copy range of unique value

Hi,

i use Excel 2007 and i have a strange behavior with a particular thing
that i do.

quite often i have list of values with several times the same values.
e.g.: 2,3,8,5,4,3,9 from cell A1 to A7

when i use the function:
Data => Sort & Filter => Advanced => Copy to another location, list
range $A$1:$A$7, copy to $D$1 and checked Unique records only.

i correctly get 2,3,8,5,4,9
it means second times that 3 is found, it is removed from the new list.

i have also a good result with only alpha value and only numerical values.

my main problem is when cells have alphanumerical values like
$A$1 = note0450
$A$2 = note0521
$A$3 = note0450
$A$4 = note8427
$A$5 = note0017

i get as result:

$D$1 = note0450
$D$2 = note0521
$D$3 = note0450
$D$4 = note8427
$D$5 = note0017

in this case nothing was removed. it's like i've never checked the
Unique records only check box :-(

or if u try somewhere else on the sheet.
$A$1 = pc05
$A$2 = pc54
$A$3 = pc923
$A$4 = pc43
$A$5 = pc05
$A$6 = pc43
$A$7 = pc98
$A$8 = pc43

i get:
$D$1 = pc05
$D$2 = pc54
$D$3 = pc923
$D$4 = pc43
$D$5 = pc05
$D$6 = pc98

in this case something was removed but not all. for example, pc05 is
another time.

what is the problem ?
if someone wants the file as example i can send him :-)

thanks a for help.

Al.
0
Alain
1/26/2010 12:43:05 PM
excel 39879 articles. 2 followers. Follow

It's because the first item is treated as a title. The REST is treated as
data with unique values. So if your title matches your data, you'll see it
twice. Give it a real title, like "The List" and you'll always see "The
List" as the first item, but the rest will be unique. It has nothing to do
with values being numeric or not.
HTH
Bob Umlas
Excel MVP

"Alain R." <nospam@noemail.com> wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> i use Excel 2007 and i have a strange behavior with a particular thing
> that i do.
>
> quite often i have list of values with several times the same values.
> e.g.: 2,3,8,5,4,3,9 from cell A1 to A7
>
> when i use the function:
> Data => Sort & Filter => Advanced => Copy to another location, list range
> $A$1:$A$7, copy to $D$1 and checked Unique records only.
>
> i correctly get 2,3,8,5,4,9
> it means second times that 3 is found, it is removed from the new list.
>
> i have also a good result with only alpha value and only numerical values.
>
> my main problem is when cells have alphanumerical values like
> $A$1 = note0450
> $A$2 = note0521
> $A$3 = note0450
> $A$4 = note8427
> $A$5 = note0017
>
> i get as result:
>
> $D$1 = note0450
> $D$2 = note0521
> $D$3 = note0450
> $D$4 = note8427
> $D$5 = note0017
>
> in this case nothing was removed. it's like i've never checked the Unique
> records only check box :-(
>
> or if u try somewhere else on the sheet.
> $A$1 = pc05
> $A$2 = pc54
> $A$3 = pc923
> $A$4 = pc43
> $A$5 = pc05
> $A$6 = pc43
> $A$7 = pc98
> $A$8 = pc43
>
> i get:
> $D$1 = pc05
> $D$2 = pc54
> $D$3 = pc923
> $D$4 = pc43
> $D$5 = pc05
> $D$6 = pc98
>
> in this case something was removed but not all. for example, pc05 is
> another time.
>
> what is the problem ?
> if someone wants the file as example i can send him :-)
>
> thanks a for help.
>
> Al.

0
Bob

DVD Copy Pro for Mac

Import/copy calendar in Outlook 2003

order by case value
If I have the following: SELECT UserID as RID ,EnvironmentID as EnvID ,@authorType as RType ,'A' as Type ,'Author' as FullType ,Case When (isnull(FirstName, '') <> '' AND isnull(LastName, '') <> '') then LastName + ', ' + FirstName When (isnull(FirstName, '') <> '' AND isnull(LastName, '') = '') then FirstName When isnull(FirstName, '') = '' then LastName End as RName ,Email as EmailAddress FROM User WHERE EnvironmentID = @Environment...

Extract numeric value from single cell
Hello, I have numeric values within a text string in a single cell. There i no conformity to the length, or the make-up of the text. There is only ever 1 numeric value (that may vary in length from 1- digits long) within the text string. I have used the find function, but is getting vary messy. Is there numeric wildcard character I can use. Im using Excel 2000 Any help would be much appreciate -- Landyma ----------------------------------------------------------------------- Landyman's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=807 View this thread: htt...

print a date range from parameter query on a report header?
I am printing a report based on a date range. The user inputs the start and End date for the report (parameter query). How do I print the Start and End dates on a report header. IMO, parameter prompts are never good user interface. There is no functionality or error checking. I much prefer using controls on forms for ALL user interaction. You can use the parameters in control sources as if they were fields. For instance: Control Source: ="From " & [Enter Start Date] & " To " & [Enter End Date] or Control Source: ="From " & Forms...

Copy info from one workbook to another?

Secondary Copy

local copy of mail

Outlook 2000 SP3

Calculate max value in specific range
Hi all, I've got a table with specific date values (start & end dates) like this: 3/23/00 Start 3/26/00 End etc. note: the length of days will vary from time tot time. -- I also have a table with all date values and corresponding numbers, like this: Column: A B Row: 1 3/23/00 1101.16 2 3/24/00 1106.16 3 3/25/00 1143.07 (=MAX) 4 3/26/00 1137.54 -- How can I calculate the max value from all those corresponding numbers between a Start- & End date? (1143.07 in this case) I've already tried the Vlookup and Max function but that only refers to 1 value (as...

Creating a chart from a table of values
I would like to create a chart from a table of values using indexing so i can vary the range of the table. Can anyone help? Take a look at the dynamic charts here http://www.peltiertech.com/Excel/Charts/Dynamics.html#DynoCht "hydro1guy" wrote: > I would like to create a chart from a table of values using indexing so i can > vary the range of the table. Can anyone help? ...

Copy picture ossice wizard

Any idea why this is giving me a #Value! Error?
Function FrstLtrs(MyStr As String) As String Dim temp Dim i As Long TmpStr = Split(Trim(MyStr)) 'MsgBox "String" + TmpStr For i = 0 To UBound(TmpStr) If Not (UCase(TmpStr) = "OF") And Not (UCase(TmpStr) = "FOR") And Not (UCase(TmpStr) = "THE") And _ Not (UCase(TmpStr) = "AND") And Not (UCase(TmpStr) = "A") Then If Asc(Left(TmpStr(i), 1)) >= 65 And _ Asc(Left(TmpStr(i), 1)) <= 90 Then FrstLtrs = FrstLtrs & Left(TmpStr(i), 1) End If End If Next End Function Find the mo...

subtotal copy and paste

Deleting Range name's listed in the range address box.
In Excel, in the top corner of the application there is a box which list the name of a select range (e.g F19 etc..). when I use the querytables method to import a CSV onto a worksheet. This range address box, has the name of the data I have imported. when I use clear, or qyertytables delete to remove the imported data - I am unable to remove the name of the data appearing in the drop-down list for the range box. Is there anyway to delete this ? or is it not a problem ? I am concerned because I this rangelist seems to fill up pretty quickly with imported data ranges.. Choose Insert&...

Copying graphs

Copying Views

Assign Numeric Value to Text
Hi Everyone, I am looking for a way to assign numberical values to 2 different letters (i.e. A equal to 1, B equal to 2). Then what I am looking to do with this is add up, all the letters in numerical value, in a column and get a total on 1 row and then the average on a 2nd row. Any and all help is greatly appreciated. Happy New Years! :D --- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com/ For a range A1:A100 with just one letter in each cell:- =SUMPRODUCT(CODE(UPPER($A$1:$A$100))-64) -- Regards Ken....................... Microsoft MVP - Excel Sys Spe...

Having a go with assembly... how do I copy a double into a register??
I'm trying to speed up a maths routine which consists of much iterative multiplication (and adding and subtraction of ) doubles. Now if I declare my doubles as floats float f double d _asm { mov edx, f //ok mov edx, d //error operand size conflict Can someone show me the error of my ways??? Thanks "Si" <me@you.twang> wrote in message news:sm1gk0l60ng23gilu9b68hkcqi3ub9horn@4ax.com... > > > I'm trying to speed up a maths routine which consists of much > iterative multiplication (and adding and subtraction of ) doubles. > > Now if I de...

hidden value in each cell or in each row in Excel
hi, I need to store a two information in one cell with one value as hidden ,kindly reply if any one know the way without creating hidden rows or columns or worksheet The need is to store two information in one cell,with one value in display ------------------------------------------------ ~~ Message posted from http://www.ExcelTip.com/ ~~ View and post usenet messages directly from http://www.ExcelForum.com/ Using comments is one option. >-----Original Message----- >hi, > >I need to store a two information in one cell with one value as hidden >,kindly reply if any one kn...

EXCEL FILE a copy/a copy/a copy ....filename
when i save my excel file i get a saved copy of the file, not the file itself so my file name of a file i save 7 times can have 7 'a copy' in it eg c./my doc/a copy/a copy/ a copy..............a copy/xx.xls Is the file saved as Read Only? Do you get a message on opening asking you if it's read only? Regards, Alan. "ve" <ve@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:88C3DEBA-2C2E-4DF0-978B-F823E120458A@microsoft.com... > when i save my excel file i get a saved copy of the file, not the file > itself so my file name of a file i save ...

copy of treeview
Hello, I have to copy information from a treeview to another treeview... The first TreeCtrl is in a dialog and the second it's in another dialog. The application is Dialog Based and I use my oen solution of property sheet. So if I want to call something from another dialog i make i this way: CResultsPageDlg resDlg((CMyAppDlg*)theApp.GetMainWnd()); resDlg.CopyTreeview(m_TreeView.GetRootItem(), m_TreeView.GetRootItem()); useing the solution from http://www.codeguru.com/Cpp/controls/treeview/dragdrop/article.php/c657/ Somebody knows how to do that? Alex What is CopyTreeview method...