Conditional formatting: If text or If date?

I have a spreadsheet that tracks reports.  In a far right-hand column,
I have a cell for when a re-write is submitted.  I put an "X" in the
cell when a re-write is needed, and the date submitted when it's
turned in.

I'd like to put some conditional formatting on the report number cell
so it becomes one color if there's an "X" in the re-write cell, and
another color if there's a date in the re-write cell.  Is this
possible?

Ed

0
prof_ofwhat (194)
8/7/2007 4:00:57 PM
excel 39879 articles. 2 followers. Follow

Select report number cell
Menu Format>Conditional Formatting
Change Condition 1 to Formula Is
Add a formula of =M1="X"
Click the Format button
Select the Pattern Tab
Select an appropriate highlighting colour
OK
OK

Second condition

Click Add
Change Condition 2 to Formula Is
Add a formula of =ISDATE(N1)
Click the Format button
Select the Pattern Tab
Select an appropriate highlighting colour
OK
OK

Change M1 and N1 to suuit

--
HTH

Bob

"Ed from AZ" <prof_ofwhat@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>I have a spreadsheet that tracks reports.  In a far right-hand column,
> I have a cell for when a re-write is submitted.  I put an "X" in the
> cell when a re-write is needed, and the date submitted when it's
> turned in.
>
> I'd like to put some conditional formatting on the report number cell
> so it becomes one color if there's an "X" in the re-write cell, and
> another color if there's a date in the re-write cell.  Is this
> possible?
>
> Ed

0
bob.NGs1 (1661)
8/7/2007 4:43:11 PM
Bob:

I'm in XL2003.  I don't seem to have an ISDATE function???  I have the
Analysis toolpack loaded.

Ed

On Aug 7, 9:43 am, "Bob Phillips" <bob....@somewhere.com> wrote:
> Select report number cell
> Menu Format>Conditional Formatting
> Change Condition 1 to Formula Is
> Add a formula of =M1="X"
> Click the Format button
> Select the Pattern Tab
> Select an appropriate highlighting colour
> OK
> OK
>
> Second condition
>
> Click Add
> Change Condition 2 to Formula Is
> Add a formula of =ISDATE(N1)
> Click the Format button
> Select the Pattern Tab
> Select an appropriate highlighting colour
> OK
> OK
>
> Change M1 and N1 to suuit
>
> --
> HTH
>
> Bob
>
> (there's no email, no snail mail, but somewhere should be gmail in my addy)
>
> "Ed from AZ" <prof_ofw...@yahoo.com> wrote in messagenews:1186502457.892233.136190@e16g2000pri.googlegroups.com...
>

> >I have a spreadsheet that tracks reports.  In a far right-hand column,
> > I have a cell for when a re-write is submitted.  I put an "X" in the
> > cell when a re-write is needed, and the date submitted when it's
> > turned in.
>
> > I'd like to put some conditional formatting on the report number cell
> > so it becomes one color if there's an "X" in the re-write cell, and
> > another color if there's a date in the re-write cell.  Is this
> > possible?
>
> > Ed- Hide quoted text -

prof_ofwhat (194)
8/8/2007 4:06:53 PM
Nor do I <g>

I should have said

Add a formula of =IsADate(N1)

and included that function

Function IsADate(inDate)
    IsADate = IsDate(inDate)
End Function

--

> Bob:
>
> I'm in XL2003.  I don't seem to have an ISDATE function???  I have the
> Analysis toolpack loaded.
>
> Ed
>
> On Aug 7, 9:43 am, "Bob Phillips" <bob....@somewhere.com> wrote:
>> Select report number cell
>> Menu Format>Conditional Formatting
>> Change Condition 1 to Formula Is
>> Add a formula of =M1="X"
>> Click the Format button
>> Select the Pattern Tab
>> Select an appropriate highlighting colour
>> OK
>> OK
>>
>> Second condition
>>
>> Click Add
>> Change Condition 2 to Formula Is
>> Add a formula of =ISDATE(N1)
>> Click the Format button
>> Select the Pattern Tab
>> Select an appropriate highlighting colour
>> OK
>> OK
>>
>> Change M1 and N1 to suuit
>>
>> --
>> HTH
>>
>> Bob
>>
>> (there's no email, no snail mail, but somewhere should be gmail in my
>> addy)
>>
>> "Ed from AZ" <prof_ofw...@yahoo.com> wrote in
>> messagenews:1186502457.892233.136190@e16g2000pri.googlegroups.com...
>>

>> >I have a spreadsheet that tracks reports.  In a far right-hand column,
>> > I have a cell for when a re-write is submitted.  I put an "X" in the
>> > cell when a re-write is needed, and the date submitted when it's
>> > turned in.
>>
>> > I'd like to put some conditional formatting on the report number cell
>> > so it becomes one color if there's an "X" in the re-write cell, and
>> > another color if there's a date in the re-write cell.  Is this
>> > possible?
>>
>> > Ed- Hide quoted text -

bob.NGs1 (1661)
8/8/2007 4:18:11 PM
There is no such thing

since dates are numbers you can use

=ISNUMBER(N1)

--
Regards,

Peo Sjoblom

"Ed from AZ" <prof_ofwhat@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> Bob:
>
> I'm in XL2003.  I don't seem to have an ISDATE function???  I have the
> Analysis toolpack loaded.
>
> Ed
>
> On Aug 7, 9:43 am, "Bob Phillips" <bob....@somewhere.com> wrote:
>> Select report number cell
>> Menu Format>Conditional Formatting
>> Change Condition 1 to Formula Is
>> Add a formula of =M1="X"
>> Click the Format button
>> Select the Pattern Tab
>> Select an appropriate highlighting colour
>> OK
>> OK
>>
>> Second condition
>>
>> Click Add
>> Change Condition 2 to Formula Is
>> Add a formula of =ISDATE(N1)
>> Click the Format button
>> Select the Pattern Tab
>> Select an appropriate highlighting colour
>> OK
>> OK
>>
>> Change M1 and N1 to suuit
>>
>> --
>> HTH
>>
>> Bob
>>
>> (there's no email, no snail mail, but somewhere should be gmail in my
>> addy)
>>
>> "Ed from AZ" <prof_ofw...@yahoo.com> wrote in
>> messagenews:1186502457.892233.136190@e16g2000pri.googlegroups.com...
>>

>> >I have a spreadsheet that tracks reports.  In a far right-hand column,
>> > I have a cell for when a re-write is submitted.  I put an "X" in the
>> > cell when a re-write is needed, and the date submitted when it's
>> > turned in.
>>
>> > I'd like to put some conditional formatting on the report number cell
>> > so it becomes one color if there's an "X" in the re-write cell, and
>> > another color if there's a date in the re-write cell.  Is this
>> > possible?
>>
>> > Ed- Hide quoted text -

terre081 (3244)
8/8/2007 4:18:22 PM
I bet Bob created his own user defined function called =isdate().

But you may be able to use this formula instead:

=AND(ISNUMBER(n1),LEFT(CELL("format",n1),1)="D")

Ed from AZ wrote:

> Bob:
>
> I'm in XL2003.  I don't seem to have an ISDATE function???  I have the
> Analysis toolpack loaded.
>
> Ed
>
> On Aug 7, 9:43 am, "Bob Phillips" <bob....@somewhere.com> wrote:
> > Select report number cell
> > Menu Format>Conditional Formatting
> > Change Condition 1 to Formula Is
> > Add a formula of =M1="X"
> > Click the Format button
> > Select the Pattern Tab
> > Select an appropriate highlighting colour
> > OK
> > OK
> >
> > Second condition
> >
> > Click Add
> > Change Condition 2 to Formula Is
> > Add a formula of =ISDATE(N1)
> > Click the Format button
> > Select the Pattern Tab
> > Select an appropriate highlighting colour
> > OK
> > OK
> >
> > Change M1 and N1 to suuit
> >
> > --
> > HTH
> >
> > Bob
> >
> > (there's no email, no snail mail, but somewhere should be gmail in my addy)
> >
> > "Ed from AZ" <prof_ofw...@yahoo.com> wrote in messagenews:1186502457.892233.136190@e16g2000pri.googlegroups.com...
> >

> > >I have a spreadsheet that tracks reports.  In a far right-hand column,
> > > I have a cell for when a re-write is submitted.  I put an "X" in the
> > > cell when a re-write is needed, and the date submitted when it's
> > > turned in.
> >
> > > I'd like to put some conditional formatting on the report number cell
> > > so it becomes one color if there's an "X" in the re-write cell, and
> > > another color if there's a date in the re-write cell.  Is this
> > > possible?
> >
> > > Ed- Hide quoted text -

Dave Peterson
0
petersod (12004)
8/8/2007 4:19:12 PM
Thanks for all the input.  Between all of this, I have managed to get
up and running.

Appreciate the boost.
Ed

On Aug 8, 9:19 am, Dave Peterson <peter...@verizonXSPAM.net> wrote:
> I bet Bob created his own user defined function called =isdate().
>
> But you may be able to use this formula instead:
>
> =AND(ISNUMBER(n1),LEFT(CELL("format",n1),1)="D")
>

> Ed from AZ wrote:
>
> > Bob:
>
> > I'm in XL2003.  I don't seem to have an ISDATE function???  I have the
> > Analysis toolpack loaded.
>
> > Ed
>
> > On Aug 7, 9:43 am, "Bob Phillips" <bob....@somewhere.com> wrote:
> > > Select report number cell
> > > Menu Format>Conditional Formatting
> > > Change Condition 1 to Formula Is
> > > Add a formula of =M1="X"
> > > Click the Format button
> > > Select the Pattern Tab
> > > Select an appropriate highlighting colour
> > > OK
> > > OK
>
> > > Second condition
>
> > > Click Add
> > > Change Condition 2 to Formula Is
> > > Add a formula of =ISDATE(N1)
> > > Click the Format button
> > > Select the Pattern Tab
> > > Select an appropriate highlighting colour
> > > OK
> > > OK
>
> > > Change M1 and N1 to suuit
>
> > > --
> > > HTH
>
> > > Bob
>
> > > (there's no email, no snail mail, but somewhere should be gmail in my addy)

> Dave Peterson- Hide quoted text -

prof_ofwhat (194)

>I bet Bob created his own user defined function called =isdate().
>
> But you may be able to use this formula instead:
>
> =AND(ISNUMBER(n1),LEFT(CELL("format",n1),1)="D")

That's quite clever.

0
bob.NGs1 (1661)

Today Conditional Format

how do i delete connected text boxes?
i need to delete a sperate section in a text box on Publisher. it's in the vintage newsletter and the Inside this issue section Unlink the text boxes, the text will stay in text box one. You will have to delete the text by elongating the first text box. -- Mary Sauer http://msauer.mvps.org/ "drjones168" <drjones168@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:2949781C-9685-4614-B7C3-2418E76C02D0@microsoft.com... > i need to delete a sperate section in a text box on Publisher. it's in the > vintage newsletter and the Inside this issue secti...

Change case of text
I have Word 2007. In earlier versions of Word under the Format tab there was a change case option that made it easy to change selected text to all upper, lower, etc. I cannot fund this function in Word 2007. Where is it? -- Thanks for your help - jjk98 Home tab, Font Group, Change Case "Aa" icon. Also, does Shft+F3 toggle the text, from no caps - initial caps - all caps? Hope this helps DeanH "jjk98" wrote: > I have Word 2007. In earlier versions of Word under the Format tab there was > a change case option that made it easy to change selected...

if statement with dates
I would like to hae a statement like: IF(A1>0,1/1/2004) interpreting 1/1/2004 as a date. EXCEL is doing the arithmetic and giving me the result of the division. I could figure the numeric date and do something like: IF (A1>0,37987) but that seems rather awkward. What else can I do. TIA Sanford Hi =IF(A1>DATE(2004,1,1),.... -- Regards Frank Kabel Frankfurt, Germany "Sanford Lefkowitz" <Sanford Lefkowitz@discussions.microsoft.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag news:AA55C47A-5BF1-45A5-A6FB-D12E818AE4A9@microsoft.com... > I would like to hae a statement like: > IF(...

Two Condition Vlookup?

Can't format numbers for France in Excel 2003
I'm using the US version of Excel 2003, but need to format costs, etc., for a project in the French euro format (e.g., I need 2050.45 euros to display as 2 050,45). That currency format isn't offered in my dialog box, and if I make a custom number format that will display correctly, it doesn't operate as a number. Any suggestions? On Wed, 10 Oct 2007 08:51:03 -0700, Mary Fran <MaryFran@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >I'm using the US version of Excel 2003, but need to format costs, etc., for a >project in the French euro format (e.g., I need 2050.45 euros...

Query condition by date range

Inserting a text Watermark automatically moves all text down one l
In Word 2003, when I try and insert a text watermark from the Format/Background menu, on pages with .3 or less margins, there is a flicker and all the text automatically moves down one line. Clicking Undo (or the blue back arrow) removes the watermark, but DOES NOT move the text back up. I need the .3 margins and a ‘CONFIDENTIAL’ text watermark for this particular document. I tried changing the ‘Auto’ size option, with no difference. Is this an unnoticed and unfixable glitch in Word 2003? How can I insert the watermark without the text being moved down? Also, what size text...

Odd date problem
I'm reposting this as this is a very strange problem in Access. I'm using 2003. After my entry is an entry by missinglinq via AccessMonster.com who was able to reproduce the error. Looking forward to comments/fixes. Thanks, Rob I have the following in the DblClick event for the control CaseStart which is a date/time field. The problem is that once the control is double clicked the form remains in edit mode, even though I've told it not be editable. Additionally, when the control is double clicked, it shoudn't enter in the time until the Edit button has been clicked o...

Format cells #7

Excel cell value equals selected text from Word
Is it possible to bookmark or link a piece of text in Microsoft Word eg. a title in the word document is 'West Belfast Profile' In Excel, I would like to make a cell value equal to the text from Word. Basically cell A5 in excel equals 'West' from the title 'West Belfast Profile' in Word. If the user changes the title in Word to 'East Belfast Profile', the cell value in Excel changes to 'East'. Is this possible? You go to Word document and copy the text you want to link to Excel, select the cell you want to paste to Excel file, right-click ...

Formatting worksheet
I have a workbook with three worksheets and one chartsheet in it. I have notes documenting various aspects of the four sheets. Some of those notes are on electronic post-it notes and others on scraps of paper. It seems to me that a convenient way to consolidate all of my documentation for the workbook would be to add another worksheet to it and put the information in it. What would be the best way to format the worksheet so that I could type information into it as if I were using a text editor? Leslie, Excel isn't really all that set up for text. I sometimes make narrow column...

missing text
For some reason when I go to the query or report that was run some text disappears. I have verified that the text is complete in both the table and the form. What can I do to have all the text show up in my queries and reports? On Wed, 27 Jan 2010 14:02:01 -0800, access novice <access novice@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >For some reason when I go to the query or report that was run some text >disappears. I have verified that the text is complete in both the table and >the form. What can I do to have all the text show up in my queries and >reports? ...

How do a count dates?
In a specific cell, I am wanting to count a series of dates with each date less than NOW() to be worth +1 and each date equal to or more than NOW() to be worth 0. Thank you, Aviator =COUNTIF(Range,"<"&TODAY()) replace TODAY with NOW if you want to compare time as well as dates Regards, Peo Sjoblom "Aviator" wrote: > In a specific cell, I am wanting to count a series of dates with each date > less than NOW() to be worth +1 and each date equal to or more than NOW() to > be worth 0. > > Thank you, > > Aviator Hi =COUNTIF(A1:A100,&q...

Conditional Field in Queries

Wrong "Today's Date"
I have Money 2003 and it is showing the incorrect date as the "Today's Date". It is exactly 1 month ahead, as today it is saying that it is September 7, 2003. This is causing most of my bills to show as overdue, even though they aren't due until the end of August. I don't know why it changed, but all I care about is fixing it. Can someone help? >-----Original Message----- >I have Money 2003 and it is showing the incorrect date as >the "Today's Date". It is exactly 1 month ahead, as today >it is saying that it is September 7, 2003....

zip codes not being saved as text in CSV format
I need my file to be saved in CSV format (to import into another application). When I format the zip codes as Text or Special(zip code), they are correct in XLS format, but when I open the file in CSV format they switch back to general. Any solution? work around? Thanks so much for your help in advance!! Melissa Change the file extension to .txt and use the text import wizard to treat the column as text (last dialog) -- Regards, Tom Ogilvy "MelissaM" <MelissaM@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:B5A02627-810E-4234-8247-267D9B12FA29@microsoft.com... >...

What is the box character in a text field and how do I replace it?
I have a text\memo filed that has a box charter(s) in it. I do not remember if it is a carriage return or whatever. Whats is the character and how do I replace it? Thanks Dave On Tue, 27 Apr 2010 06:46:01 -0700, Dave <Dave@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >I have a text\memo filed that has a box charter(s) in it. I do not remember >if it is a carriage return or whatever. Whats is the character and how do I >replace it? > >Thanks > >Dave You'll need to find out what it is. My guess is that it's a linefeed Chr(10) - it wouldn...

format a column
I have a simple question to ask, I have a column in Excel is number like 142000, I want to format the whole column numbers without the two ending 0s, change 142000 to 1420, how can I do that? Thanks -- xcao ------------------------------------------------------------------------ xcao's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=14538 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=471821 Enter 100 in an empty cell and copy it. Then, select your range of numbers you want to change, Right Click and go to Paste Special, and select Div...

How to return a 12 hour time format without the AM in an Access query
The format function acts differently in a query and after hours of testing, messing, and cursing, I give up. How do you return 12 hour format without the AM or PM from an Access query. In my table, I've defined the Start Time and End Time to use "Medium Time" format and it works if and ONLY if you simple include the field in the query. However, if you use the field in a more complex statement, it returns leading zeros and trailing seconds. Here's what I've tried.... 'This didn't work because it returns trailing seconds and AM/PM. '2:00:00 PM...

Change "Text Numbers" to "Numbers"
Hello, Can you tell me how to (with a macro) change a range of cells that have text numbers to real numbers so I can use them in formulas and also have them show up as real numbers if I save the file as a .prn file. The range of cells begin in row 2 from column C through column AZ. I would really appreciate your help. I have spent days on this and I'm still lost. Thank You, Nichole Hi try the following: - set the format for these cells to a 'number' format' - select an empty cell and copy this cell - select your range of text numbers - goto 'Edit - Paste Special&#...