Comparing two numbers

I am trying to figure out how to compare two numbers (that are
constantly changing in value) to see if they meet a particular ratio
and then pick the smallest of that original number to be carried
forward.

I have tried nesting If statements but end up with "False" answers
instead of 0 sometimes.

This is the type of data I am tring to compare along with the
conditions that must be met.

Example 1.

a.   166.00
b.    97.00

First condition:  If B>=1/3A
Second condition:  If B meets first condition then B must be larger
than C.
Third condition If B meets second condition then C is carried forward
to the cell.
If B< 1/3A then 0 should be placed in the cell.

The problem occurs when the numbers get switched around.  If the number
order stayed the same, I could use an If statement.  But the numbers
will come in any combination for example:

Example 2.
d.  500          I need this one to end up with 500 being carried
forward
e.  550

Example 3
f.   100          This one will have 0 carried forward
                      g.   600

Example 4
h.   250         This one will have 250 carried forward.
i.    750

I am stumped.  I have looked through every help option and blog I could
find.  I would appreciate help.  Thanks in advance.

Carrie

0
chughes (1)
3/30/2006 3:38:52 PM
excel 39879 articles. 2 followers. Follow

Carrie,
You might simplify the problem by making two additional columns, where
one column has the greater of the two and the other column has the
lesser.

If your numbers are in A1 and B1, then C1 could be =max(a1,b1) and D1
could be min(a1,b1).

That ought to simplify the if statement you're looking for.

Where is the number lock key on my HP Pavilion zv 6000???????????
See subject question........ On Sat, 5 Jun 2010 00:14:32 -0700, deacongary <deacongary@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >See subject question........ See pages 1-14 and 1-15 in the Maintenance and Service Guide that you can find here http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c00364919.pdf Hope this helps / Lars-�ke fn+num lk "Lars-Åke Aspelin" wrote: > On Sat, 5 Jun 2010 00:14:32 -0700, deacongary > <deacongary@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: > > >See subject question........ > > > See pages 1-14 and 1-1...

compare
Hello everyone, I have been reading this group for a while, however I am quite a rookie in using of excel. I would appreciate if someone could help with this issue. I quite often have to compare two sheets (from different workbooks-files, but with the same sheet name). Calculations are thus updated time by time and I need to check where were the main differences. Cells contain both values and formulas. I have found through this newsgroup nice add-ins of Myrna Larson and Bill Manville, and Rob Bruce. However I would need the macros to highlight only significant differences (let's say fro...

How to make two codes "Worksheet_Change" work together in same sheet code page
Friends, Please, anybody knows how to make these two VB codes work together? When I put them together in the same "sheet code page" in VBA, th second one doesn't work. Why? *** Code 1 *** Private Sub Worksheet_Change(ByVal Target As Range) * * On Error GoTo QuitCode * * If Intersect(Target, Range("c1:c15")) Is Nothing Then * * * * Exit Sub * * ElseIf Target.Value <>*"" And Target.Offset(0, -1).Value = "" Then * * * * MsgBox "You haven't typed the name of the client yet." * * * * Target.Offset(0, -1).Activate End If QuitCode: ...

Two Email Accounts not able to reply out of one of them
Hello All, I was wondering if someone here has ran into this problem. I currently have two email accounts setup in Exchange I can receive email in both of these accounts and view the email in Outlook 2003. In my default account if I receive an email I can reply back. But in my secondary mailbox if I receive an email I cannot reply back I get a error message which is listed below. On the secondary account I have added my username under permissions and gave it full access but I am still getting the below error. Anything will help thanks. Your message did not reach some or all of the inten...

Comparing
I have two columns of numbers column A could be up to 3500 rows. Column B may be more or less than 3500 rows. What I'm trying to do is see if any number in columns "B" appears anywhere in Column "A", and if so we can just highlight it in both columns. Actually I would want to be able to sort by highlighted. so maybe add someway to sort by matched or unmatched. I hope this makes sense. In column C put... =IF(ISNA(VLOOKUP($A1,$B:$B,1,FALSE)),"Not in B","In B") In column D put... =IF(ISNA(VLOOKUP($B1,$A:$A,1,FALSE)),"Not in ...

Two databases or one
Hi, What if you have two organizations and you plan to design a database to do the same task but within that task, the defined tables will vary because of unique qualities related to the individual organization. Would it be best to create separate databases for each organization or keep the two organizations together? Anyone know the guidelines related to this? Thanks for any feedback. Ask yourself this - How often will you need the combined data? -- Build a little, test a little. "AccessKay" wrote: > Hi, > > What if you have two o...

How do I insert the degree symbol in a column of numbers?
I have a column of numbers on the format ddmm.mmm and would like to insert a degree symbol after the dd. I can do it one cell at a time. Can I do the whole column at once somehow? Try this, JKB: http://www.officearticles.com/misc/symbols_and_characters_in_microsoft_office.htm ******************* ~Anne Troy www.OfficeArticles.com www.MyExpertsOnline.com "JKB" <JKB@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:AF3C8E29-68E2-47E1-8889-69070B1B4D62@microsoft.com... > I have a column of numbers on the format ddmm.mmm and would like to insert a > degree symbol after th...

how to create formula to divide two rows autoaatically
Is there any way to setup a sheet or create a formula so that it will divide the data in column A by Column B anytime the data is entered and put it into columnC ? What I am trying to do is create a spreadsheet for calculating fuel MPG. So I have columns as miles, gallons and the calculation as MPG. What I want to do is anytime a value is entered into miles and gallons, to calculate mpg and put it into that respective cell. Is there any way I can do this ? Thanks -- Tony Tony, in Column C, type the formula =sum(a1/b1). This should give you the result you are looking for. Hop...

2 workbooks
I have got 2 workbooks with a list of names. I need to find out if a name appears in both books. One of the workbooks came from a different source and the other one is a report I ran from our database. I need to find out whether the workbook from out of the company has got any of our own names on it. I am using Microsoft Excel 97 and am fairly new at this so please be gentle. One way I did think was to combine the two workbooks into one and find the duplicates but thought there may be another way. Thank you. Hi "queen on", Assume that In book1 the names are in column A, s...

Conver "Text" into "Numbers"
-- Allen Phailat Wongakanit ...

Compare two files and update data from another file base on words in a cell separated by commas
I have two file with several colomns. I need to compare two Col B fileA Col B of FileB as shown in example. http://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?key=0AgUVfFOnkiaKdFBiNDFLamcybXdhW... Each col have about 1000 rows. Each row contains thousands of words and phrases separated by Comma. As you can see from example, my data has soo many words and phrases separated by comma in each row of two colomn A and B. ============== i Need to merge data of corresponding row from COLA$FileB TO corresponding row of COLA$FileB Also merge data of corresponding row from COLB$FileB TO correspondin...

differences between two tables
I'm trying to find the differences between two tables, A and B. There are some records in A that are not in B, there are some in B that are not in A, and there are some in both but with differences in the fields. I'm not getting everything. Does anyone have any ideas how I can tackle this? Thanks! Use a UNION ALL query. -- KARL DEWEY Build a little - Test a little "denise" wrote: > I'm trying to find the differences between two tables, A and B. There are > some records in A that are not in B, there are some in B that are not in A, > and there are s...

two tables with same field names
I create an order status table for my division each week by running queries on corporate's systems. The field names are always the same, and there lies my problem. I need to measure the change in promise dates weekly to the order line level. For example, I need to pull last monday's promise date minus this monday's promise date to get the change in number of days. Post your table structure so a query can be assembled. -- KARL DEWEY Build a little - Test a little "deb" wrote: > I create an order status table for my division each week by running queries > o...

Creating independant Arrays of sequential numbers
I need to create several named arrays of sequential numbers in excel The microsoft artical http://support.microsoft.com/kb/75834 "Returning an Array of Sequential Numbers in Excel" and a few others on the web have methods to do this but require a range of cell be established. I could do that and then refer a name to the range but I would rather have a stand alone named range with the array. For example the reference would be in a name would be like: ={1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9} Is ther a way to generate this without having to type out the numbers? On Mon, 26 Sep 2011 13:17:52 -0700 (PDT)...

Why does Outlook open two windows?
When installed Outlook 2003 with a new profile about two hours ago, it would open one window each time I started Outlook. But now, after I've been doing a lot of work on the folder structure, particularly transferring dozens of folders by drag and drop within a single non-default PST file. I notice that the computer has been very noisy for a while, apparently furiously coping with the changes I've been making. Now when I start Outlook, it opens two windows; presumably that's an outcome of something I inadvertently did when transferring all the folders. I'd rather it ...

Referencing two (or more) cell values in formula
Hi, Can anyone tell me the correct syntax for referencing two cells as a criterion in a formula. For example if I want to sum cells in b1:b5 if cells a1:a5 are greater than the value in c2 I would write the following: =sumif(a1:a5,">"&c2,b1:b5) If I want to sum b1:b5 if cells in a1:a5 are greater than the value in c2 and less than c3 what should I write? =sumif(a1:a5,and(">"&c2,"<"&c3),b1:b5) this doesn't work and neither does this.... =sumif(a1:a5,and(>c2,<c3),b1:b5). Any help gratefully received. Thanks, Will willcull@...

I need to compare to columns and indicate the matches in another
am wanting to compare 2 columns for exact matching. If there are two matching items I want to be able to say "A match" in a chosen cell for all the ones that match. Column C will be retrived in an random order... so how would I write the formula for that????? Example: A B C 45time 11tune A match 11tune 89time 47doog 43jkjkj A match 123ABC 123ABC If possible include how to highlight the ones that make as another option. Thanks Try something like this: For a value list in B1:B5 and a ...

Number of copies when printing
Can anybody help...? We are currently printing off a form that has been duplicated many times to obtain answers to many questions in a way of collecting clients requirements. The problem is that whenever we print the form with the answers, the default setting is 10 copies. This is not the default setting on the printer and all other documents from word, outlook etc, print just one copy. Is there a setting somewhere within the excel file that is forcing the 10 copies...? We did not generate the form originally and the company who did are unable to answer our question. Any help would be app...

page numbers #3
how do i change the number of the first page from the default "1"? is it possible to change from arabic to latin numerals??? Depending on which version of Publisher you have, it is either Tools > Options or Insert > Section -- ...

Advice on comparing data sets
Hi, Can anyone advise on how I can compare data on 1 sheet with dat compared on another. Example attached. I want to be able to show that whenever the UK is shown (can appea multiple times) on this sheet it checks on sheet2 and enter th corresponding band value in this case for the UK (show in cells B6, B8 will show band A SHEET1 Ref Country Band 1 UK 2 Germany 3 UK 4 France 5 Italy SHEET2 Country Band UK A GERMANY B ITALY B FRANCE D SWEDEN D DENMARK E As always thanks for your help. Simo +------------------------------------------------------------------- |Filename: ...

counting part numbers
Hello everyone- I would like excel to count how many same part numbers i have and list them. Such as P/N 11222=20, P/N 11333=30. Any suggestions? thx ...

comparing cell
i have a spreadsheet that contain a column of name (some the same and some not) and would like to place each name in a row acroos the top of the same spreadsheet. Smith Jones Brown Smith Smith Brown Smith Jones Jones Smith Brown Hi Stanley First insert a heading above your column of names. Then Data>Filter>Advanced Filter mark the source as your column of names. Choose copy to another location and choose a detination cell on the sheet. Select Unique values only. Having got a unique list of names, copy this list and Paste Special>Transpo...

Sort Last 4 Numbers of SSN
I'm using Access 2003. My organization is having a problem getting our member’s SSN. I need to know if we only enter the last 4 numbers of a member's SSN do we already have duplicates. I do not know how to setup a query that will sort only the last 4 numbers. When you have 2500 members, SSN's were how we kept track of our members, especially females who changed their last names and do not let us know. The USPS is replacing SSN with Employee Identification Numbers (EIN). In some instances we get our member's complete SSN, the last 6 numbers, the last 4 numbers, their EIN...

two if conditions, then a counta formula issue
I need the formula which will do the following: If sheet1A3:A1000=70 and if sheet1B3:B1000="OCT, then COUNTA(sheet1C3:C1000), it worked once and can't get it to work again. =IF('sheet1'!$A$3:$A200=70,IF('sheet1'!$B$3:$B200="OCT",COUNTA('sheet1'!C3:C200),"")) Try: =IF(AND(Sheet1!$A$3:$A200=70,Sheet1!$B$3:$B200="OCT"),COUNTA(Sheet1!C3:C200),"") "Jeanette" wrote: > I need the formula which will do the following: If sheet1A3:A1000=70 and if > sheet1B3:B1000="OCT, then COUNTA(sheet1C3:C...

Compare and delete row
I need some help - I need to compare a cell, let's say A1, that wil contain a date. I need Excel to compare it to today's date, if it i over 60 days, I need it to go ahead and delete that row. If not, I nee it to leave alone. Thanks in advanc -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com Try this Sub test() If IsDate(Range("a1")) = True Then If Range("a1").Value > Date + 60 Then Range("a1").EntireRow.Delete End If End Sub -- Regards Ron de Bruin http://www.rondebruin.nl "intheway >" <<intheway.176s7x@excelforum-nospam.c...