uncommon thing to want to do,
and I'd guess it may be straightforward - any help from the assembled
Excel experts would be very gratefully received.

DC

notareal1 (9)
5/18/2008 6:46:55 AM
excel 39879 articles. 2 followers. Follow

Django Cat

How about

=SUMPRODUCT((A1:A17="Joe")*(B1:B17="Beta"))

--
HTH
Nick Hodge

Nick Hodge wrote:

> =SUMPRODUCT((A1:A17="Joe")*(B1:B17="Beta"))

Thanks, Nick. Yes, that works.   If you've got a minute to post
explaining *how* it works I'd be really grateful - I've not used
SUMPRODUCT before (and I can't see how the * in the middle of the
formula is working).

Django

notareal1 (9)
5/18/2008 9:04:52 AM
Django

All SUMPRODUCT does is take a series of arrays and multiply one element by
the same element in the next array and sums the result (product), however it
has lots of other neat uses. Best detailed here

 In your case it is taking two arrays. A1:A17 and B1:B17. It also has a
criteria on each so each one is coerced into TRUE or FALSE (True = 1, False
= 0)

So if we are looking at the first array/criteria group, looking for "Joe"
you end up with 1 where the cell is Joe and 0 where it is not.

Now take the second array/criteria group, looking for "Beta", again we end
up with an array of 1's, where the cell is "Beta", 0's where it is not.

So, we now have two 'matching' arrays of 0's and 1's.

If we multiply each element of the array (your original question), we get a
series of...

1*1 = 1 (Where "Joe" is TRUE (1) AND "Beta" is TRUE (1))
1*0 = 0 (Where "Joe" is TRUE (1) AND "Beta" is FALSE (0))
0*1 = 0 (Where "Joe" is FALSE (0) AND "Beta" is TRUE (1))

SUMPRODUCT simply now takes these results 1,0,1,0,0,0,1,0 and SUMS them.
Effecting a count of the 1's.

That's probably as clear as mud! Read the web page will probably do more for
you.  It can also be used for multiple SUMIF criteria and bear in mind,
Excel 2007 has a few multi-criteria ones build in

SUMIFS, COUNTIFS, AVERAGEIFS...

--

Nick Hodge wrote:

> From: "Nick Hodge" <nick_hodge@zen.co.uk>
> Subject: Re: COUNTIF (?) on two criteria
> Date: Sun, 18 May 2008 11:15:24 +0100
> Newsgroups: microsoft.public.excel
>
> Django
>
> All SUMPRODUCT does is take a series of arrays and multiply one
> element by the same element in the next array and sums the result
> (product), however it has lots of other neat uses. Best detailed here
> http://www.xldynamic.com/source/xld.SUMPRODUCT.html
>
> In your case it is taking two arrays. A1:A17 and B1:B17. It also has
> a criteria on each so each one is coerced into TRUE or FALSE (True =
> 1, False = 0)
>
> So if we are looking at the first array/criteria group, looking for
> "Joe" you end up with 1 where the cell is Joe and 0 where it is not.
>
> Now take the second array/criteria group, looking for "Beta", again
> we end up with an array of 1's, where the cell is "Beta", 0's where
> it is not.
>
> So, we now have two 'matching' arrays of 0's and 1's.
>
> If we multiply each element of the array (your original question), we
> get a series of...
>
> 1*1 = 1 (Where "Joe" is TRUE (1) AND "Beta" is TRUE (1))
> 1*0 = 0 (Where "Joe" is TRUE (1) AND "Beta" is FALSE (0))
> 0*1 = 0 (Where "Joe" is FALSE (0) AND "Beta" is TRUE (1))
>
> SUMPRODUCT simply now takes these results 1,0,1,0,0,0,1,0 and SUMS
> them. Effecting a count of the 1's.
>
> That's probably as clear as mud!

No, it does make sense.

Read the web page will probably do
> more for you.

Will do.

It can also be used for multiple SUMIF criteria and
> bear in mind, Excel 2007 has a few multi-criteria ones build in
>
> SUMIFS, COUNTIFS, AVERAGEIFS...

Thanks again, and I'll have a play with those various functions.

Django
Sotonian Born and Bred, once of Chandlers Ford, now in Derbyshire.

notareal1 (9)
5/18/2008 10:28:25 AM
Actually, I am Chandlers Ford too, just few people know where that is!

--

> Nick Hodge wrote:
>
>> From: "Nick Hodge" <nick_hodge@zen.co.uk>
>> Subject: Re: COUNTIF (?) on two criteria
>> Date: Sun, 18 May 2008 11:15:24 +0100
>> Newsgroups: microsoft.public.excel
>>
>> Django
>>
>> All SUMPRODUCT does is take a series of arrays and multiply one
>> element by the same element in the next array and sums the result
>> (product), however it has lots of other neat uses. Best detailed here
>> http://www.xldynamic.com/source/xld.SUMPRODUCT.html
>>
>> In your case it is taking two arrays. A1:A17 and B1:B17. It also has
>> a criteria on each so each one is coerced into TRUE or FALSE (True =
>> 1, False = 0)
>>
>> So if we are looking at the first array/criteria group, looking for
>> "Joe" you end up with 1 where the cell is Joe and 0 where it is not.
>>
>> Now take the second array/criteria group, looking for "Beta", again
>> we end up with an array of 1's, where the cell is "Beta", 0's where
>> it is not.
>>
>> So, we now have two 'matching' arrays of 0's and 1's.
>>
>> If we multiply each element of the array (your original question), we
>> get a series of...
>>
>> 1*1 = 1 (Where "Joe" is TRUE (1) AND "Beta" is TRUE (1))
>> 1*0 = 0 (Where "Joe" is TRUE (1) AND "Beta" is FALSE (0))
>> 0*1 = 0 (Where "Joe" is FALSE (0) AND "Beta" is TRUE (1))
>>
>> SUMPRODUCT simply now takes these results 1,0,1,0,0,0,1,0 and SUMS
>> them. Effecting a count of the 1's.
>>
>> That's probably as clear as mud!
>
> No, it does make sense.
>
> Read the web page will probably do
>> more for you.
>
> Will do.
>
> It can also be used for multiple SUMIF criteria and
>> bear in mind, Excel 2007 has a few multi-criteria ones build in
>>
>> SUMIFS, COUNTIFS, AVERAGEIFS...
>
> Thanks again, and I'll have a play with those various functions.
>

> Django
> Sotonian Born and Bred, once of Chandlers Ford, now in Derbyshire.

They do, they just don't admit it!

--
HTH

Bob

"Nick Hodge" <nick_hodge@zen.co.uk> wrote in message
> Actually, I am Chandlers Ford too, just few people know where that is!
>
> --
> HTH
> Nick Hodge
> Microsoft MVP - Excel
> Southampton, England
> nick_hodgeTAKETHISOUT@zen.co.ukANDTHIS
> web: www.excelusergroup.org
> web: www.nickhodge.co.uk
>

> "Django Cat" <notareal@address.co.uk> wrote in message
>> Nick Hodge wrote:
>>
>>> From: "Nick Hodge" <nick_hodge@zen.co.uk>
>>> Subject: Re: COUNTIF (?) on two criteria
>>> Date: Sun, 18 May 2008 11:15:24 +0100
>>> Newsgroups: microsoft.public.excel
>>>
>>> Django
>>>
>>> All SUMPRODUCT does is take a series of arrays and multiply one
>>> element by the same element in the next array and sums the result
>>> (product), however it has lots of other neat uses. Best detailed here
>>> http://www.xldynamic.com/source/xld.SUMPRODUCT.html
>>>
>>> In your case it is taking two arrays. A1:A17 and B1:B17. It also has
>>> a criteria on each so each one is coerced into TRUE or FALSE (True =
>>> 1, False = 0)
>>>
>>> So if we are looking at the first array/criteria group, looking for
>>> "Joe" you end up with 1 where the cell is Joe and 0 where it is not.
>>>
>>> Now take the second array/criteria group, looking for "Beta", again
>>> we end up with an array of 1's, where the cell is "Beta", 0's where
>>> it is not.
>>>
>>> So, we now have two 'matching' arrays of 0's and 1's.
>>>
>>> If we multiply each element of the array (your original question), we
>>> get a series of...
>>>
>>> 1*1 = 1 (Where "Joe" is TRUE (1) AND "Beta" is TRUE (1))
>>> 1*0 = 0 (Where "Joe" is TRUE (1) AND "Beta" is FALSE (0))
>>> 0*1 = 0 (Where "Joe" is FALSE (0) AND "Beta" is TRUE (1))
>>>
>>> SUMPRODUCT simply now takes these results 1,0,1,0,0,0,1,0 and SUMS
>>> them. Effecting a count of the 1's.
>>>
>>> That's probably as clear as mud!
>>
>> No, it does make sense.
>>
>> Read the web page will probably do
>>> more for you.
>>
>> Will do.
>>
>> It can also be used for multiple SUMIF criteria and
>>> bear in mind, Excel 2007 has a few multi-criteria ones build in
>>>
>>> SUMIFS, COUNTIFS, AVERAGEIFS...
>>
>> Thanks again, and I'll have a play with those various functions.
>>

>> Django
>> Sotonian Born and Bred, once of Chandlers Ford, now in Derbyshire.
>>
>> --

0
bob.NGs1 (1661)

IF, COUNTIF
Can someone explain why these two expressions differ referring to the value 5? IF(A2:A10<5 etc. ) but COUNTIF(A2:A10,"<5") requires a comma and quotes Wouldn't it make sense for them to be the same? Just wondering. For us it would seem to make sense, but for the computer not so much :-) My understanding is that in the IF statement the <5 is a Comparison Operation which is a part of the 1st Function Argument whereas in the COUNTIF it is a Criteria Reference supplied as the 2nd independent Function Argument. If it stood alone as simply <5 it would ...

Outer Join and a two step query
Hi, I need to list which dog breeds have never been sold at the Store by using Outer Join and a two step query. Anyone can explain for me Out join Thank you all My tables are as follows: Table Animal has AnimalID Category Breed Table Customers CustomerID Phone Name Table Sales CustomeriD SaleDate SaleID Table Saleanimal SaleID AnimalID SalePrice Table SaleItem SaleiD ItemID The following SQL should list which dogs have not been sold at the store: SELECT Animal.AnimalID, Animal.Category, Animal.Breed FROM Animal LEFT JOIN Saleanimal ON Animal.Animal...

connecting two chart lines
Hi. I have two data series which represent declining balances for a home loan. At some point I transfer the balance in series1 to series2. So Series1 stops at its last balance. Series2 will jump vertically, because it has the balance from series1 added to it. Then series2 once again continues with a declining balance. My question is how do I create a vertical line to join series1 with series2.Thanks Bob - You could add a third series with only two points, the endpoints of the two series. If it is really a vertical line, you could also use an error bar of the appropriate length on on...

Print on two sides
I have an application that printed multiple pages and I have a printer (BROTHER 5370DW) that allows this. I select the printer using the CommonDialog1.ShowPrinter command and then click on the printer preferences to select two-sided printing. However, when the actual printing takes place is does not print two-sided. Is there something in VB print methods that would over-ride this option or not allow it? Marv On Jun 15, 2:40=A0pm, M Wade <nowh...@columbus.rr.com> wrote: > I have an application that printed multiple pages and I have a printer > (BROTHER 5370D...

put more than 255 field on report from two tables
Hi, My project is in MS Access 2002. In that I want to generate Report which contain fields 258.I can put 255 fields but how can i add more 3 fields. when i generate report for 258 fields than it will show msg too many fields. how can i solve this problem? It is a bit unusual that you would need to use that many fields. However, you can get around this limitation by using subreports. -- Duane Hookom Microsoft Access MVP If I have helped you, please help me by donating to UCP http://www.access.hookom.net/UCP/Default.htm "billy_pit" wrote: > Hi, > My project is in MS Ac...

Two Screens Part 2...
We are running MS Excel 97 with MS XP OS on a computer with a Matox drive where we have two screens. Excel used to open on the left hand screen but now opens onto the right hand screen. I'm unable to resize the excel application by selecting the border. How can i get it to re-open on the left hand screen as a default? Note: The re-size button acts the same as the minimise button. regards > Wayne ------------------------ I presume you're running it in full screen mode? Click on the box at the upper right of Excel which allows you to resize the window. At that ...

More than two Recipient Update Services
I have noticed that my Exchange 2003 servers have 3 Recipient update services. One is the Enterprise one, but the other two are just Recipient Update Service and Recipient Update Service 1. Why would I have two of them, can can that cause problems? They are pointing to two different domain controllers and we only have a single domain in our forest. Thanks in advance Marc On Fri, 20 Jan 2006 06:20:02 -0800, "Marc" <Marc@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >I have noticed that my Exchange 2003 servers have 3 Recipient update >services. One is the Enterprise one, b...

Comparing two spreadsheets.
I have two spreadsheets here, which hold a list of people and there addresses. However, the original sheet is different to the new sheet, as some people have been removed, changed address etc. I need to print out some address labels for all the 'new' or 'changed' people because I've already done a label list for the originial sheet. I cant find anything in excel to compare the sheets, someones telling me pivot tables but I dont think that would work? I've tried 'Excel Compare' which costs money before it will display ALL the changes, is there any other way ar...

CountIf Statement
Can anybody help? I am creating a formula in a cell of a spreadsheet which will Count all in stances of "distribution centre" within a column This is achieved using the =COUNTIF('calls closesdon 3 - 4 Dec'!G4:G14, "GROUP") I was wondering whether it was possible in excel to use a statemen like =COUNTIF('calls closesdon 3 - 4 Dec'!G4:G14, "GROUP") and (nex expression) any ideas -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com You can use sumproduct to count with more than one condition multiple ranges =SUMPRODUCT(--(Range1="GROUP&...

How to fill cell with two combobox values?
I am looking for VB code for command button that fills two combo box values and a toggle value (Y/N) behind each other in one cell. Bart Excel 2003 ...

Can I use conditional formatting between two sheets to track chan.
I need to be able to track changes between two sheets. One will be locked and the other able to to be edited. I want to turn any cells blue that are changed and not equal to the static sheet. Conditional formatting won't let me go between two sheets. Is there any other way to do it? Thanks. D Yes you can, you need to use a defined name (insert>name>define) and not something like =Sheet2!A2 -- Regards, Peo Sjoblom "dawleen" <dawleen@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:7B66F2D3-8A26-4752-A3D7-FE5B1A4622A0@microsoft.com... > I need to be able ...

Countif ...
I have a column with phone numbers. I want to count how many phone numbers have the area code "214" and "972". Thanks, the first formula worked. "Jason Morin" wrote: > The formula depends on how your phone numbers are formatted and whether they > are text or actual 10 digit numbers. For example, if they are text and you > simply need the first 3 numbers in the cell, try: > > =SUMPRODUCT(--(LEFT(A1:A10,3)={"214","972"})) > > If the area codes are enclosed in parentheses, you could use: > > =SUM(COUNTIF(A1:A10...

Criteria/CountIf and Pivot Table
Hello: My data looks like this ID Date CWA Amount 1 08/12/2006 0 $0.00 2 08/13/2006 1 $10.00 3 08/14/2006 1 $20.00 4 08/01/2006 0 $0.00 Based on the above data, I want to create a pivot, by month (I know I only have Aug here) to show the following: Sum of CWA Count of CWA Percent of cases that were submitted with CWA. The CWA is an indicator field that looks at another field (not listed here) to determine if there is cash in a...

Two Deep XML?
This is a multi-part message in MIME format. ------=_NextPart_000_0006_01C5D3EC.718FA8B0 Content-Type: text/plain; charset="iso-8859-1" Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable I have some code which creates an XML output like this: < Product> <Product ID>1</ProductID <ProductValue>5.00</ProductVaue> </Product> < Product> <Product ID>2</ProductID <ProductValue>10.00</ProductVaue> </Product> Here it is: newElem =3D doc.CreateElement("Product"); childElem =3D...

Countif
I am trying to solve the following problem i) cells A1 to A10 have either M or F (male or female) ii) cells B1 to B10 have either (grades) A B or C iii) I want (eg cell B13) to state the number of female students who scored A... and cell B14; how many female students who gained B etc I have tried various things including countif, sumif etc. It seems like a straight forward problem but the solution evades me! Eddie =SUMPRODUCT((A1:A10="F")*(B1:B10=LEFT(ADDRESS(ROW(B1),ROW(A1),4),1))) in Cell B13 and filled down to Cell B15. Alan Beban Eddie wrote: > I am trying to solve ...

Find next record according to specific criteria
I have a field on a form that has a checkbox. I want to make a button that will go to the next record that doesn't have the checkbox checked (I don't want to filter the records, just to advance to the next unchecked record). What code do I use to accomplish this? You can use the FindNext method to do that: With Me.RecordsetClone .FindNext "[CheckBoxFieldName] = 0" If .NoMatch Then MsgBox "No More UnChecked Records" Else Me.Bookmark = .Bookmark End If End With Note CheckBoxFieldName is the name of the...

IF two different conditions are met #3
The array isn't working eithe -- Anna ----------------------------------------------------------------------- AnnaV's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=961 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=27065 Have you tried Jason's suggestion? -- HTH RP "AnnaV" <AnnaV.1eeaoo@excelforum-nospam.com> wrote in message news:AnnaV.1eeaoo@excelforum-nospam.com... > > The array isn't working either > > > -- > AnnaV > -----------------------------------------------------------------...

two ComboBox questions
hello - I have some code attached to several of my ComboBoxes that works fine, but I'm not if it is 'best practice' coding. I'd really like any suggestions for improvement: a) If I have to walk through the items in a ComboBox, i do this... n = 0 Do While Not IsNull(Me!cboGroup.ItemData(n)) ... code here .... n = n + 1 Loop Is this the best way to walk through these items? Is there a better way involving 'Do While Not rs.EOF'? b) Say I have three ComboBoxes and I only want to proceed if they all show valu...

Excel countif and
is there a "and" condition if you use countif or sumif? example; 1 c 1 1 c 2 2 < countif(b1:b4,"=c")and(a1:a4,"=1") Hi! Try this: =SUMPRODUCT(--(A1:A4=1),--(B1:B4="C")) Biff "KEN" <KEN@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:02a801c54ae1$3371a4f0$a401280a@phx.gbl... > is there a "and" condition if you use countif or sumif? > example; > > > 1 c > 1 > 1 c > 2 > 2 < countif(b1:b4,"=c")and(a1:a4,"=1") > ...

CountIf with And
Novice Excel user on Excel 2003. I have a yearly data input sheet to track codes. I use the date (fomatted as 1/01/2009) and a code. I want to track the codes in a mothly chart for ease in summarization and improvment tracking. The codes are used to define a department and an error in that department (code 1a means - AR department and error a). I need to pull and total the amount for each code for each month. After searching for a while it seems that using CountIf with And does not work. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. -- Mike =SUMPRODUCT(--(MONTH(date_range)=4),...

sumif (with two criterias)
I use following Syntax which works very well: sumif(c4:u620;e777;w4:w621) the cell "e77 " is the criteria how can I summarize when I use two criterias? For example the criterias are on cell E777 and F777 You can concatenate the values of E777 and F777 e.g =(E777&F777) or =concatenate(E777:F777) Result is E777F777 and you will have the result of E777F777... With this result you can use the sunif function >-----Original Message----- >I use following Syntax which works very well: >sumif(c4:u620;e777;w4:w621) >the cell "e77 " is the criteria > >how can...

Two filters in a pivot table
I have a pivot table that I'd like to filter for two criteria like an OR instead of an AND. I have two fields for animal handlers, keeper 1 and keeper 2. They are linked to a table called keeper ID. Sample Records: Animal Keeper1 Keeper2 Scooter Jane Kim Tilli Kim Ellen Cactus Ellen Todd I'd like to filter for which animals have been handled by keeper 1 OR keeper 2. So I'd like to see which animals Kim or Ellen have handled, resulting in Scooter, Tilli, Cactus. Or which animals Kim or Jane have handled resulting in Scooter, Tilli. The Pivot Table filters filter like ...

Two Color Questions
I work with Visio on two computers. When I right click on the page, one of the choices is Color Schemes but only on one computer. The other computer doesn't have that choice. How do I add that to the right click or where else can I find the "color schemes" box? Also how do I change the color of the page? I have done this before and can't do it again? Thanks Rod -- Thanks for your Help In Visio 2007, try: Format \ Theme Tools \ Color Palette Tools \ Options \ Advanced \ Color Settings "jcreek" <jcreek@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message n...

Adding two fields to a table
I current have the following code which works perfectly now: [CODE]CurrentDb.Execute "INSERT INTO [Input] ([Loc_Desc]) VALUES (""" & Me. List12 & """)", dbFailOnError[/CODE] I would however like to add another field's information named (Lnd_Desc) as well in the same row of table (Input). What should my syntax look like for that one. -- Message posted via AccessMonster.com http://www.accessmonster.com/Uwe/Forums.aspx/access-forms/200705/1 INSERT INTO [Input] ([Loc_Desc], [Other Column]) VALUES (""" & Me.List12 & ...

two colum lookup
i have two colums F & G which i am trying without success to marry up t colums A - E (colums C - E in this case have been removed ). what would like to achieve is the rows from colum A -E marrying up with th rows in colums F - G. can any one suggest a method of doing thi +------------------------------------------------------------------- |Filename: ADS2.zip |Download: http://www.excelforum.com/attachment.php?postid=2779 +------------------------------------------------------------------- -- alexander -------------------------------...