Conditional Formatting problem #4

I would like a cell to have a background color of yellow if it is empty (ie:
neeeds data input). Once it has data, the background turns off. I used two
conditions in the conditional format command and it doesn't appear to be
working. I used

(cell value) (is equal to) then typed in 2 double quotes with no space in
between for the condition "yellow"

then, condition 2

(cell value) (is not equal to) then typed in the same as above for the
condition "no fill"

I thought it seemd simple enough and it appeared to work at first but then
stopped working.

How do you guys put up with us newbies?   ; )
--

StompS
Portland, OR

0
stomps (55)
1/17/2006 9:17:54 PM
excel 39879 articles. 2 followers. Follow

Format the cell the way you like and you can use just one conditional formatting
rule.

Select the cell
format|Conditional formatting
cell value is  Equal to  =""

and format it nicely.

StompS wrote:

> I would like a cell to have a background color of yellow if it is empty (ie:
> neeeds data input). Once it has data, the background turns off. I used two
> conditions in the conditional format command and it doesn't appear to be
> working. I used
>
> (cell value) (is equal to) then typed in 2 double quotes with no space in
> between for the condition "yellow"
>
> then, condition 2
>
> (cell value) (is not equal to) then typed in the same as above for the
> condition "no fill"
>
> I thought it seemd simple enough and it appeared to work at first but then
> stopped working.
>
> How do you guys put up with us newbies?   ; )
> --
>
> StompS
> Portland, OR
> http://www.geocities.com/pdxinvestr/Stomps.html

--

Dave Peterson
0

combine 4 file into one
I have one excel file. This file consists of Item Number, Description, Quantity, Unit Cost and Extended Value. I send this file to 4 users in various locations so they can open in the MS Excel. The users will count how many quantity they have for each Item number. The user then saves and sends the file back to me. My question is how do I combine four files from 4 users back into one file with the quantity update and other fields remain unchanged. For instant, User A count 4 for the item 12345, User B count 2 for the item 12345, User C count 1 and User D count 0. How do I combine 4 files f...

Today Conditional Format

trying to split a stock 1:4
When I were trying to split a stock using Money2000, Money2000 ended up telling me: "The stock split can not be completed due to a lack of disk space." But I still have 18G left on my hard disk. In microsoft.public.money, Wei wrote: >When I were trying to split a stock using Money2000, >Money2000 ended up telling me: "The stock split can not >be completed due to a lack of disk space." But I still >have 18G left on my hard disk. I would try booting into Safe Mode and see if you can do the split. I don't expect it to solve the problem, but it is ea...

Two Condition Vlookup?

Can't format numbers for France in Excel 2003
I'm using the US version of Excel 2003, but need to format costs, etc., for a project in the French euro format (e.g., I need 2050.45 euros to display as 2 050,45). That currency format isn't offered in my dialog box, and if I make a custom number format that will display correctly, it doesn't operate as a number. Any suggestions? On Wed, 10 Oct 2007 08:51:03 -0700, Mary Fran <MaryFran@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >I'm using the US version of Excel 2003, but need to format costs, etc., for a >project in the French euro format (e.g., I need 2050.45 euros...

Query condition by date range

Sending XML data to asp server... Is there any problem?
Hi, I transform client XML data to IIS server by WinInet API. In IIS server, asp parse request XML data and result save in MS-SQL. I can read XML data by this function, but I can send XML data... The function that I use is that... BOOL CXMLUtil::RequestHttpServer(LPCTSTR lpszMethod, LPCTSTR lpszURL, LPCTSTR lpszRequest, LPCTSTR lpszHeader, CString &strResponse, CString &strStatus) { BOOL fResult = TRUE; CInternetSession iSession; CHttpConnection *pHttpConnection = NULL; CHttpFile *pHttpFile = NULL; CString str_ErrorText; DWORD dwErrorCode = 0; CString strUrl = lpszURL; ...

Format cells #7

Odd date problem
I'm reposting this as this is a very strange problem in Access. I'm using 2003. After my entry is an entry by missinglinq via AccessMonster.com who was able to reproduce the error. Looking forward to comments/fixes. Thanks, Rob I have the following in the DblClick event for the control CaseStart which is a date/time field. The problem is that once the control is double clicked the form remains in edit mode, even though I've told it not be editable. Additionally, when the control is double clicked, it shoudn't enter in the time until the Edit button has been clicked o...

problems with Plus
When I fired up Plus, it appeared to convert my file (from 2005) just fine. After I did an online sync, however, the machine set at 100% cpu consumption and the status in the upper right was "Updating your accounts...". It never quits. I've tried: 1) repairing my file prior to doing first online update, as well as killing msmoney.exe and doing a repair afterward. no dice. 2) canceling online services and establishing them again. no dice. After multiple attempts, starting with my 2005 file on multiple occasions, I've finally given up and gone back to 2005. Any sugg...

Problem after CRM reinstall on same server
My CRM server is running on the same server as exchange and SQL server is on another server. Everuthing was running OK until... To solve a problem with Crystal report service not starting, I tried to uninstall CRM and reinstall it on the same server, giving instruction to use the existing database. The installation was a success...but now: 1) Impossible to display Users Details, Email Template: server error being that there is no root in the XSL 2) Outlook clients behave very cahotic: errors on each entity What could be the origin of this error, is there any way to correct it. Thanks for...

Formatting worksheet
I have a workbook with three worksheets and one chartsheet in it. I have notes documenting various aspects of the four sheets. Some of those notes are on electronic post-it notes and others on scraps of paper. It seems to me that a convenient way to consolidate all of my documentation for the workbook would be to add another worksheet to it and put the information in it. What would be the best way to format the worksheet so that I could type information into it as if I were using a text editor? Leslie, Excel isn't really all that set up for text. I sometimes make narrow column...

Conditional Field in Queries

zip codes not being saved as text in CSV format
I need my file to be saved in CSV format (to import into another application). When I format the zip codes as Text or Special(zip code), they are correct in XLS format, but when I open the file in CSV format they switch back to general. Any solution? work around? Thanks so much for your help in advance!! Melissa Change the file extension to .txt and use the text import wizard to treat the column as text (last dialog) -- Regards, Tom Ogilvy "MelissaM" <MelissaM@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:B5A02627-810E-4234-8247-267D9B12FA29@microsoft.com... >...

format a column
I have a simple question to ask, I have a column in Excel is number like 142000, I want to format the whole column numbers without the two ending 0s, change 142000 to 1420, how can I do that? Thanks -- xcao ------------------------------------------------------------------------ xcao's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=14538 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=471821 Enter 100 in an empty cell and copy it. Then, select your range of numbers you want to change, Right Click and go to Paste Special, and select Div...

How to return a 12 hour time format without the AM in an Access query
The format function acts differently in a query and after hours of testing, messing, and cursing, I give up. How do you return 12 hour format without the AM or PM from an Access query. In my table, I've defined the Start Time and End Time to use "Medium Time" format and it works if and ONLY if you simple include the field in the query. However, if you use the field in a more complex statement, it returns leading zeros and trailing seconds. Here's what I've tried.... 'This didn't work because it returns trailing seconds and AM/PM. '2:00:00 PM...

stat analysis problem
et al, Here is the problem I'm having. I have a column of data (say column 'b') that has numbers in it. both in the format of '5' '98' '444' etc. What I'm trying to do is come up w/ a formula that will tell me the number of occurrences in that column of any number. i.e.. say 5. when I would do count on the above I get an answer of 3 ( =count(cell1:cell2,5). Or even in the formula when I put the 5 in as '5'. Is there a way to do this in excel? TIA. -JD The COUNT function counts the number of cells with containing a number...any number...

Conditional null value

Help
Forgive me if "Conditional Sums" is not the accurate word for what I am trying to accomplish... I'm at a loss for what to call this situation. What I have is a spreadsheet totaling attendance figures for classes taught by two people (Dave and Cary). Column A lists their name, and next to it in Column B is the number of people who attended that class. What I need is a formula that will look at the sheet and report in a given cell the total for attendance for each person. I can work basic formulas like SUM, but that will give the total for the entire column, when what I n...

Database Recovery Tool + specifc problem
Please point me to a "simple" document or reference for using the Exchange 2003 Database recovery tool. I have looked at the Microsoft document which is available, and it is not practical in my limited experience for my purpose. I also have a specific problem I am struggling with. I have a problem where my log files and database references are out of sync. I have tried all the ese and Integrity tools, but nothing here is helpful, apart form telling me my mail store files are not corrupt . As far a I can ascertain my database is actually fine, and "Clean" but because of ...

Property Sheet Problem
I have a property sheet with three pages. It is old, been around for many years. Out of the clear blue sky the second page's OnInitDialog does not get called when the tab is pressed and the tab disappears. The first and third tab continue to work properly. All I did was add a checkbox and bound a bool variable to it. Simple wizard stuff. I've traced and checked and some google, but I'm still baffled. Has anyone seen anything like this? Note, I had upgraded my app to VC 9.0 from 7.1 just a month ago. But there was no problem with this tab until tonight that...