Condtional formatting - ISTEXT

Is there a way to change the color of a cell if the cell contains text?

thanks
--
thomp
0

Use T(ref) and whether or not the result is ""

ThomP wrote:

> Is there a way to change the color of a cell if the cell contains text?
>
> thanks

0
birelan (531)
5/28/2009 4:20:36 PM
Could explian further?

If cell A1 has "thom" in it, how do we make it highlight yellow?
--
thomp

"Bob I" wrote:

> Use T(ref) and whether or not the result is ""
>
> ThomP wrote:
>
> > Is there a way to change the color of a cell if the cell contains text?
> >
> > thanks

0
ThomP (5)
5/28/2009 4:50:01 PM
Try this using conditional formatting...

Select cell A1
Goto the menu Format>Conditional Formatting
Select the Formula Is option
Enter this formula in the box on the right:
=ISTEXT(A1)
Click the Format button
Select the desired style(s)
OK out

--
Biff
Microsoft Excel MVP

"ThomP" <ThomP@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Could explian further?
>
> If cell A1 has "thom" in it, how do we make it highlight yellow?
> --
> thomp
>

> "Bob I" wrote:
>
>> Use T(ref) and whether or not the result is ""
>>
>> ThomP wrote:
>>
>> > Is there a way to change the color of a cell if the cell contains text?
>> >
>> > thanks

0
biffinpitt (3171)
5/28/2009 5:05:26 PM
First don't use a sig separator if you aren't bottom posting, as it
strips quoted material. Are you changing the requirement to be Specific
text, or just some text as the original question indicated?

It is pretty straight forward.

=T(A1)<>"" for any text
or
=A1="thom" for specific text

 > Could explian further?
 >
 > If cell A1 has "thom" in it, how do we make it highlight yellow?

 >"Bob I" wrote:

>> Use T(ref) and whether or not the result is ""
>>
>> ThomP wrote:
>>
>> > Is there a way to change the color of a cell if the cell contains text?
>> >
>> > thanks

0
birelan (531)
5/28/2009 5:10:22 PM
This formulas should of course be inserted into conditional
formatting. Works great!
0
klemen25 (61)

Condtional Formatting
Is there a way to set a label to display differing sets of text based on a merge field value? Or a way to set the visible property of a label to false? I suppose I could set a whole mess of merge fields and use those as my labels but then that becomes a heck of alot of data for a user to fill in/understand how to fill in correctly if they want to create a datasource file. I'm using Publisher 2003. ...

Format cell will not appear
Hello, I have a budget spreadsheet in E2k that I need to update. I can change al the numbers and formlas but if I select Format Cells the dialog box will not appear. I cannot find a single cell anyware in that workbook that works. The budget sheet has some grey area to the righ. I tweaked it last year and I can't remember what I did. Please help Tim Tim, Maybe the sheet is protected. Tools, Protection. If you see Unprotect sheet" it was. -- Earl Kiosterud mvpearl omitthisword at verizon period net ------------------------------------------- "Tim Marciniak" <t...

Help Q: Entering 7 p time format, does not convert to 19:00
Hi, I am running excel 2002, and when I open a new spreadsheet, and enter a time into a cell as 7 p it gets converted to 19:00 I have taken a spreadsheet file someone has given me, and reformatted it. but whenever I enter a time like 7 p it shows up as 7 p if I enter 7 pm it does get converted to 19:00 Is there a setting in the sheet itself somewhere to change this behavior ? I have searched all over, and can find no reference to this. Please help - TIA ! Hi probably differences in the Windows regional settings for both machines -- Regards Frank Kabel Frankfurt, Germany "ANONRW&q...

chart formating
My simple chart project has turned ugly. I have several charts linked from different files into my active spreadsheet. The x axis on all of these linked charts are date fields. However, on all of these linked charts a general number format is showing up not a date format. Is there anyway to have these numbers defaulted to a dated format? I've had problems with dates looking like numbers on axes in the past, and to get them to look like dates I had to go into the axis properties (right-click the axis or one of the numbers on the axis, then click on "format axis") an...

Formatting and Grouping Columns
In Office 2000 in Excel when you select two columns and right click it included the option to "Unhide" or "Hide". In Office XP in Excel I can not select two columns it automatically expands the selection to include the Merged Row above it which includes all the columns below - not just the two I selected. When I select just two cells the right click does not include the option to "Unhide" or "Hide". I have to go to the format menu, select column and select "Unhide" or "Hide". Is there a way to select columns without including...

ime Format in Calculation
I am using DateAdd("n",-30,[StartTime]) & " for " & [starttime] to insert 8.30am for 9.00am in a report - calculated from the StartTime in a Table. the result is 8.30.00AM for 9.00.00AM. I need help to get rid of the Seconds. Thanks in advance. Try: Format(DateAdd("n",-30,[StartTime]), "h:nn AM/PM) & " for " & Format([starttime] , "h:nn AM/PM) -- Arvin Meyer, MCP, MVP http://www.datastrat.com http://www.mvps.org/access http://www.accessmvp.com "Tom Ventouris" <TomVentouris@discussions.micro...

Help With Time Formatting
I want to format a number such as 33.15 to appear as days, hours, minutes, i.e. 33:03:36, or similar. So far, I've been unable to come up with a custom format that will do that. You won't, because 33 hours is held not as 33 but as 1.375, that is 33 divided by 24. So you need to divide by 24 first then format as [h]:mm:ss. -- HTH Bob "Erehwon" <granmark@NOSPAMyahoo.com> wrote in message news:e7t60QE5KHA.620@TK2MSFTNGP02.phx.gbl... >I want to format a number such as 33.15 to appear as days, hours, minutes, >i.e. 33:03:36, or similar. ...

Vlookup,format general, format text
Hi, I am having a pull the hair out problem with excel. I have a workbook that I use vlookup to get data from a datasheet in the same workbook. The data is a combination of text and numbers and text and numbers combined. Excel sometimes returns the values I want and sometimes doesn't. Sometimes I have to format the data as text and vlookup will work and sometimes not. Then I switch the data to general and it will work and sometimes not. This is extremely frustrating. Now I have a few cells that will not return anything but N/A no matter what format I have it in. I know that that dat...

Import data not in correct format
Import data reads: Need to do statistical anaysis on hundreds of numbers and Cell value # of Cells don't want to enter the numbers by hand. 3 1 4 2 Would like: Cell Value 3 4 4 ...

Pivot charts
I am using pivot charts to make lots of mini charts from a large set of data. Every time I add to the data and refresh the charts they lose their formatting and I have to go through and reformat everything! I have to change the colours and the font size, it’s driving me crazy. Is there a way to stop it reformatting everything and making it keep my changes? -- Thanks, Rob E. Hi, This is a know problem. Changing a PivotChart removes series formatting in Excel http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;Q215904 Cheers Andy Rob E wrote: > I am using pivot charts to make ...

Formatting a report
Is there a way to format a report such that every other record displayed is highlighted? For example record 1 would be 'normal' while record 2 would be highlighted, say yellow, all the way across the report...and so on. Is this possible in access? Thank you On the On Print Event of the Detail section of your report, add the following: If Me.Section(0).BackColor = 16777215 Then Me.Section(0).BackColor = 8454143 Else Me.Section(0).BackColor = 16777215 End If Hope this helps, Jackie "accessuser1308" wrote: > Is there a way to format a...

removing space formating ?
My question is, how can I copy and paste a row of cells without importing any table formatting with it ? In order to use our data retrieval system, 9 digit references need to be entered into a single (seemingly endless) data field. The issue is the tab/space formatting when being copied over.The references (I have >500 in one file) have to be separated by a semi colon with no tab/spaces for the data to be returned. At the moment my method is to copy and paste into wordpad (no wrap), then copy and paste into Word and manually set the tab size to zero. THEN copy all into one cell of a w...

Condtional Formatting
Hi I have a list of numbers which I would like to automatically format with a green background......does anyone know how I can do this 3.5 4 5 8 8 the first four values should be highlighted green 10 12 14 14 14 16 0.8 the next four value should be highlighted green 4 6.5 8 14 16 the next four and so on..........the top four values are identified by the number to start with being smaller than the preceding number 1.2 3 3.5 8 12 2.5 From here top four values to be green 3 3.5 5.5 7.5 10 20 2.75 From here top four values to be green 3.33 5 6.5 2.75 From here top four values to be gre...

Excel Date Sort Format: Weekday, Month Day, Year
-Whenever I try to sort data in the format shown Wkdy, Month Day, Year it reverts to some alphabetical crap by the leftmost item. I hav 2000+ items I have randomly placed in this column and I just need th thing sorted or a format that will make it work. This shouldn't b this difficult. Don't tell me I have to delete the weekday or place i last to make it work. -- mrsinniste ----------------------------------------------------------------------- mrsinnister's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=3273 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com...

A better picture format?
I am producing an 8-page newsletter on Publisher 2002. The photographer shoots color pictures in .jpg format, which I later convert to black&white. But I read in a Publisher Handbook that .jpg is not a good format for B&W. Question 1: Should I convert that color .jpg file to another format (.gif, .tiff, whatever) and then convert to B&W, then play around with contrast and brightness in Publisher to get a greyscale image I'm happy with? Will it make any difference to convert a .jpg file to another format for better B&W reproduction? Question 2: I don't k...

How do I format all worksheets in a workbook at one time ?
I want to create a workbook that has all worksheets formatted in the same manner. Is there anyway to do so without formatting each worksheet separately ? yes, Right click on any sheet tab, Select "Select All Sheets" from the pop-up menu. Have fun formatting the active sheet. When done take a look at any sheet and the formatting is done on ALL the selected sheets. Dan Knight "EBrock" wrote: > I want to create a workbook that has all worksheets formatted in the same > manner. Is there anyway to do so without formatting each worksheet > separately ? Dan, l...

posting a " Message" format folder in Public Folder
How can I post a " Message" format custum Folder on Public Folder? Meaning: I want to create a Cutom Form and post it on Public Folder, but it has to be on " Message" format, so when someone sees that on public folder, they can add stuff and " REPLY" or " CC:" to it. Please help, no matter what I do it doesn't work. Thank you The easiest method is to mail-enable the PF and then address your message to it as a recipient. -- Sue Mosher, Outlook MVP Author of Microsoft Outlook Programming - Jumpstart for Administrators, Power Users, a...

condtional formatting
Hi i just wanted to know how to condtional formula a date, basicall people dont work on 25/12/** (** = whichever year) as it is Xmas day therefore i would like to condtional format this cell. Lets say the Date is in cell A:1, i went to: 1) Format 2) Condtional Formatting 3) then i am not sure if i should leave the drop down as 'Cell Value or changed it to 'Formula'. Also am not sure what to put into the formula bar, thats if it i 'formula' that has to be selected in the drop down at the conditiona formatting dialogue box. Can anybody please help me.. regards -- Messag...

Date Format Question
Hi! everyone. I hv one Excel date format question. The excel show the date as follows: 5/9/2017 0:00:00 (under the format of d/m/yyyy h:mm) This is definitely is a wrong date. When I change the format to GENERAL, it show like this 42983 Anyone can help me to change to the correct date? Thank you very much -- vitalit ----------------------------------------------------------------------- vitality's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=2726 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=50559 So what it is supposed to be? Exce...

Conditional Formatting #136
Hello Excel(lent) Colleagues, I am looking for the following way of conditional formatting. I have a row in which field A1 contains a text. B1 contains a date C1 contains the date of B1+7 days D1 contains the date of C1+7 days E1 contains the date of D1+7 days I want to mark the text in A1 with a particular colour if any of the date fields is marked with an X. I tried to work with: Formula is : =IF($C$3:$H$3="X";TRUE;FALSE) The effect of this is that only if you cross B1 it will turn a different colour, but if you move that cross from B1 to say E1, the colour dissapears, we...

Currency Formatting.
I have formatted number ( say 53.345 ) to currency format with $ symbol and 2 decimals. When I do this, I don't see any change in the display. But when I place my cursor in the cell and press return, then the format changes to currency. Please note that the data is coming from Query thru ODBC connection to SYBASE. Thx. That is because the data is importing as text, which doesn't format, and only gets converted to a number, which does format, when you edit it. -- HTH RP (remove nothere from the email address if mailing direct) "John Smith" <John Smith@discussi...

formatting tables
Hi, I am using Publisher 2002, using a booklet format and using tables to create an address booklet. Is it possible to create a table that will overflow from one page into the next automatically? I need to have the option of easily adding or deleting cells as new members join our organization. I don't know why this is seeming so difficult to do, I must be not getting something. Please help! Andrea Andrea you cannot create a Table that will flow from one page to the next. I would seriously recommend against using a Table for an Address Book. This can be easily done a better way. I...

Dash in format
I have a file that has the dash in the social security number of the people in the spreadsheet. I want to remove the dash without having to enter the SS # again. I have tried the format but all that does is apply a format to the cell. When I remove the format the dashes still remain? Any help would be greatly appreciated! The cells are probably text. select the cells and use find replace (find dash and replace with nothing) (note the dash could be several types, and your best best is to copy one of the dashes and paste it into the find box.) the cells will probably still be text n...

date format problem #3
using 2003. I receive a file that contains date information in cells formated as General. The dates are in the format mm/yy (ie 03/09). I changed the cell type to "date" and changed the date format from mm/yy to month/year (ie Mar-09) format. However, it does not refresh even if I recalc. However, when I double click the cell and then move to the next cell it refreshes that cell and I get the proper date format. Anybody know what's going on and how do I get the whole sheet to refresh? I have thousands of rows. meg99 Copy an empty cell. Select your dates. Paste Special, ...

How do I format a negative number in parenthesis?
The format cell does not alllow for parenthesis around negative numbers with decimal places? How can I set this up? Use a custom format like: 0.00;-(0.00) HTH J -- pinmaste ----------------------------------------------------------------------- pinmaster's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=626 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=49856 Hi John click on the cell choose format / cell under CUSTOM type #,##0.00;[Red](#,##0.00) this should give you what you want. -- Cheers JulieD julied_ng at hctsReMoVeThIs dot...