conditional formatting - row colour/dates

I'm not understanding conditional formatting re dates.

I have an Excel sheet which has a "Received Date" column. After three days
from the date entered in the "received date" column, I would like the text
for the text for the row to turn orange, after five days I would like the
text for the row to turn red +bold. After 7 days I would like for the rows
in red +bold to show turn  yellow and a message box, on document start-up,
to show the user that these rows have overdue tasks that need attention
*now* (basically an irritating nag box)

My first concern is to get the conditional formatting changes working - from
what I've been able to ascertain from online searching has turned up nothing
I've been able to work which leads me to believe I'm not really
understanding what is happening. I'd really appreciate some assistance.

Please let me know if you need more information from me.

Regards
Camille

p.s. I'm working with Win/Office 2000.

0
bogusjunk (4)
12/5/2003 12:17:54 PM
excel 39879 articles. 2 followers. Follow

To sort out the Conditional formatting your 3 conditions should be:

Condition 1 "Cell value is", "Less than or equal to", =Today()-7
format this with Yellow fill

Condition 2 "Cell value is", "Between", =Today()-5,"and",=Today()-6
format this with Red fill and Bold font

Condition 3 "Cell value is", "Between", =Today()-3,"and",=Today()-4
format this with Orange fill

In order to get a Message you could use the following formula in th
adjacent cell. i.e. if the above conditional formatting applies to cel
B1 then in C1 type the formula

=If(Today()-B1>=7,"PROMPT MESSAGE","")

To make this stand out you could then use Conditional formatting wit
the following condition

Condition 1 "Cell value is", "not equal to", ="" and then format th
cell to become Yellow fill.

Hope this helps

Mik

Some thoughts on applying the desired conditional formatting (CF):

Assume �Received Date� is in col A, with data in A2 downwards

Select row2

Click Format > Conditional Formatting

Put the settings "Under Condition 1" as :
Formula Is | =AND(TODAY()-$A2>3,TODAY()-$A2<=5)
Click Format button > Font tab > Color > Orange > OK

Click Add >>

Put the settings "Under Condition 2" as :
Formula Is | =AND(TODAY()-$A2>5,TODAY()-$A2<=7)
Click Format button > Font tab > Color > Red > Bold > OK

Click Add >>

Put the settings "Under Condition 3" as :
Formula Is | =TODAY()-$A2>7
Click Format button > Font tab > Color > Red > Bold
Click Pattern tab > Select yellow > OK

Click OK (at the CF dialog box)

Now test out the CF in row2
by inputting various dates in A2 ("Received date" col)
and with some sample data in say, B2, C2, D2, etc
(try input-dates which will test-trigger all 3 conditions)

If you�re happy with the tests,
proceed to copy the CF for row2 to other rows

Select row2 > double click on the Format Painter (yellow brush) icon
(cursor will turn into "a cross + brush")

Just select to "paint over� any other rows etc using the mouse

When done / to cancel, press Escape to revert cursor to normal

--
hth
Max

Use xdemechanik <at>yahoo<dot>com for email
"Camille P" <bogusjunk@valid.com> wrote in message
> I'm not understanding conditional formatting re dates.
>
> I have an Excel sheet which has a "Received Date" column. After three days
> from the date entered in the "received date" column, I would like the text
> for the text for the row to turn orange, after five days I would like the
> text for the row to turn red +bold. After 7 days I would like for the rows
> in red +bold to show turn  yellow and a message box, on document start-up,
> to show the user that these rows have overdue tasks that need attention
> *now* (basically an irritating nag box)
>
> My first concern is to get the conditional formatting changes working -
from
> what I've been able to ascertain from online searching has turned up
nothing
> I've been able to work which leads me to believe I'm not really
> understanding what is happening. I'd really appreciate some assistance.
>
> Please let me know if you need more information from me.
>
> Regards
> Camille
>
> p.s. I'm working with Win/Office 2000.

0
demechanik (4694)
12/5/2003 2:42:19 PM
Just some fine tweaks to the 3 CF formulae earlier...
(so that those rows yet unused but with the CF applied,
ie those with blank cells under the "Received date" column
will not be "prematurely" applied with the yellow background color)

Replace earlier formulae with:

Condition 1
=AND(NOT(ISBLANK($A2)),TODAY()-$A2>3,TODAY()-$A2<=5)

Condition 2
=AND(NOT(ISBLANK($A2)),TODAY()-$A2>5,TODAY()-$A2<=7)

Condition 3
=AND(NOT(ISBLANK($A2)),TODAY()-$A2>7)

--
hth
Max
Please reply in thread

Use xdemechanik <at>yahoo<dot>com for email

demechanik (4694)
12/5/2003 3:03:36 PM
<snip>

Looking at it with a fresh head this morning I can understand the formula
more clearly. I was hitting my head against the wall because I understood
the If then ElseIf working of the conditions, but I was not specifying
greater than/less than values in each condition. Argh! So simple when you
know!

Thank you both! :-)

Regards
Camille

0
bogusjunk (4)
12/6/2003 12:07:22 AM
Camille, you're welcome!
Glad to hear you got the essence of it.

cheers

> <snip>
>
> Looking at it with a fresh head this morning I can understand the formula
> more clearly. I was hitting my head against the wall because I understood
> the If then ElseIf working of the conditions, but I was not specifying
> greater than/less than values in each condition. Argh! So simple when you
> know!
>
> Thank you both! :-)
>
> Regards
> Camille

0
demechanik (4694)

Today Conditional Format

Two Condition Vlookup?

Can't format numbers for France in Excel 2003
I'm using the US version of Excel 2003, but need to format costs, etc., for a project in the French euro format (e.g., I need 2050.45 euros to display as 2 050,45). That currency format isn't offered in my dialog box, and if I make a custom number format that will display correctly, it doesn't operate as a number. Any suggestions? On Wed, 10 Oct 2007 08:51:03 -0700, Mary Fran <MaryFran@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >I'm using the US version of Excel 2003, but need to format costs, etc., for a >project in the French euro format (e.g., I need 2050.45 euros...

if statement with dates
I would like to hae a statement like: IF(A1>0,1/1/2004) interpreting 1/1/2004 as a date. EXCEL is doing the arithmetic and giving me the result of the division. I could figure the numeric date and do something like: IF (A1>0,37987) but that seems rather awkward. What else can I do. TIA Sanford Hi =IF(A1>DATE(2004,1,1),.... -- Regards Frank Kabel Frankfurt, Germany "Sanford Lefkowitz" <Sanford Lefkowitz@discussions.microsoft.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag news:AA55C47A-5BF1-45A5-A6FB-D12E818AE4A9@microsoft.com... > I would like to hae a statement like: > IF(...

Query condition by date range

how to convert date

Odd date problem
I'm reposting this as this is a very strange problem in Access. I'm using 2003. After my entry is an entry by missinglinq via AccessMonster.com who was able to reproduce the error. Looking forward to comments/fixes. Thanks, Rob I have the following in the DblClick event for the control CaseStart which is a date/time field. The problem is that once the control is double clicked the form remains in edit mode, even though I've told it not be editable. Additionally, when the control is double clicked, it shoudn't enter in the time until the Edit button has been clicked o...

Format cells #7

Formatting worksheet
I have a workbook with three worksheets and one chartsheet in it. I have notes documenting various aspects of the four sheets. Some of those notes are on electronic post-it notes and others on scraps of paper. It seems to me that a convenient way to consolidate all of my documentation for the workbook would be to add another worksheet to it and put the information in it. What would be the best way to format the worksheet so that I could type information into it as if I were using a text editor? Leslie, Excel isn't really all that set up for text. I sometimes make narrow column...

Conditional Field in Queries

How do a count dates?
In a specific cell, I am wanting to count a series of dates with each date less than NOW() to be worth +1 and each date equal to or more than NOW() to be worth 0. Thank you, Aviator =COUNTIF(Range,"<"&TODAY()) replace TODAY with NOW if you want to compare time as well as dates Regards, Peo Sjoblom "Aviator" wrote: > In a specific cell, I am wanting to count a series of dates with each date > less than NOW() to be worth +1 and each date equal to or more than NOW() to > be worth 0. > > Thank you, > > Aviator Hi =COUNTIF(A1:A100,&q...

Wrong "Today's Date"
I have Money 2003 and it is showing the incorrect date as the "Today's Date". It is exactly 1 month ahead, as today it is saying that it is September 7, 2003. This is causing most of my bills to show as overdue, even though they aren't due until the end of August. I don't know why it changed, but all I care about is fixing it. Can someone help? >-----Original Message----- >I have Money 2003 and it is showing the incorrect date as >the "Today's Date". It is exactly 1 month ahead, as today >it is saying that it is September 7, 2003....

zip codes not being saved as text in CSV format
I need my file to be saved in CSV format (to import into another application). When I format the zip codes as Text or Special(zip code), they are correct in XLS format, but when I open the file in CSV format they switch back to general. Any solution? work around? Thanks so much for your help in advance!! Melissa Change the file extension to .txt and use the text import wizard to treat the column as text (last dialog) -- Regards, Tom Ogilvy "MelissaM" <MelissaM@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:B5A02627-810E-4234-8247-267D9B12FA29@microsoft.com... >...

format a column
I have a simple question to ask, I have a column in Excel is number like 142000, I want to format the whole column numbers without the two ending 0s, change 142000 to 1420, how can I do that? Thanks -- xcao ------------------------------------------------------------------------ xcao's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=14538 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=471821 Enter 100 in an empty cell and copy it. Then, select your range of numbers you want to change, Right Click and go to Paste Special, and select Div...

How to return a 12 hour time format without the AM in an Access query
The format function acts differently in a query and after hours of testing, messing, and cursing, I give up. How do you return 12 hour format without the AM or PM from an Access query. In my table, I've defined the Start Time and End Time to use "Medium Time" format and it works if and ONLY if you simple include the field in the query. However, if you use the field in a more complex statement, it returns leading zeros and trailing seconds. Here's what I've tried.... 'This didn't work because it returns trailing seconds and AM/PM. '2:00:00 PM...

Conditional null value

Help
Forgive me if "Conditional Sums" is not the accurate word for what I am trying to accomplish... I'm at a loss for what to call this situation. What I have is a spreadsheet totaling attendance figures for classes taught by two people (Dave and Cary). Column A lists their name, and next to it in Column B is the number of people who attended that class. What I need is a formula that will look at the sheet and report in a given cell the total for attendance for each person. I can work basic formulas like SUM, but that will give the total for the entire column, when what I n...

Localization Agentina
In the payments entry, the deferred check's due date can't be grather than 365 days after emition date. ---------------- This post is a suggestion for Microsoft, and Microsoft responds to the suggestions with the most votes. To vote for this suggestion, click the "I Agree" button in the message pane. If you do not see the button, follow this link to open the suggestion in the Microsoft Web-based Newsreader and then click "I Agree" in the message pane. http://www.microsoft.com/Businesssolutions/Community/NewsGroups/dgbrowser/en-us/default.mspx?mid=6018f7d4-cc2...

Formatting Imported Data
Hi, I want to be able to read in a single column of data from either an Excel file or from a column of a word document and then produce the same column of data so that each entry has two cells separating them. So that the column 1 2 3 would look like 1 empty cell empty cell 2 empty cell empty cell 3 I there a straightforward way I can do this in Excel w/o having to use some type of additional program (like VBA)? TIA, Matt Nothing straightforward that I can see. Without some manual arranging which would be onerous, you will be better off to use a VBA macro. Sub InsertRows22() Appli...

Using dates with linegraphs
I need to have a linegraph where the X axis has the dates of, say, Oct 1, Oct2, Oct 3 AND Oct 7, Oct 8, Oct 9. My issue is that whenever I try to set the graph up, Excel adds the dates of Oct 4-6 which I do not want. How can I fix this? I have Win XP (SP2) and Office 2003. Thanks. Go to Chart menu > Chart Options > Axis tab. Change the option under Category (X) Axis to Category. If Excel recognizes dates in the X values, it uses a date-scale axis by default (Automatic). - Jon ------- Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP Tutorials and Custom Solutions Peltier Technical Services,...

XML Receipt and Conditions
I wanted to make a small adjustment to the receipt when a certain condition is met. If a particular word (eg. family) is typed into the comment on an item I wanted something slightly different to happen to the receipt I've just about got it, just stuck on the condition tag <IF> <CONDITION>len(Entry.Comment)</CONDITION> <THEN> I can get it using len but this makes it happen for any word, is there anyway I can make it so that it is more specific ie Entry.Comment contains '%family%' try <IF> <CONDITION>Entry.Comment like '%family%'&...