Conditionally format another cell?

Is there a way to change the background color of a cell based on the
contents of a different cell?

thanks!!!

excel 39879 articles. 2 followers. Follow

Just use a formula that refers to the other cell.

If I want X99 to change depending on what's in A1.

I select X99 and then format|conditional formatting
Formula is:
=$A$1="anythingyouwant"

--

Dave Peterson
0

Today Conditional Format

Two Condition Vlookup?

Can't format numbers for France in Excel 2003
I'm using the US version of Excel 2003, but need to format costs, etc., for a project in the French euro format (e.g., I need 2050.45 euros to display as 2 050,45). That currency format isn't offered in my dialog box, and if I make a custom number format that will display correctly, it doesn't operate as a number. Any suggestions? On Wed, 10 Oct 2007 08:51:03 -0700, Mary Fran <MaryFran@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >I'm using the US version of Excel 2003, but need to format costs, etc., for a >project in the French euro format (e.g., I need 2050.45 euros...

Query condition by date range

Another Exchange Defrag argument
I agree doing an offline defrag should be a last resort for several reasons. However, a question has come up about the use of a third-party file-level defrag utility on Exchange servers. We run Exchange 2003 Enterprise Edition so the store size is not limited to 16GB. The stores are fragmented, some with a thousand fragments. Online defragmentation is not going to help with this potential I/O problem; it will simply arrange the white space within the database neatly. As the database continues to grow it will grab some of the fragmented free space on the volume, making the database f...

How do I associate task list with another calendar?
I have an extensive task list that shows in one calendar view. I would like it to show in another. Can I associate it, or does it have to all be reentered? "holyharvester" <holyharvester@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:1A0249B2-3A52-43ED-9509-E65851724BD9@microsoft.com... >I have an extensive task list that shows in one calendar view. I would like > it to show in another. Can I associate it, or does it have to all be > reentered? You first: state your Outlook version. -- Brian Tillman [MVP-Outlook] Only the default task list dis...

Inserting a cell in the header.
We are trying to get a cell in the header of a sheet. Can this be done? Example would be in our sheet in D9 is TFF. We want whatever is in D9 to go in the header. I'm not sure this makes sense. Thanks Wendy You could do this with a macro linked to the worksheet_change event. Insert the following code into the macro sheet for the sheet with the cell if interest. Private Sub Worksheet_Change(ByVal Target As Range) For Each Cell In Target If Cell.Address = "$D$9" Then ActiveSheet.PageSetup.CenterHeader = Cell.Value End If Next Cell End Sub -- mrice Research Scientist with ...

Format cells #7

Excel cell value equals selected text from Word
Is it possible to bookmark or link a piece of text in Microsoft Word eg. a title in the word document is 'West Belfast Profile' In Excel, I would like to make a cell value equal to the text from Word. Basically cell A5 in excel equals 'West' from the title 'West Belfast Profile' in Word. If the user changes the title in Word to 'East Belfast Profile', the cell value in Excel changes to 'East'. Is this possible? You go to Word document and copy the text you want to link to Excel, select the cell you want to paste to Excel file, right-click ...

Formatting worksheet
I have a workbook with three worksheets and one chartsheet in it. I have notes documenting various aspects of the four sheets. Some of those notes are on electronic post-it notes and others on scraps of paper. It seems to me that a convenient way to consolidate all of my documentation for the workbook would be to add another worksheet to it and put the information in it. What would be the best way to format the worksheet so that I could type information into it as if I were using a text editor? Leslie, Excel isn't really all that set up for text. I sometimes make narrow column...

Conditional Field in Queries

Combobox value populate cell selection
I am looking for button code to have a selected cell range merged and populated with value chosen from combobox. This value is centered in the merged cell selection. The cells range is defined manually with mouse. Bart Have a look at this event code which you can refine. No error-checking for data in the selected range...........assumes the mergerange is empty when selected. Runs when a value is selected from Combobox1 Private Sub ComboBox1_Change() Set srng = Application.InputBox(prompt:= _ "Select A Range", Type:=8) With srng .HorizontalAlignment = xlCen...

zip codes not being saved as text in CSV format
I need my file to be saved in CSV format (to import into another application). When I format the zip codes as Text or Special(zip code), they are correct in XLS format, but when I open the file in CSV format they switch back to general. Any solution? work around? Thanks so much for your help in advance!! Melissa Change the file extension to .txt and use the text import wizard to treat the column as text (last dialog) -- Regards, Tom Ogilvy "MelissaM" <MelissaM@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:B5A02627-810E-4234-8247-267D9B12FA29@microsoft.com... >...

format a column
I have a simple question to ask, I have a column in Excel is number like 142000, I want to format the whole column numbers without the two ending 0s, change 142000 to 1420, how can I do that? Thanks -- xcao ------------------------------------------------------------------------ xcao's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=14538 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=471821 Enter 100 in an empty cell and copy it. Then, select your range of numbers you want to change, Right Click and go to Paste Special, and select Div...

How to return a 12 hour time format without the AM in an Access query
The format function acts differently in a query and after hours of testing, messing, and cursing, I give up. How do you return 12 hour format without the AM or PM from an Access query. In my table, I've defined the Start Time and End Time to use "Medium Time" format and it works if and ONLY if you simple include the field in the query. However, if you use the field in a more complex statement, it returns leading zeros and trailing seconds. Here's what I've tried.... 'This didn't work because it returns trailing seconds and AM/PM. '2:00:00 PM...

another combo box poulation challenge
I've got yet another combo box population challenge! This one involves 1 main form and 3 subforms. To keep things simple I'll simplify the names: [frmMain] [sfrmResource].[ResourceID] - sfrm of [frmMain] [sfrmLocation].[LocationID] - sfrm of [sfrmResource] [sfrmLine].[LineID] - sfrm of [sfrmLocationID] I hope that clearly illustrates the design. One thing to note is that the 3 subforms are also used in several other forms but in the same manner. Here's what I'd like to populate: [sfrmLine].[LineID] according to the value in [sfrmLocation]. [LocationID]. Here's the trick...

Conditional null value

Another simple "average of..."?
(Using Excel 2002) Is there a way to have Excel automatically enter the number of cell (with entries in them) into another cell. A simple example: Let's say I have values entered into D5, D6, and D7, but D8-D14 are blank. I have the total number of entries in D15 now as 3 (3 entries are filled in), but I'd like that to change (to 4, as 4 entries are no filled in) automatically when I enter a value into D8. Then when I enter another value into D9, I'd like D15 to change to "5", and so on... Is there a way Excel can do this? My spreadsheet is more complex or I woul...

Display ALL text contents in cell
I am having trouble displaying all the contents in the cell. It is som lengthy information in the cell. I have made the row height as high a it will go, but it still won't display all the information. I canno make the column width any wider than I have it set, because then th other columns will not fit on the page. Does anyone know how t overcome this problem? : -- Flipper106 ----------------------------------------------------------------------- Flipper1067's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=2561 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/...

Help
Forgive me if "Conditional Sums" is not the accurate word for what I am trying to accomplish... I'm at a loss for what to call this situation. What I have is a spreadsheet totaling attendance figures for classes taught by two people (Dave and Cary). Column A lists their name, and next to it in Column B is the number of people who attended that class. What I need is a formula that will look at the sheet and report in a given cell the total for attendance for each person. I can work basic formulas like SUM, but that will give the total for the entire column, when what I n...