converting column of text to text box for repetitive records

Hi,
 I have a spreadsheet which contains employee information including job
skills. My problem is that each skill (cook,candlemaker, etc.)creates a new
row for that employee, duplicating fields that don't change, name, ss#,etc
with the only new info in the row being the skill
Like this:
Jane doe,123456789,555-555-5555,cook
Jane doe,123456789,555-555-5555,candlemaker
What I want is 1 row for each employee with the last column containing all
the skills in a text box or separated by commas. Is there an easy way to do
this in Excel? Or even Access?
Thanks, Clark

---

clarkmo (2)
9/14/2004 6:40:43 PM
excel 39879 articles. 2 followers. Follow

To clarify, I want to convert all skills listed in the skill column for each
employee to one cell in that row:
|Jane doe |123456789 | 555-555-5555 | candlemaker, cook |
"Clark Mobley" <clarkmo@bellsouth.net> wrote in message
> Hi,
>  I have a spreadsheet which contains employee information including job
> skills. My problem is that each skill (cook,candlemaker, etc.)creates a
new
> row for that employee, duplicating fields that don't change, name, ss#,etc
> with the only new info in the row being the skill
> Like this:
> Jane doe,123456789,555-555-5555,cook
> Jane doe,123456789,555-555-5555,candlemaker
> What I want is 1 row for each employee with the last column containing all
> the skills in a text box or separated by commas. Is there an easy way to
do
> this in Excel? Or even Access?
> Thanks, Clark
>

> ---

---

clarkmo (2)
9/14/2004 7:21:44 PM
One way is with a little macro:

Option Explicit
Sub testme01()

    Dim FirstRow As Long
    Dim LastRow As Long
    Dim iRow As Long
    Dim wks As Worksheet

    Set wks = Worksheets("sheet1")

    With wks
        FirstRow = 2 'headers??
        LastRow = .Cells(.Rows.Count, "B").End(xlUp).Row

        For iRow = LastRow To FirstRow + 1 Step -1
            If .Cells(iRow, "B").Value = .Cells(iRow - 1, "B").Value Then
                .Cells(iRow - 1, "D").Value _
                     = .Cells(iRow - 1, "D").Value & "," _
                           & .Cells(iRow, "D").Value
                .Rows(iRow).Delete
            End If
        Next iRow
    End With
End Sub

But run this against a copy of your worksheet--it destroys the duplicated rows
when it copies the info to the previous row.

And it also assumes that your data is grouped by SSN (a nice unique key).  If
your data isn't sorted/grouped, sort it first.

And I assumed you had headers in row 1.  Either change the firstrow variable or
insert a header row.

Clark Mobley wrote:

> Hi,
>  I have a spreadsheet which contains employee information including job
> skills. My problem is that each skill (cook,candlemaker, etc.)creates a new
> row for that employee, duplicating fields that don't change, name, ss#,etc
> with the only new info in the row being the skill
> Like this:
> Jane doe,123456789,555-555-5555,cook
> Jane doe,123456789,555-555-5555,candlemaker
> What I want is 1 row for each employee with the last column containing all
> the skills in a text box or separated by commas. Is there an easy way to do
> this in Excel? Or even Access?
> Thanks, Clark
>
> ---

Dave Peterson
ec35720@msn.com
0
ec35720 (10082)

How to Convert UTC to localTIme(C# )

Convert text to time value

how to convert date

Delete some column headings from an autofiltered range.
I've selected a range of cells e.g. A6 to CP83 and autofiltered this range. I wish to retain the list headings for columns A to C but wish to remove the list headings from the remaining columns D to CP without affecting the overall list range. Can this be done? "Champ" wrote: > I've selected a range of cells e.g. A6 to CP83 and autofiltered this range. I > wish to retain the list headings for columns A to C but wish to remove the > list headings from the remaining columns D to CP without affecting the > overall list range. Can this be done? .....

Excel: Auto converting text to numbers

Go To Record
I have a form where the user updates information in fields on a form that is set to Continuous Forms to mimic a data sheet. When it is necessary to add additional information, the user clicks a button that opens a seperate form for additional info that is not a part of every record. Example Two tables, tblone, tbltwo. Two forms, frmRequest (continuous forms mimicking a datasheet), frmDayApproval On frmRequest, Record 1 has data fields a, b, c, d filled in and are all stored on tblone. On frmRequest, Record 2 has data fileds a, b, c, d filled in and are also stored on tblone. However,...

diagonal text
HOW DO I MAKE MY TEXT GO IN A DIAGONAL WAY ACROSS THE PAGE On Sun, 30 Oct 2005 11:06:07 +0100, SCOTT wrote (in article <8844C60C-FD08-4FB5-B289-D530CAA285DA@microsoft.com>): > HOW DO I MAKE MY TEXT GO IN A DIAGONAL WAY ACROSS THE PAGE Lose the caps. It's considered yelling, is incredibly rude and makes your posts very hard to read. Please explain what it is you're attempting to accomplish and your Publisher version. By the way, questions end with question marks (?). What version of Publisher are you using? In 2000, arrange, rotate or flip, custom rotate, input your n...

Convert Access97 to 2000

column to row
hi I have a lot of data in one column in access. I would like to have all this data on the one column to be on one row. Tried to copy it to excel and transpose but the data is too long to transpose. Any ideas. i have over 200k rows and want to list it on one line. thanks. t wrote: >I have a lot of data in one column in access. I would like to have all this >data on the one column to be on one row. Tried to copy it to excel and >transpose but the data is too long to transpose. Any ideas. i have over 200k >rows and want to list it on one line. How do you expe...

T4 and R1 boxes setup
It would be really usefull to have more flexibility on the T4/R1 boxes setup (Income and benefit paycodes). It is not all 'fixed setup' that are applicable to the Canada/Quebec rules. It has been mentionned by a couple of customers. ---------------- This post is a suggestion for Microsoft, and Microsoft responds to the suggestions with the most votes. To vote for this suggestion, click the "I Agree" button in the message pane. If you do not see the button, follow this link to open the suggestion in the Microsoft Web-based Newsreader and then click "I Agree&quo...

Convert 2000 Calendar to web page

Add help text to a form field?
Version: 2008 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.5 (Leopard) I'd like to give people instructions about how to fill in form fields in the form itself. I tried &quot;adding help text,&quot; but nothing shows up in the form field. Is what I am trying to do possible, and, if so, what am I doing wrong? What you're using appears in the Status Bar when the field is accessed. Unless people know to look there it does practically no good. IMHO it's more effective to include instructional text as default content for the field or provide explicit labeling in an adjacent table c...

change case of text #2
Some recent data was imported to an Excell worksheet that had a large amount of text in capital letters. Is there a way to change this data to "PROPER" throughout the entire worksheet? Thank you Gloria Anderson at Habitat for Humanity of Key West and the Lower Florida Keys =proper(range) will do the trick Mike "habikeys" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:017801c39f21$a016ece0$a501280a@phx.gbl... > Some recent data was imported to an Excell worksheet that > had a large amount of text in capital letters. Is there a > way to c...

XML Note convert to DataSet

Convert

Format a concantated text string
Sorry if this is boring but I'm stuck. I have a cell that counts something, it also has a piece of text at the front of the count but I want the count to be formatted as currency and it won't. ="Major "&COUNTIF(C:C,"Major")*245 I've tried ="Major "& Format(COUNTIF(C:C,"Major")*245****) but I can't get it right and think it's a VBA command! Help please! Thanks Dean -- dkso@ntlworld.com http://www.dkso.co.uk/ http://homepage.ntlworld.com/dkso Thank you! Dean "Bob Phillips" <bob.phillips@notheretisca...

Longest Entry in Columns
Hi. What is the best / quickest way to find the longest entry (most characters / numbers, etc.) in a column? Thanks. Hi! This array formula entered with the key combo of CTRL,SHIFT,ENTER will tell you how long the longest entry is in a range of cells: =MAX(LEN(A1:A100)) If you want to identify that entry, you could use conditional formatting: Select the range A1:A100 Goto Format>Conditional Formatting Formula is: =LEN(A1)=MAX(LEN(A$1:A$100)) Click the Format button and select a background fill color OK out Biff >-----Original Message----- >Hi. What is the best / quickest...

Problem converting from Quicken to M2005

Number of hrs worked in a week, based on dates in a different column
Hi. I'm hoping someone will give this a try. I'd like to enter a function into each cell in column D so that the total hours worked for the previous week appears each Sunday. For instance, cell D6 would display 11, the sum of C2:C6 (note this is a short week). Cell D20 would display 22.5, the sum of C7:C20. On some days, no work at all is performed, but on other days multiple tasks are performed. The only cells in column D that should display a value are the Sunday's... all other cells should display nothing. Thanks very much for your help!! Gregg. ...

Numbers converting to decimal

Is It Possible to Control Access Warning Pop-Up Message Boxes?
When running an update query, Access displays a warning message box and prompts for a response ("You are about to run an update query that will modify data in your table"). I have a macro that runs a series of update queries. Right now, I get the message box/response for each query. In this case, there is no need for the message box at all. Is there a way to (ideally) turn off this message for the duration of the query) or to answer it once for all of the queries? Thanks TerryoMSN It is possible to turn the warning off ... WARNING!!! If you forget to turn it bac...

Inventory list columns
There needs to be more columns avaialble in the inventory and other lists. It would also be nice to be able to print from the inventory lists. ---------------- This post is a suggestion for Microsoft, and Microsoft responds to the suggestions with the most votes. To vote for this suggestion, click the "I Agree" button in the message pane. If you do not see the button, follow this link to open the suggestion in the Microsoft Web-based Newsreader and then click "I Agree" in the message pane. http://www.microsoft.com/Businesssolutions/Community/NewsGroups/dgbrowser/en...

I need reminder box for tasks&flags-but NO box for calendar remind
I know how to turn on/off the reminder sound & notification box under options-advanced options. Is there a way to have the reminder notification box activate for tasks & flags, but have NO reminder bos for calendar appointment reminders? No, you'd need to not set reminders on the calendar appointments. -- Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook] Outlook Tips: http://www.outlook-tips.net/ Outlook & Exchange Solutions Center: http://www.slipstick.com/ Outlook Tips by email: mailto:dailytips-subscribe-request@lists.outlooktips.net EMO - a weekly newsletter about Outlo...