Convert date to number

I am wanting to convert date using the today() function to the date only for a sum.
e.g. A1 =Today()
B1= 300
C1= B1/A1

The cell that divides would be where the date conversion is made.

Hope that makes sense

Any help is appreciated

Andrew

0
me994 (146)
4/19/2008 8:23:24 AM
excel 39879 articles. 2 followers. Follow

Hi Andrew,

The date is a number already. Just format A1 as General and you'll see the date serial number.
What do you want to achieve? If you need the date number without the year:
=A1-DATE(YEAR(A1),1,1)+1, Format as General or number (Excel will format it automatically as date, which is not what you need)

If you just want to show the date without a year, format it Custom as mm dd or something similar
--
Kind regards,

Niek Otten
Microsoft MVP - Excel

"@Homeonthecouch" <me@home.com> wrote in message news:a_hOj.3525$Rr7.1005@newsfe29.ams2...
|I am wanting to convert date using the today() function to the date only for a sum.
| e.g. A1 =Today()
| B1= 300
| C1= B1/A1
|
| The cell that divides would be where the date conversion is made.
|
| Hope that makes sense
|
| Any help is appreciated
|
| Andrew

0
nicolaus (2022)
4/19/2008 8:36:56 AM
I think this should do what you want...

C1:     =B1/N(A1)

Rick

"@Homeonthecouch" <me@home.com> wrote in message
>I am wanting to convert date using the today() function to the date only
>for a sum.
> e.g. A1 =Today()
> B1= 300
> C1= B1/A1
>
> The cell that divides would be where the date conversion is made.
>
> Hope that makes sense
>
> Any help is appreciated
>
> Andrew

Hi Couchie,

Today() returns a number that is x number of days from 1/1/1900 and then
format it as a date. If you set it as general format you will see the number
for today.

So if you have today() on the April 19th, 2008 the number is 39557.

So I'm not sure what you want with 300/39557 or a similar number.

Therefore I'm not sure what you wamt to do.

Please explain further.
--
Hope this helps
Martin Fishlock, www.nyfconsultants.com, Bangkok, Thailand

"@Homeonthecouch" wrote:

> I am wanting to convert date using the today() function to the date only for a sum.
> e.g. A1 =Today()
> B1= 300
> C1= B1/A1
>
> The cell that divides would be where the date conversion is made.
>
> Hope that makes sense
>
> Any help is appreciated
>
> Andrew

Ah is see I haven't explained this clearly.
If today = 10/4/2008 I want the value of A1 to just equal the day 19.
Then the sum in cell C1 would be 300/19 or tomorrow it would be 300/20

Hope this explains it a little clearer.

Andrew

"@Homeonthecouch" <me@home.com> wrote in message news:a_hOj.3525$Rr7.1005@newsfe29.ams2...
I am wanting to convert date using the today() function to the date only for a sum.
e.g. A1 =Today()
B1= 300
C1= B1/A1

The cell that divides would be where the date conversion is made.

Hope that makes sense

Any help is appreciated

Andrew

0
me994 (146)
4/19/2008 4:20:27 PM
I'm assuming your saying if 10/4/2008 then the day is 19 was a mistyping of
the number 10. Try putting this in C1...

C1:      =B1/DAY(A1)

Rick

> Ah is see I haven't explained this clearly.
> If today = 10/4/2008 I want the value of A1 to just equal the day 19.
> Then the sum in cell C1 would be 300/19 or tomorrow it would be 300/20
>
> Hope this explains it a little clearer.
>
> Andrew
>
> "@Homeonthecouch" <me@home.com> wrote in message
> I am wanting to convert date using the today() function to the date only
> for a sum.
> e.g. A1 =Today()
> B1= 300
> C1= B1/A1
>
> The cell that divides would be where the date conversion is made.
>
> Hope that makes sense
>
> Any help is appreciated
>
> Andrew

Convert text to time value

how to convert date

Week Number
Can I use the weeknum function to start on April 1st (ie 1st april = week 1) and not the default Jan 1 ? MTIA Elwyn I've never used this function but I think this would work, perhaps someone else would comment, =WEEKNUM(E1-90) Regards, Alan. "elwyn" <elwyn.meredith@btinternet.com> wrote in message news:IY2dnTDiIIjC30zUnZ2dnUVZ8h-dnZ2d@bt.com... > Can I use the weeknum function to start on April 1st (ie 1st april = week > 1) and not the default Jan 1 ? > > MTIA > > Elwyn ...

Odd date problem
I'm reposting this as this is a very strange problem in Access. I'm using 2003. After my entry is an entry by missinglinq via AccessMonster.com who was able to reproduce the error. Looking forward to comments/fixes. Thanks, Rob I have the following in the DblClick event for the control CaseStart which is a date/time field. The problem is that once the control is double clicked the form remains in edit mode, even though I've told it not be editable. Additionally, when the control is double clicked, it shoudn't enter in the time until the Edit button has been clicked o...

How to Convert UTC to localTIme(C# )

Excel: Auto converting text to numbers

Convert Access97 to 2000

Page Numbers in Publisher 2000
I am completing our Employee Handbook and do not want page umbers on my first 9 pages. Page 10 is the first one I want numbered beginning with page #1. Instead my page #10 is labeled page #1. Can anyone help and let me know if this is possible with this software? Thanks. -- Kay -- Kay Correction "Kay" wrote: > I am completing our Employee Handbook and do not want page numbers on my first 9 pages. Page 10 is the first one I want numbered beginning with page #1. > Instead my page #10 is labeled page #10. Can anyone help and let me know if > this is possibl...

Dates not correct
How do I get my DateDif output to reflect the correct 30 days in a month. Im getting 49 days, it should be pulled to the months and 19 days in days. 2 years, 11 months, 49 days See this for examples: http://cpearson.com/excel/datedif.htm Biff <belczyk@gmail.com> wrote in message news:1177357276.085439.98020@e65g2000hsc.googlegroups.com... > How do I get my DateDif output to reflect the correct 30 days in a > month. Im getting 49 days, it should be pulled to the months and 19 > days in days. > > > 2 years, 11 months, 49 days > ...

Convert 2000 Calendar to web page

Outbox displays Received Date
Need some help on this one. I'm using Outlook 2000 on a Windows XP machine and for some odd reason the Outbox now displays the "Received" date and the Inbox displays the "Sent" date. How do i correct this. It seems to be hidden in the PST file because when I login on a different machine it shows the same thing. Right click on the column headers and choose the "Field Chooser". Drag the field you want to see from the Field Chooser into the column headers area. Drag column headers you don't want to see away from the column headers. "Lee" ...

Invoice Due Date #2
Hello, I'm using Money Small Business 2006 and need some help. How can I specify the due date on a invoice? It seems to automatically use the date that the invoice is created on. All help appreciated. Thank you. > How can I specify the due date on a invoice? It seems to automatically > use the date that the invoice is created on. Below the Line Item table there is a link "To add or edit billing and shipping addresses, notes, or other information, go to the Invoice Details". Click that link and you can specify the Payment Terms. I don't see where to specify a cet...

XML Note convert to DataSet

Convert

Problem converting from Quicken to M2005

Number of hrs worked in a week, based on dates in a different column
Hi. I'm hoping someone will give this a try. I'd like to enter a function into each cell in column D so that the total hours worked for the previous week appears each Sunday. For instance, cell D6 would display 11, the sum of C2:C6 (note this is a short week). Cell D20 would display 22.5, the sum of C7:C20. On some days, no work at all is performed, but on other days multiple tasks are performed. The only cells in column D that should display a value are the Sunday's... all other cells should display nothing. Thanks very much for your help!! Gregg. ...

max number of fields on a form (new question)
I am creating a database based on a paper form. The paper form has over 360 individual pieces of information, all of which are recorded for research purposes. My boss would like me to create a replica electronic form based on the paper form, but access only allows 255 fields on one form. Other than subforms, is there any other way to get around this? I have my data organized into related tables, but every field from each table needs to be on the form. Any suggestions? The limit of 255 is not the form. Forms have a lifetime limit of 754 controls. That means that if you delete a control the...

Numbers converting to decimal

format of number keeps changing
I have an excel spreadsheet and in 2 of the columns i have a list of numbers, the format of the cells for each column are the same but on the second column when i type in a number and hit enter to go to the cell below it changes the digit at the end of the number to a zero, for example if i put in 12345 when i hit enter it changes to 12340, this doesnt happen on the column beside it even thought the formatting of the numbers for each cell in both columns is the same. Any ideas????? Is the number more like 1234567890123456 and it becomes 1234567890123450 ?? If so, you're ...

Converting Quicken 2004 to Money

Importing Entourage Date
Version: 2008 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.5 (Leopard) Processor: Intel Email Client: pop The board on my old MacBook has just died but I managed to clone the disc and drag all the data out and onto an external drive. All my data is there along with what seems to be the complete system however I can't import the Entourage files, database and folders into my iMac! I've tried to locate the folders and files using import then searching through the Documents / Office 2008 identities etc. but when I get to the database folders they are 'greyed' out and I can't attach th...

Converting from AOL to Outlook

Customizing "Convert Campaign Response"
We have created custom Fields in the Campaign Response entity that we would like to populate on the Lead Entity when we do a conversion. However it doesn't seem like this is possible from the Data Map. Is there a way to modify what fields are carried forward during a conversion, or do I need to find a different method? Thank you in advance. Hi, As I had some time left, I tried to figure this one out. To my surprise I can't find ANY direct link between a converted campaign response and a new lead. There is only an indirect link, through the campaign entity. But that does not ...