Conditional formating an entire row vs. only one cell

I have 400 rows of data.  There are four columns that contain any one of five
different key letters (R, NR, O, U, NA).  What I want to do is that everytime
a letter such as NR shows up in any of the four columns, the entire row has a
conditional format applied.  When I do "Cell Is", the conditional format is
only applied to the one cell that meets the condition even if I have the
entire row(s) highlighted when I create the conditional format.  I tried to
find similar posts to help but have not been successful.  Using Excel 2003.
0
shooter27 (4)
2/7/2009 8:13:01 PM
excel 39880 articles. 2 followers. Follow

Highlight all your data (assuming you have started in row 2 and that
A2 is the active cell of the selected range), then click on Format |
Conditional Formatting and choose Formula Is rather than Cell Value Is
in the first box. Put this formula in the formula box:

=3DCOUNTIF(2:2,"NR")>=3D1

then click on the Format button and set your format (eg Patterns tab,
choose red). Click OK twice to exit the dialogue boxes.

Hope this helps.

Pete

On Feb 7, 8:13=A0pm, shooter27 <shoote...@discussions.microsoft.com>
wrote:
> I have 400 rows of data. =A0There are four columns that contain any one o=
f five
> different key letters (R, NR, O, U, NA). =A0What I want to do is that eve=
rytime
> a letter such as NR shows up in any of the four columns, the entire row h=
as a
> conditional format applied. =A0When I do "Cell Is", the conditional forma=
t is
> only applied to the one cell that meets the condition even if I have the
> entire row(s) highlighted when I create the conditional format. =A0I trie=
d to
> find similar posts to help but have not been successful. =A0Using Excel 2=
003.

0
pashurst (2576)

Multiple detail areas in one report
We are creating a database which uses several forms to input data into a Master_Data table. There are several categories for the data ex: Full Service Driver, Trade Driver, Misc Receipts, Misc Payouts. I need a report that breaks these categories out in detail like so: Cashier Driver# Driver Name Full Service Checks Full Service Currency Full Service Coin Subtotal Cashier Driver# Driver Name Trade Checks Trade Currency Trade Coin ...

I want to print multi pages on one page.
I've tried going into set up and under page layout telling it to print 2 pages per sheet, but that doesn't work. Is there another way? If, by "multi-pages" you really mean multiple worksheets on one page that is not possible. You could add a 'summary' worksheet to combin your data and print that with the "fit to page" option checked on th Page Setup screen. Be careful with the 'fit to screen' as it can mak the printout unreadably small. Good Luck Bruc -- swatsp0 ----------------------------------------------------------------------- swatsp0p...

Today Conditional Format

combine 4 file into one
I have one excel file. This file consists of Item Number, Description, Quantity, Unit Cost and Extended Value. I send this file to 4 users in various locations so they can open in the MS Excel. The users will count how many quantity they have for each Item number. The user then saves and sends the file back to me. My question is how do I combine four files from 4 users back into one file with the quantity update and other fields remain unchanged. For instant, User A count 4 for the item 12345, User B count 2 for the item 12345, User C count 1 and User D count 0. How do I combine 4 files f...

Two Condition Vlookup?

Can't format numbers for France in Excel 2003
I'm using the US version of Excel 2003, but need to format costs, etc., for a project in the French euro format (e.g., I need 2050.45 euros to display as 2 050,45). That currency format isn't offered in my dialog box, and if I make a custom number format that will display correctly, it doesn't operate as a number. Any suggestions? On Wed, 10 Oct 2007 08:51:03 -0700, Mary Fran <MaryFran@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >I'm using the US version of Excel 2003, but need to format costs, etc., for a >project in the French euro format (e.g., I need 2050.45 euros...

Query condition by date range

Inserting a text Watermark automatically moves all text down one l
In Word 2003, when I try and insert a text watermark from the Format/Background menu, on pages with .3 or less margins, there is a flicker and all the text automatically moves down one line. Clicking Undo (or the blue back arrow) removes the watermark, but DOES NOT move the text back up. I need the .3 margins and a ‘CONFIDENTIAL’ text watermark for this particular document. I tried changing the ‘Auto’ size option, with no difference. Is this an unnoticed and unfixable glitch in Word 2003? How can I insert the watermark without the text being moved down? Also, what size text...

Inserting a cell in the header.
We are trying to get a cell in the header of a sheet. Can this be done? Example would be in our sheet in D9 is TFF. We want whatever is in D9 to go in the header. I'm not sure this makes sense. Thanks Wendy You could do this with a macro linked to the worksheet_change event. Insert the following code into the macro sheet for the sheet with the cell if interest. Private Sub Worksheet_Change(ByVal Target As Range) For Each Cell In Target If Cell.Address = "$D$9" Then ActiveSheet.PageSetup.CenterHeader = Cell.Value End If Next Cell End Sub -- mrice Research Scientist with ...

Format cells #7

Formatting worksheet
I have a workbook with three worksheets and one chartsheet in it. I have notes documenting various aspects of the four sheets. Some of those notes are on electronic post-it notes and others on scraps of paper. It seems to me that a convenient way to consolidate all of my documentation for the workbook would be to add another worksheet to it and put the information in it. What would be the best way to format the worksheet so that I could type information into it as if I were using a text editor? Leslie, Excel isn't really all that set up for text. I sometimes make narrow column...

More than 65 thousand rows
I have a 2 coloumn file with way more than the 65 thousand odd row limi of excel, is there any way of displaying the rest of the data? Rober ----------------------------------------------- ~~ Message posted from http://www.ExcelTip.com ~~View and post usenet messages directly from http://www.ExcelForum.com robert, 65536 rows is the maximum limit for an Excel worksheet. You can split your data into different sheets or use a database like Access. John robert_woodie wrote: > I have a 2 coloumn file with way more than the 65 thousand odd row limit > of excel, is there any way of dis...

Conditional Field in Queries

compare two files and merge rows base on a matching word within these two rows
I have two file with several colomns. I need to compare two Col B fileA Col B of FileB as shown in example. http://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?key=0AgUVfFOnkiaKdFBiNDFLamcybXdhWkR6bS05Qnluenc&hl=en Each col have about 1000 rows. Each row contains thousands of words and phrases separated by Comma. As you can see from example, my data has soo many words and phrases separated by comma in each row of two colomn A and B. ============== i Need to merge data of corresponding row from COLA$FileB TO corresponding row of COLA$FileB Also merge data of corresponding row from CO...

format a column
I have a simple question to ask, I have a column in Excel is number like 142000, I want to format the whole column numbers without the two ending 0s, change 142000 to 1420, how can I do that? Thanks -- xcao ------------------------------------------------------------------------ xcao's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=14538 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=471821 Enter 100 in an empty cell and copy it. Then, select your range of numbers you want to change, Right Click and go to Paste Special, and select Div...

Proc cache consumed with one-time queries
In investigating memory usage os our SQL Server 2005 SP3, I noticed that about 4.3GB of our 32GB phsyical memory was consumed by the procedure cache. In looking at what was in the cache, I found that the overwhelming majority of the stored plans were from queries that will never be reused. In fact 4.1GB of the 4.3GB were plans with usecounts=1. Most of these turn out to be statements generated by Sql Server itself: there are many that are statements generated by SqlAgent, running scheduled tasks. Many more are the backup statements generated for log shipping. In these cases, ...

zip codes not being saved as text in CSV format
I need my file to be saved in CSV format (to import into another application). When I format the zip codes as Text or Special(zip code), they are correct in XLS format, but when I open the file in CSV format they switch back to general. Any solution? work around? Thanks so much for your help in advance!! Melissa Change the file extension to .txt and use the text import wizard to treat the column as text (last dialog) -- Regards, Tom Ogilvy "MelissaM" <MelissaM@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:B5A02627-810E-4234-8247-267D9B12FA29@microsoft.com... >...

How to return a 12 hour time format without the AM in an Access query
The format function acts differently in a query and after hours of testing, messing, and cursing, I give up. How do you return 12 hour format without the AM or PM from an Access query. In my table, I've defined the Start Time and End Time to use "Medium Time" format and it works if and ONLY if you simple include the field in the query. However, if you use the field in a more complex statement, it returns leading zeros and trailing seconds. Here's what I've tried.... 'This didn't work because it returns trailing seconds and AM/PM. '2:00:00 PM...

Delete every row if the cells in first 12 columns are empty
Hi, I found some VBA code in this group which I have modified below. I have not been able to get this to work in Excel 2003. Option Explicit Sub DelEmptyRow() Dim ws As Worksheet, rw As Range, c1 As Range Set ws = ActiveSheet ' Cycle through first 2000 rows For Each rw In ws.Range("1:2000").Rows ' first cell in the row Set c1 = rw.Cells(1) ' test if first cell is empty, ' and so do the rest of cells in the row If c1.Formula = "" And c1.End(xlToRight).Column = 12 Then rw.Delete E...

Empty Rows and Columns
Is there a Macro (or how does one create one) that eliminates automatically empty rows and columns? Try ASAP Utilities, a free Excel Add-in available at www.asap-utilities.com Vaya con Dios, Chuck, CABGx3 "fak119" wrote: > Is there a Macro (or how does one create one) that eliminates automatically > empty rows and columns? ...

Conditional null value