I have a table of blood pressure readings that looks something like
this:

     A     B        C    D    E
11
12     Averages:   134   83   74
13  R#    Date     Sys  Dia  Pul
14   4   8/17/08   138   87   72
15   3   8/15/08   130   84   76
16   2   8/12/08   137   83   70
17   1   8/11/08   129   79   76

Cell A14 contains =A15+1
Cell C12 contains =AVERAGE(C14:C17)
Cell D12 contains =AVERAGE(D14:D17)
Cell E12 contains =AVERAGE(E14:E17)

Every time I take a new reading, I want to add a row to the top of the
table, between row 13 (the header) and row 14 (the previous top row).
I want to push all of the old rows down one row and I want all of the
formulas to adjust correctly.

When I first created this table, I didn't have the R# (Reading #)
column. To add a row, I would copy Row 14 just below itself with
insertion. I would select the entire row, then Ctrl-Shift-Drag the top
border to the bottom border. This would replicate Row 14 exactly.
Since the new row was within the range of the AVERAGE formulas in Row
12, all of those ranges would get updated. I could then just enter the
new readings and get the new averages.

Call this method the Copy-Insert-Down method.

When I added Column A, I ran into a problem. The Copy-Insert-Down
method causes the formulas in Column A to get messed up. The formula
in A14, =A15+1, changes to =A16+1 because A15 became A16. This gives
the wrong result. It needs to remain =A15+1. And, for reasons that I
don't understand, the formula in the new A15 becomes =A17+1, which is
also not what I want.

I can solve the Column A problem by using the Copy-Insert-Up method.
After selecting Row 14 as above, I Ctrl-Shift-Drag the bottom border
to the top border. This gets the right formula in all of the cells in
Column A, but all of the formulas in Row 12 are wrong. They do not
include the new row.

I do get a little black triangle in the upper left corner of each cell
in Row 14. If I click on it, I get an exclamation point in a little
box. If I click on that, I am given several options. One of them is
"Update formula to include cells". If I click on that, the formula is
fixed.

Is there a way to set this as the default?

I also tried the Copy-Insert-Up method on Row 15. This also works for
the AVERAGE functions, but the formulas in Column A fail in different
ways.

The simplest solution I have been able to come up with is to use the
Copy-Insert-Down method, then select cell A16 and drag the propagate
handle (is that the right name?) up over A15 and A14.

Is there a better way?

I am running Excel 2007.

0
SquarePeg (160)
8/18/2008 5:29:12 AM
excel 39879 articles. 2 followers. Follow

On Sun, 17 Aug 2008 22:29:12 -0700, Square Peg <SquarePeg@Round.Hole>
wrote:

>I have a table of blood pressure readings that looks something like
>this:
>
>     A     B        C    D    E
>11
>12     Averages:   134   83   74
>13  R#    Date     Sys  Dia  Pul
>14   4   8/17/08   138   87   72
>15   3   8/15/08   130   84   76
>16   2   8/12/08   137   83   70
>17   1   8/11/08   129   79   76
>
>Cell A14 contains =A15+1
>Cell C12 contains =AVERAGE(C14:C17)
>Cell D12 contains =AVERAGE(D14:D17)
>Cell E12 contains =AVERAGE(E14:E17)
>
>Every time I take a new reading, I want to add a row to the top of the
>table, between row 13 (the header) and row 14 (the previous top row).
>I want to push all of the old rows down one row and I want all of the
>formulas to adjust correctly.
>
>When I first created this table, I didn't have the R# (Reading #)
>column. To add a row, I would copy Row 14 just below itself with
>insertion. I would select the entire row, then Ctrl-Shift-Drag the top
>border to the bottom border. This would replicate Row 14 exactly.
>Since the new row was within the range of the AVERAGE formulas in Row
>12, all of those ranges would get updated. I could then just enter the
>new readings and get the new averages.
>
>Call this method the Copy-Insert-Down method.
>

>When I added Column A, I ran into a problem. The Copy-Insert-Down
>method causes the formulas in Column A to get messed up. The formula
>in A14, =A15+1, changes to =A16+1 because A15 became A16. This gives
>the wrong result. It needs to remain =A15+1. And, for reasons that I
>don't understand, the formula in the new A15 becomes =A17+1, which is
>also not what I want.
>

>I can solve the Column A problem by using the Copy-Insert-Up method.
>After selecting Row 14 as above, I Ctrl-Shift-Drag the bottom border
>to the top border. This gets the right formula in all of the cells in
>Column A, but all of the formulas in Row 12 are wrong. They do not
>include the new row.
>
>I do get a little black triangle in the upper left corner of each cell
>in Row 14. If I click on it, I get an exclamation point in a little
>box. If I click on that, I am given several options. One of them is
>"Update formula to include cells". If I click on that, the formula is
>fixed.
>
>Is there a way to set this as the default?
>

>I also tried the Copy-Insert-Up method on Row 15. This also works for
>the AVERAGE functions, but the formulas in Column A fail in different
>ways.
>

>The simplest solution I have been able to come up with is to use the
>Copy-Insert-Down method, then select cell A16 and drag the propagate
>handle (is that the right name?) up over A15 and A14.
>

>Is there a better way?
>

>I am running Excel 2007.

I discovered a reply from David McRitchie from a couple of weeks ago
which mentions the OFFSET function. If I change the formulas in A16 to
=OFFSET(A16,1,0)+1 and propagate upward, then my Copy-Insert-Down
method works. The coding =OFFSET(A16,1,0)+1 in cell A16 is the old
Assembler coding convention of "*+1", meaning "this location plus 1".

Since =OFFSET(A14,1,0)+1 references A15 by referencing itself, rather
than A15 directly as in =A15+1, Excel will not change the "A14" unless
that row itself moves, not if A15 moves.

Slick. Convoluted, but slick.

Too bad Excel doesn't support some simpler notation for "the cell just
below me". I guess [=(*+1)+1] won't work because it doesn't provide
for "the cell just to my right". It would have to be [=(*+1,*)+1].
Ugh.

I thought the old R1C1 notation. The formula then becomes [=R[1]C+1].
But, alas, this still refers to the cell below and when that cell
moves, Excel updates the formula.

So, OFFSET it is.

Thanks, David.
0
SquarePeg (160)
8/18/2008 6:50:41 AM
Hi

If you made your ranges
=AVERAGE(C13:C17) etc.
then you don't have to worry, as row 13 itself is remaining fixed.
Average() will ignore text values in row 13

Just insert a new row at 14 each time, by selecting row number>right
click>Insert.
You will need to grab the fill handle on cell A15 and drag upward to insert
the formula in A14.
--
Regards
Roger Govier

"Square Peg" <SquarePeg@Round.Hole> wrote in message
> I have a table of blood pressure readings that looks something like
> this:
>
>     A     B        C    D    E
> 11
> 12     Averages:   134   83   74
> 13  R#    Date     Sys  Dia  Pul
> 14   4   8/17/08   138   87   72
> 15   3   8/15/08   130   84   76
> 16   2   8/12/08   137   83   70
> 17   1   8/11/08   129   79   76
>
> Cell A14 contains =A15+1
> Cell C12 contains =AVERAGE(C14:C17)
> Cell D12 contains =AVERAGE(D14:D17)
> Cell E12 contains =AVERAGE(E14:E17)
>
> Every time I take a new reading, I want to add a row to the top of the
> table, between row 13 (the header) and row 14 (the previous top row).
> I want to push all of the old rows down one row and I want all of the
> formulas to adjust correctly.
>
> When I first created this table, I didn't have the R# (Reading #)
> column. To add a row, I would copy Row 14 just below itself with
> insertion. I would select the entire row, then Ctrl-Shift-Drag the top
> border to the bottom border. This would replicate Row 14 exactly.
> Since the new row was within the range of the AVERAGE formulas in Row
> 12, all of those ranges would get updated. I could then just enter the
> new readings and get the new averages.
>
> Call this method the Copy-Insert-Down method.
>

> When I added Column A, I ran into a problem. The Copy-Insert-Down
> method causes the formulas in Column A to get messed up. The formula
> in A14, =A15+1, changes to =A16+1 because A15 became A16. This gives
> the wrong result. It needs to remain =A15+1. And, for reasons that I
> don't understand, the formula in the new A15 becomes =A17+1, which is
> also not what I want.
>

> I can solve the Column A problem by using the Copy-Insert-Up method.
> After selecting Row 14 as above, I Ctrl-Shift-Drag the bottom border
> to the top border. This gets the right formula in all of the cells in
> Column A, but all of the formulas in Row 12 are wrong. They do not
> include the new row.
>
> I do get a little black triangle in the upper left corner of each cell
> in Row 14. If I click on it, I get an exclamation point in a little
> box. If I click on that, I am given several options. One of them is
> "Update formula to include cells". If I click on that, the formula is
> fixed.
>
> Is there a way to set this as the default?
>

> I also tried the Copy-Insert-Up method on Row 15. This also works for
> the AVERAGE functions, but the formulas in Column A fail in different
> ways.
>

> The simplest solution I have been able to come up with is to use the
> Copy-Insert-Down method, then select cell A16 and drag the propagate
> handle (is that the right name?) up over A15 and A14.
>

> Is there a better way?
>

> I am running Excel 2007.

0
Roger
8/18/2008 11:02:52 AM
I seht him a file which includes a graph using defined ranges. If anyone
else wants it, I will ONLY respond to OFF list requests.

--
Don Guillett
Microsoft MVP Excel
"Square Peg" <SquarePeg@Round.Hole> wrote in message
>I have a table of blood pressure readings that looks something like
> this:
>
>     A     B        C    D    E
> 11
> 12     Averages:   134   83   74
> 13  R#    Date     Sys  Dia  Pul
> 14   4   8/17/08   138   87   72
> 15   3   8/15/08   130   84   76
> 16   2   8/12/08   137   83   70
> 17   1   8/11/08   129   79   76
>
> Cell A14 contains =A15+1
> Cell C12 contains =AVERAGE(C14:C17)
> Cell D12 contains =AVERAGE(D14:D17)
> Cell E12 contains =AVERAGE(E14:E17)
>
> Every time I take a new reading, I want to add a row to the top of the
> table, between row 13 (the header) and row 14 (the previous top row).
> I want to push all of the old rows down one row and I want all of the
> formulas to adjust correctly.
>
> When I first created this table, I didn't have the R# (Reading #)
> column. To add a row, I would copy Row 14 just below itself with
> insertion. I would select the entire row, then Ctrl-Shift-Drag the top
> border to the bottom border. This would replicate Row 14 exactly.
> Since the new row was within the range of the AVERAGE formulas in Row
> 12, all of those ranges would get updated. I could then just enter the
> new readings and get the new averages.
>
> Call this method the Copy-Insert-Down method.
>

> When I added Column A, I ran into a problem. The Copy-Insert-Down
> method causes the formulas in Column A to get messed up. The formula
> in A14, =A15+1, changes to =A16+1 because A15 became A16. This gives
> the wrong result. It needs to remain =A15+1. And, for reasons that I
> don't understand, the formula in the new A15 becomes =A17+1, which is
> also not what I want.
>

> I can solve the Column A problem by using the Copy-Insert-Up method.
> After selecting Row 14 as above, I Ctrl-Shift-Drag the bottom border
> to the top border. This gets the right formula in all of the cells in
> Column A, but all of the formulas in Row 12 are wrong. They do not
> include the new row.
>
> I do get a little black triangle in the upper left corner of each cell
> in Row 14. If I click on it, I get an exclamation point in a little
> box. If I click on that, I am given several options. One of them is
> "Update formula to include cells". If I click on that, the formula is
> fixed.
>
> Is there a way to set this as the default?
>

> I also tried the Copy-Insert-Up method on Row 15. This also works for
> the AVERAGE functions, but the formulas in Column A fail in different
> ways.
>

> The simplest solution I have been able to come up with is to use the
> Copy-Insert-Down method, then select cell A16 and drag the propagate
> handle (is that the right name?) up over A15 and A14.
>

> Is there a better way?
>

> I am running Excel 2007.

0
dguillett1 (2487)
8/18/2008 12:14:10 PM
Bounced. If desired, send me an acceptable email addy.

--
Don Guillett
Microsoft MVP Excel
"Don Guillett" <dguillett1@austin.rr.com> wrote in message

> [...]
>> Column A, but all of the formulas in Row 12 are wrong. They do not
>> include the new row.
>>
>> I do get a little black triangle in the upper left corner of each cell
>> in Row 14. If I click on it, I get an exclamation point in a little
>> box. If I click on that, I am given several options. One of them is
>> "Update formula to include cells". If I click on that, the formula is
>> fixed.
>>
>> Is there a way to set this as the default?
>>

>> I also tried the Copy-Insert-Up method on Row 15. This also works for
>> the AVERAGE functions, but the formulas in Column A fail in different
>> ways.
>>

>> The simplest solution I have been able to come up with is to use the
>> Copy-Insert-Down method, then select cell A16 and drag the propagate
>> handle (is that the right name?) up over A15 and A14.

0
dguillett1 (2487)
8/18/2008 12:36:48 PM
On Mon, 18 Aug 2008 07:36:48 -0500, "Don Guillett"
<dguillett1@austin.rr.com> wrote:

>Bounced. If desired, send me an acceptable email addy.

Sorry, just trying to stay one step ahead of the spam.

I've sent you an email with a valid email address.
0
SquarePeg (160)
8/18/2008 3:25:32 PM
On Mon, 18 Aug 2008 07:36:48 -0500, "Don Guillett"
<dguillett1@austin.rr.com> wrote:

>Bounced. If desired, send me an acceptable email addy.

Graphs received. Thanks. I'll try to learn from them.
0
SquarePeg (160)

DVD Copy Pro for Mac

Import/copy calendar in Outlook 2003

Copy info from one workbook to another?

Secondary Copy

local copy of mail

Outlook 2000 SP3

Copy picture ossice wizard

Parsing Text When Only One Character Can Be Used To Search
Hello: I've spent a couple of hours looking on this site, and have found some excellent new tips, but still need to ask for assistance. I have a series of text rows containing one string that I need to parse. There are no characters I can use as delimeters (inconsistent), and there is no consistent use of text qualifiers; it's in effect, free form text. Here's a sample record ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------ FROM per_requisitions_v@appslink req2, per_vacancies@appslink vac2, What I need to pull from this string is --...

Any way to add newlines to a static value in workflow?
Hi, all. Pretty simple question (so I hope)... I'm trying to create a workflow rule that will pull data (name and address) from an entity, and update a field within another entity. The problem is that I'm trying to separate the name and address elements with newlines, so that the field will contain: FirstName LastName 123 First St. Townville, IN 12009 Is there a way to specify a newline this way in a Static Value? I've tried the usual stuff (\n, <br>, <br/>, \\n, \r\n, etc.) with no luck. Is there a way to do that? Thanks for any help, Jeremy you are going to hav...

several companies (clients) on one physical Ex 2003 server
Hi I get the job to set up an IT-environment, where we can host several companies (20 - 100 users per client) who want to outsource their IT infrastructure. It should be a terminal server environment on windows 2003 with exchange 2003. The clue is to use as few as possible physical servers. Now the question is: I want to host several of these clients on one Exchange 2003 enterprise server. How can I make it possible that they can't see none ressources among themselves (no free/busy-times, calendars, adress books etc.)? they have also different smtp-domains for email adresses. Has som...

subtotal copy and paste

Copying graphs

Backup mail server (One domain, two mail servers)
Hey there I setup exchange to receive mail for 2 domains. Its working fine. As a contingency plan i want to setup a scenario in which even if my mail server aint available i shouldnt have LOST MAIL/ BOUNCED MAIL issues. I studied a few possibilities including clustering but that aint applicable to our scenario. The possibility applicable is the presence of 2 mail servers on the same domain. If my primary mail server is not available for some reason, my second machine takes over. I know thats possible but HOW? Can someone guide me to the implementation. At the moment, i have one machine servic...

How can I assign a data for one cell from another fixed cell?
I can assign data to one cell by put formular, for example: =H5. But if I add a row, my cell will get data from H6, Excel automatically modified my formular to: =H6 And now I want the data always come from =H5, no matter how many rows I add on top of it. PLease help me. I remember somebody did it, but I forget it. Thank you very much! If I understand your question correctly, you would use absolute references ($ signs to fix the row, column or both)... =$H$5 Rick "new Excel user" <new Excel user@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:BCAE5E50-1EAF-4ADA-9F24...

Copying Views

Having a go with assembly... how do I copy a double into a register??
I'm trying to speed up a maths routine which consists of much iterative multiplication (and adding and subtraction of ) doubles. Now if I declare my doubles as floats float f double d _asm { mov edx, f //ok mov edx, d //error operand size conflict Can someone show me the error of my ways??? Thanks "Si" <me@you.twang> wrote in message news:sm1gk0l60ng23gilu9b68hkcqi3ub9horn@4ax.com... > > > I'm trying to speed up a maths routine which consists of much > iterative multiplication (and adding and subtraction of ) doubles. > > Now if I de...

Local Delivery is not sending to one recipient in Exchange Server
I have one person that is not able to receive emails. I checked and they are all in the Administrative Group Queue "Local Delivery". I don't see any errors and everyone else is receiving their emails. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Exchange Server 2003 version 6.5 -- Carolyn Hi Carolyn, Have you tried forcing the connection? This could be a corrupt mailbox, you might need to backup this mailbox into PST using either ExMerge the Exchange Migration Wizard or Outlook delete the mailbox, then re-create finally import the email back in. If you are able to, you mi...

Failed to start Outlook
It was my first time trying to start the program. I clicked on the icon, and Outlook asked if I wanted to have it synchronized with web-based email or group email. I selected the second option, but then pressed cancel on the pop-up. After all these I attempt to start Outlook again, but it asked me for a MS Office 2000 CD-ROM. Because my office is an OEM one, I do not have any CD-ROM. Any idea? In news:0535C503-AC99-4799-8ECD-BFEB60E2FD94@microsoft.com, Rick <Rick@discussions.microsoft.com> typed: > It was my first time trying to start the program. > > I clicked o...

EXCEL FILE a copy/a copy/a copy ....filename
when i save my excel file i get a saved copy of the file, not the file itself so my file name of a file i save 7 times can have 7 'a copy' in it eg c./my doc/a copy/a copy/ a copy..............a copy/xx.xls Is the file saved as Read Only? Do you get a message on opening asking you if it's read only? Regards, Alan. "ve" <ve@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:88C3DEBA-2C2E-4DF0-978B-F823E120458A@microsoft.com... > when i save my excel file i get a saved copy of the file, not the file > itself so my file name of a file i save ...

copy of treeview
Hello, I have to copy information from a treeview to another treeview... The first TreeCtrl is in a dialog and the second it's in another dialog. The application is Dialog Based and I use my oen solution of property sheet. So if I want to call something from another dialog i make i this way: CResultsPageDlg resDlg((CMyAppDlg*)theApp.GetMainWnd()); resDlg.CopyTreeview(m_TreeView.GetRootItem(), m_TreeView.GetRootItem()); useing the solution from http://www.codeguru.com/Cpp/controls/treeview/dragdrop/article.php/c657/ Somebody knows how to do that? Alex What is CopyTreeview method...

Can I save one page of a multi-page publication?
I can't email a 2-page brochure because the file is too large. Is there any way I can save only one page at a time so I can send each page as a separate file? I'm using Publisher 2003 and trying to send a brochure as a response to a job posting on craigslist. Convert the two page publication to a pdf. www.pimopdf.com offers a free pdf maker and use the 'screen' resolution option for small file size. DavidF "smesaros" <smesaros@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:C55CBB6B-AAB6-40B4-9590-F9FB2DBA5967@microsoft.com... >I can't email a ...

Sending one email, get multiple sent items
I have a user,using Outlook 2003 on Exchange 2003. Sporadically he will reply to an email to an external person, and it will spawn multiple sent items. Just recently, one sent item is the actual email that he sent, and the others (5) appear identically in sent items without his reply...all are sent at the same time. Anyone have any thoughts on this? Any help is greatly appreciated! ...