Conditional format to cells containing a #DIV/0! error

I would like to apply a conditional format to an entire spreadsheet.
In particular, if a cell returns and error such as #DIV/0! I would the
selected font color to be white.

What do I have to enter in the conditional formatting menu?  If I set
the value of the cell equal to #DIV/0!, the format does not work.

A solution that I found could be to use the GoTo functions to select
the cells with errors and then manually apply the color, but since I am
creating a template at a later point the empty cells that return the
divided by zero error may contain a number.  Basically I would like the
cells to automatically update.

Can anyone please help?

Thanks a lot,

PiPPo

0
pippo00 (3)
4/19/2006 7:24:19 PM
excel 39879 articles. 2 followers. Follow

One way,

click in the select all button above row 1 header and to the left of column
A header to select the whole sheet or type i:65536 in the name box (above
column A), do format>conditional formatting, select formula is and type

=ERROR.TYPE(A1)=2

click the format button and select white fonts and click OK twice

--

Regards,

Peo Sjoblom

http://nwexcelsolutions.com

"PiPPo" <pippo00@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>I would like to apply a conditional format to an entire spreadsheet.
> In particular, if a cell returns and error such as #DIV/0! I would the
> selected font color to be white.
>
> What do I have to enter in the conditional formatting menu?  If I set
> the value of the cell equal to #DIV/0!, the format does not work.
>
> A solution that I found could be to use the GoTo functions to select
> the cells with errors and then manually apply the color, but since I am
> creating a template at a later point the empty cells that return the
> divided by zero error may contain a number.  Basically I would like the
> cells to automatically update.
>
> Can anyone please help?
>
> Thanks a lot,
>
> PiPPo

0
Peo
4/19/2006 7:40:47 PM
You could uses a formula in the Format|conditional formatting dialog:

Formula is:
=ISERROR(A1)

(if A1 is the cell)

--

Dave Peterson
0

Then Format>CF>Formula is:  =ISERROR(activecell)

Make sure Excel does not place $ signs around the cellref.

Pick the white font and OK your way out.

Gord Dibben  MS Excel MVP

On 19 Apr 2006 12:24:19 -0700, "PiPPo" <pippo00@hotmail.com> wrote:

>I would like to apply a conditional format to an entire spreadsheet.
>In particular, if a cell returns and error such as #DIV/0! I would the
>selected font color to be white.
>
>What do I have to enter in the conditional formatting menu?  If I set
>the value of the cell equal to #DIV/0!, the format does not work.
>
>A solution that I found could be to use the GoTo functions to select
>the cells with errors and then manually apply the color, but since I am
>creating a template at a later point the empty cells that return the
>divided by zero error may contain a number.  Basically I would like the
>cells to automatically update.
>
>Can anyone please help?
>
>Thanks a lot,
>
>PiPPo

0
Gord
4/19/2006 7:45:29 PM
Hi there,

why don't you use :
=IF(IsError(Function),"",Function)
if the calculation (function or division, etc) gives an error message (e.g.
#DIV/0!) then results "blank", if can be done, then does the function.

Any good?
Best regards,
ANdras
(Hungary)

"PiPPo" wrote:

> I would like to apply a conditional format to an entire spreadsheet.
> In particular, if a cell returns and error such as #DIV/0! I would the
> selected font color to be white.
>
> What do I have to enter in the conditional formatting menu?  If I set
> the value of the cell equal to #DIV/0!, the format does not work.
>
> A solution that I found could be to use the GoTo functions to select
> the cells with errors and then manually apply the color, but since I am
> creating a template at a later point the empty cells that return the
> divided by zero error may contain a number.  Basically I would like the
> cells to automatically update.
>
> Can anyone please help?
>
> Thanks a lot,
>
> PiPPo

0
ANdras (21)
4/19/2006 7:47:01 PM
Of course that will hide all errors but it might be what the OP wanted
albeit not asked for? <bg>

Peo

> You could uses a formula in the Format|conditional formatting dialog:
>
> Formula is:
> =ISERROR(A1)
>
> (if A1 is the cell)
>
> PiPPo wrote:
>>
>> I would like to apply a conditional format to an entire spreadsheet.
>> In particular, if a cell returns and error such as #DIV/0! I would the
>> selected font color to be white.
>>
>> What do I have to enter in the conditional formatting menu?  If I set
>> the value of the cell equal to #DIV/0!, the format does not work.
>>
>> A solution that I found could be to use the GoTo functions to select
>> the cells with errors and then manually apply the color, but since I am
>> creating a template at a later point the empty cells that return the
>> divided by zero error may contain a number.  Basically I would like the
>> cells to automatically update.
>>
>> Can anyone please help?
>>
>> Thanks a lot,
>>
>> PiPPo
>
> --
>
> Dave Peterson

0
Peo

Today Conditional Format

Can't format numbers for France in Excel 2003
I'm using the US version of Excel 2003, but need to format costs, etc., for a project in the French euro format (e.g., I need 2050.45 euros to display as 2 050,45). That currency format isn't offered in my dialog box, and if I make a custom number format that will display correctly, it doesn't operate as a number. Any suggestions? On Wed, 10 Oct 2007 08:51:03 -0700, Mary Fran <MaryFran@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >I'm using the US version of Excel 2003, but need to format costs, etc., for a >project in the French euro format (e.g., I need 2050.45 euros...

Can t read mac-word files containing excel graphs on a PC
I am using microsoft Office X 10.1.4 on a powerbook G4 with operating system OS X 10.3.5 panther. I have created a graph in Excel on its own sheet (ie the one that contains the relevant data). I activate the graph, copy it to the clipboard, switch to Word and do a Paste Special, paste as image. So do I with all the excel graphs I want to insert into my word document (scientific report). The word document is saved under format "microsoft word document". I ve sent my word document to several colleagues who work on PCs. They all told me they could not see the excel graphs. They (the ...

Two Condition Vlookup?

Query condition by date range

Exchange 2000 SP3 Errors
Big problems everyone. We could use a little help. While attempting to perform a Windows 2k ---> 2003 / Exchange 2000 --- > 2003 migration, we are seeing the following: EVENT ID: Date: 4/16/2007 Source: MSExchangeIS Time: 19:14 Category: Connections Type: Error Event ID: 1021 User: N/A Computer: EX1 NT AUTHORITY/SYSTEM was unable to connect as /o=Organization/ou=Site/ cn=Configuration/cn=Servers/cn=EX1/cn=Microsoft System Attendant. Error 0x80040111. For more information, click http://www.microsoft.com/contentredirect.asp. We are unable to move mailboxes b...

Format cells #7

Inserting a cell in the header.
We are trying to get a cell in the header of a sheet. Can this be done? Example would be in our sheet in D9 is TFF. We want whatever is in D9 to go in the header. I'm not sure this makes sense. Thanks Wendy You could do this with a macro linked to the worksheet_change event. Insert the following code into the macro sheet for the sheet with the cell if interest. Private Sub Worksheet_Change(ByVal Target As Range) For Each Cell In Target If Cell.Address = "$D$9" Then ActiveSheet.PageSetup.CenterHeader = Cell.Value End If Next Cell End Sub -- mrice Research Scientist with ...

How do you lock a cell with data but still allow new data entry?
I have a spreadsheet that will be accessed by multiple users. Each user will fill out a row of data, save and close the spreadsheet. We do not want users to edit rows after data is entered into a row of cells. Is there any way to lock this data to prevent it from being edited? Thanks Yes, but only with VBA and a Protected Worksheet. The code for this is available. Questions................. 1. You say users fill out a "row of data"...................how many columns would that row contain? e.g. A to F or ?? 2. Do users fill out all cells in that row's r...

Can multiple cell results be displayed in a single cell?
Is it possible to display the contents of multiple separate cells in another single cell? If the results of several cells say B1, B2, and B3 are the amounts $10, $15 and $20, I would like to display them in cell A1 as follows: $10 $15 $20 I could do this statically by using text and the 'Alt|Enter' function within the cell. However, these amounts will change from time to time so I'd like a link. Is this possible or not? Thanks for any help. Brett Brett One way: In A1: ="$"&B1&CHAR(10)&"$"&B2&CHAR(10)&"$"&B3&am...

login error message
I have set a user for great plains, but when the user attemps to login they recieve the following error message "Youe SQL Server login record is not a valid user record in Great Plains." The user has the same permissions as all other users in this system. Any thoughts on what I failed to set up. Thanks. Hi You will need to check that the user login ID exist in the Database; eg. SQL enterprise- expand DYNAMICS database- Users- Check to see if you can see the user in the name column. If so check to see if the user name has a Login ID (on the login name column). Do the same ...

Excel cell value equals selected text from Word
Is it possible to bookmark or link a piece of text in Microsoft Word eg. a title in the word document is 'West Belfast Profile' In Excel, I would like to make a cell value equal to the text from Word. Basically cell A5 in excel equals 'West' from the title 'West Belfast Profile' in Word. If the user changes the title in Word to 'East Belfast Profile', the cell value in Excel changes to 'East'. Is this possible? You go to Word document and copy the text you want to link to Excel, select the cell you want to paste to Excel file, right-click ...

Formatting worksheet
I have a workbook with three worksheets and one chartsheet in it. I have notes documenting various aspects of the four sheets. Some of those notes are on electronic post-it notes and others on scraps of paper. It seems to me that a convenient way to consolidate all of my documentation for the workbook would be to add another worksheet to it and put the information in it. What would be the best way to format the worksheet so that I could type information into it as if I were using a text editor? Leslie, Excel isn't really all that set up for text. I sometimes make narrow column...

Conditional Field in Queries

XML validation error. Help required
XML validation error. Help required If anyone can help me, thankyou, thankyou... When I run this code code I get this error: The data at the root level is invalid. Line 1, position 39. I can't work out what the error is. Can you??? original code: Dim oRead As XmlTextReader Dim oValid As XmlValidatingReader Try oRead = New XmlTextReader("C:\custdoc.xml") oValid = New XmlValidatingReader(oRead) AddHandler oValid.ValidationEventHandler, New Schema.ValidationEventHandler(AddressOf ValidationError) oValid.Schemas.Add("newschema", "C:\custschema.xsd") oValid....

Combobox value populate cell selection
I am looking for button code to have a selected cell range merged and populated with value chosen from combobox. This value is centered in the merged cell selection. The cells range is defined manually with mouse. Bart Have a look at this event code which you can refine. No error-checking for data in the selected range...........assumes the mergerange is empty when selected. Runs when a value is selected from Combobox1 Private Sub ComboBox1_Change() Set srng = Application.InputBox(prompt:= _ "Select A Range", Type:=8) With srng .HorizontalAlignment = xlCen...

how to compare project settings VC++ 6.0
Hi all, I have two MFC projects made with VC++ 6.0. How can I compare their project settings to see the differences? Is there any trick/tool to make it easier than just manually reviewing the tiny setting windows? Thanks for ideas Vaclav "Vaclav" <no@spam.please> wrote in message news:OoB2ZB2TGHA.1868@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl... > Hi all, > > I have two MFC projects made with VC++ 6.0. How can I compare their project > settings to see the differences? Is there any trick/tool to make it easier > than just manually reviewing the tiny setting windows? > Not ...

zip codes not being saved as text in CSV format
I need my file to be saved in CSV format (to import into another application). When I format the zip codes as Text or Special(zip code), they are correct in XLS format, but when I open the file in CSV format they switch back to general. Any solution? work around? Thanks so much for your help in advance!! Melissa Change the file extension to .txt and use the text import wizard to treat the column as text (last dialog) -- Regards, Tom Ogilvy "MelissaM" <MelissaM@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:B5A02627-810E-4234-8247-267D9B12FA29@microsoft.com... >...

format a column
I have a simple question to ask, I have a column in Excel is number like 142000, I want to format the whole column numbers without the two ending 0s, change 142000 to 1420, how can I do that? Thanks -- xcao ------------------------------------------------------------------------ xcao's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=14538 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=471821 Enter 100 in an empty cell and copy it. Then, select your range of numbers you want to change, Right Click and go to Paste Special, and select Div...

Error 13
Hi, I have this code: Dim i As Long ActiveSheet.Select ActiveSheet.Unprotect password:="!" For i = 3 To 32 Rows(i).EntireRow.Hidden = Range("A" & i).Value = 0 Next i ActiveSheet.Select ActiveWindow.SelectedSheets.PrintOut Copies:=1, Collate:=True ActiveSheet.Select For i = 3 To 32 Rows(i).EntireRow.Hidden = False Next i ActiveSheet.Protect password:="!" Range("A1").Select End Function It works at my office 2000 and also saving as office 95. But when trying run the code in office 97 I get something like "erro 13" and "incompatible t...

ERROR to send 401
I am having problems with envio of a worksheet the 401, when envio to the store and synchronize in the servant, remains patch in the message of LOADING DATA FROM STORE To HQ. AS PODRIA TO BE THE SOLUTION? ...

How to return a 12 hour time format without the AM in an Access query
The format function acts differently in a query and after hours of testing, messing, and cursing, I give up. How do you return 12 hour format without the AM or PM from an Access query. In my table, I've defined the Start Time and End Time to use "Medium Time" format and it works if and ONLY if you simple include the field in the query. However, if you use the field in a more complex statement, it returns leading zeros and trailing seconds. Here's what I've tried.... 'This didn't work because it returns trailing seconds and AM/PM. '2:00:00 PM...