Conditional Format top/mid/bottom 33% of cells, but ignoring blank cells

Hello,
I am trying to conditionally format the top middle and bottom thirds
of a range of data. Problem is, that the range needs to be flexible as
sometimes there may be a maximum of 36 cells with data, but sometimes
there may be less (so there are blank cells in the range that need not
be counted). The methods I have tried always include the blank cells,
and so it is not equally formatting the thirds (as it includes the
blanks cells as part of the bottom data)....hope Im making sense! Here
are the 2 methods Ive tried so far:(using excel 2003)

Top 34%:
=IF(INT(COUNT($D$3:$D$38)*34%)>0,LARGE($D$3:$D$38,INT(COUNT($D$3:$D
$38)*34%)),MAX( $D$3:$D$38))<=D3
Middle 33%
=IF(INT(COUNT($D$3:$D$38)*67%)>0,LARGE($D$3:$D$38,INT(COUNT($D$3:$D
$38)*67%)),MAX( $D$3:$D$38))<=D3
Rest of the data (bottom 33%)
=IF(INT(COUNT($D$3:$D$38)*100%)>0,LARGE($D$3:$D$38,INT(COUNT($D$3:$D
$38)*100%)),MAX( $D$3:$D$38))<=D3

and

Top 34%:
=D3<=PERCENTILE($D$3:$D$38,0.34)
Middle 33%
=D3<=PERCENTILE($D$3:$D$38,0.67)
Bottom 33%:
=D3<=PERCENTILE($D$3:$D$38,1)
0
fishyleg (1)
3/25/2012 8:54:13 AM
excel 39880 articles. 2 followers. Follow

Today Conditional Format

Two Condition Vlookup?

Can't format numbers for France in Excel 2003
I'm using the US version of Excel 2003, but need to format costs, etc., for a project in the French euro format (e.g., I need 2050.45 euros to display as 2 050,45). That currency format isn't offered in my dialog box, and if I make a custom number format that will display correctly, it doesn't operate as a number. Any suggestions? On Wed, 10 Oct 2007 08:51:03 -0700, Mary Fran <MaryFran@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >I'm using the US version of Excel 2003, but need to format costs, etc., for a >project in the French euro format (e.g., I need 2050.45 euros...

Query condition by date range

Inserting a cell in the header.
We are trying to get a cell in the header of a sheet. Can this be done? Example would be in our sheet in D9 is TFF. We want whatever is in D9 to go in the header. I'm not sure this makes sense. Thanks Wendy You could do this with a macro linked to the worksheet_change event. Insert the following code into the macro sheet for the sheet with the cell if interest. Private Sub Worksheet_Change(ByVal Target As Range) For Each Cell In Target If Cell.Address = "$D$9" Then ActiveSheet.PageSetup.CenterHeader = Cell.Value End If Next Cell End Sub -- mrice Research Scientist with ...

Format cells #7

How do you lock a cell with data but still allow new data entry?
I have a spreadsheet that will be accessed by multiple users. Each user will fill out a row of data, save and close the spreadsheet. We do not want users to edit rows after data is entered into a row of cells. Is there any way to lock this data to prevent it from being edited? Thanks Yes, but only with VBA and a Protected Worksheet. The code for this is available. Questions................. 1. You say users fill out a "row of data"...................how many columns would that row contain? e.g. A to F or ?? 2. Do users fill out all cells in that row's r...

Can multiple cell results be displayed in a single cell?
Is it possible to display the contents of multiple separate cells in another single cell? If the results of several cells say B1, B2, and B3 are the amounts $10, $15 and $20, I would like to display them in cell A1 as follows: $10 $15 $20 I could do this statically by using text and the 'Alt|Enter' function within the cell. However, these amounts will change from time to time so I'd like a link. Is this possible or not? Thanks for any help. Brett Brett One way: In A1: ="$"&B1&CHAR(10)&"$"&B2&CHAR(10)&"$"&B3&am...

Excel cell value equals selected text from Word
Is it possible to bookmark or link a piece of text in Microsoft Word eg. a title in the word document is 'West Belfast Profile' In Excel, I would like to make a cell value equal to the text from Word. Basically cell A5 in excel equals 'West' from the title 'West Belfast Profile' in Word. If the user changes the title in Word to 'East Belfast Profile', the cell value in Excel changes to 'East'. Is this possible? You go to Word document and copy the text you want to link to Excel, select the cell you want to paste to Excel file, right-click ...

Formatting worksheet
I have a workbook with three worksheets and one chartsheet in it. I have notes documenting various aspects of the four sheets. Some of those notes are on electronic post-it notes and others on scraps of paper. It seems to me that a convenient way to consolidate all of my documentation for the workbook would be to add another worksheet to it and put the information in it. What would be the best way to format the worksheet so that I could type information into it as if I were using a text editor? Leslie, Excel isn't really all that set up for text. I sometimes make narrow column...

Conditional Field in Queries

Combobox value populate cell selection
I am looking for button code to have a selected cell range merged and populated with value chosen from combobox. This value is centered in the merged cell selection. The cells range is defined manually with mouse. Bart Have a look at this event code which you can refine. No error-checking for data in the selected range...........assumes the mergerange is empty when selected. Runs when a value is selected from Combobox1 Private Sub ComboBox1_Change() Set srng = Application.InputBox(prompt:= _ "Select A Range", Type:=8) With srng .HorizontalAlignment = xlCen...

zip codes not being saved as text in CSV format
I need my file to be saved in CSV format (to import into another application). When I format the zip codes as Text or Special(zip code), they are correct in XLS format, but when I open the file in CSV format they switch back to general. Any solution? work around? Thanks so much for your help in advance!! Melissa Change the file extension to .txt and use the text import wizard to treat the column as text (last dialog) -- Regards, Tom Ogilvy "MelissaM" <MelissaM@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:B5A02627-810E-4234-8247-267D9B12FA29@microsoft.com... >...

format a column
I have a simple question to ask, I have a column in Excel is number like 142000, I want to format the whole column numbers without the two ending 0s, change 142000 to 1420, how can I do that? Thanks -- xcao ------------------------------------------------------------------------ xcao's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=14538 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=471821 Enter 100 in an empty cell and copy it. Then, select your range of numbers you want to change, Right Click and go to Paste Special, and select Div...

How to return a 12 hour time format without the AM in an Access query
The format function acts differently in a query and after hours of testing, messing, and cursing, I give up. How do you return 12 hour format without the AM or PM from an Access query. In my table, I've defined the Start Time and End Time to use "Medium Time" format and it works if and ONLY if you simple include the field in the query. However, if you use the field in a more complex statement, it returns leading zeros and trailing seconds. Here's what I've tried.... 'This didn't work because it returns trailing seconds and AM/PM. '2:00:00 PM...

Conditional null value

Display ALL text contents in cell
I am having trouble displaying all the contents in the cell. It is som lengthy information in the cell. I have made the row height as high a it will go, but it still won't display all the information. I canno make the column width any wider than I have it set, because then th other columns will not fit on the page. Does anyone know how t overcome this problem? : -- Flipper106 ----------------------------------------------------------------------- Flipper1067's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=2561 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/...

Help
Forgive me if "Conditional Sums" is not the accurate word for what I am trying to accomplish... I'm at a loss for what to call this situation. What I have is a spreadsheet totaling attendance figures for classes taught by two people (Dave and Cary). Column A lists their name, and next to it in Column B is the number of people who attended that class. What I need is a formula that will look at the sheet and report in a given cell the total for attendance for each person. I can work basic formulas like SUM, but that will give the total for the entire column, when what I n...

Formatting Imported Data
Hi, I want to be able to read in a single column of data from either an Excel file or from a column of a word document and then produce the same column of data so that each entry has two cells separating them. So that the column 1 2 3 would look like 1 empty cell empty cell 2 empty cell empty cell 3 I there a straightforward way I can do this in Excel w/o having to use some type of additional program (like VBA)? TIA, Matt Nothing straightforward that I can see. Without some manual arranging which would be onerous, you will be better off to use a VBA macro. Sub InsertRows22() Appli...

How to ignore embedded linefeed in CSV quoted text fields?
I have a CSV file where the text elements in quotes have embedded linefeeds 123,"12/08/2009","is a new{LF}line","" where {LF} is an actual linefeed, char(10) I can open it directly in Excel 2007, which ignores these line breaks. However, the US m/d/y dates come out incorrectly because my locale uses d/m/y But if I open it in VBA with a Text Query (to parse the m/d/y date formats) it does not import into Excel correctly. The text columns have linefeeds inserted that force a newline so the line is correct up to the LF then the record continues on...