Conditional Formatting Text!!

Hi

I want to conditionally format some text in a spreadsheet using
formula:

I have column A1 with:
4a Be
3a To
4c To
4b Be
4c Be
5c Be
5c To
6a Be

etc...

What I want to do is for all cells which contain  "5a Be" "5b Be" 5c
Be" "4a Be" "4b be" and "4c Be" to be highlighted in Red - is there a
formula to put all of them into one formula - If("5a Be" or "5b Be)
etc..

Thanks

Kiran

excel 39879 articles. 2 followers. Follow

"Kiran" <kiran.vithal@gmail.com> wrote in message
> Hi
>
> I want to conditionally format some text in a spreadsheet using
> formula:
>
> I have column A1 with:
> 4a Be
> 3a To
> 4c To
> 4b Be
> 4c Be
> 5c Be
> 5c To
> 6a Be
>
> etc...
>
> What I want to do is for all cells which contain  "5a Be" "5b Be" 5c
> Be" "4a Be" "4b be" and "4c Be" to be highlighted in Red - is there a
> formula to put all of them into one formula - If("5a Be" or "5b Be)
> etc..
>
> Thanks
>
> Kiran

Format/Conditional Formatting
=A1=OR()

Fill in parentheses as needed, format as you like.

Beege

Assuming your data starts in A1, then your formula would be:

=OR(A1="5a Be",A1="5b Be",A1="5cBe",A1="4a Be",A1="4b Be",A1="4c Be")

You can either enter this formula with just A1 selected and then apply
the Format Painter, or highlight all the cells starting with A1 and put
the formula in - it will automatically adjust.

Hope this helps.

Pete

0
pashurst (2576)
3/22/2006 7:13:59 PM
Try something like this:

Select the cells to be formatted
(I selected A1:A10, with A1 as the active cell)

<Format><Conditional Formatting>
Formula is: =ISNUMBER(SEARCH("_"&A1&"_","_5a Be_5b Be_5c Be_4a Be_4b be_4c
Be_"))
Then set the format.

Note: that formula is NOT case sensitive. If you need it to be case
sensitive, replace SEARCH with FIND.

Does that help?

***********
Regards,
Ron

XL2002, WinXP-Pro

"Kiran" wrote:

> Hi
>
> I want to conditionally format some text in a spreadsheet using
> formula:
>
> I have column A1 with:
> 4a Be
> 3a To
> 4c To
> 4b Be
> 4c Be
> 5c Be
> 5c To
> 6a Be
>
> etc...
>
> What I want to do is for all cells which contain  "5a Be" "5b Be" 5c
> Be" "4a Be" "4b be" and "4c Be" to be highlighted in Red - is there a
> formula to put all of them into one formula - If("5a Be" or "5b Be)
> etc..
>
> Thanks
>
> Kiran

Hi

It doesn't seem to work...

I have all my data in column A: with data going from row 1 to 28 etc.

can you give me an example - is this correct:

=A1:A28="4a Be"=OR("4b Be")=OR("etc")
This does not work for me - am I on the right lines?

Thanks

Hi

Thank you for this suggestion - fantastic!!!

It works a treat

Regards

Kiran

Thanks for all your suggestions!!

Regards

Thanks for feeding back, Kiran.

Pete

0
pashurst (2576)

Today Conditional Format

how do i delete connected text boxes?
i need to delete a sperate section in a text box on Publisher. it's in the vintage newsletter and the Inside this issue section Unlink the text boxes, the text will stay in text box one. You will have to delete the text by elongating the first text box. -- Mary Sauer http://msauer.mvps.org/ "drjones168" <drjones168@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:2949781C-9685-4614-B7C3-2418E76C02D0@microsoft.com... > i need to delete a sperate section in a text box on Publisher. it's in the > vintage newsletter and the Inside this issue secti...

Change case of text
I have Word 2007. In earlier versions of Word under the Format tab there was a change case option that made it easy to change selected text to all upper, lower, etc. I cannot fund this function in Word 2007. Where is it? -- Thanks for your help - jjk98 Home tab, Font Group, Change Case "Aa" icon. Also, does Shft+F3 toggle the text, from no caps - initial caps - all caps? Hope this helps DeanH "jjk98" wrote: > I have Word 2007. In earlier versions of Word under the Format tab there was > a change case option that made it easy to change selected...

Two Condition Vlookup?

Can't format numbers for France in Excel 2003
I'm using the US version of Excel 2003, but need to format costs, etc., for a project in the French euro format (e.g., I need 2050.45 euros to display as 2 050,45). That currency format isn't offered in my dialog box, and if I make a custom number format that will display correctly, it doesn't operate as a number. Any suggestions? On Wed, 10 Oct 2007 08:51:03 -0700, Mary Fran <MaryFran@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >I'm using the US version of Excel 2003, but need to format costs, etc., for a >project in the French euro format (e.g., I need 2050.45 euros...

Query condition by date range

Inserting a text Watermark automatically moves all text down one l
In Word 2003, when I try and insert a text watermark from the Format/Background menu, on pages with .3 or less margins, there is a flicker and all the text automatically moves down one line. Clicking Undo (or the blue back arrow) removes the watermark, but DOES NOT move the text back up. I need the .3 margins and a ‘CONFIDENTIAL’ text watermark for this particular document. I tried changing the ‘Auto’ size option, with no difference. Is this an unnoticed and unfixable glitch in Word 2003? How can I insert the watermark without the text being moved down? Also, what size text...

Format cells #7

Excel cell value equals selected text from Word
Is it possible to bookmark or link a piece of text in Microsoft Word eg. a title in the word document is 'West Belfast Profile' In Excel, I would like to make a cell value equal to the text from Word. Basically cell A5 in excel equals 'West' from the title 'West Belfast Profile' in Word. If the user changes the title in Word to 'East Belfast Profile', the cell value in Excel changes to 'East'. Is this possible? You go to Word document and copy the text you want to link to Excel, select the cell you want to paste to Excel file, right-click ...

Formatting worksheet
I have a workbook with three worksheets and one chartsheet in it. I have notes documenting various aspects of the four sheets. Some of those notes are on electronic post-it notes and others on scraps of paper. It seems to me that a convenient way to consolidate all of my documentation for the workbook would be to add another worksheet to it and put the information in it. What would be the best way to format the worksheet so that I could type information into it as if I were using a text editor? Leslie, Excel isn't really all that set up for text. I sometimes make narrow column...

missing text
For some reason when I go to the query or report that was run some text disappears. I have verified that the text is complete in both the table and the form. What can I do to have all the text show up in my queries and reports? On Wed, 27 Jan 2010 14:02:01 -0800, access novice <access novice@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >For some reason when I go to the query or report that was run some text >disappears. I have verified that the text is complete in both the table and >the form. What can I do to have all the text show up in my queries and >reports? ...

Conditional Field in Queries

zip codes not being saved as text in CSV format
I need my file to be saved in CSV format (to import into another application). When I format the zip codes as Text or Special(zip code), they are correct in XLS format, but when I open the file in CSV format they switch back to general. Any solution? work around? Thanks so much for your help in advance!! Melissa Change the file extension to .txt and use the text import wizard to treat the column as text (last dialog) -- Regards, Tom Ogilvy "MelissaM" <MelissaM@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:B5A02627-810E-4234-8247-267D9B12FA29@microsoft.com... >...

What is the box character in a text field and how do I replace it?
I have a text\memo filed that has a box charter(s) in it. I do not remember if it is a carriage return or whatever. Whats is the character and how do I replace it? Thanks Dave On Tue, 27 Apr 2010 06:46:01 -0700, Dave <Dave@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >I have a text\memo filed that has a box charter(s) in it. I do not remember >if it is a carriage return or whatever. Whats is the character and how do I >replace it? > >Thanks > >Dave You'll need to find out what it is. My guess is that it's a linefeed Chr(10) - it wouldn...

format a column
I have a simple question to ask, I have a column in Excel is number like 142000, I want to format the whole column numbers without the two ending 0s, change 142000 to 1420, how can I do that? Thanks -- xcao ------------------------------------------------------------------------ xcao's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=14538 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=471821 Enter 100 in an empty cell and copy it. Then, select your range of numbers you want to change, Right Click and go to Paste Special, and select Div...

How to return a 12 hour time format without the AM in an Access query
The format function acts differently in a query and after hours of testing, messing, and cursing, I give up. How do you return 12 hour format without the AM or PM from an Access query. In my table, I've defined the Start Time and End Time to use "Medium Time" format and it works if and ONLY if you simple include the field in the query. However, if you use the field in a more complex statement, it returns leading zeros and trailing seconds. Here's what I've tried.... 'This didn't work because it returns trailing seconds and AM/PM. '2:00:00 PM...

Change "Text Numbers" to "Numbers"
Hello, Can you tell me how to (with a macro) change a range of cells that have text numbers to real numbers so I can use them in formulas and also have them show up as real numbers if I save the file as a .prn file. The range of cells begin in row 2 from column C through column AZ. I would really appreciate your help. I have spent days on this and I'm still lost. Thank You, Nichole Hi try the following: - set the format for these cells to a 'number' format' - select an empty cell and copy this cell - select your range of text numbers - goto 'Edit - Paste Special&#...

Conditional null value

Data label with text "N/A"
Hello, I've a simple column chart plotting % of daily on time delivery. There are days that I don't have any delivery so I insert "N/A" to the relevant cells. However, when I inserted data labels to the chart, those values with "N/A" were shown as 0%. Without hiding the rows with "N/A", what other ways can I do to have data labels not showing "N/A" as 0%? Many thanks in advance... -- exalan A line or XY chart skips a point when it encounters #N/A (note the # prefix, which makes it an official Excel error). No point, no data label. N/...

Display ALL text contents in cell
I am having trouble displaying all the contents in the cell. It is som lengthy information in the cell. I have made the row height as high a it will go, but it still won't display all the information. I canno make the column width any wider than I have it set, because then th other columns will not fit on the page. Does anyone know how t overcome this problem? : -- Flipper106 ----------------------------------------------------------------------- Flipper1067's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=2561 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/...

Help
Forgive me if "Conditional Sums" is not the accurate word for what I am trying to accomplish... I'm at a loss for what to call this situation. What I have is a spreadsheet totaling attendance figures for classes taught by two people (Dave and Cary). Column A lists their name, and next to it in Column B is the number of people who attended that class. What I need is a formula that will look at the sheet and report in a given cell the total for attendance for each person. I can work basic formulas like SUM, but that will give the total for the entire column, when what I n...