Condition Formatting!

How do I make a row of cell (shading) that change to red color when the word
"trial" or "limit" is entered?

i.e cell 3f contain the word "trial".  From the column of trial to the 1st
column, the entire row 3a to 3f will be red?

   a        b        c        d        e        f
3                                                 Trial

excel 39879 articles. 2 followers. Follow

Here's some VBA you could paste into the codebehind page for that sheet:

If UCase(Target.Value) = "TRIAL" Or UCase(Target.Value) = "LIMIT" Then
    Range("A" & Target.Row & ":" & Target.Address(False,
False)).Interior.Color = RGB(255, 0, 0)
End If

End Sub

-Erik

"crapit" <littlecramP@yahoo.com.sg> wrote in message
> How do I make a row of cell (shading) that change to red color when the
> word "trial" or "limit" is entered?
>
> i.e cell 3f contain the word "trial".  From the column of trial to the 1st
> column, the entire row 3a to 3f will be red?
>
>   a        b        c        d        e        f
> 1
> 2
> 3                                                 Trial
> 4
> 5
> 6

Hi
no need for VBA. Try:
- select rows A1:F6
- goto 'Format - Conditional Format'
- enter the following formula:
=COUNTIF($A1:$F1,"trial")+COUNTIF($A1:$F1,"limit")
-chhose your format

--
Regards
Frank Kabel

crapit wrote:
> How do I make a row of cell (shading) that change to red color when
> the word "trial" or "limit" is entered?
>
> i.e cell 3f contain the word "trial".  From the column of trial to
> the 1st column, the entire row 3a to 3f will be red?
>
>    a        b        c        d        e        f
> 1
> 2
> 3                                                 Trial
> 4
> 5
> 6
0
frank.kabel (11126)
10/31/2004 8:12:11 AM
If you don't want to use VBA I think this might work.
Highlight a row,
Format, Conditional formatting
in the first box use dropdown to choose formula is
in next box type in =$e1="trial"
click on the format button and choose the format you want, ie use the
patterns tab at the top to choose a background colour.
click on the add button and do it again but this time with limit in the
formula.
Then click on OK button.
Copy this row,
Select all other rows you want to have this format and edit, paste special,
paste formats.

Hope this is useful,
Barbara

crapit wrote:
> How do I make a row of cell (shading) that change to red color when
> the word "trial" or "limit" is entered?
>
> i.e cell 3f contain the word "trial".  From the column of trial to
> the 1st column, the entire row 3a to 3f will be red?
>
>    a        b        c        d        e        f
> 1
> 2
> 3                                                 Trial
> 4
> 5
> 6

0
not8921 (82)
10/31/2004 8:26:03 AM
If the existing cell contain other format, how to make the conditional
format not affect it?
> Hi
> no need for VBA. Try:
> - select rows A1:F6
> - goto 'Format - Conditional Format'
> - enter the following formula:
> =COUNTIF($A1:$F1,"trial")+COUNTIF($A1:$F1,"limit")
> -chhose your format
>
> --
> Regards
> Frank Kabel
> Frankfurt, Germany
>

> crapit wrote:
>> How do I make a row of cell (shading) that change to red color when
>> the word "trial" or "limit" is entered?
>>
>> i.e cell 3f contain the word "trial".  From the column of trial to
>> the 1st column, the entire row 3a to 3f will be red?
>>
>>    a        b        c        d        e        f
>> 1
>> 2
>> 3                                                 Trial
>> 4
>> 5
>> 6

Hi
the conditional format 'overwrites' the existing format if the
condition is met. what else would you expect?

--
Regards
Frank Kabel

crapit wrote:
> If the existing cell contain other format, how to make the
conditional
> format not affect it?
> "Frank Kabel" <frank.kabel@freenet.de> wrote in message
>> Hi
>> no need for VBA. Try:
>> - select rows A1:F6
>> - goto 'Format - Conditional Format'
>> - enter the following formula:
>> =COUNTIF($A1:$F1,"trial")+COUNTIF($A1:$F1,"limit")
>> -chhose your format
>>
>> --
>> Regards
>> Frank Kabel
>> Frankfurt, Germany
>>

>> crapit wrote:
>>> How do I make a row of cell (shading) that change to red color when
>>> the word "trial" or "limit" is entered?
>>>
>>> i.e cell 3f contain the word "trial".  From the column of trial to
>>> the 1st column, the entire row 3a to 3f will be red?
>>>
>>>    a        b        c        d        e        f
>>> 1
>>> 2
>>> 3                                                 Trial
>>> 4
>>> 5
>>> 6

0
frank.kabel (11126)
10/31/2004 9:42:42 AM
is it possibel to opperate with 9 different collors in conditional format ?

"Frank Kabel" <frank.kabel@freenet.de> skrev i en meddelelse
> Hi
> no need for VBA. Try:
> - select rows A1:F6
> - goto 'Format - Conditional Format'
> - enter the following formula:
> =COUNTIF($A1:$F1,"trial")+COUNTIF($A1:$F1,"limit")
> -chhose your format
>
> --
> Regards
> Frank Kabel
> Frankfurt, Germany
>

> crapit wrote:
> > How do I make a row of cell (shading) that change to red color when
> > the word "trial" or "limit" is entered?
> >
> > i.e cell 3f contain the word "trial".  From the column of trial to
> > the 1st column, the entire row 3a to 3f will be red?
> >
> >    a        b        c        d        e        f
> > 1
> > 2
> > 3                                                 Trial
> > 4
> > 5
> > 6

0
nbenospam (3)
11/2/2004 10:55:29 AM
Nope.  You get 3 formats plus the "normal" format.

If you need more options, you'll need some event macro.

--

Dave Peterson
ec35720@msn.com

=OR($A3="trial",$A3="Limit")

This is a logical formula returning TRUE if the condition is met.  Th
formula is relative with the row and absolute for column A so it can b
copied onto different rows and across columns and therefore highligh
the entire row as required

--
gatwickx
gatwickxx's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=1561

So u mean if the condition isnt met, the format should retain its setting>?
> Hi
> the conditional format 'overwrites' the existing format if the
> condition is met. what else would you expect?
>
> --
> Regards
> Frank Kabel
> Frankfurt, Germany
>

> crapit wrote:
>> If the existing cell contain other format, how to make the
> conditional
>> format not affect it?
>> "Frank Kabel" <frank.kabel@freenet.de> wrote in message
>>> Hi
>>> no need for VBA. Try:
>>> - select rows A1:F6
>>> - goto 'Format - Conditional Format'
>>> - enter the following formula:
>>> =COUNTIF($A1:$F1,"trial")+COUNTIF($A1:$F1,"limit")
>>> -chhose your format
>>>
>>> --
>>> Regards
>>> Frank Kabel
>>> Frankfurt, Germany

If the condition isnt met, would conditional format default the cell color?
"Dave Peterson" <ec35720@msn.com> wrote in message
> Nope.  You get 3 formats plus the "normal" format.
>
> If you need more options, you'll need some event macro.
>
> "Niels B�ge Egstrand" wrote:
>>
>> is it possibel to opperate with 9 different collors in conditional format
>> ?
>>
>> "Frank Kabel" <frank.kabel@freenet.de> skrev i en meddelelse
>> > Hi
>> > no need for VBA. Try:
>> > - select rows A1:F6
>> > - goto 'Format - Conditional Format'
>> > - enter the following formula:
>> > =COUNTIF($A1:$F1,"trial")+COUNTIF($A1:$F1,"limit")
>> > -chhose your format
>> >
>> > --
>> > Regards
>> > Frank Kabel
>> > Frankfurt, Germany

> --
>
> Dave Peterson
> ec35720@msn.com

If the conditions aren't met, the format that you have set for that cell
appear.  (all the CF formatting won't be shown.)

Sometimes a little dry run on a test cell in a test worksheet helps.

Put 3 conditional formats in A1 all based on cell value (1,2,3)

Then watch what happens when you type in 1, then 2, then 3, then 4.

--

Dave Peterson
ec35720@netscape.com
"Dave Peterson" <ec35720@netscape.com> wrote in message
> If the conditions aren't met, the format that you have set for that cell
> appear.  (all the CF formatting won't be shown.)
>
> Sometimes a little dry run on a test cell in a test worksheet helps.
>
> Put 3 conditional formats in A1 all based on cell value (1,2,3)
>
> Then watch what happens when you type in 1, then 2, then 3, then 4.
>
> crapit wrote:
>>
>> If the condition isnt met, would conditional format default the cell
>> color?
>> "Dave Peterson" <ec35720@msn.com> wrote in message
>> > Nope.  You get 3 formats plus the "normal" format.
>> >
>> > If you need more options, you'll need some event macro.

>> > --
>> >
>> > Dave Peterson
>> > ec35720@msn.com
>
> --
>
> Dave Peterson
> ec35720@netscape.com

I'm not sure I understand.

If you formatted a cell and then applied the CF conditions, the cell will only
change formats if one of the CF formats are met.

If you've copied a cell that was formatted nicely and also had conditional
formatting, then when you paste this cell, it inherits all the formatting--both
the "regular" formatting and the conditional formatting.

--

Dave Peterson
ec35720@netscape.com
"If you formatted a cell and then applied the CF conditions, the cell will
only
 change formats if one of the CF formats are met."

Im using the above mentioned method. but the cell default to no cell shading
instead (no filling)

> I'm not sure I understand.
>
> If you formatted a cell and then applied the CF conditions, the cell will
> only
> change formats if one of the CF formats are met.
>
> If you've copied a cell that was formatted nicely and also had conditional
> formatting, then when you paste this cell, it inherits all the
> formatting--both
> the "regular" formatting and the conditional formatting.
>

> crapit wrote:
>>
>> But if a cell that has already been formatted, i.e cell a1 has cell
>> shading
>> dark blue and i paste the conditional format over, eventhough condition
>> not
>> met, the cell shading color become default.  Why?
>> "Dave Peterson" <ec35720@netscape.com> wrote in message
>> > If the conditions aren't met, the format that you have set for that
>> > cell
>> > appear.  (all the CF formatting won't be shown.)
>> >
>> > Sometimes a little dry run on a test cell in a test worksheet helps.
>> >
>> > Put 3 conditional formats in A1 all based on cell value (1,2,3)
>> >
>> > Then watch what happens when you type in 1, then 2, then 3, then 4.

>> > --
>> >
>> > Dave Peterson
>> > ec35720@netscape.com
>
> --
>
> Dave Peterson
> ec35720@netscape.com

How did you format the cell?

Did you apply a color?  Change the Font?

If you do this formatting manually, then when you don't have any CF conditions
met, you'll see this formatting.

--

Dave Peterson
ec35720@netscape.com

But if I copied a cell that has the cond. format, and paste only the format
on cell A1, the cell shading will be default (no fill)

> How did you format the cell?
>
> Did you apply a color?  Change the Font?
>
> If you do this formatting manually, then when you don't have any CF
> conditions
> met, you'll see this formatting.
>
> crapit wrote:
>>
>> "If you formatted a cell and then applied the CF conditions, the cell
>> will
>> only
>>  change formats if one of the CF formats are met."
>>
>> Im using the above mentioned method. but the cell default to no cell
>> shading
>> instead (no filling)
>>
>> "Dave Peterson" <ec35720@netscape.com> wrote in message
>> > I'm not sure I understand.
>> >
>> > If you formatted a cell and then applied the CF conditions, the cell
>> > will
>> > only
>> > change formats if one of the CF formats are met.
>> >
>> > If you've copied a cell that was formatted nicely and also had
>> > conditional
>> > formatting, then when you paste this cell, it inherits all the
>> > formatting--both
>> > the "regular" formatting and the conditional formatting.

>> > --
>> >
>> > Dave Peterson
>> > ec35720@netscape.com
>
> --
>
> Dave Peterson
> ec35720@netscape.com

Say you put conditional formatting in C1--but don't change the "normal"
formatting.

Then format A1 to have a fill color (format|cells stuff).

Then copy C1 and paste special|formats over A1.

A1 will inherit all the formats from C1--both the conditional formatting and the
"normal" formatting.

If you format C1 (Format|cells stuff), then copy|paste special|formats, then A1
will get those same formats.

What did you want/expect to happen when you pasted formats?

--

Dave Peterson
0

But the format cond. only provide colors and fonts change accordingly, right

"Dave Peterson" <ec35720@netscapeXSPAM.com> wrote in message
> Say you put conditional formatting in C1--but don't change the "normal"
> formatting.
>
> Then format A1 to have a fill color (format|cells stuff).
>
> Then copy C1 and paste special|formats over A1.
>
> A1 will inherit all the formats from C1--both the conditional formatting
> and the
> "normal" formatting.
>
> If you format C1 (Format|cells stuff), then copy|paste special|formats,
> then A1
> will get those same formats.
>
> What did you want/expect to happen when you pasted formats?
>

> crapit wrote:
>>
>> i.e on Cell A1
>> Right-click, format cell, select pattern  and choose desire color!
>>
>> But if I copied a cell that has the cond. format, and paste only the
>> format
>> on cell A1, the cell shading will be default (no fill)
>>
>> "Dave Peterson" <ec35720@netscape.com> wrote in message
>> > How did you format the cell?
>> >
>> > Did you apply a color?  Change the Font?
>> >
>> > If you do this formatting manually, then when you don't have any CF
>> > conditions
>> > met, you'll see this formatting.

>> > --
>> >
>> > Dave Peterson
>> > ec35720@netscape.com
>
> --
>
> Dave Peterson

Today Conditional Format

Can't format numbers for France in Excel 2003
I'm using the US version of Excel 2003, but need to format costs, etc., for a project in the French euro format (e.g., I need 2050.45 euros to display as 2 050,45). That currency format isn't offered in my dialog box, and if I make a custom number format that will display correctly, it doesn't operate as a number. Any suggestions? On Wed, 10 Oct 2007 08:51:03 -0700, Mary Fran <MaryFran@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >I'm using the US version of Excel 2003, but need to format costs, etc., for a >project in the French euro format (e.g., I need 2050.45 euros...

Two Condition Vlookup?

Query condition by date range

Format cells #7

Formatting worksheet
I have a workbook with three worksheets and one chartsheet in it. I have notes documenting various aspects of the four sheets. Some of those notes are on electronic post-it notes and others on scraps of paper. It seems to me that a convenient way to consolidate all of my documentation for the workbook would be to add another worksheet to it and put the information in it. What would be the best way to format the worksheet so that I could type information into it as if I were using a text editor? Leslie, Excel isn't really all that set up for text. I sometimes make narrow column...

Conditional Field in Queries

zip codes not being saved as text in CSV format
I need my file to be saved in CSV format (to import into another application). When I format the zip codes as Text or Special(zip code), they are correct in XLS format, but when I open the file in CSV format they switch back to general. Any solution? work around? Thanks so much for your help in advance!! Melissa Change the file extension to .txt and use the text import wizard to treat the column as text (last dialog) -- Regards, Tom Ogilvy "MelissaM" <MelissaM@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:B5A02627-810E-4234-8247-267D9B12FA29@microsoft.com... >...

format a column
I have a simple question to ask, I have a column in Excel is number like 142000, I want to format the whole column numbers without the two ending 0s, change 142000 to 1420, how can I do that? Thanks -- xcao ------------------------------------------------------------------------ xcao's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=14538 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=471821 Enter 100 in an empty cell and copy it. Then, select your range of numbers you want to change, Right Click and go to Paste Special, and select Div...

How to return a 12 hour time format without the AM in an Access query
The format function acts differently in a query and after hours of testing, messing, and cursing, I give up. How do you return 12 hour format without the AM or PM from an Access query. In my table, I've defined the Start Time and End Time to use "Medium Time" format and it works if and ONLY if you simple include the field in the query. However, if you use the field in a more complex statement, it returns leading zeros and trailing seconds. Here's what I've tried.... 'This didn't work because it returns trailing seconds and AM/PM. '2:00:00 PM...

Conditional null value

Help
Forgive me if "Conditional Sums" is not the accurate word for what I am trying to accomplish... I'm at a loss for what to call this situation. What I have is a spreadsheet totaling attendance figures for classes taught by two people (Dave and Cary). Column A lists their name, and next to it in Column B is the number of people who attended that class. What I need is a formula that will look at the sheet and report in a given cell the total for attendance for each person. I can work basic formulas like SUM, but that will give the total for the entire column, when what I n...

Formatting Imported Data
Hi, I want to be able to read in a single column of data from either an Excel file or from a column of a word document and then produce the same column of data so that each entry has two cells separating them. So that the column 1 2 3 would look like 1 empty cell empty cell 2 empty cell empty cell 3 I there a straightforward way I can do this in Excel w/o having to use some type of additional program (like VBA)? TIA, Matt Nothing straightforward that I can see. Without some manual arranging which would be onerous, you will be better off to use a VBA macro. Sub InsertRows22() Appli...

XML Receipt and Conditions
I wanted to make a small adjustment to the receipt when a certain condition is met. If a particular word (eg. family) is typed into the comment on an item I wanted something slightly different to happen to the receipt I've just about got it, just stuck on the condition tag <IF> <CONDITION>len(Entry.Comment)</CONDITION> <THEN> I can get it using len but this makes it happen for any word, is there anyway I can make it so that it is more specific ie Entry.Comment contains '%family%' try <IF> <CONDITION>Entry.Comment like '%family%'&...

Time formats in Excel 2003
Being in the UK, I obviously want to use the English(UK) date format, so Christmas Day is 25/12/05 rather than 12/25/05. However, this defaults the time format to hh/mm/ss (why, I do not know, since I can assure American readers we're not normally that precise), so I have to reset it English(US) to get hh/mm, which resets the default date format to mm/dd/yy, so I have to change it back the next time I want to format a cell as a date. Any way round this? It's only a minor problem but it's irritating me. Steve Stephen, If you set up your own custom format with hh/mm, it w...

conditionally restricting values in excel
Hello, I want to restrict values in a particular column based on the value in other column. For eg. if column A has value int then column B should be restricted to values 1,2,3,4,5 if column A has value bool then column B should be restricted to values true and false. if column A has value string I dont want any validation to be done and the list box should not appear. Is this possible..... How do I achieve this ? Can I use macros to do this? How? Thanks Hi as a starting point: http://www.contextures.com/xlDataVal02.html >-----Original Message----- >Hello, >I want to restrict ...

Conditional formating condition..?
Hi All I have 2 CF conditions associated with a cell (C14), one of which is: Formula is =OR($C$4="Fred SOMEBODY",C14<>"10:30:00") What happens when this is true isn't important/relevant. The value in the cell appears as 10:30 (formatted as custom/hh:mm) but the value in the 'formula window' is actually 10:30:00. This type of condition works fine when the cell contains a simple number (or text) but I can't get it to work for either times or dates. I have tried it with and without the inverted commas (around the time value) and have tried using 10:30 ...

Condition Formatting!
How do I make a row of cell (shading) that change to red color when the word "trial" or "limit" is entered? i.e cell 3f contain the word "trial". From the column of trial to the 1st column, the entire row 3a to 3f will be red? a b c d e f 1 2 3 Trial 4 5 6 Here's some VBA you could paste into the codebehind page for that sheet: Private Sub Worksheet_Change(ByVal Target As Range) If UCase(Target.Value) = "TRIAL" Or UCase(Target.Value) = "LIMIT" T...

Formatting cells for printing
How can you add a blank line or bottom margin in a cell to seperate the rows for printing? In Word it is called a cell margin. You can increase the rowheight by selecting a cell in that row and then: format|row|height and making it larger. You could also add an alt-enter as the last character in that cell. (might be messy if you're working with numeric values, though) Steve S wrote: > > How can you add a blank line or bottom margin in a cell to seperate the rows > for printing? In Word it is called a cell margin. -- Dave Peterson ...

Lose Formatting
We have a pretty intense Excel Workbook that we use on a daily bases. We are currently running MS 2007 but this Workbook is running in 97-2003 because we just changed over about 6 months ago. The issue is that in the past week the this file keeps losing it format. Can't seem to figure out why. ...

Emailing Reports in PDF format
I am using Stephen Lebans A2000SnapshotToPDFver751 to email reports as PDF files. The module works fine if the report page size is set to letter but on the reports where page size is set to legal the bottom part of the page past the letter size does not have the lines that should be printing. I am wondering if anyone else has experience with this problem. Thanks, -- Bob G ...