Count cells that Contain text

Is there a way in excel to count the number of cells in a colum tha
contain a specific piece of text, e.g. "ACT"

I know that I can use the countif or sumproduct functions to coun
cells which *only* contain "ACT" but I need to count the number o
cells in a column which countain ACT but may also contain other text a
well.

You can manually do it using autofilters but I need to count it using
formula.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Ta

And

excel 39879 articles. 2 followers. Follow

=COUNTIF(Range,"*ACT*")

--

Regards,

Peo Sjoblom

"andibevan >" <<andibevan.1agt8x@excelforum-nospam.com> wrote in message
> Is there a way in excel to count the number of cells in a colum that
> contain a specific piece of text, e.g. "ACT"
>
> I know that I can use the countif or sumproduct functions to count
> cells which *only* contain "ACT" but I need to count the number of
> cells in a column which countain ACT but may also contain other text as
> well.
>
> You can manually do it using autofilters but I need to count it using a
> formula.
>
> Any help would be greatly appreciated.
>
> Ta
>
> Andi
>

> ---

terre08 (1112)

CListCtrl item text string length limitation
Does the CListCtrl item text string have any length limitation? The control just can't display any string longer than 219 characters in my program however I set the column width a big value. Thank for help! I thought the limit was 260 characters. I am not aware of a limitation on the length of the string, only on the length actually displayed. No explanation is given as to why there is such a limitation. However, presumably if you make it owner-draw, you could do anything you want. joe On Tue, 31 May 2005 20:30:00 +0800, "Julian" <zhuxh@30san.com> wrote: >Does ...

Summing 2 columns cells into a 3rd colums cells
In Excel 2007, I need the to add data from column L's cells 2-93 with the data from column M's cells 2-93 and have it total in Column N's cells 2-93. I'm hoping that there is an easier way than auto summing each pair of cells. This example is the smallest range that I have to due this with and auto summing is to time consuming. Please if you have a formula that I can use it would be extremly helpful. Just in case you haven't notice I'm still in the learning stages.................. -- Thank You, Wayne Cadigan Hi Wayne You can still do this ...

Autofit Merged Cells? Can we do this?
I have a row that has merged column cells. Even if I choose autofit, it will not autofit. Is tehre a way to do this? ------------------------------------------------ ~~ Message posted from http://www.ExcelTip.com/ ~~ View and post usenet messages directly from http://www.ExcelForum.com/ If you search the group archives: http://google.com/advanced_group_search?q=group:*excel* using "merge autofit" (without quotes) as search terms, you'll find many posts on this topic, including links to a macro by Jim Rech that may work for you. In article <kenji4861.vwe00@excelf...

Excel-how (find/replace) for multifmat cells w/o changing fmat
For a client, i need to be able to find and replace words in cells with 2 formats. But when you replace them,it changes the format of the whole cell, and not just what you changed. Is there any way to work around this without changing the format after all of the find and replaces? Saved from a previous post, but this one has some wordwrap problems fixed: I think you'd have to keep track of each character's font attributes. This works very slowly, but works: Option Explicit Option Compare Text Type myCharacter myChar As String myLen As Long myName As String myFo...

Pivot table and counting.

Cell formating in Excel?
Is there a way to have a scroll bar in a single cell? No. -- Best Regards, Luke M "pmarina" <pmarina@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:5D25B665-B7B8-477D-AAF8-80A347FFA0DD@microsoft.com... > Is there a way to have a scroll bar in a single cell? ...

Set RN = Range(Cells(2, 1), Cells(r, 1)) error
What wrong with this. It create error. How can I improve to get rid the error? Set RN = Range(Cells(2, 1), Cells(r, 1)) Thanks Daniel Hi Daniel, Too much missing information - has r been declared and what data type is it and what value does it have. What property of the range are you trying to store in the variable RN? What type of variable is RN and has it been declared. -- Thanks, Shane Devenshire "Daniel" wrote: > What wrong with this. It create error. How can I improve to get rid the > error? > > Set RN = Range(Cells(2, 1), Cells(r, 1)) > &...

Import text file from MS Word into MS Publisher.
I have created a text file in Word and a photo file in Publisher and would like to merge the two. When I imported Word, it seemed to be totally separate from the Publisher document - 7 pages of Word and 8 pages of photos. I want the Word pages to precede the Publisher pages. How is this done? >-----Original Message----- >I have created a text file in Word and a photo file in Publisher and would >like to merge the two. When I imported Word, it seemed to be totally >separate from the Publisher document - 7 pages of Word and 8 pages of photos. > >I want the Word pages ...

Cycle Counting

configure text box
I recently upgraded to Publisher 2003. I can't find how to configure text boxes to overlap each other and keep the text in the same position. In my old version, there was a "check" box in the format text box to allow for this. I've tried different wrapping options in 2003, but can't figure it out. You never have been able to do this in any version of Publisher. You are dreaming about a Text Box - never existed. You either have to place one Text Frame on the Background (Ctrl+M) or convert one to a graphic. -- "If you don't know where you are going, any road...

To keep in just one cell all values related to a monthly rate
I have to update in a monthly basis a currency rate. I know that there is a function, formula (or something like that) to link a month descripton to a number. e.g. September09 1,325 October09 2,235 November09 1,258 I would like to select correspondent month and the cell be updated with the value. Data Validation dropdown list for choosing the month combined with a lookup table and VLOOKUP function. For help on creating data validation dropdown lists see Debra Dalgleish's site. http://www.contextures.on.ca/xlDataVal01.html For help on VLOOKUP to populat...

Can I limit a cell to 2 characters?
Is there a way in Excel to limit the number of characters in a cell? Thanks Frank By checking the length of the cell =LEN(A1)=2 in your custom validation. Look for Data Validation on Debra Dalgleish's site. --- HTH, David McRitchie, Microsoft MVP - Excel [site changed Nov. 2001] My Excel Pages: http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/excel/excel.htm Search Page: http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/excel/search.htm "Frankc" <Frankc@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:842747F1-1792-4BB5-B3CE-707C7CC5F88F@microsoft.com... > Is there a way in Excel to lim...

format cells #4
hi. how can i set by default the cell formatting to 'general' or 'number' or even 'text'? i mean i dont want excel to correct let's say: 1.5 to 01.may or 9/12 to 09.dec. is this possible? thanks. (i have some programs which export data to excel and instead of numbers in excel appear dates and i can't set the cell format before the data is exported) -- notrace2004 ------------------------------------------------------------------------ notrace2004's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=34817 View this thread: http://www....

Adding Text to Charts
I have created a chart in Excel that tracks one of the stock indexes. I have been able to point arrows to specific days and add text so I know what was the reason the stock index was up or down on that day. However, as my chart expands the arrows and text are no longer associated with those day I initially intended it for. Is there any way in Excel to associate text with specific day and have it attached so that if the chart grows or shrinks it will always be associated with that particular day. Thanks Hi Roy, The trick is to group the graphic element and the chart. When adding a graph...

Count

change highlight color on active cells
How do I change the active highlight color of an active cell. Louis Only though VBA. Private Sub Worksheet_SelectionChange(ByVal Target As Excel.Range) Static OldCell As Range If Not OldCell Is Nothing Then OldCell.Interior.ColorIndex = xlColorIndexNone End If Target.Interior.ColorIndex = 6 'yellow Set OldCell = Target End Sub This is sheet event code. Right-click on the sheet tab and "View Code". Copy and paste into that module. Chip Pearson has a great add-in named Rowliner.xla that will make the highlighting available for all sheets and workbooks. The code above w...

Simple...Update Text Box in Chart
Hello, I have a chart in an MS Excel worksheet and I would like to change the value/caption of a textbox( Text Box 20). I have only been able to change the title of the chart with the following: With MyChart.Workbooks(1).Worksheets("Chart").ChartObjects(1).Chart .HasTitle = True .ChartTitle.Text = "Summary of Report" & date() 'Add Today's Date End With Do I have to reference the chart or do I have to reference the textbox itself? Hi, If the shape is actual embedded in the chart object then something like, ActiveChart.Shapes(&quo...

Line count

Formatting cells in Excel with Ascending/Descending order
I am trying to insert a drop down asceding/descending arrow in the cell of the excel document. When you click on the arrow which is a small box on the right side of the cell, it will organize all figures/data in that column and you can choose between ascending/descending, or how you want to organize it. Thank you -- Andrew ...

Text to Columns 06-01-10
Hi. I have a column where I have names and surnames. I want to put name in one column and surname in anoter column. In order to do this, I use Text to Columns, but I have the following issue: if the cell contains for example Juan Pérez, it works ok, but when the cell contains Juan De los Santos, it assumes there are three surnames, and then put me one word in each column. This is the result, with the example mentioned: A B C D Juan Pérez Juan De los Santos How can I indicate that...

Disappearing text
When I paste some text from a web page into Word 2007, I can edit the text but it does not print. It does not appear in print preview either. However I can read it in Word. I notice the text has underlining. What gives? Sounds as if the text is formatted as hidden. Select it and clear the "Hidden" option in the Font dialog box (Ctrl+D). If you see a filled box (instead of a check mark), just click the option twice to turn it off. (The filled box indicates different settings in the selection; for example, some text may be hidden while other text is not.) -- Stefan B...

what does a mini toolbar contain
Questions on excel. microsoft office excel 2007. Have a look Click the Microsoft Office Button , and then click Excel Options. Click Popular, and then under Top options for working with Excel, clear the Show Mini Toolbar on selection check box. -- Russell Dawson Excel Student "Nelly Zayas" wrote: > Questions on excel. microsoft office excel 2007. Correction To enable Click the Microsoft Office Button , and then click Excel Options. Click Popular, and then under Top options for working with Excel - check box Previous post was to disable -- Russell ...

Filename in Excel Cell Address
Is there a way to insert an excel spreadsheet filename into a cell within the same spreadsheet, like the &[File] command in the Header/Footer screen? -- Thanks, RickS yes =CELL("filename") -- Gary Keramidas Excel 2003 "RickS" <RickS@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:A801EEC7-608B-4394-B991-BBBC889D451A@microsoft.com... > Is there a way to insert an excel spreadsheet filename into a cell within > the > same spreadsheet, like the &[File] command in the Header/Footer screen? > -- > Thanks, > Ric...