colour recognition

hi guys, i may be chasing the impossible here, but here we go anyway. ive got
cells in my spreadsheet formatted so that they change colour depending on
what value is input. basically, i want to know if its possible for excel to
recognise how many cells of a certain colour i have and then display the
results numerically. is this possible?
yet again, your really helping me out and it would be greatly appreciated.
0
spotseven (6)
6/3/2007 9:06:01 PM
excel 39879 articles. 2 followers. Follow

If you're using Format|conditional formatting to color those cells, then I think
it would be easiest to just duplicate those rules in helper cells and then use
those helper cells in your calculations.

But if you really, really want (it ain't for the faint of heart!), take a look
at how Chip Pearson does it:
http://cpearson.com/excel/CFColors.htm

If your colors are changed via format|cells (probably by an event macro????),
check this page on Chip's site:
http://cpearson.com/excel/colors.htm
look for:
Counting Cells With A Specific Color

--

Dave Peterson
0

If you can't use one of the  COUNTing functions to identify cells by the values
you used to CF them, you can go to Chip Pearson's site for code to identify CF
coloring.

http://www.cpearson.com/excel/CFColors.htm

Gord Dibben  MS Excel MVP

On Sun, 3 Jun 2007 14:06:01 -0700, spotseven
<spotseven@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>hi guys, i may be chasing the impossible here, but here we go anyway. ive got
>cells in my spreadsheet formatted so that they change colour depending on
>what value is input. basically, i want to know if its possible for excel to
>recognise how many cells of a certain colour i have and then display the
>results numerically. is this possible?
>yet again, your really helping me out and it would be greatly appreciated.

0
Gord

Message colour ?
Hi All Someone recently sent me a email that shows up red in my message window ( I don't use the preview pane ). I don't have any message rules that would change the colour of that message or anything like that and the priority of the message is normal. Anybody have any ideas as to how this is done ? OL 2002. Cas It's done with the default automatic formatting rules -- View | Current View | Customize Current View | Automatic Formatting -- Sue Mosher, Outlook MVP Author of Microsoft Outlook Programming - Jumpstart for Administrators, Power Users, and Developers ...

Colour Rows in Datasheet based on three criteria
I was wondering whether it would be possible to colour rows in a datasheet (or continuous form) based on 3 criteria. Scenario is I have a series of jobs that can be either unassigned, assigned and finally "assigned and completed". I would like all rows that are "unassigned" to be one colour; all assigned jobs to be another colour and the final section to be a further different colour. thanking you in anticipation PMK On Mon, 17 Dec 2007 09:05:01 -0800, PMK <PMK@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >I was wondering whether it would be possible to colour r...

can i match a colour to its wavelength in nm
I have no clue what nm means? http://www.nattyware.com/pixie.html -- Mary Sauer MSFT MVP http://office.microsoft.com/ http://msauer.mvps.org/ news://msnews.microsoft.com "aquakem" <aquakem@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:C5542A16-0420-47AC-A1F1-F7C4E6A11B80@microsoft.com... > Mary Sauer <gsauer@mycolumbus.rr.com> was very recently heard to utter: > I have no clue what nm means? Nanometres. > http://www.nattyware.com/pixie.html Won't do it. http://members.cox.net/astro7/color.html claims to have a FORTRAN program that will do it....

Colour changes
Greetings from Downunder One of my colleagues sent me this, something of a puzzle. She is using XP and Office 2003:- In My Documents I have a folder of PPTs of hymns and songs that we use in church. I file any new songs here making sure that they are a golden yellow text on a very dark blue background. This is the way it has been for about 4-5 years. This morning I went to use some of them in the presentation for this coming Sunday - and would you believe they are now ALL pale yellow on a black background. Every last one of them - and each song is is a separate PPT file. ...

Why is colour printouts not same colour as in word?
When I print my logo from Word the colour is correct. When I copy it to Publisher and print it from there the colour comes out wrong. What could be the problem? Try importing the image rather than copy/paste. -- Mary Sauer MS MVP http://office.microsoft.com/ http://msauer.mvps.org/ news://msnews.microsoft.com "DvdM" <DvdM@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:E59B7744-C2FA-4A06-9778-96690CFFFE86@microsoft.com... > When I print my logo from Word the colour is correct. When I copy it to > Publisher and print it from there the colour comes out wrong. What co...

Change bkgnd colour for some words in CRichEditCtrl?
I'd like to be able to change the background colour for some of the text in a CRichEditCtrl. I'm comparing two files side-by-side in these controls and need to be able to highlight some text to illustrate the results. I could just change the text colour and make the font bold and/or larger, but highlighting similar to when text is selected would stand out better, especially if I could also change the text colour to suit. Is this possible? (I've seen it in some programs, but don't know if a CRichEditCtrl was used.) Any help appreciated, Steve C. ...

Voice Recognition
Can I use the Apple Voice Recognition software to dictate into Word or do I need other software? Hi Apple's voice recognition has limited capabilities. It's primary purpose is to assist those who want or need to have finder commands executed by speech. To handle the rigors of dictation you'll need a more robust tool. IBM's ViaVoice is just the ticket. http://www-3.ibm.com/software/voice/viavoice/ -Jim Gordon Mac MVP All responses should be made to this newsgroup within the same thread. Thanks. About Microsoft MVPs: http://www.mvps.org/ Search for help with the free Goog...

Removing Border lines and colour for All sheets
Hi Everyone, is it possible to write a macro to run every sheet and just remove border lines and colours for all cells in a sheet for every sheets in a workbook? I know macro is like this but can't really think how I can loop this. Can anyone help? Thanks alot Cells.Select Selection.Borders(xlDiagonalDown).LineStyle = xlNone Selection.Borders(xlDiagonalUp).LineStyle = xlNone Selection.Borders(xlEdgeLeft).LineStyle = xlNone Selection.Borders(xlEdgeTop).LineStyle = xlNone Selection.Borders(xlEdgeBottom).LineStyle = xlNone Selection.Borde...

colour recognition
hi guys, i may be chasing the impossible here, but here we go anyway. ive got cells in my spreadsheet formatted so that they change colour depending on what value is input. basically, i want to know if its possible for excel to recognise how many cells of a certain colour i have and then display the results numerically. is this possible? yet again, your really helping me out and it would be greatly appreciated. If you're using Format|conditional formatting to color those cells, then I think it would be easiest to just duplicate those rules in helper cells and then use those helper cel...

Code to change label colour
I want a label control of a tickbox on a form to change colour if it is checked, assuming the checked value is YES. I've tried this code but it doesn't work Private Sub txtwithdrawn_AfterUpdate() If Me.txtwithdrawn Is Yes Then Me.txtwithdrawn_Label.ForeColor = 255 End If End Sub Can anyone help me here. Thanks Tony Sorry for posting too swiftly, realised that checked value should be = True and it worked. Thanks Tony "Tony Williams" <tw@invalid.com> wrote in message news:eKob1EoYIHA.220@TK2MSFTNGP04.phx.gbl... >I want a label control of a tickbox on a form t...

Automating bubble chart colours
Does anyone know if the colour of a bubble within a chart can be conditionally formatted through reference to a cell within the spreadsheet ? I want the colour of each bubble within the chart to based on the result of a calculation within the spreadsheet. Currently the cells containing the calculation are conditionally formatted to give a red, amber, green result and I want to link the colour of the conditionally formatted cells to the colour of the associate bubble. (At the moment I update the bubbles manually) Hi, The normal work around for making a charts formatting conditional is...

Number colours
Hi, Is it possible to change to colour of a number to indicate whether it was positive or negative? IE - blue for positive numbers and red for negative. Thanks for any help. Matt. Matt Format>Cells>Number>Custom [Blue]#,##0.00;[Red]-#,##0.00 Gord Dibben Excel MVP On Thu, 11 Dec 2003 16:32:12 -0000, "The Stoat" <thefantstoat@lycos.co.uk> wrote: >Hi, > >Is it possible to change to colour of a number to indicate whether it was >positive or negative? IE - blue for positive numbers and red for negative. > >Thanks for any help. > >Matt. &...

MS Excel Can't Load Speech Recognition Files
Whenever I wake up my laptop from sleep mode, if Excel was running I get the message; "Microsoft Excel can't load speech recognition files. This feature is not currently installed. Would you like to install it now?" I've thought about letting it install, but I don't really want to the overhead on the system. Is this common? Any thoughts on what is causing it? kcc ...

Cell colours and font colours
I seem to remember that when you changed the cell to a very dark colour, the font automatically changed from black to white. My font setting is automatic colour but when I change the cell from no colour to black the cell contents do not display until I go and format the font to white from automatic. Is there something I need to set up elsewhere to make the font change colour automatically depending on my background colour? Thanks - Roger -- you can email me at (rogero) (at) (pobox) (dot) (com) I don't recall ever seeing this behavior. And it's a pretty common way to &quo...

Counting coloured cells?
I'd like to know how we can count coloured cells? i.e If cells A1 C1 E1 F1 and G1 are coloured, I’d like to know how I can see the total coloured cells in H1? I suppose it’s a little bit more complicated than it looks. Any help would be appreciated. Thank you. See your other post. No need to ask again. -- David Biddulph "Atomic" <Atomic@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:0D94F51D-E536-4342-BFB5-FF1DD2D1BE28@microsoft.com... > I'd like to know how we can count coloured cells? > > i.e > > If cells A1 C1 E1 F1 and G...

Page Layout - Page Colour
Word 2010 How do I create a default background colour In earlier versions this was done by Tools>Options>General and selecting the colouyr and this remained the default colour. Am able to open a blue background in Word 2010 but not able to make it the default colour so that it opens in blue automatically. Also Envelops - how can the return address be made the default address The option that you mention was dropped in Office 2007. If you create a template in which you set the background colour to Blue, and save that template, documents that you create from that templ...

Reverse colours
Re my post 'File conversion' I now find that when I try to colour text in blue it shows up red and vice versa. I've re-installed but it's still the same. Any ideas, work rounds etc? Thanks - Dave ...

Count coloured cells #2
Hi, Does anyone know of a way i can get Excel to count cells that have been designated a certain colour? Note that the colour is not dependant any any conditional formatting. Thanks, Nick Hi Have a look here: http://www.cpearson.com/excel/colors.htm -- Andy. "Nick" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:2bbf601c468b5$fa7b2440$a401280a@phx.gbl... > Hi, > > Does anyone know of a way i can get Excel to count cells > that have been designated a certain colour? > Note that the colour is not dependant any any conditional > formatting. ...

Colours
When I am doing a Cash Flow from time to time the result in the final (Final Balance) column is a negative one, e.g. -�500.00 To make it more noticeable I change the colour from black to read for that one cell. Is there a way of programming the Excel process, so that the negative balances are always automatically shown in read? If there is could that process be applied to other worksheets, where negative balances appear from time to time e.g. Use of Energy? There is nothing I can see in the Index in my book on Excel 2003. If there is a way of programming please give me the instructions in a ...

Apply Two Fill Colours Between Lines in a Chart
I am trying to produce a graph that tracks an actual performance against a target. When the actual performance is below the target, the area between them needs to be filled red. When the actual performance is above the target, the area between them needs to be filled green. I have followed the steps detailed in the TechTrax Article on "Apply Fill Color Between Lines in a Chart" (http://pubs.logicalexpressions.com/Pub0009/LPMArticle.asp?ID=590). This produced what I required except for the correct colouring. Is this possible? Hi It should be possible you just n...

Can I Sum by Cell Colour or Format?
I have a large list of values, these values have been colour coded. I would like to sum each of the colours seperately. I know i can add a filter, sort by colour & sum this for each coulour, but am wondering if there is a formula that would do this for me? Ashley, have a look here http://www.ozgrid.com/VBA/sum-count-cells-by-color.htm -- Mike When competing hypotheses are otherwise equal, adopt the hypothesis that introduces the fewest assumptions while still sufficiently answering the question. "Ashley" wrote: > I have a large list of values,...

The Fill colour icon is not showing the colours
The fill colour icon is not allowing me to insert or remove colours In Control Panel | Accessibility, make sure you haven't selected one of the High Contrast display options. -- Suzanne S. Barnhill Microsoft MVP (Word) Words into Type Fairhope, Alabama USA http://word.mvps.org "Fill colour icon" <Fill colour icon@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:BCF0AE02-C81B-44F9-B719-D9A2E8E6B8B2@microsoft.com... > The fill colour icon is not allowing me to insert or remove colours > ...

Grouping by Colour
I've highlighted a number of rows by red, green, and blue. Is it possible to sort the spreadsheet out by colour?, so that all the blue Rows are at the top, followed by the Red rows, and then the green Rows? Many thanks, AJ AJ Try Chip's site: http://www.cpearson.com/excel/SortByColor.htm Andy. "AJ" <aj.coles@chubb.co.uk> wrote in message news:09d301c380fb$3babd750$a101280a@phx.gbl... > I've highlighted a number of rows by red, green, and blue. > > Is it possible to sort the spreadsheet out by colour?, so > that all the blue Rows are at the top, ...

Count by Colour (Text) with other criteria
I have a range of data in cells G4:O181 I have used =COUNTIF($G$4:$O$181,"Debs") to count the number of occurences of Debs In some of the cells Debs is black text and some Debs is red text =(PERSONAL.XLS!CountByColor(G4:O181,3,TRUE)) will give me the total number of cells that have Red Text I have tried this formula to calculate the number of cells that are both Debs and red text =SUM(G4:O181="Debs")*((PERSONAL.XLS!CountByColor(G 4:O181,3,TRUE))), enterred as an array, but get the value zero How can I combine the two to get the result for the number of cells in the ra...

Tracking changes
I am using Word 2007, my track changes are set to change by "Author". When I track changes in a document they appear in red, no-one else makes any edits to my document, but when I open the document the next day, my changes appear in blue - they seem to change colour each day. Does anyone have any idea why this happens or how to stop this? I need to keep the changes set by "Author" as I also work with others on some documents + this is our system setting. Thank you. -- bradsmih When the colors are assigned "By author" you make sure that differe...