Copy formulas without data.

I have a complex spreadsheet that has many formulas and much data. It was
not well designed, but I inherited it. Now I have to start the new fiscal
year and I want to delete all the data, but leave the formulas, headers and
such intact. Is there a way to do this? Deleting cell by cell is going to be
a big project.

---Mike

0
1611kjb (4)
7/8/2005 8:19:20 PM
excel 39879 articles. 2 followers. Follow

You should be able to hit Edit-->Go to-->Special-->Constants. Then hit your
delete key.
*******************
~Anne Troy

www.OfficeArticles.com
www.MyExpertsOnline.com

"Praising Jesus" <1611kjb@earthlink.net> wrote in message
> I have a complex spreadsheet that has many formulas and much data. It was
> not well designed, but I inherited it. Now I have to start the new fiscal
> year and I want to delete all the data, but leave the formulas, headers
and
> such intact. Is there a way to do this? Deleting cell by cell is going to
be
> a big project.
>
> ---Mike

0
ng1 (1444)
7/8/2005 8:28:42 PM
You are too brilliant!

Thanks,

---Mike

"Anne Troy" <ng@officearticles.com> wrote in message
> You should be able to hit Edit-->Go to-->Special-->Constants. Then hit
> your
> delete key.
> *******************
> ~Anne Troy
>
> www.OfficeArticles.com
> www.MyExpertsOnline.com
>

> "Praising Jesus" <1611kjb@earthlink.net> wrote in message
>> I have a complex spreadsheet that has many formulas and much data. It was
>> not well designed, but I inherited it. Now I have to start the new fiscal
>> year and I want to delete all the data, but leave the formulas, headers
> and
>> such intact. Is there a way to do this? Deleting cell by cell is going to
> be
>> a big project.
>>
>> ---Mike

0
1611kjb (4)
7/8/2005 9:38:02 PM
Perhaps to drastic for things with existing descriptions,  you might
want to first make a selection of the columns to be affected and then
use the   Edit --> Goto --> Special --> Constants,   Del key
I would think you have descriptions in at least column A.
In any case you do have to make a selection first even if it is Ctrl+A,
anything is preferable to letting Excel make a choice for you.

If you need to insert or delete rows when you are updating you might take a look at
 http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/excel/insrtrow.htm
---
HTH,

"Anne Troy" <ng@officearticles.com> wrote in message ...
> You should be able to hit Edit-->Go to-->Special-->Constants. Then hit your
> delete key.
>
> "Praising Jesus" <1611kjb@earthlink.net> wrote bl...
> > I have a complex spreadsheet that has many formulas and much data. It was
> > not well designed, but I inherited it. Now I have to start the new fiscal
> > year and I want to delete all the data, but leave the formulas, headers
> and
> > such intact. Is there a way to do this? Deleting cell by cell is going to
> be
> > a big project.
> >
> > ---Mike

0
dmcritchie (2586)
7/8/2005 9:38:23 PM
I've been using Excel since 1.0 and I've been using PC's since 1983 - and
it's amazing what I don't know. Thanks!

---Mike

"David McRitchie" <dmcritchie@msn.com> wrote in message
> Perhaps to drastic for things with existing descriptions,  you might
> want to first make a selection of the columns to be affected and then
> use the   Edit --> Goto --> Special --> Constants,   Del key
> I would think you have descriptions in at least column A.
> In any case you do have to make a selection first even if it is Ctrl+A,
> anything is preferable to letting Excel make a choice for you.
>
> If you need to insert or delete rows when you are updating you might take
> a look at
> http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/excel/insrtrow.htm
> ---
> HTH,
> David McRitchie, Microsoft MVP - Excel    [site changed  Nov. 2001]
>

> "Anne Troy" <ng@officearticles.com> wrote in message ...
>> You should be able to hit Edit-->Go to-->Special-->Constants. Then hit
>> your
>> delete key.
>>
>> "Praising Jesus" <1611kjb@earthlink.net> wrote bl...
>> > I have a complex spreadsheet that has many formulas and much data. It
>> > was
>> > not well designed, but I inherited it. Now I have to start the new
>> > fiscal
>> > year and I want to delete all the data, but leave the formulas, headers
>> and
>> > such intact. Is there a way to do this? Deleting cell by cell is going
>> be
>> > a big project.
>> >
>> > ---Mike

0
1611kjb (4)

collect data from mail merge
If I create a mail merge in Word with some blank space for data entry, can I collect the feedbacks from returned word file, and consolidate them in excel ? Can you give a little more information about what you are trying to do. Excel is a pretty powerful tool; almost certainly you can do what you want. Ryan--- -- Ryan--- If this information was helpful, please indicate this by clicking ''Yes''. "data collection" wrote: > If I create a mail merge in Word with some blank space for data entry, can I > collect the feedbacks from returned wo...

DVD Copy Pro for Mac

What's wrong with this COUNTIF formula?
=COUNTIF(weekly355comp2000,">A105") A105=20000 There are a number of cells in the range greater than 20000 but the formula returns 0. thanks Try the following: =COUNTIF(weekly355comp2000,">"&A105) -- HTH, Laura Cook Appleton, WI "Dave Potter" <dpotter41 at chartertn NOSPAM dot net> wrote in message news:6ie9ov48p7tqv85ohpsbnuq7rgi1smtr21@4ax.com... > =COUNTIF(weekly355comp2000,">A105") > > A105=20000 > There are a number of cells in the range greater than 20000 but the > formula returns 0. > > thanks As ...

Import/copy calendar in Outlook 2003

Formula to reach goal percentage of migrating customers
I am working on a formula and am stuck. I have a goal date that I want to have a certain percentage of customers migrated (90%). There are many weeks leading up to the goal date. I have the following criteria setup: Prior to Week-4 2% of base migrate Week-4 20% migrate Week-3 20% migrate Week-2 20% migrate Week-1 20% migrate Week-0 balance migrate How can I set up a formula on a declining base to reach my goal of 90%? ...

Secondary Copy

Row hieght formula
I was wondering if there is a formula for row height. I have a lon list, and I want each row that returns a 0 to collapse automatically. Anyone know how to do that -- funktasti ----------------------------------------------------------------------- funktastic's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=1600 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=27473 You should hide them. I'm not too keen on Visual Basic, but that's where you'd need to go to automate it. If you'd like to do it manually you can filter the cel...

local copy of mail

Copy info from one workbook to another?

Count Formula #4
I have a spreadsheet with three tabs. They all have people requesting time off...first sheet is for people requesting more than a week off - 2nd for 1 week at a time - 3rd for people just wanting 1 day off. The sheets have their name then 2 columns one for days off starting and the other for days off finishing (With the exception of people just wanting one day off) I would like to have another sheet counting the number of people off on a daily basis. It is easy enough using "counif" for the people asking for 1 day off...but I can't seem to easily break out the weekly...

Outlook 2000 SP3

formula to get true average
Hi, I need a formula to achieve a average for some mutual funds I have purchased over a period of years. Column A contains the number of shares I have purchased and Column C contain the price per share and Column D contains the cost for these shares. For example column A2 contains 130.29 and Column C2 contains $18.30 and Column D2 contains $2,484.25. Each cell in Column A contains a different number of shares and likewise so does column C and D. I have 40 cells in Column A each with a different number of shares and Column C has 50 cells each with a different amount per share and Colum...

Copy picture ossice wizard

sorting without affecting links
Sheet 1 complete list of names all pupils and fees per month Sheet 2/sheet per instructor - list of pupils per instructor with names and fees linked from sheet 1 Problem. If we add new names to sheet 1 then sort it alphabetically the rows change so sheets 2s values get messed up. One way is to use VLOOKUP in Sheet2 for the Fees Assume in Sheet1, names are in col A, Fees in col B data from row2 down In Sheet2, names are listed in A2 down, Fees to be extracted in B2 down Put in B2: =IF(A2="","",VLOOKUP(A2,Sheet1!A:B,2,0)) Copy B2 down as far as required -- Rgds Max xl ...

Need Formula
Hey guys, I am a professional driver and my workbook is setup to keep track of my hours on the road on a day-to-day basis. With the new change in the DOT law I need a solution that complies with those variations but works with this setup: The days of the month run down column A contiguously and each days hours are tracked across rows. For example; Cell E6 is the Drive Time. Cell F6 is the On Duty hours. Cell G6 contains the formula; =SUM(E6:F6). Now, cell I6 adds that total to include the previous 5 cells in column G to come up with a total (the last six days) on duty. Okay, cell K6 is the ...

formulae
Sorry if this is a simple question (I used to know excel alot better ... I think!) I have a column with about various text strings in each cell. In a single cell to the right of this column I want to get the sum of a particular word from that column. can anyone help ? thanking you gerryR Sorry, say my column contains NT 2000 2000 NT XP XP then in my cell to the right I want to be able to display NT= 2 so it counts the amount of times NT appears in the column. thanks gerryR "Mangesh Yadav" <mangesh.NOSPAMyadav@gmail.com> wrote in message news:%23tF1WWObFHA.796@TK...

Log data in a shared workbook
Hi all Is it possible to have a spreadsheet which logs data from anothe without over writing each other's data, even though several colleague are inputting and saving in this shared sheet at different times. Eg. Sheet 1 has various data Sheet 2 - A1,2,3, etc = first save Sheet 3 - B1,2,3, etc = second save Etc. ...for the day Cheers Joe -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com Joey Would you consider writing to a CSV file? You could use VBA's text file functions to write directly to the file, but the file would still open in Excel. One advantage would be that...

Show Date without time
I've a grid view with a column that shows a DateTime value <asp:TemplateField HeaderText="Data"> <ItemTemplate> <asp:Label ID="lblData" runat="server" Text='<%# Eval("Data") %>'></asp:Label> </ItemTemplate> <ItemStyle Width="70px"></ItemStyle> </asp:TemplateField> I would like to show only date (not time) but using templatefield and not BoundField solution Thanks &quo...

subtotal copy and paste

formula result not able to be summed
i have multiple formulas, i want to sum the results of formulas in columns l to q, then divide them by the total, i.e. L4:L10 divided by L4:Q10. but the results in those columns are from another column if the result of that other column falls within a certain category. so if D4 is either a, b, or c then L4 = F which is a number, but the value in L4 isnt formatted as a number therefore i cannot sum the values in column L. is there a way around this? Hi If there is a formula in L4, you'll need to turn the result into a number. Try something like: =VALUE(yourformula) in there. Hope th...

Formula appearing instead of result
I have the following code in a macro If Range("g" & x - 1) > 2 Then 'charlie if ActiveCell.FormulaR1C1 = "=R[-1]C[-3]-RC[-3]" ElseIf Range("g" & x - 1) < 2 Then ActiveCell.FormulaR1C1 = "=R[-1]C[-3]-RC[-3]" Else: ActiveCell.Value = "2 yellow" End If In the active cell, I am getting "=R[-1]C[-3]-RC[-3]" showing up instead of the result. I've tried chaning formatting to general, text, number, etc. Sometimes it works sometimes it doe...

formula for cell
I have many cells with descriptive text, does anyone know of a formula where I can take for instance a cell with 500 characters and take only the first 30 and paste it in to a new cell. I have used a formula thanks to Gary =left(a1,len(a1)/2 which has worked for other uses I have--now I need to extract only the first 30 characters of a description and I have thousands of cells in my description column..Please Help =left(a1,30) Pete.Cornejo@gmail.com wrote: > > I have many cells with descriptive text, does anyone know of a formula > where I can take for instance a cell with 500...

Entering a formula into a screentip
I have a "quiz-style" spreadsheet. In it, I have included several CONCATENATE functions that takes their name which they entered at the beginging and a message and their score and puts it into a sentance. I have also used hyperlinks within my spreadsheet, I have been able to include the concatenate feature in these. It is possible to include any excel functions within this screentip? Thank's for your time Dan -- iPod's ROCK! By 'screentip' I assume you're talking about comments. There is no way to use Excel functions within a comment. -- Cordially, C...