Column width and pasting sections in excel? Formatting questions

I am trying to make a spreadsheet in which I need to have varied column
widths in different sections, one under another.  (they don't need to relate
directly, and no major equations going on)

for example:
xxxxxxxxx|xxxxxxxxxx
xxxxxxxxx|xxxxxxxxxx
xxxxxxxxx|xxxxxxxxxx
xxxxxxx|xxxxx|xxxxxx
xxxxxxx|xxxxx|xxxxxx

How do I go about splitting the sheet or whatever I need to do so I can
manipulate columns differently based on the row I'm in?

Thanks!
Rich
excel 39879 articles. 2 followers. Follow

Column widths apply to the whole column.

You may be able to use merged cells to give the appearance that you want, but I
try to stay away from merged cells--they cause more trouble than they're
worth--in copy|pasting, sorting, ...

Can't you just leave that column empty for the rows that only have 2 columns of
data.

Or if the data is really qualitatively different, I'd use two worksheets.

--

Dave Peterson
0

Sound like you're making a form. You can't have different comlumn widths in
the same column. So here's what you can do

Design your form on paper.
Place your fields on the spreadsheet approximately where you want them.
Ignore where cells are for now, and adjust column widths to suit.
Use format cells/borders to outline the places you need.
Use tools/options/uncheck gridlines

Or you could set up a table in Word

Beege

"fractalsphere" <fractalsphere@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I am trying to make a spreadsheet in which I need to have varied column
> widths in different sections, one under another.  (they don't need to
> relate
> directly, and no major equations going on)
>
> for example:
> xxxxxxxxx|xxxxxxxxxx
> xxxxxxxxx|xxxxxxxxxx
> xxxxxxxxx|xxxxxxxxxx
> xxxxxxx|xxxxx|xxxxxx
> xxxxxxx|xxxxx|xxxxxx
>

> How do I go about splitting the sheet or whatever I need to do so I can
> manipulate columns differently based on the row I'm in?
>
> Thanks!
> Rich

Hey thanks for the reply!

I ended up doing it using inserted objects (seperate excel sheets with just
the subset of altered columns) so they're little expandable imbedded
worksheets.   It serves the purpose for my needs well enough, but for a
larger strictly business oriented sheet it would be too cumbersome.

At least I learned something new.  ;-)

"Beege" wrote:

> fractal,
>
> Sound like you're making a form. You can't have different comlumn widths in
> the same column. So here's what you can do
>
> Design your form on paper.
> Place your fields on the spreadsheet approximately where you want them.
> Ignore where cells are for now, and adjust column widths to suit.
> Use format cells/borders to outline the places you need.
> Use tools/options/uncheck gridlines
>
> Or you could set up a table in Word
>
> Beege
>

> "fractalsphere" <fractalsphere@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >I am trying to make a spreadsheet in which I need to have varied column
> > widths in different sections, one under another.  (they don't need to
> > relate
> > directly, and no major equations going on)
> >
> > for example:
> > xxxxxxxxx|xxxxxxxxxx
> > xxxxxxxxx|xxxxxxxxxx
> > xxxxxxxxx|xxxxxxxxxx
> > xxxxxxx|xxxxx|xxxxxx
> > xxxxxxx|xxxxx|xxxxxx
> >

> > How do I go about splitting the sheet or whatever I need to do so I can
> > manipulate columns differently based on the row I'm in?
> >
> > Thanks!
> > Rich

Charting using Stacked Column Graph
Excel 2002... I think I posted this in the wrong place before. I'm trying to chart a series that is comprised of 5 - 3 number groups. I can chart the first group, but when I try to add the next series, it stacks them onto the existing columns rather than make 3 new ones. The data looks like this (simplified): A1 A2 A3 B1 B2 B3 1-10 .01 .03 .58 .023 .025 .023 11-15 .012 .025 .025 .024 .588 .280 16-20 .012 .255 .158 .024 .254 .241 I get a nice chart with A1-A3...but can't add B1-B3 next to it. Help me, please. Thanks, Gre...

Excel Headers
Hello All, Hope all is clicking good. Excel allows a user to create a header but the header is only displayed when printing and is also very limited in function. I am trying to create an Excel document that devoted the first seven rows to a header and then remaining thousands of rows to a list of data. I.e.: HEADER Name: blah Date: 03/03/03 Time: 12:24:03 Title: Excel problem Procedure 1) ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ 2) ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ 3) ~~~~~~~~~~~ TABLE Symbol Name Description Price ----------- -------- --------------- -------- MSFT Microsoft A big giant $23.22 AAPL Ap...

Search columns on multiple worksheets
In a workbook I have a worksheet for each month of the year. How would I be able to automatically determine whether the entry currently being made has been entered in the same column previously on any of the worksheets? (Similar to “Find” under Edit) If so, would it be possible to indicate the previously entered data by highlighting each duplicate cell? I suggest you start with Chip's site www.cpearson.com which has lots about duplicates Then come back with more detailed question best wishes -- Bernard V Liengme Microsoft Excel MVP http://people.stfx.ca/bliengme remove caps fro...

optional column required in datasheet view
I have a document library with two content types. I have changed all columns for both content types to optional. One content type is link to a document, for which URL is required by default. I have changed it to optional. The other content type is document. URL is not used in that content type. When I bulk edit items in datasheet, though, I can't save my changes without putting data in the URL column for documents, even though the column is not used in that content type and is set as optional. I even tried making URL optional at the site content type level and the datashee...

Excel Sorting Problem #2
I am trying to sort out my league table in order of points (P) bu everytime i select my cells (H15:P25) and then go data|sort|by (P Descending he screen flickers but they dont sort in order of points They just stay where they where before. Can anyone help ??? i can also send you the workbook if you want ?? Mny Thanks Benn bc1987@ntlworld.co -- cassy0 ----------------------------------------------------------------------- cassy01's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=78 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=31879 Benn, ...

excel #115
is it possible to retrieve data from an unsaved excel spreadshee... Do you mean after you've closed it? Then no. If the unsaved workbook is open, you can always create a link to that workbook in another workbook. myshell wrote: > > is it possible to retrieve data from an unsaved excel spreadshee... -- Dave Peterson ...

Text to columns #2
Is there a way to have a worksheet automatically change to delimite text to columns when it opens? Thanks all, Vat -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com Vato If I understand you correctly, simply record yourself doing it once and then re-run the code in future -- HTH Nick Hodge Microsoft MVP - Excel Southampton, England nick_hodgeTAKETHISOUT@zen.co.uk.ANDTHIS "Vato Loco >" <<Vato.Loco.182h63@excelforum-nospam.com> wrote in message news:Vato.Loco.182h63@excelforum-nospam.com... > Is there a way to have a worksheet automatically change to delimited &...

How do I open excel docs in xp home edition, thanks
Hi I have transferred some old excel documents onto my new computer which runs on windows xp home edition but I am unable to open them, is there a way to do this, Thanks Do you have Excel installed on the new computer? Excel isn't part of Windows, so you would have had to purchase it with your new computer or purchase it separately. -- Cordially, Chip Pearson Microsoft MVP - Excel Pearson Software Consulting, LLC www.cpearson.com "rtdl16192306" <rtdl16192306@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:AD08EEA4-139E-4BCA-820F-E1BA88C3C66C@microsoft.com... &g...

multipule columns as on column
I need to create a make-table query containing 6 fields.. I have 16 fields in the original table. The first is a primary key, the next fifteen and actually three groups of five (a,b,c,d,e,a1,b1,c1,d1,e1,a2,b2,c2, d2,e2) the need to be output as a,a1,a2 into a field called last name (not concatenated), b,b1,b2 into a field called first name...etc... Does anyone have any ideas On Wed, 06 Jun 2007 16:07:31 GMT, "gz3d2h" <u34843@uwe> wrote: >I need to create a make-table query containing 6 fields.. > >I have 16 fields in the original table. The first is a primary ke...

Importing email address from column in excel sheet
Wondering how to import about 60 email addresses I have in a column in an excel spreadsheet into my address book in outlook. Or even to send one email, then navigate to the email address list without actually adding them in my address book. ...

Formated text in text type fields
Hi. I need to store html text in text fields. Could be some other field type, but I can't figure what. I say html but could be some other format. I need things like bold, underline, sub/superscript, eventually table with 6 or 8 cells. Can it be done (including screen displaying and printing)? For the moment I don't need any web application, just to store some formatting together with text. Thanks H. Martins If you are using Access 2007, you can use a Memo field with what they call "rich text." It stores and displays HTML. (Actually it's a limited subset of HTML, ...

want to add all $ in column c where column A is the same
I'm very new at Excel, and a real math dummy. I've figured out how to enter a formula when all the $ I want to add are together, but I can't figure out how to do that when I want to select only the $ values for certain items listed throughout the spreadsheet. For example: I keep a running list of Architects, their projects and $ values of each project as they are assigned. I want to automatically calculate the total current $ value for each Architect without having to sort them in order, or create a separate table for each architect. Can I do that? Here's what th...

Custom Date Format #2
When working with data from a spreadsheet which originated from a much earlier version of Excel (Excel95, I believe), which I'm now trying to use with Excel 2003. I'm having trouble with the formatting of the date being interpreted as a formula and forcing an equals sign "=" to appear next to the data. When the file is first opened, the original data appears correctly. However, after editing the data in the field and pressing the 'enter' key, the date displayed on the sheet shows "00-Jan-00". When I use the arrow keys to go back up to that parti...

can I put a stacked column next to a solid column
I am trying to graph some information and can't figure out how to place a solid column that references one number next to a stacked column that references two numbers. Maybe a better question is can I put two stacked columns righ next to eachother? Hi, Have a look at the links on Jon Peltier's page. http://peltiertech.com/Excel/ChartsHowTo/ClusterStack.html Cheers Andy RobXCSP wrote: > I am trying to graph some information and can't figure out how to place a > solid column that references one number next to a stacked column that > references two numbers. Maybe a...

Moving shapes around excel using vba
Hi guys can you help? I've written some code to move a shape around a square path using the row and column numbers to denote when the shape should change direction. However I've come a bit stuck! The little red circle moves around 3/4 of the square but then pops up with an error. Here's the code where the problem occurs: With activesheet.shapes("RedDot") For i = 1 to 16*d Select Case range("A1").value case "down" .top = .top - .topleftcell.offset(-i).height more stuff..... case "left" ...

Group DB columns to be used in pivot table
Hi, I have the following problems to prepare the DB. I need to create a Pivot Table and my source DB is Excel. Headings go from Column A to AT, but only columns A to N will be used to play around with the pivot, while columns O to AT are only to input values. How can I: 1) Transform the many columns O to AT in one field called Product so that once placed into the Column part of the Pivot I can see all the headings from O to AT 2) How to make all the O to AT cells active so that the user can enter values and see the changes or analyse using the A to N fields? Examle: A B C D E F G H I...

how do i change column labels back to letters? currently columns.
when i opened excel this evening, i found that columns and rows are both labeled with numbers. How do I relabel the columns alphabetically so that I can use formulas? thanks Click Tools > Options > General tab Uncheck "R1C1 reference style" > OK -- Rgds Max xl 97 --- GMT+8, 1� 22' N 103� 45' E xdemechanik <at>yahoo<dot>com ---- "slthompson" <slthompson@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:2DF283F7-A345-46E9-AD0C-148B8BDC200B@microsoft.com... > when i opened excel this evening, i found that columns and rows are both &g...

Count Unique text in 3 different columns
Hi, I saw a few formulas that adds Unique records when is numbers, but I have a spreasheet which I need to count the Unique records (Names) taken into consideration three diffrent columns, example; Column A Column B Column C DC&D aagis Ternure DC&D aagis Ternure DC&D adamk New Hire DC&D adamk New Hire DC&D adasilva New Hire DC&D adasilva New Hire DC&D vdafons Ternure DC&D AMPATA Ternure DC&D AMPATA Ternure DC&D AMPATA Ternure DC&D AMPATA Ternure AIO Ashaw New Hire AIO Ashaw New Hire AIO Ashaw New Hire AIO Ashaw New Hire AIO A...

Multi-value field filter question using strFilter
Currently I have a form that has some list boxes. One of the list boxes is a multi-value multi-select and i'm having a bit of trouble getting it to work with my strfilter. Currently my code looks like this: ------------------------------- Private Sub Command28_Click() If Me.lstpayment.ItemsSelected.Count = 1 Then strFilter = strFilter & "[payment_type] = '" & Me!lstpayment & "' And " End If If Me.lststore.ItemsSelected.Count = 1 Then strFilter = strFilter & "[store_name] = '" & Me!lststore & "'...

hide a column
hi can u help me with this what i want is that if in a column there is written "Blank" a comman that hides that particular column plz help me with thi -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com Hi try the following macro (looks in row 1 for this word 'Blank') Sub hide_columns() Dim ColNdx As Long application.screenupdating=False For ColNdx = 1 to 256 If Cells(1, ColNdx).Value = "Blank" Then Columns(ColNdx).hidden = True End If Next ColNdx application.screenupdating=True End Sub -- Regards Frank Kabel Frankfurt, Germany >...

display total in stacked column chart
Using Windows XP and Office 2007 To make it simple to explain, I'll make up a sample stacked column chart and maybe someone can help me. Let's assume I have taken attendance in a particular class over the last 5 years and I have that attendance information broken down into males and females. So I have a data table that has the year in Column A, the number of males in attendance in Column B, the number of females in attendance in Column C, and the total attendance in Column D. I created a stacked column chart with the information from Columns B and C so that my stacked column...

Powerpoint loses excel links when presentation is sent out via ema
I have a powerpoint presentation with links to an excel file which works perfectly from the folder in which it is stored. However, I need to send the presentation and the excel spreadsheet that the information is linked from via email to external people. Even if they save both the presentation and the excel file in the same folder, the links don't work and I cannot expect them to reset up all the links. Any ideas how I can get around this? Thanks Silhouette In article <26EF1FD9-398A-41AB-A546-D044DF11C45B@microsoft.com>, Silhouette17 wrote: > I have ...

Moving a column
How do i move a Vertical column over to the right & have the information move with it ? -- Dell Inspiron Pentium dual-core 2.2 GHz 2 GB DDR2 SDRAM Windows Vista Home Premium SP1 One way: select the column header (usually a letter at the top) Rightclick on that selection And select insert desgnr wrote: > > How do i move a Vertical column over to the right & have the information > move with it ? > > -- > Dell Inspiron > Pentium dual-core 2.2 GHz > 2 GB DDR2 SDRAM > Windows Vista Home Premium SP1 -- Dave Peterson Clic...

Separating data in a column
the spreadsheet i am working on has 1 column with 2 possible answers, i.e. yes/no. what i need to do is separate the replies and then total the yes replies in another cell and also total no replies in a different cell. How do i do it? The following COUNTIF function can be used =COUNTIF($A$1:$A$21,"yes") The sort or data filter command can be used to separate the replies. "Gemgirl" wrote: > the spreadsheet i am working on has 1 column with 2 possible answers, i.e. > yes/no. what i need to do is separate the replies and then total the yes > replie...

Gantt Chart Import Invalid Column Error
Trying to import an Excel table into the Gantt Chart in Visio. The Finish date works fine, but every time I try to map the Start date, I get an "Invalid Column Format" error. Tried changing the format of the Start date field, and it doesn't change anything. Excel 2007 Visio 2007 SP2 and 2010 Beta, both with the same issue. Any suggestions? some people have luck with exporting a file from Visio first, then using that as a dummy file to enter data into and import back. I also found that visio chokes on blank date fields. ...