Combing Cell Values

Hello,

Need some help with combing cell values. I know that =value(a1&b1) example.

Cell A1 = 1
Cell B1= 3

Output =13

But if A1 has a text value such as ABC, I get an error on output. With text
and numeric, how do you combine?

Thanks JR

0
gaspower1 (2)
1/4/2004 3:36:50 PM
excel 39879 articles. 2 followers. Follow

try leaving out value

--
Don Guillett
SalesAid Software
"JR" <gaspower@nothing.sbcglobal.net> wrote in message
> Hello,
>
> Need some help with combing cell values. I know that =value(a1&b1)
example.

> Cell A1 = 1
> Cell B1= 3
>
> Output =13
>
> But if A1 has a text value such as ABC, I get an error on output. With
text
> and numeric, how do you combine?
>
> Thanks JR

0
Don
1/4/2004 3:41:35 PM
try this

=a1&b1

---

Ignore Blank cells
I have a data series of fixed cells for product categories (eg. a,b,c,d,e,f) which will not always have values relating to them, but are required to retrieve data from different customers. Is it possible to get a chart to ignore the data series if the value cells are blank. This will hopefully allow for data retrieval from multiple customers, but charts will be created with only relevant data. Thanks in advance Derek You might try sorting the chart data before creating a chart, sortin first on the cell(s) that may be empty, then by your primary key -- crispb -----------------------...

Protectected cell ignore
How do I prevent the warning message appearing when trying to alter a protected cell. You could have a macro that does the protecting--put it in your auto_open or workbook_open event: Option Explicit Sub auto_open() With Worksheets("sheet1") .Protect Password:="hi" .EnableSelection = xlUnlockedCells End With End Sub Excel won't remember this setting after you close it and reopen the workbook (that's why it's in auto_open). Anthony Byrne wrote: > > How do I prevent the warning message appearing when trying to alter a protected ...

How to Paste Clipboard into a single cell
It is possible to past the entire contents of the clipbioard into a single cell in an excel spreadsheet? In my case, the clipboard could contain multiple line of text. CTL-V always puts each line in separate cells. I can't see anything in paste special to help Thanks, Bill Try pasting directly into the formula bar. Bill wrote: > > It is possible to past the entire contents of the > clipbioard into a single cell in an excel spreadsheet? > In my case, the clipboard could contain multiple line of > text. CTL-V always puts each line in separate cells. I > can't s...

Need macro to auto delete selected cells
OK, here's the deal. I work with a large spreadsheet that evaluates how drilling crews do on each well. The sheets are set up with lots of lines for data entry. Not all the lines get used and need to be deleted. his is easly accomplished by selecting the range and delete>shift cells up. However, some of the rig crews will delete the rows, which removes some other data stored to the right. Is there a macro that will delete a select range of cells if a particular cell is empty? TIA.....Doc ------------------------------------------------ ~~ Message posted from http://www.ExcelTi...

protecting only a few cells???? #2
Hello Peter, yes that will work... but it also means that I cann't use the worksheet as I should. The locked cells cann't be changed allright, but also I cannot expand group of rows anymore, etc. I need to lock cells that contain data sent on a bill, so the dat should not be changable after sending the bill. The rest of th worksheet should be as open and usable as always. Or is there something else I should know? -- fren ----------------------------------------------------------------------- frens's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=1505...

Change the value of a text box in Form
Hi. I have a textbox named PseudoCLLI that and i want this Auto-generated suggested value equal to the ShortCLLI. How do i do this? PLUS, it is suggested meaning i can overwrite what's there. emerlita@shaw.ca wrote: > Hi. > > I have a textbox named PseudoCLLI that and i want this Auto-generated > suggested value equal to the ShortCLLI. How do i do this? PLUS, it is > suggested meaning i can overwrite what's there. In the AfterUpdate event of the ShortCLLI TextBox... Me.PseudoCLLI = Me.ShortCLLI -- Rick Brandt, Microsoft Access MVP Email (as appropriate) to... RBra...

general cell question
I know that you can place the name of the file (&[File]) into the header and footer of a worksheet. But is it possible to do the same into a cell? If so, how would it be done? *** John John, try this =MID(LEFT(CELL("filename", A1), FIND("]", CELL("filename", A1))-1),FIND("[", CELL("filename",A1))+1, 255) -- Paul B Always backup your data before trying something new Please post any response to the newsgroups so others can benefit from it Feedback on answers is always appreciated! Using Excel 2000 & 97 ** remove news from my email...

Split Cell into the cell
Hello people how can i split a cell in half A 1 Tom 2 dick/harry (break dick and harry) Thanks Raj To separate the two into two different columns, try......... Data > TextToColumns > using / as the delimiter.......... Vaya con Dios, Chuck, CABGx3 "Raj" <Raj@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:159CD0DF-13E0-40A9-8CDA-3258B842BF34@microsoft.com... > Hello people how can i split a cell in half > > A > 1 Tom > 2 dick/harry (break dick and harry) > > Thanks > Raj ...

Removing empty space character in cell
I've got empty space in my records (ie "abcd ', "efgh " etc) I have tried to use the find and replace but this is not working I have also attempted to run an update query to update the cell from "abcd " to "abcd" but when i do this it just takes out the info and replaces with a '0'. I am not sure if i have the update to set incorrectly or what. i have: "SET myfield"=Replace("myfield"," ","") On Fri, 18 Dec 2009 09:55:01 -0800, Booth wrote: > I've got empty space in my records (i...

can i link a cell to a calendar so it will auto update
i am trying to get a cell to change font color when it passes a certain date Format > Conditional Formatting, Cell value is greater than [date] Select Format and change text color to desired color "paulyoung666" wrote: > i am trying to get a cell to change font color when it passes a certain date ...

format cells #6
I have solved this so it is just my curiosity at play here. Using someone else's sheet, I entered a formula (=D235/80) into a cell expecting a numeric result not realizing that the cell was formatted as Text (so I got to see the formula as text). So I changed the cell format to Number with 4 places. To my surprise, the cell still displayed the formula. I looked for a leading ' or space but there was none. Retyping the formula produced the result I expected in the first place. What is going on? TIA Len ______________________________________________________ Changing the forma...

Storing Calculated Values in a Table -- BAD IDEA?
I have read multiple threads regarding storing calculated values in tables. I do acknowledge that it is generally a BAD IDEA to try to store calculated values in tables. I have also seen that sometimes it can be okay to do this in certain circumstances. I am soliciting advice for a project I am working on. I have built a "Margin/Revenue Calculator" that allows a user to input various costs and determine what revenue is necessary to acheive a certain margin, or see what margin a certain revenue will generate. Before going further, I must state that none of these calculations are...

Formulas don't work in certain cells
I am entering data into a budget spreadsheet and am doing simple Su formulas to add up the column above it, or to divide a cell value by certain number of square feet, etc. In certain cells, I put in th right formula (they're easy so I know they are right) and hit enter and the cell either has a dash in it, or a zero. No matter what I do cannot get the cell to give me the right answer. Please help I a pulling my hair out. By the way, these budgets were converted a coupl of years ago from Lotus and have just kept being modified since. thanks, Jorda -- kalik24 --------------------...

copying cells as seen
Hi all, I have a cell that is formatted as such (minus the quotes): "Calls have been made: Last call made: 9/19/2005 8:30 PM Last call received: 9/19/2005 9:03 PM" I used Alt-Enter to create the new lines; I need to be able to copy this cell onto a notepad file (manually copied, no scripts involved); however, when I copy the cell and paste it into notepad, I get little squared-boxes where the line breaks are supposed to be. I tried pasting it here, and it formats correctly, with the line-breaks; what am I doing wrong? Please advise. "Calls have been made:<box>&...

RE:Combing Pivot and Non-Pivot datasets for 2-axis charts.
Hello I've created a 2-axis Pivot chart. The 1st axis will set the data from my Pivot table, however how can I set the data from the second axes to come from a NON-PIVOT TABLE? In other words I need to know how to select data from two different table - 1 Pivot and 1 Non-Pivot data. Kind regards Jaspal singh Dhuga You can do this using a non-pivot chart. Create a chart of the non-pivot table data. Then go to Chart menu > Source Data > Series tab, and one-by-one add the series that use pivot table data. - Jon ------- Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP Tutorials and Custom Solutio...

Pass value to multiple reports
I have a series of reports that need to print at the same time, each of which has a field that displays the date for which the report is intended. All the reports need to have the same date, but that date needs to be able to be chosen by the user. The problem is that I can't use the OpenArgs capability because this particular system is running MS Office 2000. On my systems with Access 2003 I used the following code: Public Sub OpenMealLists() Dim intAns As Integer Dim strAnsDate As String Dim dteDate As Date intAns = MsgBox("Is This Dining List For Today ?",...

Please help! Displaying only rows with empty cells in a numeric field using Advanced Filter. Thanks
Folks I am learning how to use the Advanced Filter (Menus: Data, Filter, Advanced Filter). I can’t use Autofilter because in some cases I have to look for records that have to meet more than 2 conditions in the same field Some of the fields in the list that I am trying to filter have only numeric values. One of the conditions I am trying to define would allow me to filter the list exposing those rows in a numeric field that are blank (empty cells containing no data). I have tried using the following wildcard and formula combinations� <>* , =C11="" and <g … in the criter...

How to hide values in a running balance untill new data is entere.
I'm trying to make a spreadsheet to keep track of the miles I bike and the total time. For each of these, I made a running balance. The entire range displays the total. I would like to hide the displayed future totals untill a new value is entered for that particular day. example: miles total 1 1 2 3 3 3 3 I don't want to see all those 3's until I input...

Cell programming
Is there a way in excel to type in conditional statements in a cell block to determine font type and color? EG: if (balance > 0) font = green; else (if balance = 0) font = black; else font = red; This would be useful for using excel as a ledger for balancing accounts. Any help would greatly be appreciated. Aaron Take a look at Conditional Formatting in XL Help. In article <81f1e5dc.0309301256.255b0318@posting.google.com>, top88keys@yahoo.com (Aaron Toponce) wrote: > Is there a way in excel to type in conditional statements in a cell > block to determine font type ...

How to paste a cells row from Excel to a PowerPoint 2003 Table row?
Hello! How to paste a row of cells from Excel to a PowerPoint 2003 Table row? PowerPoint 2003 pastes all the row cells values in every cell in the row in the PowerPoint table if I select the row in the PP table before the pasting. PP pastes the row as an overlapping column if I place cursor in the first cell of the target row before pasting. Best regards, Dima +7 9163876746 +7 9035093892 ...

Unlocking cell when a certain value is entered in another cell
Can you have a cell "unlock/unprotect" when a value is entered in another. Ex. Using Cells A1 and A2. A2 is locked. But when "PO" is entered in A1, i want A2 to except user input. But if any other value (including in it is blank) is present in A1, I want A2 to remain locked -- emeryj ------------------------------------------------------------------------ emeryj's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=30806 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=504652 You can use Data Validation to accomplish thi...

Cannot select a cell or range
Hi, I have a couple of large workbooks that have the same problem. When a cell is clicked the contents is displayed in the formula bar but the cell is not selected, no black line around etc. There is no crash according to the task manager but I can only close it using the task manager. If I open the worekbook using the repair option it is ok for a short time then the same happens again. Any suggestions gratefully received. Thanks Rod Hi, It sounds like it corrupt but before trying to fix it, try turning recalculation on Manual and see if that helps. Tools, Options, Calculation, Manual...

What does DoubleClick on a cell do?
Hello everyone, does anybody know what does exactly DoubleClick on a cell do and how to apply this action on a selection of cells? I have a column formated as GENERAL. At the same time I need to make part of that column TEXT. I use single quote (') in front of value to let Excel know that it is TEXT type. I use formula to put single quotes (') into required cells. However, Excel doesn't accept the single quote (') as a control symbol untill I double-click on the cell. I need to repeat this double-click for each cell. Is there any way to apply this action (double-click ) on ...

Is it possible to enter more than 255 characters in a cell
Is it possible to have more than 255 characters in a cell. I know that the limit is 1024 but I want to be able to see and print all of the characters. Thanks Dajana Dajana, I think it will work if you manually enter some line breaks in the text with ALT+Enter -- Paul B Always backup your data before trying something new Please post any response to the newsgroups so others can benefit from it Feedback on answers is always appreciated! Using Excel 2002 & 2003 "Dajana" <Dajana@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:F7F6A0DF-0DA3-457B-A576-7814DBE7136D@micro...

Compare each value in a range to each value in another range
I am looking for a macro that will return a comparison of each cell in a range to each cell in another range. example. the first range would have vales of 1,2,3 and the second range would have values of 5,6,7 Thus the macro should return 9 possible comparisons: 1 & 5, 1 & 6, 1 & 7, 2 & 5, 2 & 6, 2 & 7, 3 & 5, 3 & 6, 3 & 7, Can anybody help me with this?? Just hazarding some thoughts here .. Perhaps using formulas would suffice ? Example: Assume 1st range is A1:A3, 2nd range is B1:B3. Then Compare 1st range against 2nd range I...