Compatibility MOde and Read only

I am a new user of Excel 2007 and have previously used Excel 2002.

I have received an Excel sheet which opens in "Compatibility mode" and
as "Read only". When I try to save it, it will only save as a copy and
defaults to Excel 93-2003 format, so I assume that is how it was
created. When I delete empty rows or columns at the end of the database
and save the file and then reopen it the deleted rowa/columns are still
there in the saved copy.

a) what am I doing wrong?
b) how do I open it in non "compatibility mode" and not as "read only"?
c) hoe do I delete excess rows/columns and make it stick? (I did select
remove rows).

Hope you can help.  Thanks.
Jeff
0
Jeff
4/4/2010 6:45:53 PM
excel 39879 articles. 2 followers. Follow

On 4/4/2010 2:45 PM, Jeff@nospam.fake wrote:
> I am a new user of Excel 2007 and have previously used Excel 2002.
>
> I have received an Excel sheet which opens in "Compatibility mode" and
> as "Read only". When I try to save it, it will only save as a copy and
> defaults to Excel 93-2003 format, so I assume that is how it was
> created. When I delete empty rows or columns at the end of the database
> and save the file and then reopen it the deleted rowa/columns are still
> there in the saved copy.
>
> a) what am I doing wrong?
> b) how do I open it in non "compatibility mode" and not as "read only"?
> c) hoe do I delete excess rows/columns and make it stick? (I did select
> remove rows).
>
> Hope you can help. Thanks.
> Jeff
Saved the file in Excel 2007 file and all problems disappeared.
0
Jeff

Access Violation in mfc42.dll when activating dlg in release mode
hi! for simulation purposes i have an io-card simulation dialog on which i am able to see the actual output and set the input flags of my io-interface. it's a popup dialog with parent = 0 (if this matters). in debug mode everything works fine, in release mode it does either as long as i want to set an input (button on the dialog). i get an access violation in mfc42.dll - the developer studio halts on void* CMapPtrToPtr::GetValueAt(void* key) const // find value (or return NULL -- NULL values not different as a result) { if (m_pHashTable == NULL) return NULL; UINT nHash = HashKey(ke...

Backwards Compatibility
Does anyone know of any backward compatibility problems when upgrading from Visio 2000 too Visio 2002 The file format between Visio 2000 and Visio 2002 is the same. John... Visio MVP Need stencils or ideas? http://www.mvps.org/visio/3rdparty.htm Need VBA examples? http://www.mvps.org/visio/VBA.htm Common Visio Questions http://www.mvps.org/visio/common_questions.htm "Matt" <matt.burton@linklaters.com> wrote in message news:0d4901c3b3fd$ce8bebc0$a301280a@phx.gbl... > Does anyone know of any backward compatibility problems > when upgrading from Visio 2000 too Visi...

Reading Registry Values
Hello, I am using the CRegKey class, and I am wondering how I can read values from the registry. Sincerely, James Simpson Straightway Technologies http://straightway.no-ip.com Try you should open the parent Key before reading a child registry using CRegKey::Open() CRegKey::QueryValue(..) methods for reading regsitry .. -- ------------------------------------------------------------------------- FIGHT BACK AGAINST SPAM! Download Spam Inspector, the Award Winning Anti-Spam Filter http://mail.giantcompany.com "James Simpson" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in ...

Read Receipts flood inbox
I hope someone here has some ideas on this issue because I am pulling my hair out over this thing. We have a user who will randomly be flooded with read receipts in their inbox. Sometimes she will receive up to 600 of these at one time. The strange thing is that they are showing that they are from her account and sent to her account, and they all say that the message was not read. Does anyone have any idea what is causing this and how I can prevent it. I thought maybe it was some autoarchiving or something but that is disabled on her PC. This happened for a while and then went away for a...

Outlook 2003 Cached Mode problem
Hi all, Just before end of business of Friday we had a problem with Outlook 2003 and cached mode and thought I would float it on here to see if anyone has any ideas on what to look for next week. We are in the middle of an Exchange 5.5 to 2003 migration. The Exchange 5.5 enterprise has multiple sites and multiple domains. We are doing one of the first sites at the moment and have introduced a new 2003 server and are migrating users across. Most of the users are still Outlook 97 / 98 users and they have been fine with plans to upgrade them later on. Did our first couple of Outlook ...

compatibility
is Office Pro 2003 (I know, it's OLD!!) compatible with Windows 7???? "muddypaws" <muddypaws@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:C3A0B735-BBEC-476C-8F4E-92AE92E1486D@microsoft.com... > is Office Pro 2003 (I know, it's OLD!!) compatible with Windows 7???? Yes. ...

vista compatibility
hi there, Anybody knows if Topcom mediakit 100 (a usb hub with webcam and headset) is vista compatible or direct me to a website where I could find out more. I know for sure that it is compatible with xp, but doubtfull about vista. Thanx "Juve" <oivind.juve@gmail.com> wrote in message news:49cdbcc1-673e-4214-b66c-d071573afe89@b2g2000yqi.googlegroups.com... > hi there, > > Anybody knows if Topcom mediakit 100 (a usb hub with webcam and > headset) is vista compatible or direct me to a website where I could > find out more. I know for sure that i...

Reading & writing a colour
Is there a way to store a color in a file and later on retrieve it? If so, how is it done? Could you please give me a code example? Zach "Zach" <xx@yy.zz> wrote in message news:eJSnNGR$KHA.5392@TK2MSFTNGP06.phx.gbl... > Is there a way to store a color in a file and later on retrieve it? > If so, how is it done? Could you please give me a code example? You could use the Color.ToArgb() instance method to get an int, write that to your file, and then later read an int from the file and use the static Color.FromArgb() method to get your color back from tha...

Pull form in view mode from drop down menu
My switchboard contains a button that when pressed, will run a macro to open up a dialog box. Once the user chooses an option in a dialog box, I would like for the form containing only that chosen record, to pop up as a result of their search. I would like for the form to open up only in view mode, where they cannot add or edit. How can I do this? Why is it a Form? Do you really mean to display your data in a Report. You may find this t be helpful: http://www.fontstuff.com/access/acctut19.htm Download and run this file at the bottom of the page to see how it works: AccessA...

Office 2010 compatibility
Version: 2008 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.6 (Snow Leopard) Processor: Intel With Office 2010 arriving soon, I was wondering whether my Office 2008 will have problems reading files created by my Windows colleagues. <br><br>classicmac Nobody can responsibly give you an absolute Yea or Nay. The file formats are the same as are the fundamental features. However, there will continue to be differences between the Windows & Mac apps. That is nothing new nor should it come as a surprise to anyone [although it does seem to :-)]. Some of those differences are OS-related &a...

how do I Wrap text in the Reading Pane
When using the Reading Pane, an HTML message shows with a line that stretches 'way out and I have to scroll horizontally to read it. In my options, I do have the box for plain text checked to wrap at 76 characters, but that does not help with the current message I'm reading. HTML wraps automatically in the Reading Pane based on the width that is available unless the HTML formatting of the message tells otherwise (like for instance with newsletters). The Plain Text option does not apply to HTML formatted messages. You can of course opt to read all messages in Plain Text...

Linked Template compatibility error

Outlook 2007: Mail merge does not work in "plain-text" mode...
Hello, I'm using MS Office 2007 Pro (with all updates and SP2) on Windows 7 Pro 64 (both german). Today I tried to generate mail merge e-mails (20 recipients) using the mail merge function for e-mails in Word 2007 (using Outlook contacts as recipient db). Before sending the e-mails I am asked for the sending mode (HTML, plaintext or attachement). If I use "HTML" everything works fine and like expected. But I want to use "plaintext". In this case the common outlook access security warning is displayed (in HTML-mode this was not the case). I gra...

Unable to Read File #4
Whenever I start Excel (Office XP SP2 running on Win 2000 SP4) I get the error message 'Unable to Read File' which pops up twice. It then seems to work fine and I have no problem in opening any files. Any idea how to fix this? I've tried re-installing. Thanks Dave See if there are any files in your xlStart folder or see if you are pointing to an alternate startup folder (tools Options General) "Dave" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:0a2501c3b8cd$3d0b40e0$a301280a@phx.gbl... : Whenever I start Excel (Office XP SP2 running on Win 20...

Compatibility with pc office 07
All the computers at my school are running Office 07(only pc's of course). If I get Office 08 for my mac can i create files on the 08 and then view them and edit them on the 07 version at school and vice versa? This includes word, excel, and powerpoint. In article <ee89dab.-1@webcrossing.caR9absDaxw>, rgabald5@officeformac.com wrote: > All the computers at my school are running Office 07(only pc's of course). > If I get Office 08 for my mac can i create files on the 08 and then view them > and edit them on the 07 version at school and vice versa? This includes ...

opening word attachment in print format instead of reading format
"New to Outlook 6.0" <New to Outlook 6.0@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:7A82DBB2-DFE3-4D2F-A6AA-B628ECA7E370@microsoft.com... > Not an Outlook issue. Ask in a Word group. But then you would need to *ask* a question rather than issue a declarative statement. "New to Outlook 6.0" <New to Outlook 6.0@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:7A82DBB2-DFE3-4D2F-A6AA-B628ECA7E370@microsoft.com... > Prevent reading layout view from opening automatically when you receive a Word document in e-mail: On the Tools menu, click Op...

Compatibility
Can I install Office Professional 2003 on the same machine that has XP Home? Yes. -- Guy Lapierre www.forefrontbusinesssolutions.com "sfleming" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:CD13C57C-25CD-48D2-BC22-0BB20A7D890C@microsoft.com... > Can I install Office Professional 2003 on the same machine that has XP Home? ...

Like MODE but not quite.
Hi, I'm sorry if this question seems a little newbie-ish, only I haven't used MS excel since GCSE, and that was over 3 years ago. Could someone tell me how to take the values in a list, and then display the most common one -if the values aren't numbers-, only I've tried looking for it and endlessly had to sift through instructions on how to use MODE! -- Markusdragon ------------------------------------------------------------------------ Markusdragon's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=37902 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.c...

XML deserialisation
Hello, I have an issue where I've replaced a single class field with a number of separate fields that allow more fine control. The problem is that my old files, saved using XmlSerialization, still have this old field name in them, and I need to be able to read it and set the new fields appropriately. E.g. the if the old class class MyClass { public int area; } and the new version is now class MyClass { public int width; public int height; } then when executing: XmlTextReader xmlReader = new XmlTextReader(filename); XmlSerializer xs = new XmlSerializer(typeof(MyClass)); MyClas...

rules and alerts after read
I want to create rules where emails are sent to particular folders after they have been read. How do I do this? The rules and alerts section in my outlook 2003 version doesn't seem to allow me to do this. Rules act on mail when received or sent, not after being read. --=81 Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook] Post all replies to the group to keep the discussion intact. All unsolicited mail sent to my personal account will be deleted without reading. =20 After furious head scratching, Turtle asked: | I want to create rules where emails are sent to particular folders | after they have been...

Compatibility Issue
I had MicroSoft Money 2002 installed on another HD using WindowsXP Home Edition for an OS. It worked splendidly. How, I have changed HD's on the same machine, using the same OS, and I have to go through the Compatibility Wizard to get it to work. Why is that? What can I do to get it to open from the Start menu without having to use the compatibility wizard? Thanks, RLM ...

2000 & 2003 Compatible?
I just bought a laptop with a trial version of Office 2003 although I have been quite satified with the Office 2000 I have been using. Are the file formats with the 2 Excels (& the rest of Office for that matter) compatible? If I don't want to keep the 2003 can I just install my 2000 over it? -- Thanks in advance... Bob Same file format excel - 2003 -- For everyone's benefit keep the discussion in the newsgroup. Regards, Peo Sjoblom "Bob Newman" <bobnewman@worldnet.att.net> wrote in message news:AKPsc.27905$fF3.714150@bgtnsc05-news.ops.worldnet.att.ne...

Money 2006 & Bank of America Compatibility
I posted an earlier thread regarding Bank Accounts list getting corrupted and have since isolated the problem. It appears that my symptoms happen after I set up online updates with Bank of America. I tried creating new files and setting up multiple bank accounts and whenever I add Bank of America, I start getting the condition posted in my earlier thread. Basically what happens is the Bank Account list when condensed and then expanded again using the "plus sign icon" shows the first account repeated multiple times. It is repeated the same number as the total number of bank...

remove read only
Seeking to save project on cd-rw but after copying the file it only saves in read. I want to be able to work on the project from the cd. Can anyone help? Tips, don't ever work on a cd, floppy etc unless you want to end up with a corrupt workbook, use these for moving files, then copy to hd, work, then put back on removable media. Excel creates a lot of tmp files in tmp directories and then deletes them. This usually gets screwed up when working on a CD etc. -- Regards, Peo Sjoblom Northwest Excel Solutions Portland, Oregon "ExcelNovice" <ExcelNovice@discus...

Office X & Windows Office Compatibility
I am an instructor for a local college. My courses are provided in an asynchronous, online delivery format. The entire system is Windows-based. One student has a Mac and wishes to use Office X for his assignments. Are the resulting files at all compatible? Is it an unnatural act to expect this to work? How much effort is required to make this work? Any nuances to be aware of regarding Word & Excel? ....thanks...Joe T. On 08-25-2003 7:53 AM, in article 0a9001c36b07$dca0ba90$a101280a@phx.gbl, "Joe Touchette" <jtouchet@us.ibm.com> wrote: > I am an instructor for a loca...