Column width and pasting sections in excel? Formatting questions

I am trying to make a spreadsheet in which I need to have varied column
widths in different sections, one under another.  (they don't need to relate
directly, and no major equations going on)

for example:
xxxxxxxxx|xxxxxxxxxx
xxxxxxxxx|xxxxxxxxxx
xxxxxxxxx|xxxxxxxxxx
xxxxxxx|xxxxx|xxxxxx
xxxxxxx|xxxxx|xxxxxx

How do I go about splitting the sheet or whatever I need to do so I can
manipulate columns differently based on the row I'm in?

Thanks!
Rich
excel 39879 articles. 2 followers. Follow

Column widths apply to the whole column.

You may be able to use merged cells to give the appearance that you want, but I
try to stay away from merged cells--they cause more trouble than they're
worth--in copy|pasting, sorting, ...

Can't you just leave that column empty for the rows that only have 2 columns of
data.

Or if the data is really qualitatively different, I'd use two worksheets.

--

Dave Peterson
0

Sound like you're making a form. You can't have different comlumn widths in
the same column. So here's what you can do

Design your form on paper.
Place your fields on the spreadsheet approximately where you want them.
Ignore where cells are for now, and adjust column widths to suit.
Use format cells/borders to outline the places you need.
Use tools/options/uncheck gridlines

Or you could set up a table in Word

Beege

"fractalsphere" <fractalsphere@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I am trying to make a spreadsheet in which I need to have varied column
> widths in different sections, one under another.  (they don't need to
> relate
> directly, and no major equations going on)
>
> for example:
> xxxxxxxxx|xxxxxxxxxx
> xxxxxxxxx|xxxxxxxxxx
> xxxxxxxxx|xxxxxxxxxx
> xxxxxxx|xxxxx|xxxxxx
> xxxxxxx|xxxxx|xxxxxx
>

> How do I go about splitting the sheet or whatever I need to do so I can
> manipulate columns differently based on the row I'm in?
>
> Thanks!
> Rich

Hey thanks for the reply!

I ended up doing it using inserted objects (seperate excel sheets with just
the subset of altered columns) so they're little expandable imbedded
worksheets.   It serves the purpose for my needs well enough, but for a
larger strictly business oriented sheet it would be too cumbersome.

At least I learned something new.  ;-)

"Beege" wrote:

> fractal,
>
> Sound like you're making a form. You can't have different comlumn widths in
> the same column. So here's what you can do
>
> Design your form on paper.
> Place your fields on the spreadsheet approximately where you want them.
> Ignore where cells are for now, and adjust column widths to suit.
> Use format cells/borders to outline the places you need.
> Use tools/options/uncheck gridlines
>
> Or you could set up a table in Word
>
> Beege
>

> "fractalsphere" <fractalsphere@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >I am trying to make a spreadsheet in which I need to have varied column
> > widths in different sections, one under another.  (they don't need to
> > relate
> > directly, and no major equations going on)
> >
> > for example:
> > xxxxxxxxx|xxxxxxxxxx
> > xxxxxxxxx|xxxxxxxxxx
> > xxxxxxxxx|xxxxxxxxxx
> > xxxxxxx|xxxxx|xxxxxx
> > xxxxxxx|xxxxx|xxxxxx
> >

> > How do I go about splitting the sheet or whatever I need to do so I can
> > manipulate columns differently based on the row I'm in?
> >
> > Thanks!
> > Rich

subtracting columns in a macro
I'm trying to subtract columns in a macro, but since the resulting file will be exported in *.csv format, I only want to subtract the rows that have data in them. Can someone tell me how to do that? Thanks so much! ...

Opening a new instance of Excel

Emailing in excel 2003 02-26-10

go to next cell and paste question
I am writing a macro that is supposed to take certain cells from a "interface" page, remove them, and paste to a string of cells o another. That is easy, but I cant figure out how to make them go t another set of cells, if the ones I recorded are filled. Example: Sub Macro1() ' ' Macro1 Macro ' Macro recorded 8/4/2004 by Lane Lacy ' ' ActiveWindow.LargeScroll ToRight:=17 ActiveWindow.ScrollColumn = 239 ActiveWindow.SmallScroll ToRight:=10 Range("IV2:IV7").Select Selection.Copy Application.CutCopyMode = False Selection.Cut Sheets("productivity&qu...

make column lists for select query.
sheet1 table1 col1_1 table1 col1_2 table1 col1_3 table1 col1_4 table1 col1_5 table1 col1_6 table2 col2_1 table2 col2_2 table2 col2_3 table2 col2_4 .... .... sheet2 table1 col1_1,col1_2,col1_3,col1_4,col1_5,col1_6, table2 col2_1,col2_2,col2_3,col2_4, .... .... I want to make column lists for some table listed in sheet1. for example, select column_lists from table1 without vba is it possible? thanks. I think you may want some dependent lists. http://www.contextures.com/xlDataVal02.html HTH, Barb Reinhardt "kang" wrote: > sheet1 > table1 col1_1 > table1 col1_2 >...

DB Emailing Questions
1) How do i format the message text of an email in Access. I used macro builder - action = sendobject. Can you use code builder? if so, please give me an idea of how the code will be like. 2) Also can i assign the email to have a recipient automatically or do i have to write it down each time? Thank you in advance. -- Message posted via AccessMonster.com http://www.accessmonster.com/Uwe/Forums.aspx/access-formscoding/201001/1 On Jan 21, 11:51=A0am, "axm0035 via AccessMonster.com" <u56602@uwe> wrote: > 1) How do i format the message text of an email in Acce...

Office XP to Office 2004 Question
Hi, I am sure this question has been asked many times, but I've never had occasion to look at Mac NGs before, so please accept my apologies. I am a Windows XP user who is contemplating the change to a Mac. I have Office XP Pro installed on my Windows machine, and I accept that I'll need to get the Mac Office (Office 2004?) when I change over. I understand that Word, Excel & Powerpoint files should migrate in a fairly straightforward manner, but I am less sure about Outlook to Entourage. (I'm assuming here that Entourage is the Mac 'equivalent' of Outlook?) I h...

Excel Crash

Excel Edit F2 button changed for Mac???

Copying conditional formating
Question: I want every cell in row 2 to have red background if its value is different than the corresponding cell in row 1. I can do this to cell A2 if in the conditional formatting field I say =A2<>A1 but when I copy the formatting (using the brush), the condition continues to be A2<>A1 and not B2<>B1 for cell B and so forth. How do I copy the conditional formatting adjusting the references like the copy cells command do? Thanks. 1) Select all relevant cells in row 2. 2) Choose "Conditional Formating" > by Formula > type: =A2<>A1 > dec...

Pie Chart Question
Hi, I am tring to make a pie chart that needs to include 2 pieces of information for one series. I have two columns of information (number and value) that relate to one person. There are 5 people all together. How do I do this? Technically possible, you might create a bar-pie chart or a pie-of-pie chart. IMO, this would be a TERRIBLE idea. Pie charts should be forgotten, IMO, because they often distort data and make it very hard to actually read the data. http://peltiertech.com/WordPress/whats-worse-than-a-pie-chart/ My recommendation would be to make a clustered chart, a ...

EXCEL TROUBLESHOOTING #2

Multiple conditional formating for one cell
I have a workbook with several sheets. Sheet1 has several hundred rows of text. Some of the same text will appear in multiple rows of Sheet1. On Sheet2 I have I have a cell that allows my users to free hand type in a keyword(s) to search for in Sheet1. This cell is also has a reference name of "Special_Char". Now comes the question..... I like to for the user to type the keywork into "Special_Char" and any or all the rows in Sheet1 that contain the keyword as part of its text to turn yellow. Is there a way to do this? Please keep in mind that the keywork i...

Chart
From: <c@c.c> Subject: Chart - Title Widths Date: Tuesday, February 03, 2004 12:43 PM Chart - Title Widths Does anyone know how to find the width of a title/axis title? ...

In Excel program shows a broken line and don't know how to get ri.

Excel Cells Contents to HTML Pages

Outlook 2002/XP Folder List view question

connect a form to excel database
I have a database in excel which lists our stock and prices etc. I would like to be able to enter a stock number on an invoice that will retrieve the details and price from my excel database. Can this be done? Excel has built in option--try data|form. If that doesn't quite work, but it's close, John Walkenbach has an enhanced dataform at: http://j-walk.com/ss/dataform/index.htm And if you want to design your own, Debra Dalgleish has a get started with userforms: http://contextures.com/xlUserForm01.html Kathy wrote: > > I have a database in excel which lists our stock and p...

Excel to check for regular expression?
Hi, How do you use Regular expression in excel? For eg: Check a column of data to see whether are all of them valid email addresses? Please advise THanks By valid, do you mean that the email is in proper syntax or that it is an actual email address. Text formulas can be used for proper syntax. Perhaps a Visual Basic proceedure. I doubt you can check that the email address actually exists, as many companies and ISPs will simply disregard and drop mail to invalid email addresses to eliminate spam "user" wrote: > Hi, > > How do you use Regular expression ...

Phone # Format
Can somebody help me with applying a format to the phone field. the default format seems to be ######### and I am looking to use (###) ###-#### Thanks in advance Dennis, I think it isn't possible at the moment. You could use the sdk and try to use postcallouts which call a webservice which puts the data in a special format and sends it back. Steffen "Dennis" <dennis_ess@hotmail.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag news:uFrmFMGNEHA.3400@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl... > Can somebody help me with applying a format to the phone field. the default > format seems to be ######### and...