Copying Cells on a diagonal?

I need to copy cells on the diagonal for a large data set as follows

		P1	P2	P3	P4	P5
Group 1	P1	5	4	5	4	3
Group 1	P2	5	4	5	4	3
Group 1	P3	5	4	5	4	3
Group1	P4	5	4	5	4	3
Group1	P5	5	4	5	4	3
Group 2	P1	5	4	5	4	3
Group 2	P2	5	4	5	4	3
Group 2	P3	5	4	5	4	3
Group 2	P4	5	4	5	4	3
Group 2	P5	5	4	5	4	3

I need P1's Self score, P2's Self Score, P3's self core etc for each
team lined up in a single column.

which for the above data would be

Self Rating

Is a formula like
=A2
=B3
=C4
=D5
=E6

the best way to do this and then cut and paste the formula for each
group?

Thanks,

Rufus

0
RufusC (3)
8/1/2005 1:57:14 PM
excel 39879 articles. 2 followers. Follow

Fufus,

Certainly, making your group of five formulas and copying and pasting down to match your data set is
one way.  That may become a problem when you change your data, so a flexible formula might be better
in the long run.

One way would be to use SUMIF, like so:

=SUMIF($B$1:$F$1,A2,B2:F2)

Where your identifiers are in column A and in row 1, and your scores are in columns B to F starting
in row 2. Enter that formula in G2, and copy down to match your data set.

HTH,
Bernie
MS Excel MVP

"Rufus" <RufusC@gmail.com> wrote in message
>I need to copy cells on the diagonal for a large data set as follows
>
> P1 P2 P3 P4 P5
> Group 1 P1 5 4 5 4 3
> Group 1 P2 5 4 5 4 3
> Group 1 P3 5 4 5 4 3
> Group1 P4 5 4 5 4 3
> Group1 P5 5 4 5 4 3
> Group 2 P1 5 4 5 4 3
> Group 2 P2 5 4 5 4 3
> Group 2 P3 5 4 5 4 3
> Group 2 P4 5 4 5 4 3
> Group 2 P5 5 4 5 4 3
>

> I need P1's Self score, P2's Self Score, P3's self core etc for each
> team lined up in a single column.
>
> which for the above data would be
>
> Self Rating
> 5
> 4
> 5
> 4
> 3
> 5
> 4
> 5
> 4
> 3
>
> Is a formula like
> =A2
> =B3
> =C4
> =D5
> =E6
>
> the best way to do this and then cut and paste the formula for each
> group?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Rufus

0
Bernie
8/1/2005 4:00:43 PM
Thanks for your reply Bernie.

I'm hoping to avoid the cut and paste option as I have large data sets
roughly 1000 people.

I don't need to sum anything but perhaps your formula doesn't add
anything up i will try it out.

I really just need the cells on the diagonal (self ratings)  all merged
into one column.

Rufus

0
RufusC (3)
8/1/2005 5:49:51 PM
Rufus,

My formula only 'sums' one number, the number for which the header matches the row label.

If you don't want to be misled by the SUMIF, you could use either of these as well

=INDEX(B2:F2,1,MATCH(A2,$B$1:$F$1,FALSE))

=HLOOKUP(A2,$B$1:F2,ROW(A2),FALSE)

Just proving that Excel usually offers a number of ways to do the same thing....

> Thanks for your reply Bernie.
>
> I'm hoping to avoid the cut and paste option as I have large data sets
> roughly 1000 people.
>
> I don't need to sum anything but perhaps your formula doesn't add
> anything up i will try it out.
>
> I really just need the cells on the diagonal (self ratings)  all merged
> into one column.
>
> Rufus

0
Bernie

Extract numeric value from single cell
Hello, I have numeric values within a text string in a single cell. There i no conformity to the length, or the make-up of the text. There is only ever 1 numeric value (that may vary in length from 1- digits long) within the text string. I have used the find function, but is getting vary messy. Is there numeric wildcard character I can use. Im using Excel 2000 Any help would be much appreciate -- Landyma ----------------------------------------------------------------------- Landyman's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=807 View this thread: htt...

Import/copy calendar in Outlook 2003

Can I "unlock" just one cell in a protected worksheet?
Is there any way I can unlock just one cell in a protected worksheet without removing the protection from the entire worksheet? I am working on a fairly complex worksheet that has 10-15 data entry cells. The rest of the worksheet contains formulas and informational text. I have the formulas pretty much debugged and working. I am now down to making mostly cosmetic changes to the text and formatting. I have marked all of the data entry cells in a different color to help me keep from overwriting a formula, but it still happens occasionally. I usually catch it right away and can recover with ...

Truncating cells
Hello, I have a spreadsheet full of student names (Last, First, Middle) each in a separate column. I need to shorten the Middle Name column down to just the Middle Initial (1 character). It would be nice to do these using a function rather that edit them individually. I've tried the truncate function but could not get that to work. Any suggestions? Thanks, Matt Verdill Greetings, You need to use the LEFT function. In a new cell, type this formula: =LEFT(A1,1) Where A1 is the cell with the Middle Name and 1 is the number of characters. James Walker, Jr. "Matt Verdill...

DVD Copy Pro for Mac

Picture behind text in Cells
Is there any way in which a picture can be sent behind the text in the worksheet cells? Or round the other way, is there any way to show the cells contents in front of a picture? Many thanks Bezza Format\sheet\background should do the trick RES That is a valid command. Unfortunately I've got numerous different images that need to be displayed behind cells. I need to use the cells so that the values displayed infront of the different pictures can be used in forumula's. Bezza That is a valid command. Unfortunately I've got numerous different images that need to be displaye...

Display Cell
How can I display text, for example 1.98 x 106 x T-0.63 (1.98 x 10 to the power 6 x T to the power -0.63)? Hi select these characters in the formular bar and goto 'Format - Cells - Font' -- Regards Frank Kabel Frankfurt, Germany "Excelhelp" <Excelhelp@discussions.microsoft.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag news:3B96F0D2-F8DA-4901-873F-3391273E3FE1@microsoft.com... > How can I display text, for example 1.98 x 106 x T-0.63 (1.98 x 10 to the > power 6 x T to the power -0.63)? ...

Copy info from one workbook to another?

Secondary Copy

local copy of mail

Outlook 2000 SP3

Copy picture ossice wizard

Blank cells in graph
I have a a line graph that displays customer behaviour in a number of categories. The data source for the graph is a table that refreshes every time a different 'customer' is selected from a macro drop-down list above the table, drawing data from another table. All the blank cells from the table are plotted as zero on the line graph, and I can't seem to change it so that the blank cells are not plotted on the line graph at all. I've tried going to Tools>Options>Chart, but the 'Plot empty cells as' options are all greyed out except for the 'Zero' opt...

subtotal copy and paste

formula for cell
I have many cells with descriptive text, does anyone know of a formula where I can take for instance a cell with 500 characters and take only the first 30 and paste it in to a new cell. I have used a formula thanks to Gary =left(a1,len(a1)/2 which has worked for other uses I have--now I need to extract only the first 30 characters of a description and I have thousands of cells in my description column..Please Help =left(a1,30) Pete.Cornejo@gmail.com wrote: > > I have many cells with descriptive text, does anyone know of a formula > where I can take for instance a cell with 500...

Copying graphs

How do I change cell that contains a formula to an actual number
I would like to use the results of a formula in a cell as an actual number. Any help would be appreciated? Hi copy the cell and use 'Edit - Paste Special - Values' -- Regards Frank Kabel Frankfurt, Germany "Carlton A. Barlow" <CarltonABarlow@discussions.microsoft.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag news:D8B1F514-E50A-4CB8-98B5-50D6FAA4B739@microsoft.com... > I would like to use the results of a formula in a cell as an actual number. > Any help would be appreciated? An easy way to do this is when editing the formula just type cntl+"=". It immediately chan...

Copying Views

How can I assign a data for one cell from another fixed cell?
I can assign data to one cell by put formular, for example: =H5. But if I add a row, my cell will get data from H6, Excel automatically modified my formular to: =H6 And now I want the data always come from =H5, no matter how many rows I add on top of it. PLease help me. I remember somebody did it, but I forget it. Thank you very much! If I understand your question correctly, you would use absolute references ($ signs to fix the row, column or both)... =$H$5 Rick "new Excel user" <new Excel user@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:BCAE5E50-1EAF-4ADA-9F24...

Having a go with assembly... how do I copy a double into a register??
I'm trying to speed up a maths routine which consists of much iterative multiplication (and adding and subtraction of ) doubles. Now if I declare my doubles as floats float f double d _asm { mov edx, f //ok mov edx, d //error operand size conflict Can someone show me the error of my ways??? Thanks "Si" <me@you.twang> wrote in message news:sm1gk0l60ng23gilu9b68hkcqi3ub9horn@4ax.com... > > > I'm trying to speed up a maths routine which consists of much > iterative multiplication (and adding and subtraction of ) doubles. > > Now if I de...

EXCEL FILE a copy/a copy/a copy ....filename
when i save my excel file i get a saved copy of the file, not the file itself so my file name of a file i save 7 times can have 7 'a copy' in it eg c./my doc/a copy/a copy/ a copy..............a copy/xx.xls Is the file saved as Read Only? Do you get a message on opening asking you if it's read only? Regards, Alan. "ve" <ve@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:88C3DEBA-2C2E-4DF0-978B-F823E120458A@microsoft.com... > when i save my excel file i get a saved copy of the file, not the file > itself so my file name of a file i save ...

How do I move the data in one cell on a page to another page/cell
What command do I use to move the containts of one cell on a page to a different page and cell??? On the receiving page and cell, type = then navigate to the sheet and cell where you wish to extract the data and press Enter. Assuming you were in cell B1 of Sheet2,and you wanted it to copy the value from Sheet1 cell A10, then Excel would insert the formula =Sheet1!A10 You can just type the formula yourself, but it is probably easier to let Excel do it for you first time. Note, if your sheet name contains spaces, then the formula need single quotes around the sheet name. ='My new s...